• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

X-COM: Enemy Unknown Game Informer Mag Details [Up8: Sid Meier Talks XCOM]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Minsc

Gold Member
Anyway I read somewhere wish i could remember where people saying that you can only take 4 people out on a mission now. I couldn't find anything about that via google so does anyone know if that is true? I assume it was mentioned in GameInformer if true.

If this is true, that's the worst news we've gotten yet. Especially in combination of being able to swap out one (or more) of those spots for heavy weapon vehicles. That would leave 2 units to take on the assault after your sniper grapples to the roofs. Doesn't sound like it should be correct.

No action points and no squaddies going berserk sounds bad. Especially the latter. Nothing like having your rocket launcher dude freak out and start firing randomly at everything that movies, including your own dudes. They should at least make that an option.

At least they can still panic, and the possibly for psi stuff seems like it is still in. The iron man mode if it happens, might accommodate a lot of these types of concerns too.

syllogism

Not sure if this has been mentioned, but the game informer also has a screenshot of the globe view. The interface looks pretty basic, I guess pressing a button brings up a menu or it's not the whole screen. Anyway it's quite pretty, there's a clock, "missions" and "upcoming events" tab. The upcoming events tab shows that Xenobiology research will complete in 4 days and there'll be a "Funding council report" in 30 days. Pressing "Y" lets you scan for ufos.

Acosta

No action points and no squaddies going berserk sounds bad. Especially the latter. Nothing like having your rocket launcher dude freak out and start firing randomly at everything that movies, including your own dudes. They should at least make that an option.

The new action point system sounds like King' Bounty almost, guess I'll have to wait to try it, but action points definitely gives you more flexibility and depth.

I don't care much for action points, yes for the berserk part. But for the wording I feel they are more concerned of avoiding it in a completely hopeless situation like being inside the transport, where the chances of survival for the squad is 0.

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
This is also a preview in Game Informer, I imagine all the info we're getting has a very console bent to it. The PC version might be different.

fresquito

This is also a preview in Game Informer, I imagine all the info we're getting has a very console bent to it. The PC version might be different.
Besides, the game is about a year off, I'm willing to think some things may change based on feedback from fans.

Almighty

I assume the 4 person limit assumption came from someone looking at this screenshot and only seeing four people: http://images.gamersyde.com/image_xcom_enemy_unknown-18003-2418_0001.jpg

That was what I was thinking as well. Since I can't seem to find anything about there being a four person limit and I would imagine if it was true there would be a huge fuss being made about it I am thinking its false. I was just hoping that someone who had the magazine could confirm if it was true.

Edit.

Thats wasn't where I read it, but I am willing to bet that is probably where it started from. I was worried there for a little while. If it was true it would of been the worst news I probably could of got about this game.

KKRT00

I want confirmation on only one thing, that this game wont have levels like ships from TFTD, damn i hated those, they were boring and annoying as hell and they lasted for hours sometimes. I dont mind to fight for 30-40 minutes, but longer encounters or searching for one alien for an hour wasnt fun at all.

ruttyboy

In addition to this:

Moving the the maximum of your unit's ability might invite additional retaliation as a penalty if it involves blindly charging in to the edges of the fog of war. Also I don't get what you're saying about cover. It seems like cover is implemented, and if you ignore it, it may cause higher risk of casualties. So moving further simply because you can would still be detrimental if it leaves you in the open. More screens would help a lot, I'd like to see how they handle the movement range for inside of closed rooms cloaked in darkness/fog of war, when you're standing right outside the door, unable to make any kind of assessment of where to move until mid movement when the door is opened and the room's contents are revealed.

Yes, it might, but the same was true in the original. I'm saying that in the original, for every character, every turn, you have a choice that is as complex as the number of action points you have (divided by the points the actions consume), from the sounds of this your choices are move/not move and then move/don't move (so have a snapshot ready)/fire and that's it.

What I'm talking about with the cover is to do with the kneeling, kneeling would alter the lines of sight, make you harder to hit and more accurate but at the expense of some other action as it consumed time. In this new one you're more like a chess piece.

Also, as different characters had different amounts of action points available to them due to their stats and equipment load that is another layer of complexity (choice) that this design decision removes almost completely.

X-Com was amazing because of it's complexity, the small decisions you made could have big consequences, now I fear it is flowchart-win time.

