• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

X-Men ‘97 | Official Trailer

tkscz

Glad to see they took a different direction with Madelyn Pryor and Scott allowing her to just leave instead of forcing Scott to choose Jean causing Madelyn to go crazy.

OmegaSupreme

advanced basic bitch
Episode 3 is a big step up. The film grain/digital noise is still driving me up a wall but I'll get used to it. It's a shame we haven't gotten a live action Sinister yet but they'd probably just fuck it up.

ManaByte

Gold Member
AOBJ9XB.jpg

Heimdall_Xtreme

Jim Ryan Fanclub's #1 Member
The peak era of Marvel.

Magneto, Psylocke, Storm vs Magneto, Psylocke, Sentinel... With the blaster Glitch of Cable.... And the super punch of Captain Commando 😂😂😂

Last edited:
He/she/it kinda already did in the first ep, IIRC, but if they try to do the scene with Mystique and Wolverine in X2 thenI'd expect to see small bits of morph being fed to some snapping turtles in short order :p

Agreed

It'll be funny to see since I believe Disney is still dragging thier feet on really toning down the SJW shit or completely scrubbing future Movies/Shows of it

Last edited:

jason10mm

Gold Member
Is this worth watching ?
Yes. So far the first few eps are quite good. A bit of signaling of mutants as proxies for disenfranchised groups, but that's kinda baked into the X-men anyway, just more obvious since we all know about it now (as a kid that stuff went right over my head).

jufonuk

not tag worthy
Yes. So far the first few eps are quite good. A bit of signaling of mutants as proxies for disenfranchised groups, but that's kinda baked into the X-men anyway, just more obvious since we all know about it now (as a kid that stuff went right over my head).
Same as it ever was. Cool I think I’m going to start watching this. Tbh I can’t remember where I got up to in the original series.

TheMan

So far, not a fan. Animation is weak, narrative is barebones, and the “drama” isn’t interesting.
That’s where I’m kind of at although I’m starting to warm up just a bit.

That said I can’t stand how they change magneto’s costume

If its anything other than morph being a super creep playing Jean Grey to gaslight Wolverine then there will be hell to pay.

Honestly, I love the show, but this shit with Morph x Wolverine is ruining a good time.

Let me be clear, I don't care that Morph is identifying as non-binary or that he's been given more of a role than he ever. No issue there.

Like anything else, it's how they are doing it.

I watch the show with my young son and he's asking why "Wolverine's friend" always turns into a girl or why he wanted to get in the shower with him? I shouldn't be fielding questions like that on a kid's show.

Children are innocent and the fact that my six year old is asking questions like this means that it's certainly more than being suggested if he's picking up on it, as he is not aware of much of the connotations of what's being said.

Obviously, Morph is a shapeshifter so he can turn into male or female but so far he seems to prefer female characters. However, the emphasis being placed on his sexuality is so far left field. Plus the odd sexual tension with Wolverine is evidently being forced because he was never like that previously, and if he was they never wasted crucial minutes of the show's 30-minute window elaborating on it.

Makes me wonder if this cringe take on beloved characters is what led to Beau DeMayo's abrupt departure?

Honestly, I love the show, but this shit with Morph x Wolverine is ruining a good time.

Let me be clear, I don't care that Morph is identifying as non-binary or that he's been given more of a role than he ever. No issue there.

I watch the show with my young son and he's asking why "Wolverine's friend" always turns into a girl or why he wanted to get in the shower with him? I shouldn't be fielding questions like that on a kid's show.

Children are innocent and the fact that my six year old is asking questions like this means that it's certainly more than being suggested if he's picking up on it, as he is not aware of much of the connotations of what's being said.

Obviously, Morph is a shapeshifter so he can turn into male or female but so far he seems to prefer female characters. However, the emphasis being placed on his sexuality is so far left field. Plus the odd sexual tension with Wolverine is evidently being forced because he was never like that previously, and if he was they never wasted crucial minutes of the show's 30-minute window elaborating on it.

Makes me wonder if this cringe take on beloved characters is what led to Beau DeMayo's abrupt departure?

I'll be so mad if they turn Logan gay

DeafTourette

Perpetually Offended
That’s where I’m kind of at although I’m starting to warm up just a bit.

