• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

'X-Men: Dark Phoenix' to be "grounded"

No matter the colour scheme, the X-Men just can't move away from (p)leather.
wmjo1olqdldtlvwtbtox.png

"What Would You Prefer, Yellow Spandex?"

I mean there's been several good films out of franchise well regarded both critically and commercially. Hit and miss sure but to so say they can't use the ip doesn't seem to hold up to any scrutiny.

to be fair its alot more miss then hit and i dont think anyonecan deny marvel adding them to the MCU would open up more opportunities

The first and most obvious reason is because giant multimedia companies don't just give up licensing rights to other ones, especially when those licensing rights lead to very large sums of money coming into the company. The idea that one should just give up those rights to another media conglomerate is fucking ridiculous

The second reason is that the studios in question are just that: studios. They're not a person. They're certainly not a person making the movies. Mac Fox isn't the guy writing the movie, Dennis Fox isn't the guy shooting it, Deandra Fox isn't the woman acting in it, etc. etc. Simply "giving the rights back" doesn't guarantee that Jeff Disney is going to write anything better, or that Jenny Disney is going to direct it to your personal satisfaction, either.

There have been good X-Men movies. Those movies were made for 20th Century Fox. That this movie might turn out bad isn't the greatest reason to suggest 20th Century Fox just... give up their rights to Walt Disney Pictures. Because it's very likely Marvel Studios would not have approved of something along the lines of X2, or First Class, or Days of Future Past, or Logan, or Deadpool. And what you might have gotten in exchange wouldn't be guaranteed to be that good, either.

Also, it's not as if Marvel Studios even wants the X-Men, and trying to fold that shit into what's currently going on over there would be a fucking nightmare of logistics, I'd bet. I'm sure if someone over there had a foolproof, strong-as-Colossus idea on how to make near a billion a film, every film, for the next 5 films with the X-Men, someone would have pitched that, and Marvel might have a reason to go and make a ridiculous deal with Fox to get those rights back. But it seems like nobody's got that idea, and nobody's made that pitch, and Marvel's certainly not trying to get the rights back so..

...yeah, asking for 20th Century Fox to just give up the rights to a studio that doesn't seem all that concerned with acquiring them and wouldn't necessarily do what you want them to do even if they did have them doesn't seem all that well thought out, which is why I roll my eyes at what isn't much more than superhero cinema port begging.

daemonic

Banned
I'll just have to rewatch the 90s Dark Phoenix saga and pretend the movie never existed when it releases. This franchise is slowly becoming the new Resident Evil.

night814

Go to your room X-Men: Dark Phoenix, you're grounded!

Lol this is perfect.

So cosmic entity takes over girl and causes her to do crazy amounts of intergalactic destruction, is going to be "grounded". My guess is they'll have her kill a few mutants for shock value and that will be about it.

That's been a problem with this series since X2. They tried waaay too hard to make it real and it doesn't work. The phoenix is a cosmic freakin entity. You can't ground that. Not even the edgy ultimate version of the phoenix is grounded. Gawd!

Why not a grounded R-rated adaptation of the Mutant Massacre? Xmen movies haven't really touched on the eugenics angle at all, and it's a good opportunity to have plenty of character moments and low-budget, visceral, close range fight scenes.

Ithil

The original Bryan Singer X-Men was also pretty grounded for it's time, and it worked out great. Even X-Men 2 was somewhat grounded compared to First Class/DofP/Apocalypse. No reason pulling away from the cheesiness can't work.

That was needed in 2000. It is not needed now, and the style of the first X-Men is incredibly dated in the era of Deadpool, GOTG or Wonder Woman.

Uzumaki Goku

The first and most obvious reason is because giant multimedia companies don't just give up licensing rights to other ones, especially when those licensing rights lead to very large sums of money coming into the company. The idea that one should just give up those rights to another media conglomerate is fucking ridiculous

The second reason is that the studios in question are just that: studios. They're not a person. They're certainly not a person making the movies. Mac Fox isn't the guy writing the movie, Dennis Fox isn't the guy shooting it, Deandra Fox isn't the woman acting in it, etc. etc. Simply "giving the rights back" doesn't guarantee that Jeff Disney is going to write anything better, or that Jenny Disney is going to direct it to your personal satisfaction, either.

There have been good X-Men movies. Those movies were made for 20th Century Fox. That this movie might turn out bad isn't the greatest reason to suggest 20th Century Fox just... give up their rights to Walt Disney Pictures. Because it's very likely Marvel Studios would not have approved of something along the lines of X2, or First Class, or Days of Future Past, or Logan, or Deadpool. And what you might have gotten in exchange wouldn't be guaranteed to be that good, either.

Also, it's not as if Marvel Studios even wants the X-Men, and trying to fold that shit into what's currently going on over there would be a fucking nightmare of logistics, I'd bet. I'm sure if someone over there had a foolproof, strong-as-Colossus idea on how to make near a billion a film, every film, for the next 5 films with the X-Men, someone would have pitched that, and Marvel might have a reason to go and make a ridiculous deal with Fox to get those rights back. But it seems like nobody's got that idea, and nobody's made that pitch, and Marvel's certainly not trying to get the rights back so..

