• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

'X-Men: Dark Phoenix' to be "grounded"

I think if Fox really wants to get main series X-Men back on track, they need to ditch Kinberg. It really shows when all of the non-Kinberg movies are doing just fine. Days of Future Past was great and all, but his creative influence on Fox's Marvel properties has been a net negative. He has no idea what the fuck he's doing. He's the Scott Buck of film producers.

After seeing Logan, who the fuck asked for this? That should've been the swan song for anything and everything X-Men related for at least 10 years. Then do a reboot.

This is even worse of an idea than what Kinberg would come up with. Just stop making movies in a consistently profitable franchise for a decade, then start over.

X-Men has been soft rebooted 2-3 times already. They don't need another reboot. They just need to move on. Deadpool 2 makes sense. New Mutants makes sense. X-Force makes sense. Hell, even a Gambit movie makes a little sense, as long as it's small in scale and budget. A 'grounded' Phoenix movie makes no goddamn sense.

Hey man, Catelyn was great too, everybody forgets about Cat :(

But in general I agree, a lot of these actors who have "graduated" from Game of Thrones (mainly the young ones) are being given extremely lucararitive roles in spite of their actual acting ability.

She does a better job at acting than JLAW and she did fine in apocalypse.

S1kkZ

"grounded" = apocalyse underperformed at the box office so our budget for this was cut down.

i guess grounded sounds a lot better than: we have not enough money for jlaw and all that cosmic bullshit.

Monocle

Wait, hold on, it's Sophie Turner's version of Jean Grey in this movie?

I actually like the actress but I don't think she's right for the role.

I've never really bothered to see the X-Men films myself, but... Have they handled Jean Grey competently at all in these films, nevermind the Phoenix? Because I'm pretty sure they keep missing the point, especially since the Dark Phoenix in the films has never gotten the kind of proper buildup seen in the original Claremont story, as far as I know. Do these films even have the Hellfire Club?

The X-Men films just sound like such a mixed bag.

Great news as far as I'm concerned.

This is X-Men grounded:
And this is X-Men hammy:

I'll fucking take grounded any day of the week.
Its great news that a story about a space phoenix is grounded because a story about a dude driving around and scowling was a good movie?

I take your point but the saving grace of Logan wasn't that it was 'grounded.' Being 'grounded' wont make it anywhere near as good as Logan, especially when the subject matter wouldn't work as such.

GAMEPROFF

Banned
Is this going to be the next X-Movie? Because when it follows the rules of the franchise (shitty - great - shitty - great), its going to be a disasters since Logan was good.

Great news as far as I'm concerned.

This is X-Men grounded:

backgrounds_logan_outer.jpg

And this is X-Men hammy:

X-Men_-_Apocalypse.jpg

I'll fucking take grounded any day of the week.

lol, what silly argument.

Lets make a space movie with aliens and galactic entitys, but make it grounded.

NeoGAF.gif

firelogic

Of all the stories to ground, you chose the Dark Phoenix Saga? The movie about something called the Phoenix Force, possession, powers going ballistic, the SHIAR EMPIRE, intergalactic alien races...Good job Kinberg.

Daingurse

Phoenix Saga without the cosmic shit doesn't sound very appealing . . .

Of all the stories to ground, you chose the Dark Phoenix Saga? The movie about something called the Phoenix Force, possession, powers going ballistic, the SHIAR EMPIRE, intergalactic alien races...Good job Kinberg.

Lol. Fo'real.

Top Bottom