That said I can’t stand how they change magneto’s costume

It's straight from the comics...
a84oC6X.jpg

WTH are you talking about?! Logan STAYS longing after Jean! Him and Morph are mates... That's it! There's been NO focus on his sexuality... Not even a mention! All they've shown is that Morph and Logan are best friends. That's it!

It's straight from the comics...
a84oC6X.jpg

WTH are you talking about?! Logan STAYS longing after Jean! Him and Morph are mates... That's it! There's been NO focus on his sexuality... Not even a mention! All they've shown is that Morph and Logan are best friends. That's it!

We shall see what happens between Logan and Morph at the end of this Season. If a gay romance happens between both of them, I'll be rightfully pissed..

I didn't say Wolverine was longing for Morph. It's quite the opposite, actually.

And you and I must have a different definition of mates.

I'm going to assume you didn't watch episode three since you haven't directly addressed anything I mentioned, and where it's arguably the most obvious what's being suggested.

I didn't say Wolverine was longing for Morph. It's quite the opposite, actually.

And you and I must have a different definition of mates.

I'm going to assume you didn't watch episode three since you haven't directly addressed anything I mentioned, and where it's arguably the most obvious what's being suggested.

Yep I immediately noticed it right away. I don't think he saw the third episode yet.

I'm guessing that's why that guy got let go and not because he had an onlyfans

DeafTourette

Perpetually Offended
We shall see what happens between Logan and Morph at the end of this Season. If a gay romance happens between both of them, I'll be rightfully pissed..

It's not. Because that's not following the arc of Logan. In '97, all he's been doing is lusting after Jean. Look Ep 2 when "Jean" gives birth... She looks in his mind and she sees how much he loves her. (At least I think that's the episode)...

Logan has only ever loved women. Morph MIGHT be in love with Logan but he ain't going to return that affection. That's his boy... Not his FWB.

It's not. Because that's not following the arc of Logan. In '97, all he's been doing is lusting after Jean. Look Ep 2 when "Jean" gives birth... She looks in his mind and she sees how much he loves her. (At least I think that's the episode)...

Logan has only ever loved women. Morph MIGHT be in love with Logan but he ain't going to return that affection. That's his boy... Not his FWB.

Yet if that happens, why make Morph gay? They weren't gay before? Why is this a thing? It's totally unnecessary and just makes me roll my eyes

If Logan rejects him, it would still be Agenda Pushing

Last edited:

DeafTourette

Perpetually Offended
Yet if that happens, why make Morph gay? They weren't gay before? Why is this a thing? It's totally unnecessary and just makes me roll my eyes

They never said Morph is gay. Just non- binary

That just means they don't identify with either gender but have personality traits for both. Mystique is non-binary... Both she and Morph ... Morph into either sex. I think the difference is, Morph also copies the abilities of whoever he morphs into.

They never said Morph is gay. Just non- binary

That just means they don't identify with either gender but have personality traits for both. Mystique is non-binary... Both she and Morph ... Morph into either sex. I think the difference is, Morph also copies the abilities of whoever he morphs into.

Yet that wasn't a big deal from what I remember of what I watched of X-Men? Might be wrong but has he shown any interest in guys and girls in the previous seasons before X-Men 97? Since I only watched the first two seasons?

Also non binary wasn't a thing back than either, why bring that up now. I don't care for pronouns in general..

Last edited:

DeafTourette

Perpetually Offended
Yet that wasn't a big deal from what I remember of what I watched of X-Men? Might be wrong but has he shown any interest in guys and girls in the previous seasons before X-Men 97? Since I only watched the first two seasons?
No. He may have shown interest in a woman... I don't remember but I don't remember him falling for anyone. He was too traumatized by what Sinister did to him... Making him hurt his family (the X-Men).

Non-binary folks can also be asexual. Just like straight or gay folks can be.

Also... She and he are pronouns...

Last edited:
No. He may have shown interest in a woman... I don't remember but I don't remember him falling for anyone. He was too traumatized by what Sinister did to him... Making him hurt his family (the X-Men).

Non-binary folks can also be asexual. Just like straight or gay folks can be.

As I said we shall see by the end of this season. I hope it's not a bait and switch but I wouldn't be surprised if this show turns out that way. Just my two cents

Never. Which is why it's so jarring. And again, it's not an issue of them being non-binary, it's the innuendo and agenda being pushed along with it, that's disappointing.

Even Sinister called it out, "As if I don't know. As if we all don't know."

