• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

XB1: Microsoft Claims that Cloud Computing Can Provide Power of 3 XB1's, 32 X360's

Personal attack? I think you are way to busy responding to everyone confirming this is BS to see my other response to you.

You keep saying "Always be online", but you need to be more specific. Do you mean specifically in game? If so, then yes, but with many games being multiplayer anyway thats not a big deal. Did you happen to see the MS demo of using the cloud and having more physics enabled by utilizing Azure? That is an example of what devs can do, but in the end its up to them to utilize it.

DEMO means squat when it comes to practical in game use.

I don't know if you know this but Xbox could use a leg-up in Japan. Getting moe culture involved with selling an ugly cable box-looking console is probably a good bet.

The moe culture that's known to us only appeals to a very small segment of the market.

This is true moe, loved universally by Japanese young and old.

anime-j-rating-sazae-san2.jpg
anime-j-rating-chibi-maruko-chan.jpg

Tripolygon

Banned
Just to comment on titanfall Ai there are dozens of ais roaming the battlefield and outside to give the impression of an epic battle. Respawn has said at least a few times that the Ai is dumbed down intentionally and because that would be an awful clusterfuck if the Ais killed you with any ease. The titan Ai is pretty good but Its obvious that they wanted the challenge to come from human players and I'm so glad they did it that way.
Another option will be to reduce the damage ability of the smart AI, don't make a dumb AI.

What I don't get is why everyone acts like this is impossible. I mean, cloud computing has been around for a good long while. It's not like this is some brand new technology. There may not be any great examples of it in the gaming environment, but I don't understand why people seem to think that MS saying they can triple the computational power of the Xbox with the cloud is such an outlandish claim when we've seen cloud computing doing just that in other fields for years.

We know it can offer extra compute to enhance the xbone CPU, but MS talk like they're shoving three machines into one Voltron console that jumps to next gen. It's disingenuous.

Sony did it with the Cell; it was suited to specific tasks and really came into it's own when used correctly with the GPU, but it was never going to give PS3 ultimate power like Ken promised. If Sony had talked about what the Cell could really do, I don't think they would've taken as much flak, because it turns out the were on the right track with the multi-threaded rendering.

tfur

Microsoft still trying to mislead the public.

Someone had to approve of these arbitrary values to add to that silly PowerPoint presentation. They would do better to save money on presentations, and just give away systems instead.

Microsoft is really trying to nail this into people's heads.

Meh, it's possible... but then it would all have latency and thus be absolutely pointless. Should of just made the Kinect a separate peripheral and added more power to justify the high price point at launch.

Jburton

Banned
Talk about clinging onto the sinking boat.

MS, no one except idiots believe your claim about the cloud ...... it makes you look stupid, insults your audience and diminishes the positives that the machine actually has.

Pathetic and insulting.

Mostly because it's PR to attempt to make a weaker console sound more powerful than the competition when in reality it isn't. It's basically saying "thanks to the cloud, the XBO is actually 3x more powerful than the specs show, therefore the PS4 isn't the most powerful this gen.

That's why people get worked up over "cloud" talk. If it's really 3x XBO's in power and the 360 can also take advantage of the cloud as evidenced by Titanfall, does that mean a 360 connected to the cloud is over 3x as powerful as a non-cloud connected XBO? It's all bullshit.

These people's jobs are to hype this system up. Of course there is gonna be bullshit from all consoles. I agree then need to put up or shut up when it comes to "the cloud" but I just don't think its worth getting upset about like some are. Its just. A buzzword...

Wii u isn't gonna bomb as hard as Xbox one, I think.

Even if they didn't release another game, I would be happy with my WiiU, even if it's considered a Bob-omba.

Years as a Nintendo fan have taught me that a Nintendo machine is for Nintendo games, and not much else, Wii put a spanner in that, but the world seems to have righted itself now and nobody wants a Nintendo but the fans.

Riki

If you have to design your console around a magical device that you can't really explain and certainly doesn't do what you claim, it's pretty much a failure.

