• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

'X-Men: Dark Phoenix' to be "grounded"

Bronx-Man

Banned
Almost 20 years after the 1st film and we're still doing this black leather bullshit

1226.gif

mreddie

"Grounded"

U8e38EI.gif

And the X-Men films are gonna tank if the fucking spacebased is gonna stay on Earth when the last movie, FUCKING ALMOST EVERY CITY BROKE APART!

Yesterday, people got in arms over the Wasp suit but at least it's from material they are faithful to, this? UGH.

Lilandra isn't the villain of the Dark Phoenix Saga. Sebastian Shaw, Mastermind, Emma Frost and the Phoenix force itself are.

The reason an intergalactic alien empire gets involved is because Jean's existence is a threat to the entire universe, you can't ground the story and have the same impact.

Please keep Gladiator out of this if you're going to have him job to Mystique or Angel. :(

If you feel like watching a good adaptation, watch the 90s animated series. Aside from toning down the violence a tad and replacing Peter/Nightcrawler with Gambit/Rogue, it's a fantastic retelling of the original story.

Christian

Yeah, I think "grounded" for the MCU is dumb as fuck but I think grounded is just what X-Men needs. I'm really looking forward to New Mutants because it's supposed to not go all out on the comic-booky stuff.

Yeah, from what I understand, it'll only feature a FUCKING PSYCHIC DEMON BEAR

So they want to make an adaptation of Dark Phoenix and not have it "too intergalactic", yet still plans to include the Shi'ar empire?

It already sounds like ass.

Phamit

If you want make a grounded X-Men Movie, why don't you take a grounded X-Men Story as basis instead of Dark Phoenix

jman2050

The Phoenix storyline is complete crazy insanity from start to finish, "grounded" is not remotely the word I'd use to describe it.

"My name is Lilandra Xavier, Charles' ex-wife and owner of Shiar Corp. The Phoenix as you call it was a genetic experimental procedure where we tried to fuse Jean Grey with a bird."

jman2050

How is it that 25+ years later the silly 90s cartoon might still end up being the best adaptation of the Phoenix storyline?

Ushojax

Should probably not trust the 7-11 security cameras quite so much
I think the only good X-Men films are the ones that explore human fear and resentment towards mutants, terrorism vs pacifism etc and don't focus too much on blowing up skyscrapers and shit. Apocalypse was a big dumb turd that tried to marry the grounded Singer style with an OTT Avengers plot and it failed completely. I personally just tune out when these superhero films start invoking celestial beings, aliens etc, because most of the time the human drama is sacrificed for the sake of spectacle and the characters and their personal struggles become secondary.

Films like Spider-Man 2, TDK and Logan build the story around the characters struggles to live a meaningful life outside their heroics, Peter Parker, Bruce Wayne and Logan have to pay a heavy price for being heroes and they always feel real. It is not easy for them to do what they do. Apocalypse was just 2 hours of nonsense where a bunch of CGI mutant powers are thrown around until the credits roll. If they are readjusting the franchise to be more like the Logan than Apocalypse, I'm all for it.

ferr

Maybe they should make the whole movie a big cloudy blob that people look at without having to think too hard about. Maybe the director comes to each theater and helps people eat popcorn, scoops it directly into mouths, etc. Maybe drives them to/from the theater as well (could get lost).

pHand

Lilandra isn't the villain of the Dark Phoenix Saga. Sebastian Shaw, Mastermind, Emma Frost and the Phoenix force itself are.

The reason an intergalactic alien empire gets involved is because Jean's existence is a threat to the entire universe, you can't ground the story and have the same impact.

Please keep Gladiator out of this if you're going to have him job to Mystique or Angel. :(

If you feel like watching a good adaptation, watch the 90s animated series. Aside from toning down the violence a tad and replacing Peter/Nightcrawler with Gambit/Rogue, it's a fantastic retelling of the original story.

Gladiator only jobs to Phoenix. "The great Gladiator! How I have missed the pleasure of thrashing you!"

Making Jean destroy an uninhabited planet instead of killing 5 billion people was pretty much a necessity because of S&P, but I thought it introduced an even more compelling moral quandary. As Beast put it, "Jean has committed no crime, has injured no one.
Yet, we are asked to allow her to be destroyed to prevent the possible future crimes of another." Killing someone who's already taken 5 billion lives felt like a no-brainer, but killing someone because he or she has the potential for such destruction is a much more interesting dilemma.

Despite the censorship, I did like that they snuck in a reference to "Plan Omega" without fully explaining what it entailed. In the comics it was clear that Lilandra planned to destroy the entire solar system to make sure Phoenix was dealt with.

Htown

STOP SHITTING ON MY MOTHER'S HEADSTONE
Great news as far as I'm concerned.

This is X-Men grounded:

backgrounds_logan_outer.jpg

And this is X-Men hammy:

X-Men_-_Apocalypse.jpg

I'll fucking take grounded any day of the week.

what you want is Logan

what you're probably going to get is X-Men Origins: Wolverine

To be far. Logan isnt an xmen movie and it's much easier to do a grounded movie with one Super hero (that only has claws) than a team of supers that can shoot laser and summon tornados.

Two completely different kinds of stories.

Might as well not do Dark Phoenix tbh.

Grounded for Logan doesn't necessarily mean grounded for the X-Men will work. Despite Wolverine being one of the team they are vastly different as properties.

This is a movie about a giant space fire bird thing that turns evil and an intergalactic empire trying to stop it.

This is not Logan.

The original Bryan Singer X-Men was also pretty grounded for it's time, and it worked out great. Even X-Men 2 was somewhat grounded compared to First Class/DofP/Apocalypse. No reason pulling away from the cheesiness can't work.

So they want to make an adaptation of Dark Phoenix and not have it "too intergalactic", yet still plans to include the Shi'ar empire?

It already sounds like ass.

This is basically going to be Power Rangers, isn't it? Rita Lilandra shows up, says she wants the Phoenix power for herself, Xmen have to unite again (with the help of Uncle Magneto) to save the day.

It's crazy we still haven't gotten Mr. Sinister.

Wasn't he teased in the post-credits scene of DOFP or Apocalypse?

IHaveIce

Banned
Except when they can put Olivia Munn in a revealing outfit. That's when they are A-OK with going with traditional comic costumes.

wasn't it Olivia Munn who kinda pressed for having the original costume? Or am I misremembering stuff.

I will never enjoy the X-Men team up movies as long as they don't embrace that they are fucking comic book movies and should at least adapt their Designs to it.

Top Bottom