• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

X360 Price drop...confirmed.

MechDX

My lord! So many different views/conspiracy theories/dumbassness about a $50 price drop.

Its a price drop people. No matter how you break it down the XBOX360 will be $50 cheaper. In the views of fence sitters and parents buying game consoles its cheaper than it was.

IT IS NOT A BAD THING!:lol

Linkhero1

artredis1980 said:
I have it coming from a reliable source that CURRENTLY

The Core will drop to 279
The Premium will drop to 349
The Elite will drop to 449

This will clear out the inventory of the Premium which is the most manufactured 360 and the most sold as they know Premium will sell the most until the demand for Elites pick up in 2008. Elites and Cores have relatively the same manufacturing percentage: low at the moment until FALL this year.

When the 65 nm processor falcons are introduced across all SKUs, the holiday season, a month or so after Halo 3 will see the core drop to $249, The Premium will drop to $299 and the Elite will drop to $399

The Core, Premium and Elite Falcons will have a redesigned motherboard which includes HDMI across all SKUs, a quieter DVD Drive and the falcons will STILL have an extra fan heatsink as Microsoft is not prepared to take anymore risks.

The Falcon will reduce the cost to manufacture the Xbox 360 CPU and GPU by ~40-50% but Microsoft will incure additional costs on the new fans and HDMI across all SKUs. Still at the 249,299 and 399 price, Microsoft will expect a profit from the console by early 2008 when the Q4 results are announced.

EDIT: Clearing out inventory of 90nm so they mostly have 65nm on shelves this holiday season
I guess I'll wait until the holiday season begins.

TJ Spyke

artredis1980, if that is true, I hope they do it before fall. I think I am getting an Xbox 360 for my birthday (early September) and I would rather get one of those improved systems (mainly the quieter DVD drive).

yukoner

gollumsluvslave said:
If they only reduce it to say $269.99, they must change the pack contents and at least add a 64mb memory card and wireless controller.

This would actually be the smartest move by MS.

Finally address the ridiculous peripheral pricing, and set the Core up to sell.

Drop the core $30, but more importantly drop the HDD and memory card prices signifigantly.

Bundle the core with a wireless controller, and it would sell like gold. All it requires is a cheap Memory Card and Harddrive to be available.

If MS want to be stingy with pricedrops to maintain profit on the hardware, I can understand it. But they can at least reduce their profit margin on the flash memory, and hdd's just to increase marketshare, and make the Core a strong value.

S

Shepherd

Unconfirmed Member
A $299 Falcon with HDMI by black friday seems possible.

MercuryLS

Banned
With that pricing, it's obvious MS is trying to funnel everyone into getting the Premium. It's the best deal out of the 3 now, by a fair margin.

Why do they still have the other SKU's? Ungimp the Core and make it cheaper and maybe it'll be able to have the low pricepoint penetration that MS is looking for.

Xeke

Banned
yukoner said:
This would actually be the smartest move by MS.

Finally address the ridiculous peripheral pricing, and set the Core up to sell.

Drop the core $30, but more importantly drop the HDD and memory card prices signifigantly.

Bundle the core with a wireless controller, and it would sell like gold. All it requires is a cheap Memory Card and Harddrive to be available.

If MS want to be stingy with pricedrops to maintain profit on the hardware, I can understand it. But they can at least reduce their profit margin on the flash memory, and hdd's just to increase marketshare, and make the Core a strong value.

I've got a better idea. Just drop the core period so that HDDs can become standard.

MechDX said:
My lord! So many different views/conspiracy theories/dumbassness about a $50 price drop.

Its a price drop people. No matter how you break it down the XBOX360 will be $50 cheaper. In the views of fence sitters and parents buying game consoles its cheaper than it was.

IT IS NOT A BAD THING!:lol

You should read the latest Kotaku comments... my god, all those people need to be sterilized. For the good of mankind.

C4Lukins

Xeke said:
I've got a better idea. Just drop the core period so that HDDs can become standard.

It is a little late for that. And as has been said many times, the point of the Core is to get a 360 out there that will get to a low price quickly, and be affordable for the mass market.

Xeke

Banned
C4Lukins said:
It is a little late for that. And as has been said many times, the point of the Core is to get a 360 out there that will get to a low price quickly, and be affordable for the mass market.

Whats the actual ratio of Core to Premium/Elite? Do we have any idea?

S

Shepherd

Unconfirmed Member
Xeke said:

I would say there is very few people with a Core and not a HDD. Microsoft at one point stated that the tie ratio for Cores and HDDs was nearly 1 to 1.

Sharp said:
No, this is devilsadvocate but thanks for playing.
except you were trying to discuss a "price drop" for the Wii that has little bearing in the real work because you have no idea how Nintendo will handle such a thing. sure they could do that, but you phrase it in such a way to assume that they will do that.

GhaleonEB

Xeke said:
We had a data point a couple months before the Elite came out - I don't recall which month - that had Cores at about 10% of all 360s sold.

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
Green Shinobi said:
Not trying to read through 20 pages of a very non-epic thread.

But has it been confirmed that only the Premium is getting a price drop?

No

Green Shinobi said:
Not trying to read through 20 pages of a very non-epic thread.

But has it been confirmed that only the Premium is getting a price drop?

All we got to go on is a Walmart and Toys r Us promotional flyer. $349 in both stores starting from sometime within the next seven days. I think I saw Sunday mentioned somewhere.

No news from 360 HQ on the matter

JohnTinker

Limbaugh Parrot
I'm extremely interested in buying a 360 after hearing about this price drop, but until I can buy one of those Falcon machines I'm going to hold off.

