• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

X-Men ‘97 | Official Trailer

RavageX

Some of this has been talked up, but it still sounds like a modern show that's pretending.....have all the episodes been produced for binge watching or is it weekly?

I'll wait till it is all released maybe.

Last edited:

K' Dash

Honestly, I love the show, but this shit with Morph x Wolverine is ruining a good time.

Let me be clear, I don't care that Morph is identifying as non-binary or that he's been given more of a role than he ever. No issue there.

Like anything else, it's how they are doing it.

I watch the show with my young son and he's asking why "Wolverine's friend" always turns into a girl or why he wanted to get in the shower with him? I shouldn't be fielding questions like that on a kid's show.

Children are innocent and the fact that my six year old is asking questions like this means that it's certainly more than being suggested if he's picking up on it, as he is not aware of much of the connotations of what's being said.

Obviously, Morph is a shapeshifter so he can turn into male or female but so far he seems to prefer female characters. However, the emphasis being placed on his sexuality is so far left field. Plus the odd sexual tension with Wolverine is evidently being forced because he was never like that previously, and if he was they never wasted crucial minutes of the show's 30-minute window elaborating on it.

Makes me wonder if this cringe take on beloved characters is what led to Beau DeMayo's abrupt departure?

it's just a bromance dude, don't look that much into it.

K' Dash

Wow, Episode 3 is even worse than the previous two. That takes skill.

Also why is sex/gender so important all of a sudden? It does not match tonally with the rest of the series and seems clearly done because of modern day slacktivism.

unimpressed michael keaton GIF

AREYOUOKAY?

Until we see them animate Morph going into Wolverines bub hole then nothing is really going on at the moment.

Unless the show creators retcon this after many years.

Dg06W5k.jpg
DcODems.jpg

Nightcrawler wouldn't approve of those two being a couple.

g5CdMdQ.jpg

5BysCdF.jpg

Last edited:

AREYOUOKAY?

I thought this episode was ass.

zC4g8dD.jpg

Or maybe my expectations were too high? Like I wanted to see Longshot in action again with it being a Mojo episode or at least half of one.

I still want an actual X-Men 97 game made. Disney needs to have a chat with Dotemu right away.

Last edited:

tkscz

This one should not have been split in two. Both episodes felt a little rush because of that, especially Motendo's. Also by 97 we had the PS1 and N64 so 3D was in.

That said what we did get wasn't by any means bad, just felt like the focus was off because of the shortened times. I hate the liar revealed troupe though.

AREYOUOKAY?

Also by 97 we had the PS1 and N64 so 3D was in.
While I also think they could have went with a console that wasn’t 16-bit like the Saturn as the Motendo console we still had amazing 2D sprites in 97 when it came to arcade games thanks to Capcom and SNK.

Also if you can believe it we still had a few Genesis games released in 97 like this Jurassic park game.

One last X-Men (Woman) game could have been released during that year.

Last edited:

Faust

Perpetually Tired
Staff Member
I am always a sucker for video game themed moments, and whenever they were just in the game with the pixel artstyle? It was fantastic.

But sadly it keeps switching back to the awful flash-level animation.

BadBurger

Is 'That Pure Potato'
Episode 4 was amazing. What a clever fusion of animated narrative television and retro gaming. Also cool seeing a villain I haven't seen since I was reading my older brother's comics as a kid.

Though it made me really dislike Sunspot. What a weakling. Just use your fucking powers you dumb bitch. What an unrealistic character. The only weak character writing in the series so far IMO. Imagine having your life being immediately threatened over and over, and just running, when you could easily destroy those trying to kill you.

Laughably bad character writing.

AREYOUOKAY?

Episode 4 was amazing. What a clever fusion of animated narrative television and retro gaming. Also cool seeing a villain I haven't seen since I was reading my older brother's comics as a kid.

Though it made me really dislike Sunspot. What a weakling. Just use your fucking powers you dumb bitch. What an unrealistic character. The only weak character writing in the series so far IMO. Imagine having your life being immediately threatened over and over, and just running, when you could easily destroy those trying to kill you.

Laughably bad character writing.
Really is the worst character in the show. Absolutely insufferable.

Immediately.

Hot damn that episode was amazing. That said
Cable showing up before it all went down tells me time traveling will probably undo this at some point.
Not many people remember but…

Cable

Showed up in the original series too. His first appearance was him actually attempting to kill the man responsible for upgrading the sentinels/making the collars.

I hope they actually give him an episode to show
how many times he has been trying to change things but it just feels like an endless whack-a-mole situation.

Edit: Does anyone feel that this show will do their own version of Old Man Logan? I feel like we’re slowly heading that way depending on how dark the next season(s) go.

Last edited:

tkscz

Not many people remember but…

Cable

Showed up in the original series too. His first appearance was him actually attempting to kill the man responsible for upgrading the sentinels/making the collars.

I hope they actually give him an episode to show
how many times he has been trying to change things but it just feels like an endless whack-a-mole situation.

Edit: Does anyone feel that this show will do their own version of Old Man Logan? I feel like we’re slowly heading that way depending on how dark the next season(s) go.
I remember. I'm fact, I remember specifically when he was going through his list of X-Men, he reaches Scott and Jean and tells his computer to skip them, he knows all about them.

jason10mm

Gold Member
Wow, ep 5 is straight atomic FIRE!