...yeah, asking for 20th Century Fox to just give up the rights to a studio that doesn't seem all that concerned with acquiring them and wouldn't necessarily do what you want them to do even if they did have them doesn't seem all that well thought out, which is why I roll my eyes at what isn't much more than superhero cinema port begging.

Let me get this straight. You think Marvel doesn't want the X-Men back? One of their most popular properties, one of their top 3 franchises along with Spider-Man and Avengers? Yeah...

Rade141

Neo Member
to be fair its alot more miss then hit and i dont think anyonecan deny marvel adding them to the MCU would open up more opportunities

I can deny it. Why are people so desperate for X-men to go back into the MCU? Yeah there are misses, but there is also the first X-Men, X-Men 2, X-Men: First Class, X-Men: Days of Future Past, Deadpool and Logan, which was only released THIS YEAR. It is amazing how quickly people forget about good movies.
X-Men being folded into the MCU is going to open up more opportunities? What do you even mean by that?

neojubei

Will drop pants for Sony.
No matter the colour scheme, the X-Men just can't move away from (p)leather.
wmjo1olqdldtlvwtbtox.png

Deadpool should have shown fox that you can have a color costume that resembles the comic. I dont know why even after all these years and after the success of the marvel cinematic universe that the x-men cannot even wear their bright color awesome comic outfits. Just once i would like to see wolverine in his iconic comic outfit.

Let me get this straight. You think Marvel doesn't want the X-Men back? One of their most popular properties, one of their top 3 franchises along with Spider-Man and Avengers? Yeah...

They apparently do not. Certainly not enough to actually do anything about it. They seem more than satisfied with what they have.

What makes you think they do? What can you point to that shows Feige and the rest of the braintrust is thinking about ways to get X-Men back in the fold?

Deadpool should have shown fox that you can have a color costume that resembles the comic.

Deadpool IS Fox.

the problem isnt the studio. Its the filmmaker.

Tim Miller wanted that costume.

Bryan Singer doesn't.

Fox isnt either of those people

Uzumaki Goku

They apparently do not. Certainly not enough to actually do anything about it. They seem more than satisfied with what they have.

What makes you think they do? What can you point to that shows Feige and the rest of the braintrust is thinking about ways to get X-Men back in the fold?

Marvel would give up the rights to Ant Man, Black Panther, Captain Marvel, Dr. Strange etc in an instant if it meant they could have the X-Men back.

deim0s

Why is Jennifer Lawrence is still in there?

Mystique doesn't really fit with the Phoenix shenanigans (and space).

Grizzlyjin

Supersonic, idiotic, disconnecting, not respecting, who would really ever wanna go and top that
Marvel would give up the rights to Ant Man, Black Panther, Captain Marvel, Dr. Strange etc in an instant if it meant they could have the X-Men back.

No they wouldn't. That's like saying someone would trade $100 for $20.

neojubei

Will drop pants for Sony.
Deadpool IS Fox.

the problem isnt the studio. Its the filmmaker.

Tim Miller wanted that costume.

Bryan Singer doesn't.

Fox isnt either of those people

You are absolutely right. I'd have to side with comicgirl19 from youtube on how Singer portrays the x-men. There is no joy with the characters, everything is bleak and depressing. Deadpool injected it into the series and even gave us a fantastic Colossus.

So the story where one of the X-Men merges with a space god that takes the form of a fire bird, then is kidnapped and brainwashed by a one-percenter S&M club with a Hamilton fetish, then turns evil and destroys an inhabited star system for funsies. Then a bounty is placed on her head by and alien empire, and the X-Men must participate in gladiatorial combat for he life against Not-The-Legion-of-Superheroes on the moon? The story that ends with suicide by giant space laser?

Yeah, have fun grounding that.

Idiots.

itwasTuesday

He wasn't alone.
Going to ground it by having the whole movie set in Jason Wyngarde's head with a Victorian era backdrop. But they will still wear leather jumpsuits with airsoft gear.

So the story where one of the X-Men merges with a space god that takes the form of a fire bird, then is kidnapped and brainwashed by a one-percenter S&M club with a Hamilton fetish, then turns evil and destroys an inhabited star system for funsies. Then a bounty is placed on her head by and alien empire, and the X-Men must participate in gladiatorial combat for he life against Not-The-Legion-of-Superheroes on the moon? The story that ends with suicide by giant space laser?

Yeah, have fun grounding that.

Idiots.

This is all true.

It's also true that the central philosophical question of the storyline - if it's fair to judge your super powered friends for actions they commit that are out of their control - was already answered in the X series, multiple times, with mixed messages everywhere.