Said as Morph blissfully but erroneously believes he's walking in on Wolverine in the shower and offers to help him get to hard to reach places.

DeafTourette

Perpetually Offended
Never. Which is why it's so jarring. And again, it's not an issue of them being non-binary, it's the innuendo and agenda being pushed along with it, that's disappointing.

Said as Morph blissfully but erroneously believes he's walking in on Wolverine in the shower and offers to help him get to hard to reach places.

What episode was that?

DeafTourette

Perpetually Offended
Please refrain from commenting further until you watch episode 3.

It was already clear you didn't.

I did watch episode 3... I just don't remember that part. I'ma watch it again now.

Madelyn was outed as a clone... She became the goblin queen... Hella powerful... Jean saved the team from Madelyn... They parted ways amicably.

Last edited:

Yeah and that's what I'm talking about here. This show is already turning into another bait and switch. I noticed that scene especially and it pissed me off immensely

DeafTourette

Perpetually Offended

Just saw the shower scene.

1. That wasn't sinister who said that. That was Jean's (Madelyn) hallucination Morph was having... Born from his fears

2. Morph was obviously joking. Yeah it sounded like innuendo but LOGAN himself isn't gay. Y'all keep hinting like they're going that route. Morph may be in the closet with his feelings for Wolverine...

3. Morph's sexuality was NEVER even known... Nor was he seen with a woman OR man.

4. Plenty of straight men joke with their mates like they're gay ... Might not be what is happening here, but yeah. It's a thing.

Just saw the shower scene.

1. That wasn't sinister who said that. That was Jean's (Madelyn) hallucination Morph was having... Born from his fears

2. Morph was obviously joking. Yeah it sounded like innuendo but LOGAN himself isn't gay. Y'all keep hinting like they're going that route. Morph may be in the closet with his feelings for Wolverine...

3. Morph's sexuality was NEVER even known... Nor was he seen with a woman OR man.

4. Plenty of straight men joke with their mates like they're gay ... Might not be what is happening here, but yeah. It's a thing.
Grasping at straws, man.

Who said it doesn't matter, though Morph clearly said something to the effect of "No, its you." As in the person he fears...Sinister.

Morph's sexuality was never known because it was never a story beat, before.

But if that's your take, okay.

george bush GIF

DeafTourette

Perpetually Offended
Grasping at straws, man.

Who said it doesn't matter, though Morph clearly said something to the effect of "No, its you." As in the person he fears...Sinister.

Morph's sexuality was never known because it was never a story beat, before.

But if that's your take, okay.

george bush GIF

I'm not grasping at straws. Madelyn was making EVERYONE's fear manifest. Not Sinister. Morph was traumatized by him. THAT'S his deepest fear! Just like Sunspot fears his parents knowing he's a mutant. Just like Gambit fears Rogue is leaving him for Mags. Just like Bishop's fear is his sister being gone in time. All of them had their fears made manifest. JEAN saved them. Or did you forget that?

I'm not grasping at straws. Madelyn was making EVERYONE's fear manifest. Not Sinister. Morph was traumatized by him. THAT'S his deepest fear! Just like Sunspot fears his parents knowing he's a mutant. Just like Gambit fears Rogue is leaving him for Mags. Just like Bishop's fear is his sister being gone in time. All of them had their fears made manifest. JEAN saved them. Or did you forget that?

My guy, you're grasping at straws because everything you're saying has nothing to do with the sexual innuendo suggesting Morph x Wolverine which is on full display in every episode but most blatantly obvious in episode 3.

Don't read it that way, fine? But you've said nothing to dispel what I and others have pointed out.

The internet is abuzz with chatter, seek and ye shall find it. We're all just imagining it?

You really are perpetually offended. And wrong (about this).

DeafTourette

Perpetually Offended
My guy, you're grasping at straws because everything you're saying has nothing to do with the sexual innuendo suggesting Morph x Wolverine which is on full display in every episode but most blatantly obvious in episode 3.

Don't read it that way, fine? But you've said nothing to dispel what I and others have pointed out.

The internet is abuzz with chatter, seek and ye shall find it. We're all just imagining it?

You really are perpetually offended. And wrong (about this).

I'm not offended.

However, I may be wrong. I've not said "I'm right and you're wrong". I even said it could be read as innuendo (the nightmare shower scene). I dunno.