Will there be any way to know when exactly the Falcon machines will be on the shelves? Will the box say anything or will there be a PR release? I don't want to take the chance of buying an older model. Falcon or bust.

soco

JohnTinker said:
Will there be any way to know when exactly the Falcon machines will be on the shelves? Will the box say anything or will there be a PR release? I don't want to take the chance of buying an older model. Falcon or bust.

at this point, no one knows. i'm sure there will be a PR release, but that won't help anyone finding them as there will likely still be some old ones floating around.

i'd guess they'd do a redesign of at least the box.

JohnTinker said:
I'm extremely interested in buying a 360 after hearing about this price drop, but until I can buy one of those Falcon machines I'm going to hold off.

Depends on how many are still in the channel.

If you believe the MS hating turd-burglars like dfyb, MS has shipped 11 million, but only sold like 6 million, and since sales are declining, you'll still be getting launch shipment units in 2011.

According to non-dfyb type posters, the current stock should be sold out by October. So get one then. Just in time for GTA4 and Lost Odyssey.

Xeke

Banned
Green Shinobi said:
Depends on how many are still in the channel.

If you believe the MS hating turd-burglars like dfyb, MS has shipped 11 million, but only sold like 6 million, and since sales are declining, you'll still be getting launch shipment units in 2011.

According to non-dfyb type posters, the current stock should be sold out by October. So get one then. Just in time for GTA4 and Lost Odyssey.

You'd be stupid to believe they've only sold 6 million but you'd be just as stupid to believe they've sold 10 million.

65nm360.jpg

I hope this means a UK price cut. And one that amounts to more than £25 or something. I'd almost certainly "jump in" in the next couple of months if that was the case.

radioheadrule83 said:
I hope this means a UK price cut. And one that amounts to more than £25 or something. I'd almost certainly "jump in" in the next couple of months if that was the case.
Odd thing is that if you look around you can already get a premium on its own in the UK for £229. Given the RRP is £279 I'm not sure what a £25 price drop would actually give us.

DSWii60

radioheadrule83 said:

It'll be £250 here I think.

CrunchinJelly

formerly cjelly
radioheadrule83 said:
It's effectively been price-cut here since January, as there are bundles everywhere.

eg, Game are doing 360 with 2 free games for the RRP.

For all the people worried about identifying the Falcon, is the dude earlier is correct and Falocn has HDMI across all SKU's, the there is the easy identification...

Starting tomorrow play.com are selling 360 Premium + Gears + Crackdown+ Forza 2 = £299

Next Friday they are selling 360 Premium + C&C3 + FlatOut UC = £259

sionyboy said:
Starting tomorrow play.com are selling 360 Premium + Gears + Crackdown+ Forza 2 = £299

Next Friday they are selling 360 Premium + C&C3 + FlatOut UC = £259
How much is a 360 Premium normally with no games? In Europe of course.

JohnTinker

Limbaugh Parrot
gollumsluvslave said:
For all the people worried about identifying the Falcon, is the dude earlier is correct and Falocn has HDMI across all SKU's, the there is the easy identification...
If that is indeed the case then they will have to modify the boxes a bit to reflect that

Green Shinobi said:
How much is a 360 Premium normally with no games? In Europe of course.

Well the RRP of a Premium 360 is £279
In Europe it is €399

Though, speaking from a British perspective here, outside the launch window and the following few months you'd have to be a bit simple to pay £279 for just a 360. Bundle deals are commonplace here, you often get a few games or accessories thrown into the purchase. For example, last December my 360 cost £279 but I got PGR3, XBLA pack, Viva Pinata and a wireless controller bundled in.

PS3 is the same here, before the announcement of the bundle pack you'd been able to pick up a PS3 with a game or two, perhaps a controller or BD movie, for less than the RRP.

The Wii, well the only thing you'll get with that is satisfaction of knowing you found a place that had them in stock.

gkryhewy

JohnTinker said:

I would imagine you could look for HDMI as a feature on the falcon boxes.

quest

Not Banned from OT
cjelly said:
The Wii has been in plentiful supply for well over a month now.

Maybe were you live I went on my first Wii hunt last monday for MP. 2 targets 2 kmarts and a walmart all of them sold out. I have yet to see a Wii on a store shelf in my area. My work schedule prevents me from waiting in line on a sunday to get one.

Kildace

quest said:
Maybe were you live I went on my first Wii hunt last monday for MP. 2 targets 2 kmarts and a walmart all of them sold out. I have yet to see a Wii on a store shelf in my area. My work schedule prevents me from waiting in line on a sunday to get one.

He might mean in Europe. The electronics store where I live consistently has about 10 in stock.

Dimmuxx

The Amiga Brotherhood
artredis1980 said:
When the 65 nm processor falcons are introduced across all SKUs, the holiday season, a month or so after Halo 3 will see the core drop to $249, The Premium will drop to $299 and the Elite will drop to $399

The Core, Premium and Elite Falcons will have a redesigned motherboard which includes HDMI across all SKUs, a quieter DVD Drive and the falcons will STILL have an extra fan heatsink as Microsoft is not prepared to take anymore risks.

If this is true that pretty much confirms that the Halo 3 LE 360 is a Falcon since it's a premium with HDMI.

So release it in Europe Microsoft or you will burn! I want to be able to buy a falcon at the Halo 3 release. :/

FrankT

I've read that Toy's R US is confirming this price as well although I haven't found any kind of pic of this yet or other evidence.

Top Bottom