• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

'X-Men: Dark Phoenix' to be "grounded"

TaterTots

Banned
We're never getting a true X-Men film are we? The closest thing I've seen was Deadpool and that's sad lol.

I wish they would give the rights back to Marvel/Disney, but that's not going to happen since so many people still go out and watch those turd films. Eh, at least we have the animated series.

i guess folks are saying "it's in space" because there's no ground there not understanding you can make a grounded movie in space.

the best parts of the x-men series have been the character moments. the boring CGI fight fests were always the most mediocre of the bunch. it's smart to play to that angle because that's literally this series strong suit.

if i wanted to see a mediocre CGI fest in space i'd watch gotg 1 & 2 but i actually want good acting and dialogue (most of the time).

You have an almost god-like entity of pure power. Grounded is not going to work.

watchmen would like to have a word

you can have implausible things happen and still be grounded. grounded doesn't mean realistic, it just means more sensible.

Shaanyboi

Banned
We're never getting a true X-Men film are we? The closest thing I've seen was Deadpool and that's sad lol.

I wish they would give the rights back to Marvel/Disney, but that's not going to happen since so many people still go out and watch those turd films. Eh, at least we have the animated series.
Ew

you can make a grounded movie in space.

if i wanted to see a mediocre CGI fest in space

See where you're making the assumption that by not grounding the film it automatically becomes mediocre?

That's a bad assumption.

The grounding Kinberg is talking about is your basic "it can't be too outlandish otherwise we'll lose the audience"

He's not talking about characterization. He's talking about settings/scenarios.

If he was talking about characterization then we'd know he gave a shit about making a good movie, because in a good movie, if the characterization is solid you can get as outlandish with the plot/setting as you want, because those characters will anchor you no matter what.

But he's not talking about characterization. He's talking about figuring out a way to cut the crusts off X-Men for an audience that is at this point completely unfazed at the notion of things like warlike birdhead people pissed off about the mutant telepath inhabited by a cosmic entity.

caliph95

The original Bryan Singer X-Men was also pretty grounded for it's time, and it worked out great. Even X-Men 2 was somewhat grounded compared to First Class/DofP/Apocalypse. No reason pulling away from the cheesiness can't work.
Cool but don't use the Dark Phoenix saga

D i Z

i guess folks are saying "it's in space" because there's no ground there not understanding you can make a grounded movie in space.

the best parts of the x-men series have been the character moments. the boring CGI fight fests were always the most mediocre of the bunch. it's smart to play to that angle because that's literally this series strong suit.

if i wanted to see a mediocre CGI fest in space i'd watch gotg 1 & 2 but i actually want good acting and dialogue (most of the time).

watchmen would like to have a word

you can have implausible things happen and still be grounded. grounded doesn't mean realistic, it just means more sensible.

ummmm. You might want to do a refresher on the story if you think that this isn't going one way and one way only.

The Boat

Thank God they're grounding a movie about a mutant with psychic and telekinetic superpowers that's possessed by an intergalactic immortal magic fire bird that destroys worlds.

That's a bad assumption.

naw you misconstrued.

i'm drawing a parallel between the qualities of dialogue and acting to their CGI fights. the cgi fights aren't good. the dialogue and acting are much better. which is why i prefer them.

so when i say that if i wanted to see a mediocre CGI space battle in space (again still on x-men) i'd rather watch gotg 1 and 2 because it already fills that criteria so no need for more of it.

see

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!
So...New York will once again be under threat of a doomsday weapon? (This time its Sansa Stark?)

Almost 20 years after the 1st film and we're still doing this black leather bullshit

1226.gif

As with the whole belief that "everything should be grounded", we as a society and the art of cinema has moved PAST that kinda way of thinking. We've pushed beyond.

If you want make a grounded X-Men Movie, why don't you take a grounded X-Men Story as basis instead of Dark Phoenix

EXACTLY. There are a LOT of X-Men stories that can be considered more "grounded". The only reason they are choosing "Dark Phoenix" is its notoriety, but its notoriety is someone connected to how "tall" that tale is. This is like they FORBID to move on from that 00s mentality that "everything should be grounded, even the fantastical". That is bullshit that has been shattered, and is a belief that should be left behind. We are past that. If you want to make a grounded story, pick an event or few issue story that would fit a grounded way of storytelling.

Principate

Saint Titanfall
lol asking them to give the ip to someone who can actually use it well is eye rolling?
I mean there's been several good films out of franchise well regarded both critically and commercially. Hit and miss sure but to so say they can't use the ip doesn't seem to hold up to any scrutiny.

Carcetti

I mean there's been several good films out of franchise well regarded both critically and commercially. Hit and miss sure but to so say they can't use the ip doesn't seem to hold up to any scrutiny.

There's only 1 good film in X-franchise, and it's Logan. Then there's couple of others that give an illusion of quality by good casting choices.

There's only 1 good film in X-franchise, and it's Logan. Then there's couple of others that give an illusion of quality by good casting choices.

Illusion of quality lmao

Anyways this movie sounds horrible. I'll freely admit I think a couple of movies in the xmen franchise are better than anything (and likely everything tbh) that marvel has put out. But Kinberg doubling down as director too...god damn. This will be worse than apocalypse and last stand.

Chastain in leather tho 👀

TAJ

Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that.
The Shi'ar aren't even going to be aliens. They're going to be a Eurotrash biker gang.

I enjoyed their last movies. Even if silly or perhaps thanks to that in some part. Will probably keep watching them. Hope JLaw is gone however. Can't take her portrayal for another minute.

They did great with Logan as well. I have faith for now.

watership

Grounded. The first of all the Fox shows to have ALIENS and take place in SPACE? Hilarious. Dark Phoenix Saga is probably my favourite comic book run growing up, yet how in the hell are they going to have the emotional impact for Jean and Scott if they barely know each other? This should have been the 3rd film with this new cast.

Busty

Banned
Agreed they need to give the license back to Marvel already.

Give the X-Men universe to Sony and then they can give Fox the Spider-Man rights so if they are ever pulled over by the cops they have each others Marvel properties and the cops are going to be all like whaaaaaat?!

Give the X-Men universe to Sony and then they can give Fox the Spider-Man rights so if they are ever pulled over by the cops they have each others Marvel properties and the cops are going to be all like whaaaaaat?!
Spiderman: Homecoming 3, featuring Hugh Jackman as Aunt May

Alastor3

I just hope X-23 will make an appearance, knowing her character won't be killed of (along with the actress which I really really like and want to see her evolve)

These people are idiots. They go off a tangent with the original Deadpool by giving him laser beams and Edward scissorhands.

And they want to ground what is arguably one of the most powerful mutants.

sansa looks so damn good though as Jean Grey. whew.

but yeah all the actresses from Game of Thrones save for Cersei and Brienne suck.

Top Bottom