• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

XB1: Microsoft Claims that Cloud Computing Can Provide Power of 3 XB1's, 32 X360's

angelic

Banned
Just embarrassing at this point, Japan sales will be Gizmondo levels at best. Just the simple size of the console is incredibly undesirable to the Japanese market. Never mind looking at the games like Ryse as western dogshit, the fact that Kinect is useless in a typically sized Japanese room, and they hate western consoles by default anyway.

Marvel

could never
ibpEx9uvOIJtVW.gif

Dragon

Banned
When pressed for how this is possible for single player games, a Microsoft Japan employee had this to say:

gy2h2KS.gif

It isn't bullshit, though.

It's a meaningless measure that hasn't resulted in any tangible difference in graphical quality, AI, framerate or resolution in the first six months on the market. Dedicated servers are the biggest thing the platform has going for it, and humorously enough, the 360 version of Titanfall uses these same servers. Fancy that.

Why do people claim that Titanfall's AI is bad? They are not supposed to be like other players, they are supposed to be fodder/map filler. They make it seem like an actual battle is happening on the map.

OT: Cloud talk is nice but until we see it have a big impact on a game it wont matter. I'm glad they are not giving up on Japan completely though, look how mad some get on here when a game/series does not get ported to their country...

The AI is no different then Any other AI we saw, so I ask again how did DAT CLOUD help titanfall?? Why isn't TF an always online game they said uses cloud have low frame rate low resolution and bog standard AI??

pooptest

Wasn't the cloud as powerful 4 Xbones (or 10?) and 40 X360's last year?

Anyways, this is sad. Where are they getting the metrics for this? Their asses?

I didn't read the full article but how does 32 360's factor in? If the One is 8 time more powerful than a 360 but with the cloud is 3 times a One, should that be 24 360's?

And yes I dont like the names/numbering either.

Bessy67

Wasn't the cloud as powerful 4 Xbones (or 10?) and 40 X360's last year?

Anyways, this is sad. Where are they getting the metrics for this anyways? Their asses?

The metric is probably just that every xbox compute server has a CPU 3 times as powerful as a Xbox One CPU.

Anon67

Uh, an MS article on a website called "Dualshockers?" Wut

But yeah, they need to put this into practice effectively before talking about it, IMO. Makes then looks like fools a bit for not showing any proof.

Shin-Ra

The problem when they use 360s as a reference is people assume it's CPU and GPU power assistance.

weeeeezy

Banned
It totally is, what MS are talking about is ten years + away. How did cloud help Titanfall?? Low resolution, standard bad AI, low frame rate?

At first, I wanted to respond to this and have a healthy debate about how the cloud benefits gaming. Now that I've read your comment history it wont really matter what I say to you. It's obvious you are a Sony PS4 fan, which is fine. What's funny is that 95% of your post history is on MS threads with you bashing Xbox left and right. I'm not sure what your agenda is here, but you will be on a lot of peoples ignore lists soon.

At first, I wanted to respond to this and have a healthy debate about how the cloud benefits gaming. Now that I've read your comment history it wont really matter what I say to you. It's obvious you are a Sony PS4 fan, which is fine. What's funny is that 95% of your post history is on MS threads with you bashing Xbox left and right. I'm not sure what your agenda is here, but you will be on a lot of peoples ignore lists soon.

In other words you can refute anything I said, it's total BS period. Good way to avoid trying to make an valid comeback. What MS is talking about is misleading and simply hot air. How did ti help titanfall?? Why would an y publisher make a game to use cloud when it is dependant on a game being always online, and internet connection? What happens when you play offline??? This is MS hot air at it's best.

EGM1966

If they show me a game that proves this I'll happily accept it. TitanFall certainly failed to convince me the Cloud was really adding much - to be fair it might have been but their adaption of Source was so poorly optimized you couldn't tell given the final result.

It's time to either provide actual proof to substantiate the claims or stop claiming them IMHO. Phil needs to take more control of their PR TBH - he seems sensible and solid in most of his delivery and content unlike pretty much every other spokesperson since reveal.

LuchaShaq

Banned
Why do people claim that Titanfall's AI is bad? They are not supposed to be like other players, they are supposed to be fodder/map filler. They make it seem like an actual battle is happening on the map.

OT: Cloud talk is nice but until we see it have a big impact on a game it wont matter. I'm glad they are not giving up on Japan completely though, look how mad some get on here when a game/series does not get ported to their country...

Because it's the worst AI I've ever seen in a shooter?

You can literally stand in front of them for 3-5 seconds before they start shooting half the time.

I wonder what that one Japanese store with the Dragonball Z references on the PS4's power will say about XO's power.
Xb1 is not too powerful but when it calls upon the power of the cloud its like goku gathering energy from remote locations for his spirit bomb.

Thats the only way to put cloud power into DBZ terms I think.

What happens if your internet connection drops?

I know there were about a million connected PS4s at launch but at the end of this generation I'm sure there will be a large disparity between those connected to the internet and those disconnected.

Dragon

Banned
Cloud helping out isn't bullshit, it can help improve things.

However, Cloud turning an Xbox one from a system that is 8 times faster than the 360 to a system 32 times faster than a 360 is IMO - bullshit.

There is nothing opinion based about it. It does not work with current online infrastructure, it does not work with the way developers make their games, and it certainly doesn't work as well when the console isn't required to be always online.

You could have saved us all the trouble of a pointless ad hominem attack. It'd be like me bashing your point because your avatar. It's dumb and stifles debate!

Mugatu

You have to wonder though, or at least I do as a slightly cynical gamer, whether that was by choice or necessity?

I think I remember them talking up the cloud before the game released and specifically mentioning how it will help the AI which implied that it would be advanced and quite smart (I might be wrong on this though so if I am please excuse me).

ZombieLPK

Seems like they forgot to tell their JP PR team that the 2013 reveal strategy of trying to make the Xbone seem more powerful than it really is didn't work last time. Especially in Japan, I thought they would have learned that what people want to see from their console is compelling games, not presentations about how much cloud processing power that's largely irrelevant to games beyond MS hosted dedicated servers they have.

There is nothing opinion based about it. It does not work with current online infrastructure, it does not work with the way developers make their games, and it certainly doesn't work as well when the console isn't required to be always online.

You could have saved us all the trouble of a pointless ad hominem attack. It'd be like me bashing your point because your avatar. It's dumb and stifles debate!

YEp, exactly.

Marcel

Xb1 is not too powerful but when it calls upon the power of the cloud its like goku gathering energy from remote locations for his spirit bomb.

If we're still talking DBZ logic here, the best thing to do is not let Goku stand there and gather power but to just punch him instead. I think that's already happening in a way.

DrkSage

Nah man, here's some rare footage of the Xbox one using the power of the cloud.
kid-goku-on-nimbus-o.gif

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
LOL in theory, in practice it's quite different right now. MS is so full of it. No one will design a game with cloud in mind. It will split the user base. Only would work with an always online console, and we know how this turned out.

The number one best-selling game on the console uses MS cloud services and only works online. Many of the biggest games releasing this fall are similarly, always online, as Ubisoft is aggressively pursuing that angle and Activision is doing so with Destiny.

Top Bottom