My son is now 1000% on board with xmen. Going through the old series and fired up the 2001 film.

Then I got to explain nazis, jews, concentration camps, and how cage fight betting works, all in about 15 minutes :per

Can not WAIT till X2!! And then he get to see Deadpool in....Wolverine Origins? Hee hee.

BadBurger

Is 'That Pure Potato'
Episode 5 hurt my feelings.

Edit: for clarification

Scene: Gambit see yo bet. And raise it!

😢

Last edited:
Honestly, I love the show, but this shit with Morph x Wolverine is ruining a good time.

Let me be clear, I don't care that Morph is identifying as non-binary or that he's been given more of a role than he ever. No issue there.

Like anything else, it's how they are doing it.

I watch the show with my young son and he's asking why "Wolverine's friend" always turns into a girl or why he wanted to get in the shower with him? I shouldn't be fielding questions like that on a kid's show.

Children are innocent and the fact that my six year old is asking questions like this means that it's certainly more than being suggested if he's picking up on it, as he is not aware of much of the connotations of what's being said.

Obviously, Morph is a shapeshifter so he can turn into male or female but so far he seems to prefer female characters. However, the emphasis being placed on his sexuality is so far left field. Plus the odd sexual tension with Wolverine is evidently being forced because he was never like that previously, and if he was they never wasted crucial minutes of the show's 30-minute window elaborating on it.

Makes me wonder if this cringe take on beloved characters is what led to Beau DeMayo's abrupt departure?
That's pretty fucked up. I started watching this with my 9 and 6 year old. Looks like I'll stop.

jason10mm

Gold Member
That's pretty fucked up. I started watching this with my 9 and 6 year old. Looks like I'll stop.
FWIW that scene reads more like a bit of adult innuendo, its pretty easy to slip right past it, especially as it takes place admist a nightmare psychic assault.

I mean, the show also has a character emotionally (at the very least) cheating on his wife WHO JUST HAD A BABY. That ought to lead to some uncomfortable conversations with your kids as well. Or another character who can fuck (and this is EXPLICITLY referenced) one guy but not another and she can't really deconflict it.

This show isn't aimed at 6 year olds, its more of a tween/teen target, I'd say. My 11 yo is navigating it with some input from me, just like the PG-13 films. While it went over my head as a younger man, the "mutants as proxies for LGBT, POC, HIV+, etc etc" analogy is on front street here, just like it was in the 2000 film and the original cartoon and the entire run of the x-men comics since the 60's or whatever. I think that is why it is both EXTREMELY appealing for teens going through puberty themselves and uncomfortable for parents (we are the "normie humans" in the x-men world).

AREYOUOKAY?

Really? Back to this over exaggerated Morph nonsense again?

If I had a choice between a Morph and Sunspot getting killed off and removed from the show I’d go with Sunspot because he’s just that awful.

Last edited:

Dr. Claus

Vincit qui se vincit
This is highly mediocre. Just finished episode 5 and all I can give is an exasperated sigh. What happened between now and the 90s? Did every western writer have a collective stroke?

Sunspot, Morph, the wholly uninteresting returning characters. Hell, that isn’t even to mention the flash level animation.

DeafTourette

Perpetually Offended
Which is an asinine decision. The original show was an all ages show with some good themes for kids. Some episodes requiring parental guidance.

This is just a poorly written tumblr fanfic. I know the original writers are here, but they clearly forgot how to write a series.

Weird... Most people are praising this show. You and a few others keep saying how bad this show is. Can you elaborate why you feel that way?

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
I’m watching the original show with my daughter and she keeps asking about Rogue and if she marries Gambit. She wants to finish this before she watches 97. She did ask me if Mojo was a boy or girl. She read The House of M and From the Ashes. She watched X-Men movies 1-3 and Wolverine Origins. She’s loving it. She educated me on Wolverine’s love life.

Writers should stick to making interesting characters like Mojo, so they don’t have to make it so obvious.

Dr. Claus

Vincit qui se vincit
Weird... Most people are praising this show. You and a few others keep saying how bad this show is. Can you elaborate why you feel that way?
It has been stated and discussed as nauseum here and elsewhere and you have repeatedly dismissed the statements made.

It has been stated and discussed as nauseum here and elsewhere and you have repeatedly dismissed the statements made.
This is highly mediocre. Just finished episode 5 and all I can give is an exasperated sigh. What happened between now and the 90s? Did every western writer have a collective stroke?

For the sake of decent conversation, which western-created TV shows (animated or live action) from the past 3 years would you recommend people watch in place of this show?

Just looking for some recent positive recommendations.

jason10mm

Gold Member
For the sake of decent conversation, which western-created TV shows (animated or live action) from the past 3 years would you recommend people watch in place of this show?

Just looking for some recent positive recommendations.
Primal, for starters. Holy hell that show is great, though season 2 goes some weird places (even considering how weird S1 is, quite the feat!). NOT FOR KIDS!!!
Lower Decks is also great, the best team cooperative Trek experience in DECADES.
Arcane (I think that was the name) on netflix was fun, surprisingly good character development and action
The DnD podcast show, blanking on their name, has the big dumb barbarian, the elven twins, etc, is decent, if a bit heavy on the potty humor and what must be call backs to the podcast.

Anyway, not sure if these shows refute any complaints about X-men '97, but for my money they are good animated shows worth watching. Rick and Morty as well, though that should be obvious.

Top Bottom