1) Nightcrawler attempts to assassinate the president at the beginning of X2... forgiven
2) Xavier nearly murders all of humanity in X2 while under mind control, murders most of the Xmen in Logan alternative timeline... forgiven
3) Jean kills Scott and Xavier and dozens of other mutants/humans in X3... and is killed by Wolverine
4) Magneto kills countless humans in original X1-X3 timeline, tries to kill the US/Soviet Navies and cripples Charles in First Class, attempts to kill Hank, Logan, Mystique, and the presidential cabinet in DoFP, kills literally millions of people in Apocalypse despite NOT being mind controlled - forgiven
5) Mystique spends decades as an extremist mutant terrorist, fucks all of humanity when her bloodlust leads to the creation of the sentinels, and her kidnapping leads to the Prime sentinels - forgiven
6) Sabertooth - spends 100 years committing war crimes, raping, and pillaging, kills all of his former work associates and kidnaps mutants for fun in Origins... forgiven

Of course THESE Xmen will fight for Jean... they're fucking monsters. With the ironic exception of Wolverine, who's been portrayed as a paragon of virtue in every appearance, even in the movie where he's supposed to start off bad (Origins) and the ones where he's jaded to the world (X1 and Logan).

I swear to god if Corsair shows up.

Someone with a little clout and a fully-formed pitch is gonna have to take a meeting with someone in production before that even begins to be a possibility.

Although all that someone really has to say is "you guys realize you already have the rights to a better version of Guardians of the Galaxy, right?"

Someone with a little clout and a fully-formed pitch is gonna have to take a meeting with someone in production before that even begins to be a possibility.

Although all that someone really has to say is "you guys realize you already have the rights to a better version of Guardians of the Galaxy, right?"

I don't even want to BEGIN to think about how current Fox would handle the Summers family. It would take one reel of one movie to just be a mess.

"FUCK IT THEY WERE ALL ALIENS" I suppose, the Star-Lord approach may work.

I don't even want to BEGIN to think about how current Fox would handle the Summers family.

Current Fox would be like "you want it like this, roll with it."

Current Fox seems to be applying the WB style of project management, honestly. "You wanna make Unforgiven + Shane? With Wolverine? Fuck it, go for it. Oh, you wanna do a spoof movie and cover up Ryan Reynolds' face. Sure. Here's 80 mil. Go apeshit. Oh, you wanna set up an entirely new team and drop em in a YA HORROR MOVIE with a spectral bear? Let it rock."

I can see someone coming in, saying "Look - you guys have the rights to a better Guardians of the Galaxy already. Throw me $80 mil, I'll knock together some old-school late '70s Battle Beyond the Stars shit with it. But better. And more Mustachio'd."

And Fox going "Fine. Fuck it."

Rothman's at Sony now. The only person at Fox holding the films back are the directors who can't get out of their own fucking way and still feel ashamed of the material they're adapting

(cough Singer cough ahem Kinberg cough wheeze)

NGL it gives me no small amount of joy that Bryan Singer is tethered forever to a property that he hates. While his career tanked outside of the funny book movies.

Like yeah it's shit for the franchise but MAN does it hit my square in the schadenfreude.

NGL it gives me no small amount of joy that Bryan Singer is tethered forever to a property that he hates. While his career tanked outside of the funny book movies.

Like yeah it's shit for the franchise but MAN does it hit my square in the schadenfreude.

Valkyrie is such a great movie. The last xmen movies while nowhere as great was fun. He can keep making them by all means. The only studio worth paying any real attention to now with their live action superheroes movies is Fox, WB made WW good but the rest is failing and MARVEL Disney hasn't made anything that entertains me besides the first guardians. Sony, well Sony should just stop making movies.

BobLoblaw

Banned
After seeing Logan, who the fuck asked for this? That should've been the swan song for anything and everything X-Men related for at least 10 years. Then do a reboot.

Temp_User

They chose the wrong X-men story to "ground" down. Looks like this is going to be more akin to a body-snatcher episode from the X-Files rather than a true 'Dark Phoenix adaptation.

night814

She just drives around in a Firebird..

Do they have the rights to that?

Not to mention they kind of have already done a "dark pheonix" story before on the big screen. X3 is all over the place, so maybe that's where he means "grounded", as in it will be more focused. On Jean and the pheonix force as opposed to it being X3 which while being a pheonix story is also the swan song of the X trilogy so everyone has a little chunk of good-byes because a lot of the actors and the director were moving on. Rogue is aloof and walks away, Scott practically is killed off screen in the beginning. Professor X gets vaporized into nothingness. Just thinking about it now makes it feel both sad and tragic it ended like that.

Azzanadra

sansa looks so damn good though as Jean Grey. whew.

but yeah all the actresses from Game of Thrones save for Cersei and Brienne suck.

Hey man, Catelyn was great too, everybody forgets about Cat :(

But in general I agree, a lot of these actors who have "graduated" from Game of Thrones (mainly the young ones) are being given extremely lucararitive roles in spite of their actual acting ability.

Top Bottom