• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

XBL: Games with Gold

Alx

So what wonderful treats do MS have lined up for January?

5 internet bucks on Bulletwitch and Feeding Frenzy...

I wouldn't mind getting Bulletwitch actually... I've heard that there are a few redeeming qualities to that game, but I'm certainly not risking 20€ to try it (or even 5€ for a second hand copy, if I can ever find one).
It won't happen though, since the game isn't available as game on demand.

abracadaver

One of these:

The Outfit
Battlefield Bad Company 1
Shadow Complex
Kameo
Perfect Dark Zero
Kinect Sports
Too Human
Banjo Nuts and Bolts
Amped 3
Forza 2
Bomberman Act Zero

One of these:

The Outfit
Shadow Complex
Kameo

Perfect Dark Zero
Kinect Sports
Too Human
Banjo Nuts and Bolts

Amped 3
Forza 2
Bomberman Act Zero

Wouldn't mind the bolded, even if they're a bit dated. I'd especially love to play Bad Company 1 again.

Giving Forza 2 would be retarded though. At least make it 3 or something. Oh what am I saying, this is Microsoft after all...

One of these:

The Outfit
Shadow Complex
Kameo
Perfect Dark Zero
Kinect Sports

Too Human
Banjo Nuts and Bolts
Amped 3
Forza 2
Bomberman Act Zero

image.php

Ghazi

I really hope they step it up, after seeing PS+'s Jan offerings they can't just sit there and think everyone is satisfied with what they're getting in comparison to the competition. Tbh, I would rather have not had this program, if all they're going to do is use it to tick off a checkbox, I appreciate the thought though (and the free, but old, games)

Bsigg12

I really hope they step it up, after seeing PS+'s Jan offerings they can't just sit there and think everyone is satisfied with what they're getting in comparison to the competition. Tbh, I would rather have not had this program, if all they're going to do is use it to tick off a checkbox, I appreciate the thought though (and the free, but old, games)

If they were operating it as a sub required to play the games then they would probably be better. Since you can let Gold run out and keep playing the games, it creates a situation where putting PS+ esque games up becomes a losing proposition for Microaoft and publishers since people would be getting full copies of games for literally nothing each month with no strings to keep users subbed for more months.

Defect

If they were operating it as a sub required to play the games then they would probably be better. Since you can let Gold run out and keep playing the games, it creates a situation where putting PS+ esque games up becomes a losing proposition for Microaoft and publishers since people would be getting full copies of games for literally nothing each month with no strings to keep users subbed for more months.
This.

It might get better on the Xbox One though. Especially since it just came out.

Bsigg12

This.

It might get better on the Xbox One though. Especially since it just came out.

That's what I'm thinking. The Xbox One version of Games With Gold will more closely resemble PS+ since there isn't a gigantic catalog of games for them to pick from. They will have to offer up somewhat newer titles and hopefully maintain a trend of keeping games rolling in that launched in the 3-4 month range for smaller titles and 6-8 months for $59.99 at time of release titles.

Ghazi

In that case, totally my opinion btw, they should've done a sub to keep model anyway. It's not like they lose Gold subscribers that often, and something like that would've been more incentive to keep your sub going and would've allowed them to put up even better games than PS+. It also would've given Gold much more value. The "We let our users keep the games we give away" card in comparisons doesn't work well when PS+ is giving out games from this year while MS is still giving games from 5-6 years ago.

A prime example of, not even dealing with publishers, their cheapness on this would be how they gave away Gears of War 1, GoW1!!!!! They could not have afforded to give away Gears of War 3? In the case of introducing people to the series, the game starts off with a summary of what's happened in the first two games to date! Most people who wanted Gears of War 1 would've played it by now and most newcomers would be turned off by how dated it feels. In comparison to Gears of War 3 where they also have a ton of monetization options like the weapon skins, and DLC add-ons. It's not like GoW3 is selling gangbusters nowadays either.

NeoGash

Nah they'll give us games that came out this year to make it all up to us. Aliens: Colonial Marines and Ride To Hell Retribution.

#Microsoft redeemed.

Bsigg12

In that case, totally my opinion btw, they should've done a sub to keep model anyway. It's not like they lose Gold subscribers that often, and something like that would've been more incentive to keep your sub going and would've allowed them to put up even better games than PS+. It also would've given Gold much more value. The "We let our users keep the games we give away" card in comparisons doesn't work well when PS+ is giving out games from this year while MS is still giving games from 5-6 years ago.

