• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

XB1 Retail Version of Battlefield 4 Will Still Run at 720p, 60 FPS, EA Rep confirms

rjcc

Xbox 360 was a gamer's machine for the first couple of years. I fucking loved that. In one of the "making of" videos that came preinstalled with launch units, there was a clip of the Xbox team having frequent Halo 2 tournaments. They went into great detail about the console design, new controller, and the vastly improved Xbox LIVE infrastructure.

Xbox One isn't getting squat, and is clearly being made as an "all-in-one" machine like the PS3 was early on.

it's amazing how people can convince themselves of something.

like that the xbox one isn't made for gaming. wow.

Piggus

How exactly? CPU has nothing to do with resolutions or fps or only in a minimal part. 32 bit CPU are fine for the games, I don't know a 64 bit games until now even on pc.

CPU does have an impact on fps in a BIG way. Thankfully a lot if general purpose code can be offloaded to the GPU depending on how a game engine is built, CPU can be a massive bottleneck.

Lynn616

How exactly? CPU has nothing to do with resolutions or fps or only in a minimal part. 32 bit CPU are fine for the games, I don't know a 64 bit games until now even on pc.

Not fast enough to feed the GPU. I know it is a limiting factor in many gaming setups.

omonimo

Banned
The difference of 1080p, 900p and 720p can really only be seen in motion; I just lowered my resolution to said lower resolutions and while the game doesn't look so terrible it's noticeably blurry especially 720p in motion. I wish people would stop comparing KZ to BF, because KZ is as close to BF's league as the moon is to the sun. KZ won't have maps as big as BF and with only 24 players it's nothing to brag about. Honestly KZ only impressed me with the grenade explosions, other than that it looks no better than what I'm already use to. With BF4, you have vastly larger maps with a player count GG could only dream of. On top of what BF4 already features, it has destruction and somewhat dynamic maps so please don't compare something as simple as KZ to BF. I still think BF4 on the consoles will be a great experience so console players shouldn't worry; if you want the better visuals then get a PC, it's as simple as that.
On my pc even 1360x768p is it vastly sharpness over the 720p, please it's absolutely what you try to pass.

I'm no tech guru but I do know when I oc'd my 3570k to 4.8ghz the fps and overall performance increased. So to say the cpu has nothing to do with fps is silly, it does from my experience of over clocking and such.

You can get 1080p60 on midrange cards if you lower settings to high (or maybe medium depending on your GPU) and disable AA. It doesn't really look too different from max settings.

That was exactly my point.

VERY FEW people are running these games at 1080p x 60fps @ max settings with all the bullet point goodies.

Not many people own 300-400$ GPU's in their desktops.

So as I said, you are dropping AA, dropping the detail settings, dropping this, dropping that. And medium does not look much different then High/Ultra? lol. Augh.

Crysis 3. Take a look at the 7770 benchmarks please. the 7850 can handle Crysis 3 at sub 1080p with AA, High Detail, etc. and keep around 30-40fps.

Lemme say that again. The 7850, sub 1080p, not max details, only 30-40fps. The 7770 in the same settings? 22-25fps. Unplayable.

Stop thinking these machines are somehow magical. They are limited. Now, games specifically designed for these machines from the ground up will look much different then games designed with multiple systems in mind. Is the best looking games on any system last gen a multi-plat game? Not even close.

Raydeen

2/10

Attempt at trolling too obvious. May I suggest a more passive-aggressive approach next time, perhaps mentioning GDDR5?

iPDl9Q8LFThiH.jpg

todd360

I wonder if maybe this is some people's first console launch.

It definitely is. I cringe every time I see someone complain about the launch titles. This is the greatest launch lineup ever in terms of there is more than 1 game I would like to buy. Xbox only had halo. Ps2 I can't even remember if it had any must have launch titles. 3ds literally had nothing worth buying 3ds for at the start. Ds had nothing. Only bought super mario 64 remake. It was good but not a must have.

IN&OUT

Banned
PS4/X1 power gap is showing this early, as games get more complicated and consoles optimization improves, the gap will get even bigger.

Remember back in the day when people were saying they'd much prefer BF4 to be 720p/60fps than 1080p/30fps? They were lieing, they wanted 1080p/60fps and nothing else lol.

Honestly, yes it sucks, but launch games gonna launch. Sad but true, let's see how they go running up to cert (which should be pretty darn soon)

On my pc even 1360x768p is it vastly sharpness over the 720p, please it's absolutely what you try to pass.

It might not matter but for whatever reason, PC monitors seem to show everything. My point is 1080p on a monitor appears sharper than the equivalent resolution on a TV.

Exactly. PC gamers have the option to use SMAA without MSAA among other tweaks that can balance performance.

it's really the shortcomings of deferred rendering, there are much better options to use instead of MSAA in this situation, hopefully forward+ rendering will fix this issue.

More powerful than what? It isn't confirmed to run at a higher resolution than the Xbox One version, is it?