What I don't get is why everyone acts like this is impossible. I mean, cloud computing has been around for a good long while. It's not like this is some brand new technology. There may not be any great examples of it in the gaming environment, but I don't understand why people seem to think that MS saying they can triple the computational power of the Xbox with the cloud is such an outlandish claim when we've seen cloud computing doing just that in other fields for years.

Cloud computing has had lots of practical applications in scientific calculations, protein folding, etc. But in my opinion there are very few practical uses for the tech in gaming. I think MS is just using the azure platform they spent millions on as a convenient way to add perceived value to an otherwise under powered XOne. It will never be utilized in the way they are claiming now, so most people are calling bullshit, and rightfully so.

geordiemp

Well in theory you could have one console with thernet connection to a nearby data centre with every server connected to that one console.

The single console in Theory would have many TF of compute power available to it.

In practice we will see nothing, absolutely nothing.

Heck, most games struggle to get multiplayer servers giving players low ping and faultless gameplay when player number escalates never mind running things in the game...

Synth

All i got was useless speculation that has nothing to do with MS saying 3 times as powerfull consoile....They have not shown 1 thing that could not be done better on ps4. Whats the excuse going to be when titanfall comes to ps4 and performs better? Sony has a better cloud?

Why would I be talking about the 3x power thing? I responded to you because you asked what it did for Titanfall, and highlighted other games having comparable AI as a reason to dismiss Titanfall's reliance on the network (whilst also missing the fact that BF4 does not use MS' cloud, and has been a complete fucking disaster).

I gave you reasons why AI in Titanfall is not really the same thing as AI in something like Gears of War or Killzone, so why laugh off my comment as if I simply regurgitated what MS said?

It seems like 'cloud' is just a marketing term for dedicated servers. Which we've had for 20 years now.

The latency that comes with offloading processing for use in graphics rendering to the cloud is orders of magnitude slower than required to be of any use.

tl;dr it's just PR bullshit. I'm beyond sick of console companies and their PR lies.

Dragon

Banned
Cloud computing has had lots of practical applications in scientific calculations, protein folding, etc. But in my opinion there are very few practical uses for the tech in gaming. I think MS is just using the azure platform they spent millions on as a convenient way to add perceived value to an otherwise under powered XOne. It will never be utilized in the way they are claiming now, so most people are calling bullshit, and rightfully so.

Well said.

The latency involved with rendering graphics or offloading AI routines for most games is too much. Internet infrastructure has to change in order for all this to be viable. And in places like the United States, Internet Service Providers don't have the motivation to do so, because competition is largely stifled.

DOWN

Banned
Right, but developers still have to develop the game to work on the Xbox One's power alone for those who are offline, just like Microsoft required for development in the fragmented hard-drive/no-hard-drive 360 space.

Until they themselves decided they needed a hard drive for Halo 4 and lifted the requirement for games to work without hard drives.

If it works as well as they say, they should just release a box with a controller port, HDMI and an ethernet connection to the cloud, as a WiiU-beating proof of concept. Oh yeah, and stuff a tiny, but REALLY loud fan in there to demonstrate POWER to your visitors.

Well said.

The latency involved with rendering graphics or offloading AI routines for most games is too much. Internet infrastructure has to change in order for all this to be viable. And in places like the United States, Internet Service Providers don't have the motivation to do so, because competition is largely stifled.

They could easily fix that by buying a house on every single street and shoving a big server room inside each of them.

DrkSage

Even if they didn't release another game, I would be happy with my WiiU, even if it's considered a Bob-omba.

Years as a Nintendo fan have taught me that a Nintendo machine is for Nintendo games, and not much else, Wii put a spanner in that, but the world seems to have righted itself now and nobody wants a Nintendo but the fans.

Yea, I learned that too. I'm still really happy with my DSi and wii. I still don't have wii u nor 3ds but I'm planning on getting them when smash bros gets released.

Jburton

Banned
These people's jobs are to hype this system up. Of course there is gonna be bullshit from all consoles. I agree then need to put up or shut up when it comes to "the cloud" but I just don't think its worth getting upset about like some are. Its just. A buzzword...

It's a lie and false advertising.

Yea, I learned that too. I'm still really happy with my DSi and wii. I still don't have wii u nor 3ds but I'm planning on getting them when smash bros gets released.

OT; A wiiU is like a Vita, it looks like something you really don't want, but when you actually own it your realise.

If companies and their PR are going to say it, then people should damn well question it. I know that sometimes it's just used to kick a console (whichever console) and can get tedious, but that doesn't mean we should sit on our hands and accept it. And MS keep saying it. They're clearly working on and gearing up their Japan strategy, but it appears to be the same one they used to great disdain from launch to release in the west. I bet Albert left here just so he could learn kanji in preparation for his technical fellow posts on neoTokyoGAF and Asia Gamer's Digital Foundry. They keep telling us they're listening, they're learning, but who are they listening to? And what are the really learning?

Synth

Well said.

Graphics? Sure. Quick response physics? Sure. However the latency involved with online based AI is not even close to being too much. I'm not sure what you think the average human thought processing and reaction time is.. but it's nowhere near as fast as your ping likely is.

Graphics? Sure. Quick response physics? Sure. However the latency involved with online based AI is not even close to being too much. I'm not sure what you think the average human thought processing and reaction time is.. but it's nowhere near as fast as your ping likely is.
We've had dedicated servers and bots for decades. It's not an exclusive feature for the xbone, it's been around since the Dreamcast went online, and the PC before that.

One of Microsoft's biggest mistakes in launching the Xbox One has been the fumbled and confused PR campaign. Why are they still flogging this cloud power dead horse?

Cloud power has been running MMO's for years, of course massive server farms improve games, games on ANY system. You can't argue against that. But why is Microsoft using it as a piss poor marketing point? It has only turned the core gamers against them, and running into Sony's arms. I mean what would happen if cloud was removed from Final Fantasy XIV ARR? It wouldn't work, so why isn't Sony shouting from the rooftops? "Woo hee look we've got the cloud! Look at us!"

I'm guessing it's because Sony didn't launch an overpriced and underpowered console and have a PR and astro turfing team comprised of fucking idiots.

TyrantII

The contempt and cynacism for their customers is palpable.

Stuff like this makes it really hard to root for them to turn this ship around. Its all marketing bullshit, and zero value to gamers.

prwxv3

Just because it is teoretically possible does not mean you can spout off like its physically possible at that moment.

p3tran

Banned
Well said.

http://youtu.be/aiWdJxshWMM?t=3m3s

I dont know guys.. You can put me on the side that believes that shit can happen...

shandy706

Who would design a game that when you log off line the graphics AI degrades??

That tricky "graphics AI".

Wut?

LOL

You're really working hard on the X1 thread attacks aren't you.

Microsoft has shown that Physics and AI can be handled by the cloud. Physics calculations for non-essiental things could greatly enhance some games.

You talked about baseless assumptions in another thread, yet seem to know any major improvement is "10 years away"

We've had dedicated servers and bots for decades. It's not an exclusive feature for the xbone, it's been around since the Dreamcast went online, and the PC before that.

True

However, a fully dedicated, free to developers, dynamic server system is not a norm we've had.

Riki

Just because it is teoretically possible does not mean you can spout off like its physically possible at that moment.

What they are suggest isn't even really theoretically possible. You can't use cloud computing to increase your graphical performance.
The best they could do is use it for AI and maybe physics.

hawk2025

Thought experiment:

If Microsoft just about breaks even on each Xbox One, how expensive is it to have the equivalent processing power of three aditional units for each console sold?

Dragon

Banned

Are you equating "ping" with cpu processing? Pinging is basically just asking a question to the server to verify if there's a connection.

It's a lie and false advertising.
But that's the magic of word choice. They said it can do these things, not that it does. In theory these things could come to fruition. are they right now? No. Is it probable in the next few years? Not really. Is it possible by the end of the console's lifecycle? Yes.

Top Bottom