A prime example of, not even dealing with publishers, their cheapness on this would be how they gave away Gears of War 1, GoW1!!!!! They could not have afforded to give away Gears of War 3? In the case of introducing people to the series, the game starts off with a summary of what's happened in the first two games to date! Most people who wanted Gears of War 1 would've played it by now and most newcomers would be turned off by how dated it feels. In comparison to Gears of War 3 where they also have a ton of monetization options like the weapon skins, and DLC add-ons. It's not like GoW3 is selling gangbusters nowadays either.

I completely agree with you. It's cool getting to keep the games and all but GWG looks like shit when PS+ is letting you play DmC and BioShock Infinite if you maintain a sub which when bought in a yearly increment ($49.99 not on sale) amounts to less than $5 a month. Hell base price for Live is $10 more and we're getting the absolute cheapest games that Microsoft/publishers don't actually make anything on anymore since they don't sell.

KDC720

Shadow Complex and American Nightmare would be great.

Forza Horizon would be godlike, but it's probably never gonna happen.

EBE

Wish they'd give out a few xbox originals. They've got psychonauts, San andreas, chaos theory, halo, fable, and ninja gaiden black just sitting there. JUST SITTING THERE

MormaPope

Banned
It would be neat if there were different tiers for being a long time gold member vs. being a new member. New member? They get older games (2007-2010) that they might''ve missed out on due to not owning a 360 earlier. Older member? They get newer stuff (2011-2013) for being a member for a period of time and have probably played most older titles.

Would be better than everyone getting old stuff.

Ghazi

Wish they'd give out a few xbox originals. They've got psychonauts, San andreas, chaos theory, halo, fable, and ninja gaiden black just sitting there. JUST SITTING THERE
I don't think they'd do that though, simply because of the fact it requires an MS licensed hard drive instead of a USB or the built in 4GB flash storage in the Slim 360s to play the games.

It would be neat if there were different tiers for being a long time gold member vs. being a new member. New member? They get older games (2007-2010) that they might''ve missed out on due to not owning a 360 earlier. Older member? They get newer stuff (2011-2013) for being a member for a period of time and have probably played most older titles.

Would be better than everyone getting old stuff.
Or just give everyone newer stuff? New members didn't buy a 360 and gold to play these older games, while it varies from person to person on their interest in the older games, most likely they bought a 360 to play upcoming or currently/recently released games just like the older members did during their time. There being differences would be annoying as well, what if someone wants something the other tier is getting, but can't have because they weren't a gold member for x years, that'd suck.

MormaPope

Banned
Or just give everyone newer stuff? New members didn't buy a 360 and gold to play these older games, while it varies from person to person on their interest in the older games, most likely they bought a 360 to play upcoming or currently/recently released games just like the older members did during their time. There being differences would be annoying as well, what if someone wants something the other tier is getting, but can't have because they weren't a gold member for x years, that'd suck.

Hey man, newer stuff in general is what I want and what everyone wants. I just want some sort of drastic change with what games get given out. I'd opt in for only getting arcade games if it meant getting the best of the best.

Ghazi

Damn it all. Damn it all to hell.
Even then, the emulation is spotty at times. I had some problems with Psychonauts iirc, never was able to get far or finish the game because of technical reasons.

Although, I can't remember any problems with Halo 1. So it may have just been an oddball thing.
Hey man, newer stuff in general is what I want and what everyone wants. I just want some sort of drastic change with what games get given out. I'd opt in for only getting arcade games if it meant getting the best of the best.
Of course! I hope I didn't sound too aggressive or anything. I'm not really mad about the program, free is free after all (even though we are paying an MSRP $60 yearly subscription). Moreso frustrated with the wasted potential they had with it :(

I'll back off into my e-corner for now. What I've said so far in this thread alone was pretty radical, even for me.

MormaPope

Banned
Even then, the emulation is spotty at times. I had some problems with Psychonauts iirc, never was able to get far or finish the game because of technical reasons.

Of course! I hope I didn't sound to aggressive or anything. I'm not really mad about the program, free is free after all (even though we are paying an MSRP $60 yearly subscription. Moreso frustrated with the waste potential they had with it :(

I'll back off into my e-corner for now. What I've said so far in this thread alone was pretty radical, even for me.

You weren't being aggressive. My tier idea was pretty silly, the biggest issue with GMG has been variety.

Sojgat

Nah they'll give us games that came out this year to make it all up to us. Aliens: Colonial Marines and Ride To Hell Retribution.

#Microsoft redeemed.

Colonial Marines would actually be great. A new player population to grief (and I know all the worst tricks), and the LTTP: Colonial Marines is FUCKING GARBAGE threads would be amazing.

It would be a blessing of shit. I've got my fingers crossed for this one.

Top Bottom