Similarly with the base construction, having several bases and different defenses and installations at each could have huge ramifications if the wrong one got raided at the wrong time. Your decisions on which facilities you put where and the design of the bases themselves actually mattered. Now you lose a radar or a hanger away from the main base, it might be an inconvenience but, hey, we'll build another with the cookie cutter.

I'm not saying that this is going to be a bad game, it's just that it's looking more and more like X-Com-lite. It's another case of them 'reimagining' a deep complex game with a hardcore dedicated fanbase who love that complexity and then designing a game to market to another group of people.

Llyranor

No AP is the most worrisome part for me so far. Some of you say it's no big deal, but I actually think it is. It's a significant loss of flexibility.

What happens to... turning? No turning? One free turn per move? No directional line of sight, thus making turning irrelevant?

You are crossing a narrow intersection. Buildings are making line of sight very limited. You probe towards the intersection. You turn right, no alien. You turn left, no alien. Okay, it seems safe, you keep walking towards the other end of the intersection. What happens if you have no AP? Is the bilateral checking automatic? (eg. no directional line of sight, only 'fog of war'), is there NO checking possible? (how do you know if it's safe) Even if you get one free turning opportunity per move, that's still just one.

What if you are gauging the safety of a building and checking every window. It's a small walking distance, so being able to only do two move actions that turn isn't necessarily reasonable. But if you walk towards one window, check through it, walk to the next, check, and etc. That flexibility is also lost. Being able to do these little probing moves was important because it was a tense game. Where were the aliens?? Hiding behind that wall? Behind that door I just opened? Near those windows?

It also removes some flexibility of cooperation btw teammates. You take a few steps, alien spotted. Okay, guy with big gun, take him out. You swap back and forth between teammates. If you only get set actions (move or shoot), you can only do a full move (or maybe you have to do a full turn before being able to switch between characters), and only then can you get an ally to help you out. That again removes the flexibility.

This is more significant for me than the 4-char rumor. This isn't merely 'streamlining'.

fanboi

Banned
In this picture there are more then 4 units atleast...

MissionCtrl1280_1326147240.jpg

So far I have no issues with any of this. One base is a little strange but I guess it makes sense, I always had one big alpha base and then a bunch of listening posts/hangars all over the world anyway.

Minsc

Gold Member

gamespy said:
We can only see four XCOM soldiers in this shot, and there are only four blue dots on the radar in the upper left. This could indicate that the squad size in XCOM will be far smaller than in the original game, which started you with eight soldiers and allowed you to control up to 24 in late-game missions. On the other hand, this could simply be an early mission.

:lol true, but a little misleading, you should have a full squad of 14 soldiers for your first mission if you want to get the gene pool going properly, as red shirts are an extremely useful commodity for taking on dangerous tasks, like leaving the transport ship.

ufopaedia.org said:
The Skyranger is a supersonic transport capable of transporting up to fourteen X-COM soldiers to any point on the globe. It can also carry Heavy Weapons Platforms in the place of four soldiers each.

Also:

ufopaedia.org said:
The Avenger is the ultimate replication of Alien technology. It is both the best troop transporter and best interceptor available in the game.
It has sufficient room to carry 26 soldiers (or a mix of soldiers and up to four Heavy Weapons Platforms). Due to the 80 item limit, 26 soldiers will cause difficulties in inventory juggling. To get around this, bring some HWPs , don't fill the Avenger to full capacity, or get your unarmed troops to pick up weapons off fallen enemies.

So the comparison would be from ~26 members in the original to 4 members from the screenshot in the new game. Ridiculous, as with 26 you can create multiple squads of units to cover and explore different directions (essential for staying on top of terror missions), with 4 member you can probably manage to go in just one direction.

Llyranor

So the comparison would be from ~26 members in the original to 4 members from the screenshot in the new game. Ridiculous, as with 26 you can create multiple squads of units to cover and explore different directions (essential for staying on top of terror missions), with 4 member you can probably manage to go in just one direction.
Yeah, multi-teams was great. Having suicide teams made up of rookies to probe dangerous territory was hilarious.

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
The new info about AP and whatnot is interesting. I'm a little concerned about a possible reduction in strategy, but will withhold judgement since we don't know all the facts yet.

Just like how Diablo 3's supposed "simplifying" of the skill system actually made it more complex, there is probably more to this than what we know now.

Based on what?

That was a joke.

subversus

I've done nothing with my life except eat and fap
Based on what?

Well, you have to keep in memory all 20 soldiers with their AI routines and what they did. On the other hand I don't have an experience with the hardware so I might be wrong.