The first post. Unless I read it wrong. It is early here.

Edit: "Frostbite Technical Director Johan Andersson on Twitter, it runs at a higher resolution in the PS4 developer environment and the final resolution will be apparent when the game will launch"

Am I misreading this?

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
I'm no tech guru but I do know when I oc'd my 3570k to 4.8ghz the fps and overall performance increased. So to say the cpu has nothing to do with fps is silly, it does from my experience of over clocking and such.
CPU does bound performance, but usually not based on resolution.

For example, framerate will tank in physics heavy scenes with a slower CPU in BF3, but it will do that regardless of resolution.

Steroyd

What is wrong with the other two?

Levels may not be Farcry tier of open, but they are more open than the predecessors and you can choose different ways to tackle the game with optional objectives via stealth for example.

To say corridor and static is doing Guerilla a disservice to the changes they did from Killzone 3.

CPU does bound performance, but usually not based on resolution.

For example, framerate will tank in physics heavy scenes with a slower CPU in BF3, but it will do that regardless of resolution.

apparently some users disagree with this and they proceed to blame the CPU for no proper reason. while CPU can cause performance drops in some situations it will never affect the resolution if the CPU is the limiting factor.

omonimo

Banned
It might not matter but for whatever reason, PC monitors seem to show everything. My point is 1080p on a monitor appears sharper than the equivalent resolution on a TV.

It's a tv monitor to be precise. Samsung. I don't know what you are trying to figure out, but just 768p it's quite sharper over 720p in every tv, it's undeniable. Except HD ready tv.

omonimo

Banned
CPU does have an impact on fps in a BIG way. Thankfully a lot if general purpose code can be offloaded to the GPU depending on how a game engine is built, CPU can be a massive bottleneck.

I'm not talking of CPU in general. I'm glad to know how those cpu could be a limit for ps4 or xbone, because I missed the point. 32 bit configuration is not a problem for the games until now, from what I knew, games works at 32 bit on pc.

I just feel bad for people expecting 4K games this gen.

lol

Yeah, we are probably 10 years away from a mainstream GPU able to handle 4K and look fantastic in the process.

Truly, go find the PC you will need if you want to play 1080p x 60fps steady at max settings with your AA and all other effects turned on.

It is a very beefy rig, probably gonna cost you 1000$ if you plan on building it from scratch. The GPU alone will cost you 300-400$. Windows will cost you another 120$. Theres 520$ or so just for the GPU and OS. CPU, another 120-200$. Then still got motherboard, RAM, CD drive, etc. etc.

It takes a 690GTX 4GB GDDR5 to run Battlefield 3 @ around 4K resolution with max settings on and still don't get 60fps.

cyberheater

PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 Xbone PS4 PS4
Put two TV side by side with the same game at 720p & 900p. You could be surprise.
More interesting would be 900p vs1080p. I think that would be a better test.

(I can't believe we're discussing 720p for a next gen launch game)

coolmast3r

720p60 old gen? Interesting...
Yes it is. I don't want to see that blurry 720p mess upscaled to 1080p on my TV screen again. In the 7th gen it was acceptable but it's not in late 2013/8th gen.
I want clear, true 1080p Battlefield experience on PS4/Xbone and it seems I'm not getting this.

I really hope they won't gimp the PS4 version just to have parity..

Then again, I'll probably go for the PC version.

So that my old hardware can gimp it further

omonimo

Banned
I think 1360x768p is something of expected for ps4 to guarantee steady 60 fps (at minimum). Below sound too much for me.

It's a tv monitor to be precise. Samsung. I don't know what you are trying to figure out, but just 768p it's quite sharper over 720p in every tv, it's undeniable. Except HD ready tv.

I was thinking out loud but you are right. When I first built my PC, I had TV that was 720p only but my actual resolution in BF3 was 768p and it looked amazing to me at the time.

720p is ridiculous.

Sure I can maybe get not hitting 1080p. 900p is understandable considering the size of the game and the things its doing. 768p would have been pushing it but still... better then current gen.

720 just smells of laziness.

I hope the PS4 version is higher but that current MS/EA relationship probably means gimped games all round. Kind of crazy that a platform holder would be trying to make a multiplat devs games worse. :/

Gadirok

Well, I didn't expect this especially considering the xbox versions are getting the dlc first.

This is kind of fair but I think this says more about DICE than anything.

After all, PS2 and PS3 got the short end of the stick compared to xbox and xbox 360 multiplats. There were a few exceptions like LA Noire, GTA V, Vanquish, and FFXIII but for the most part its about time PS got some leverage when it had the superior hardware.

James Sawyer Ford

Gold Member
BF MP may have more "scale", but it looks completely drab and boring in comparison to KZ:SF.

I think I'm not going to pick up BF4 after seeing all the footage. Just doesn't seem nearly as slick, polished, or fun as KZ.

Player counts aren't what I'm after in MP.

Top Bottom