• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

XB1 Retail Version of Battlefield 4 Will Still Run at 720p, 60 FPS, EA Rep confirms

Dunk#7

PS4 seems like a 600-700 PC rig to me.

Would that PC have hUMA architecture? I believe this will set the PS4 apart from the crowd if properly utilized.

Also...will that PC be so standardized that programmers can more-perfectly code to the hardwares full potential? Consoles always outperform their replica PC counter part due to the programming that is able to be written for each. As to how much value that adds...who knows.

Eusis

I call all people to boycott Battlefield 4! I don't want to play downgraded version on PS4 because Microsoft make weak console. I will not support DICE for some shitty PS4 port. YOU WON'T SEE MY MONEY, DICE!!!
Meh, just try to make sales so lopsided in favor of the PS4 that the XB1 gets the Wii U treatment. So long as they're getting a significant chunk of money from the XB1 version they'll have no reason to shun it.

big_z

I can understand the resolution drop, lower quality lighting but I don't understand why the textures would be downgraded. it usually memory capacity that holds back textures and the consoles have 4GB available.

I call all people to boycott Battlefield 4! I don't want to play downgraded version on PS4 because Microsoft make weak console. I will not support DICE for some shitty PS4 port. YOU WON'T SEE MY MONEY, DICE!!!

Reading this with that Kenny avatar is hilarious

frizby

It's like my id got a GAF account.

53 days. Only 53 days till we have our first DF comparison. The blades are being sharpened, the armor is being thickened, the rage is rising to new heights. The fanboy wars is upon us. The smell of bannings... is... arousing!

Nope. PS4 has more than 8 times more pixel fillrate and 16 times more memory (unified) with 8 times the bandwidth and much more GPU grunt compared to PS3, but it can only produce 16 lines more pixels. That's DICE for you.

Are you really going with the 'devs are lazy' angle?

I don't get it. So the PS4 version can't get better than 720p either? Jeez.

And if the technical director of DICE has dismissed this rumor of the PS4 version running at a resolution above 720p, why in the world are people still complaining? Both consoles are underpowered. Deal with it.
The PS4 version is running at above 720p in the dev environment. Johan Andersson is affirming the tweet, and using it to say "false" to the thread on GAF.
I wouldn't take this as confirmation.

Just for a refresher, regarding repi's tweet, this was what led to a thread on here about the PS4 version being 720p:
iwcKRwu.png

Someone tweeted repi the thread and he replied with "false" and linked to the new tweet that clarified that the PS4 version is currently above 720p:
8mKzueY.png

Doesn't say anything about the XB1 version, good or bad.

Codeblew

They're talking about the demos at TGS not the retail versions. I kinda hope ps4 version does run at 720p just for the reactions on gaf. It would be a 100 page thread of people threatening to cancel there pre orders.

My reaction would be not to buy it. I don't want to play upscaled games on my 1080P TV. There are plenty of other games to choose from. I don't have as much time to game as I used to so I can be choosy.

KrAzEd

Banned
I don't get all the rage...If you care that much about graphics and framerate then you shouldn't be a console gamer to begin with. I played the hell out of BF3 for 360, and it looked GARBAGE even compared to a low end pc running it. If the game is good I will play it, and from that snippet of footage they showed for the xbox one, it looks 100 times better. What really matters in the end is if the game is good or not, and for me graphics don't really weigh in on that unless they are reallllly bad.

Chobel

And if the technical director of DICE has dismissed this rumor of the PS4 version running at a resolution above 720p, why in the world are people still complaining? Both consoles are underpowered. Deal with it.

No it's not like this, see
No, he responded to a tweet by fuckechoppe and called that tweet false, whilst citing the embedded tweet as elaboration. The tweet from fuckechoppe was asking if PS4 ran at 720p.

He wasn't replying to the tweet saying it was false. He was saying someone else's tweet was false.

ethomaz

Banned
So to resume the current scenario...

PS4: above 720p
Xbone: 720p

And DICE said they will run at the same resolution... so we have two results: both will run above 720p or both will run at 720p.

The bold one seems like they will sacrificate the PS4 version.

He wasn't replying to the tweet saying it was false. He was saying someone else's tweet was false.

No it's not like this, see

The PS4 version is running at above 720p in the dev environment. Johan Andersson is affirming the tweet, and using it to say "false" to the thread on GAF.

Ah interesting. If they can run it at 900p on the PS4 it's quite ridiculous they they're choosing to do 720p. I'm sure it's not as simple as it seems to us though.

viveks86

EDIT: Obsolete comment. Should have read the entire updated OP instead of the first portion. I'm just going to shut up till we hear from an official source in the west. :D

Would that PC have hUMA architecture? I believe this will set the PS4 apart from the crowd if properly utilized.

Also...will that PC be so standardized that programmers can more-perfectly code to the hardwares full potential? Consoles always outperform their replica PC counter part due to the programming that is able to be written for each. As to how much value that adds...who knows.

I don't know enough about PC rigs to comment on that. Just comparing what it'll cost to build a computer with similar specs. Of course PS4 would perform better than a 700 dollar PC rig.

150 dollar graphics card
150 dollar cpu
50 dollar case
60 dollar power supply
40 dollar hdd
60 dollar ram
100 dollar mother board
70-80 dollars for an os
30-40 for a decent keyboard and mouse combo

Just numbers out of my ass for a budget build.

JAYSIMPLE

Banned
I cant even make out whats going on any more lolol

What is actually fact in this thread? are both versions running at 720p? iis anything confirmed fact??

jusufin

If BF4 comes out on both systems at 720p, it gonna be pretty obvious that the PS4 version was gimped unless it has much more going on. The specs are different, so logic dictates that performance should be different between the two. I can see it happening, why should they increase the performance of the ps4 version and risk pissing off x1 owners/losing sales. I honestly don’t think people are going to see a difference bigger than the ps3/xbox disparity even though PS4 is capable of way more. If this becomes a common practice, I will boycott games that I feel are doing this. I switched to the PS4 from the 360 because I think the PS4 offers more bang for the buck this gen so far (steam box still in the mix). If developers make a conscious effort to not exploit the extra ability then they won't get my support, pure and simple.

Shenzakai

Banned
This once more justifies myself in choosing PC/Steam Machine this gen and probably for the rest of my life as a gamer.

I'm just so tired of this crap. The new consoles are nothin' more but cheap PCs. I wanted at least FullHD and they are even not capable of getting 1080p out of this boxes. Disappointed. Laughing. Returning back to my PC hooked up to my 55" TV playin' Tomb Raider and BioShock Infinite in DX11-ULTRA at glorious 1080p :p

Arulan

Depends on whether you have an AMD or Nvidia card. The Mantle patch for BF4 will be tailored to AMD GCN cards, remember?

It doesn't matter what brand you have, given you have one that can adequately perform. Granted, if the hype surrounding Mantle pans out to be true you'd be able to achieve better performance.

I don't want to speak for BizzyBum, but I believe what he meant was that he'd be able to choose his own resolution. What is the common theme in all the recent threads about "next-gen" downgrades? Users are upset that developers are making the choice for them in terms of resolution, fps, prioritizing of effects, etc. On PC this isn't an issue as the user can make his own choices, choose their own standards, prioritize certain graphical effects over others, etc.

Eusis

How exactly? CPU has nothing to do with resolutions or fps or only in a minimal part. 32 bit CPU are fine for the games, I don't know a 64 bit games until now even on pc.
Missed this.

... Are there even 32-bit CPUs for PCs anymore? We had 64-bit hit the mainstream and stay there nearly 10 years ago. Granted maybe there's some budget CPUs I'm not taking into account, but it seems to me 32-bit CPUs are purely the domain of mobile now, and even that's probably going to end thanks to Apple.

khanthony

Banned
I don't see why DICE would be forced to lower quality on either consoles. There would at least be texture quality differences or maybe shadows/particles differences if PS4's version is forced to downgrade its resolution to 720p (if it is actually being downgraded). Also, sounds like they've been talking about dev environments? That might be changing a few things.

Wasn't there like an impression from IGN back then where they played the PS4 version and said it wasn't very impressive to them? I'm pretty sure DICE improved it and now it runs better. I don't think XB1 is limiting the PS4 version though. Could just be drivers/engine problems or the game's hitting the limits on both consoles at least until its more optimized.

kitch9

Banned

There aren't many 64bit EXE's on the PC, but BF4 will only be 64bit with no 32bit version.

To some extent what he said about the GPU enabling higher resolutions is true. If the CPU load is constant across the Xbox and PS4 the higher specced GPU in the PS4 should be able to draw it at a higher resolution and maintain the same FPS as the two cpu's are pretty much the same.

khanthony

Banned
There aren't many 64bit EXE's on the PC, but BF4 will only be 64bit with no 32bit version.

To some extent what he said about the GPU enabling higher resolutions is true. If the CPU load is constant across the Xbox and PS4 the higher specced GPU in the PS4 should be able to draw it at a higher resolution and maintain the same FPS as the two cpu's are pretty much the same.

Having a higher spec gpu doesn't always man you can run at a higher resolution and cps. It would be true if ps4's gpu was a TON stronger, but it's not. They're from the same chip family, like the difference between an AMD radeon 7950 and 7970.

FeiRR

Banned

Sorry, dear but it's like cancer warnings on smokes in my case. But I'll cry a bit in the corner if it's 720p.

jaosobno

This once more justifies myself in choosing PC/Steam Machine this gen and probably for the rest of my life as a gamer.

I'm just so tired of this crap. The new consoles are nothin' more but cheap PCs. I wanted at least FullHD and they are even not capable of getting 1080p out of this boxes. Disappointed. Laughing. Returning back to my PC hooked up to my 55" TV playin' Tomb Raider and BioShock Infinite in DX11-ULTRA at glorious 1080p :p

Lord Gaben, is that you? Have you come to save the ignorant masses?

Huggers

I'll be very reluctant to buy PS4 games that have been held back technically due to corporate politics or whatever. Should probably wait though until things are more concrete eh

Hell with mantle you can now probably build an even cheaper pc using like an I3 or an FX-6xxx instead of an I5 and Fx-8xxx fuck im bad with names. After bench marking off course..
Should shave off atleast $50 from an build.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
I was playing it 15 minutes ago. Multiplayer at 1080p on high or ultra regularly dipped when I only had 1 7850 in my htpc rig. When I added the second to that rig, I maintained 60 and up with the game maxed. This with a high end intel CPU.

Single player is a lot less demanding on both CPU and GPU

How about single player? Dice could run higher detail/res in SP vs MP?

cyberheater

PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 Xbone PS4 PS4
According to wiki. The GPU in Xbox One which is measured as 1.3Tflops is equivalent to something like a GTX 560 which is also measure at around 1.3Tflops.
I'm pretty sure folks with a GTX 560 can run BF3 at 1080p. And that's without the benefit of eSRAM and a ton of fixed architecture console optimisation.

So why the fuck can't the Xbox One version of BF4 run at 1080p?

jaosobno

According to wiki. The GPU in Xbox One which is measured as 1.3Tflops is equivalent to something like a GTX 560 which is also measure at around 1.3Tflops.
I'm pretty sure folks with a GTX 560 can run BF3 at 1080p. And that's without the benefit of eSRAM and a ton of fixed architecture console optimisation.

I ran 64 player maps with high/ultra settings @40-60+ fps on 560Ti.

kitch9

Banned
Having a higher spec gpu doesn't always man you can run at a higher resolution and cps. It would be true if ps4's gpu was a TON stronger, but it's not. They're from the same chip family, like the difference between an AMD radeon 7950 and 7970.

It is a lot stronger....

Its got nearly double the pixel fillrate for a start, which is handy if you want higher resolutions.... You are correct it doesn't always mean higher resolutions especially if you decide to use the additional horsepower elsewhere for additional effects and things.

Jack cw

Maybe because frostbite 3 is pretty CPU heavy. Maybe the architecture of Xbone is a bottleneck, maybe the drivers arent optimzed yet. Its pretty sad to see how weak this console is.

cyberheater

PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 Xbone PS4 PS4
Maybe because frostbite 3 is pretty CPU heavy. Maybe the architecture of Xbone is a bottleneck, maybe the drivers arent optimzed yet. Its pretty sad to see how weak this console is.

Xbox One devs have at least 6 cpu cores to play with and fast (relative to PC) DDR3 memory. Plus there are some other chips like the audio one to relief some cpu cycles. It should be more then enough.

jaosobno

Oh look, another junior downplaying the performance difference. There seems to be an epidemic these days.

Tell me junior, how is 100% more ROP/pixel fillrate, 50% more SP/CU/TMU not that big of a deal?

It runs about 40~45 fps from some benchmarks i have seen at 1080p.
720p should make it around 80~90 fps with some new effects on it and BF4 should get to 60fps seems about right.

Oh look, another junior downplaying the performance difference. There seems to be an epidemic these days.
Tell me junior, how is 100% more ROP/pixel fillrate, 50% more SP/CU/TMU not that big of a deal?

To be fair Rops/pixelfillrate is not that big of an issue these days if it was
Forza 5 wouldn't run 1080p@60fps2xMsaa(?) now would it.
The Compute will make the difference at least it should but i wouldn't be surprised with launching on what seems like 6 platforms that time is more of an issue.

KMS

Because you can't fit a next gen games framebuffer into the eSRAM so Microsoft made it so you can break it up and keep less used parts of the framebuffer in the system ram. Easier to drop resolution to help squeeze as much needed stuff as you can into the eSRAM in the rush for launch. Then figure out how to run the games at 1080 later on as they don't have enough time to play with it and figure it out for launch.

Killzones frame buffer is what 46megs? Can't remember of the top of my head.

Top Bottom