BUT IT'S ALWAYS RAM ON CONSOLES

Some of you guys and your attitudes towards rookies... They're human beings god damn it, it's your responsibility to bring them back alive. Smh

Minsc

Gold Member
Well, you have to keep in memory all 20 soldiers with their AI routines and what they did. On the other hand I don't have an experience with the hardware so I might be wrong.

BUT IT'S ALWAYS RAM ON CONSOLES

But the original game had possibly more complex AI and only needed 4MB of RAM! :)

Jintor

There aren't any human beings in this war, Neuromancer. If I have to throw every last one of you rookie bastards into that alien combine harvester to rid us of these grey sectoid bastards so help me God I'll do it.

Hell, fail your psi-ops check and you'll find yourself strapped securely in the back of a Skyranger being stun-prodded every turn just to keep the best minds of their generation occupied while the rest of your platoon murder the hell out of those muton scum.

No AP? How will it work? Kinda like Fallout Tactics? Wonder if there's a pause button or something. Intriguing nonetheless. More and more details that makes me want to play this.

Can't wait!

If we have only one heavy plasma then the first rookie out of the skyranger has it. If he falls then the next rookie picks it up, and so on. This is the life of a rookie. The aliens must be exterminated at all costs.

Mindlog

I can live with the bonus for bringing people back alive... The first game did this as well. Casualties lowered your rating.
Similarly, I can tolerate losing the action point stuff. Hopefully they have some perks that let you sacrifice the ability to fire for an additional movement turn.

4 people per squad though.
I hope that's just speculation.
I lose 4 people opening a door.

epmode

For serious. The friendly kill count is part of the fun! But it only works when you have cannon fodder.

Not to mention that it'd be pretty dull if it didn't have you moving various squads across the map at the same time.

edit: That arrow pointing off the radar in the battle screenshot has me hopeful that it's pointing to other squad members? Aiee, I hope someone clarifies this soon.

When I played X Com I ussually ran a squad of 10-12 each divided into a 3 or 4 person squad . Its always fun to have a fireteam just HP autocannon an area where a scout spotted an enemy.

Losing time units really deflates me as far as this game being an xcom game goes.

I'll buy it anyway if it shapes up to be a good strategy game, but TU's were quite a large part of what made the tactical battles so fun and unconstrained.

Maybe this will be a decent enough introductory title and it mostly looks the part but the game design looks a little boring for my money and that is something a strategy game can't afford.

I'm really warming to the art - it's a lovely updating of Enemy Unknown's characterful, cartoonish art without the rough edges. While it might be missing the Gerry Anderson UFO flavour of the original, it certainly impresses far more than any of the spiritual sequels over the years - including, I'm sad to say, Xenonauts.

I'm really warming to the art - it's a lovely updating of Enemy Unknown's characterful, cartoonish art without the rough edges. While it might be missing the Gerry Anderson UFO flavour of the original, it certainly impresses far more than any of the spiritual sequels over the years - including, I'm sad to say, Xenonauts.

Note to the 2k games employee paid to read this thread. Get the Danger 5 people to do the release trailer.

Note to the 2k games employee paid to read this thread. Get the Danger 5 people to do the release trailer.

Heh :)

Given what Firaxis seem to be managing so far, I'd not be surprised if they hit a few of the campy-but-creepy notes from the original anyway.

Can't wait to see what they've done to the Chrysalids - those pincer-handed, egg-laying fuckers were the bane of my terror mission career. Always thought Niklas Jansson - http://itchstudios.com/psg/rebelsquad/rebelsquad.htm#chryssalids - did some nice work on concepts for a new version of Xcom, and his Chrysalid brute was pretty cool.

EDIT:

...and for anyone who likes that, check out his work on Kawaiik - http://androidarts.com/kawaiik/kawaiik.htm - or Doctor Who - http://www.itchstudios.com/psg/doctorwho/doctorwho.htm - or Kid Icarus - http://androidarts.com/kidicarus/kid_icarus.htm. The guy should be doing this for a living, if he's not already gainfully employed by a game company somewhere...

Truant

I'm in a weeeeeeird place.

This game has what appears to be awesome gameplay, but terrible art design.

XCOM fps has amazing art design, but terrible looking gameplay.

Everything continues to look and sound great. 4 people squads is foolishness; there's no reason to believe that right now.

My favorite piece of art is the sectoids:

Picture%202%2015-03-36.png

They're like, the evil ET's Spielberg always wanted.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom