• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

'X-Men: Dark Phoenix' to be "grounded"

Volimar

grounded...

mp3nftA.gif

rrs

so by ground does this mean:
  • make everyone human
  • remove anything slightly complicated
  • all the plot moves to earth within 30 miles from hollywood to save on cgi costs

Snaku

Banned
Aren't we passed this grounded shit? We've got comic book movies with talking trees and raccoons now absolutely killing it at the box office. Jesus Christ, stop making comic book movies for audiences that are embarrassed to be watching comic book movies, they don't exist anymore.

Magwik

Banned
Aren't we passed this grounded shit? We've got comic book movies with talking trees and raccoons now absolutely killing it at the box office. Jesus Christ, stop making comic book movies for audiences that are embarrassed to be watching comic book movies, they don't exist anymore.

Logan was grounded and was the best comic book movie since The Dark Knight.

JCG

Literally the opposite of what it should be.

I'd be down if they went full Guardians of the Galaxy with X-Men, honestly.

This is literally what they should do. Can't they at least learn something from Marvel?

Logan was grounded and was the best comic book movie since The Dark Knight.

Yes, but nobody ever expected Logan to deal with this type of setting in the first place.

Great news as far as I'm concerned.

This is X-Men grounded:

backgrounds_logan_outer.jpg

And this is X-Men hammy:

X-Men_-_Apocalypse.jpg

I'll fucking take grounded any day of the week.

Literally the opposite of what it should be.

I'd be down if they went full Guardians of the Galaxy with X-Men, honestly.

One of the big differences right now between the MCU and what FOX is doing. Guardians, Doc Strange, and Thor: Ragnarok should be big, flashing signs saying "HEY! IT'S OK TO GO A LITTLE NUTS WITH COMIC BOOK MOVIES!"... but no... more 'grounded' X-Men with uninspired S&M costumes.

We already had a "grounded" version of Dark Phoenix and it was awful. It always sucks when people who actively don't like the source material are involved in an adaptation. Audiences don't mind space opera and far-out fantasy, that's been proven over and over again in terms of box office cash.

Youngfossil

Neo Member

This is X-Men grounded:

And this is X-Men hammy:

X-Men_-_Apocalypse.jpg

To be far. Logan isnt an xmen movie and it's much easier to do a grounded movie with one Super hero (that only has claws) than a team of supers that can shoot laser and summon tornados.

Steejee

Of all the storylines you decided to go with 'grounded' on, you pick Dark Phoenix? WTF?

It should be going *huge*. Shit should be like Avengers: Infinity Wars, all out bonkers.

Granted based on Apocalypse I don't think Sophie Turner could carry anything that big, though perhaps a good director could get more out of her. She never had the right look to be Grey, and the acting didn't help.

To be far. Logan isnt an xmen movie and it's much easier to do a grounded movie with one Super hero (that only has claws) than a team of supers that can shoot laser and summon tornados.

Logan also had Hugh Jackman and Patrick Stewart, two legendary actors, as the focal point plus one awesome little girl, and James Mangold had directed some excellent films in the past. Probably not a fair comparison from that front either.

This movie is gonna make it hard for those of us stanning for the Foxverse on off-topic, haha. What the fuck were they thinking giving this movie to a first time director? And the X-Men franchise is better off without the Phoenix baggage. Plus, there's no way Sophie Turner can carry that story. She was terrible in the last one.

Oh well, they'll First Class the series again after this one fails and in the meantime, the spin-offs will keep us occupied. Thank god for New Mutants.

Instead of devouring a star and killing the entire population of a planet, Jean will drain the electricity of a building, causing the people inside to die.

Instead of the Shi'ar empire coming to intervene, it is the local police force.

Lilandra is the mayor of the city that Jean attacked. She comes to put Jean under arrest.

I guess Lilandra's police force could be made up of meta-humans or they have technological enhancements. They come after the x-men team while they are hiding out in a big forest or something.

And Mystique will be Jean's love interest and Cyclops just some background character.

Einchy

semen stains the mountaintops

This is X-Men grounded:

And this is X-Men hammy:

X-Men_-_Apocalypse.jpg

Yeah, I think "grounded" for the MCU is dumb as fuck but I think grounded is just what X-Men needs. I'm really looking forward to New Mutants because it's supposed to not go all out on the comic-booky stuff.

Logan is an elseworlds based off Old Man Logan, it and Dark Phoenix saga are as diametrically opposed as possible.

Why even DO Dark Phoenix if your not gonna go to space and blow shit up?

Eggbok

It has to be grounded so Mystique Jennifer Lawrence can be the focus of the movie, duh you guys. Jean inhaled her germs which caused Jeans cells and DNA to mutate into the phoenix.

This is X-Men grounded:

And this is X-Men hammy:

X-Men_-_Apocalypse.jpg

Grounded for Logan doesn't necessarily mean grounded for the X-Men will work. Despite Wolverine being one of the team they are vastly different as properties.

Yeah, I think "grounded" for the MCU is dumb as fuck but I think grounded is just what X-Men needs. I'm really looking forward to New Mutants because it's supposed to not go all out on the comic-booky stuff.

Not for Dark Phoenix and the Shiar of all things.

As I've said before: the Singerverse is a relic of an era when it was still novel for superhero adaptations to not show outright contempt for the source material. Long overdue for a total reboot.

Blader

Kinberg also wrote X-Men: The Last Stand, and while I was willing to consider that, given his public acknowledgements of what went wrong with that movie, he'd be turning in a new direction for this one, he seems to be chasing the same old shit.

Busty

Banned
I believe that rumours were the film opens
with a space ship crashing in the grounds of Xavier's school with Chastain's character inside. The rest of the film is primarily the X-Men battling alien invaders.., on Earth

I have trouble seeing this as a sprawling GOTG style space romp...., or a film that people will actually want to see.

Eh.

Youngfossil

Neo Member
They should pull an avengers and give each (main) character their own movie. (Cyclopes, X32/Wolverine. Jean gray, and i dunno lets say gambit) then make an xmen movie.

Ithil

This is X-Men grounded:

And this is X-Men hammy:

X-Men_-_Apocalypse.jpg

This is a movie about a giant space fire bird thing that turns evil and an intergalactic empire trying to stop it.

This is not Logan.

Top Bottom