But the X-Men have always been seen a proxy for the marginalized and persecuted in society... Whether that's black and brown folks or gay folks. Shoot, In the comics, Mystique is Nightcrawler's FATHER. Guys like Morph exist... It doesn't bother me. And no it wasn't something in the OG toon (which was VERY adult for it's time) but that was also the 90s where LGBT folks were still having laws put up against them. Some are still in place. The 90s also saw MUCH trepidation in putting LGBT stories in daytime or primetime shows. It was almost verboten.

Times change. Comfortability with the LGBT community has changed. And, IMO, this show isn't for kids anyway. Not with the implied sex with Rogue and Mags in episode 3.

I'm not offended.

However, I may be wrong. I've not said "I'm right and you're wrong". I even said it could be read as innuendo (the nightmare shower scene). I dunno.

But the X-Men have always been seen a proxy for the marginalized and persecuted in society... Whether that's black and brown folks or gay folks. Shoot, In the comics, Mystique is Nightcrawler's FATHER. Guys like Morph exist... It doesn't bother me. And no it wasn't something in the OG toon (which was VERY adult for it's time) but that was also the 90s where LGBT folks were still having laws put up against them. Some are still in place. The 90s also saw MUCH trepidation in putting LGBT stories in daytime or primetime shows. It was almost verboten.

Times change. Comfortability with the LGBT community has changed. And, IMO, this show isn't for kids anyway. Not with the implied sex with Rogue and Mags in episode 3.

Now, we agree on something.

Alas the comics are one thing, but the show...it's always had serious storytelling at the heart of it, which is what made it great and why it's so highly regarded. The way they are emphasizing whatever it is they're emphasizing, here, is a bit distasteful.

But I tell you what... Iet us reconvene next week and we'll see what has transpired since.

DeafTourette

Perpetually Offended
Now, we agree on something.

Alas the comics are one thing, but the show...it's always had serious storytelling at the heart of it, which is what made it great and why it's so highly regarded. The way they are emphasizing whatever it is they're emphasizing, here, is a bit distasteful.

But I tell you what... Iet us reconvene next week and we'll see what has transpired since.

Agreed.

One thing ... Someone said the show has weird film grain. I don't see any... Is something wrong with my interpretation of what the poster said?

Agreed.

One thing ... Someone said the show has weird film grain. I don't see any... Is something wrong with my interpretation of what the poster said?

I'm not sure what to make of that really. I saw the comment, but I haven't noticed it. Maybe it's the hardlines of the animation they're talking about?

Everything looks well animated and crisp, especially during that fight sequence in the church. It was "good" anime levels of animation. Thoroughly impressed.

DeafTourette

Perpetually Offended
I'm not sure what to make of that really. I saw the comment, but I haven't noticed it. Maybe it's the hardlines of the animation they're talking about?

Everything looks well animated and crisp, especially during that fight sequence in the church. It was "good" anime levels of animation. Thoroughly impressed.

Agreed. This episode in particular was VERY anime inspired! The designs, the snappiness of the animation, etc. Like during the nightmare stuff .... I was like... "Is this X-Men or Neon Genesis?"

You guys went on full deep dive rants about Wolverine and Morph based on one guy saying 'I heard rumors' with zero sources.

Fun stuff.

Not sure that's how I'd describe it.

Besides, why would we need sources for something we've observed ourselves watching a show?

This isn't videogames where we're lacking first-hand knowledge or context.

Besides, why would we need sources for something we've observed ourselves watching a show?

This isn't videogames where we're lacking first-hand knowledge or context.
Because even video game rumors have a leaker, link, or insider. The guy above posted neither, and when I looked at his past post history, nothing points out to him being an insider of anything or knowing anyone. He essentially did this:

metal-gear-rising-metal-gear-rising-revengeance.gif

If that's all it takes to rile people up into posting and even defending him like yourself, then I guess I should start making up some stuff myself regarding future episodes, just to get more post engagement and X-men fans to argue.

Last edited:
Because even video game rumors have a leaker, link, or insider. The guy above posted neither, and when I looked at his past post history, nothing points out to him being an insider of anything or knowing anyone. He essentially did this:

metal-gear-rising-metal-gear-rising-revengeance.gif

If that's all it takes to rile people up into posting and even defending him like yourself, then I guess I should start making up some stuff myself regarding future episodes, just to get more post engagement and X-men fans to argue.
Ok

Top Bottom