• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

XBL: Games with Gold

Scanna

There is the fact that they're really giving them away and not renting them so it might - dunno how these things work - be more difficult or expensive to find recent games...

Riky

$MSFT
I got my son a Gold sub because of this offer, I think he has already had his £30 of value and more, in itself it is a good deal and doesn't need any comparisons to PS+ to be so in itself. Bonus is when his sub runs out the games are still his.

Eltros

Banned
While Sleeping Dogs is better then the normal games offered I would not say it is much of a improvement. Laura Croft is not bad but lets face it, it is nothing compared to what Sony offers. I mean sure you can keep it but it is basically a sub tier game while Sony keeps offering high tier. I used to be a Xbox fanboy but it is stuff like this why my first next gen system will be a PS4. There are other reasons also but this is one of them.

So I know this isn't the right thread but I couldn't find just an xbox live on..

Basically I have always had xbox gold and microsoft points via redeem codes, never had my credit card on my account. Recently I hooked up my paypal to buy some DLC on cheap, and a one month xbox live gold sub. I removed the auto renew (well I thought I did) but its just renewed for another month.

Looking around I found that unless you replace it with another payment option, you can not 1) remove the auto renewal and 2) remove it as a payment method.. So what can I do? Am I just stuck getting xbox live forever now? I was thinking if I paid for a 1 month gold month on like GAME.co.uk where they email you the redeem code and put that in maybe I can swap it in place for my paypal?

Any help welcome.
Sadly you like many others did not read the fine print in the new user agreement regarding xbox live gold subscriptions. If you put you're credit card info in their database you agree to a contract that will grant you gold as long as you are alive with the downfall of microsoft taking your hard earned money every month. You cannot nor ever will be prompted with the option to opt-out. Also...Shall Microsoft ever attempt to raise the monthly fee you will be paying the newfound price. The course will start immediately the following month of course regardless if you have insufficient funds in your checking account. Best thing to do is keep it atleast 50$ in there as I think microsoft will raise the monthly price to 50$ a month in about a year or two. You dont want a bounced check.

So I know this isn't the right thread but I couldn't find just an xbox live on..

Basically I have always had xbox gold and microsoft points via redeem codes, never had my credit card on my account. Recently I hooked up my paypal to buy some DLC on cheap, and a one month xbox live gold sub. I removed the auto renew (well I thought I did) but its just renewed for another month.

Looking around I found that unless you replace it with another payment option, you can not 1) remove the auto renewal and 2) remove it as a payment method.. So what can I do? Am I just stuck getting xbox live forever now? I was thinking if I paid for a 1 month gold month on like GAME.co.uk where they email you the redeem code and put that in maybe I can swap it in place for my paypal?

Any help welcome.

Call CS and demand they remove the payment details. If the first rep is unable to do it, escalate the call.

You're not stuck getting XBLG forever, just call them.

Dabanton

MS is in a hard place they offer games to keep but they're mostly old ass games.

PS+ is a better offer is you want to play more newer titles, the fact you don't keep the games doesn't matter if you're already paying for + it's just added value. Makes me wonder why MS doesn't just do both?

Unless their is some contractual reason MS can't do the same thing? They're obviously planning something so it will be interesting to see what.

Slashlen

MS is in a hard place they offer games to keep but they're mostly old ass games.

PS+ is a better offer is you want to play more newer titles, the fact you don't keep the games doesn't matter if you're already paying for + it's just added value. Makes me wonder why MS doesn't just do both?

Unless their is some contractual reason MS can't do the same thing? They're obviously planning something so it will be interesting to see what.

Do publishers really care if it's a "rental" or not? We don't really know if the rental thing is designed to keep costs down or if it's Sony's idea of keeping people in the service. I would guess it's the latter, but I don't really know.

I think the main reason MS doesn't want to shell out the cash is that they're used to just keeping all of that Gold money. Plus was always about the games, so I think Sony is used to spending a decent portion of it to get games.

JaggedSac

It is probably based on number of people that get the game. There are more people with Gold so I am sure it is more expensive to procure games.

Kinyou

afaik is there simply no game rental system on the 360. That's why they're giving them away instead. I don't think they really made a conscience decision.

Well I think that's because Games With Gold actualy gives you the game. You pay for Gold and you get to keep 2 games forever while PSN let's you play those games as long you pay for the subscription.

Games with gold might be more expensive for MS than PS+ is for Sony. One is a lost sale while the other asks you for money to keep playing it. Just saying...

Chettlar

Banned
Well I think that's because Games With Gold actualy gives you the game. You pay for Gold and you get to keep 2 games forever while PSN let's you play those games as long you pay for the subscription.

Games with gold might be more expensive for MS than PS+ is for Sony. One is a lost sale while the other asks you for money to keep playing it. Just saying...

I agree, which is why I don't complain too much. Still, I wish they'd get some slightly more relevant games on there.

Iron Brigade, Halo 3, Sleeping Dogs were good picks, I thought.

Ironjam

It is probably based on number of people that get the game. There are more people with Gold so I am sure it is more expensive to procure games.

Its not necessarily more expensive, because its good business for publishers as well. Many people will play the game which is a good advertisement. It pushes DLC sales and more people are likely to pick up the sequel.
We did get saints row 3 and BF3 on Plus before their sequels came out, it was no coincidence. :p

Chettlar

Banned
Its not necessarily more expensive, because its good business for publishers as well. Many people will play the game which is a good advertisement. It pushes DLC sales and more people are likely to pick up the sequel.
We did get saints row 3 and BF3 on Plus before their sequels came out, it was no coincidence. :p

True for me. :p I wasn't even going to touch a World of Keflings but...it's actually pretty good. I'm considering picking up the DLC. Same with Iron Brigade.

Any word on Feb titles?

Usually get announced like the very last day of the month.

It's nice they usually have the DLC on sale at the same time

True. I feel so stupid that I didn't get all those Halo 3 maps when the were free. Argh.

So the games with gold is going to extend beyond this month? I thought it was suppose to end at the end of December 2013, and then got a month extension, and that would be it. Is there a source that said it would continue beyond January of 2014?

JaggedSac

Pubs should just give it away to everyone and not just subscribers, they would really rake in the dough that way.

Hypron

I wish games for gold gave us more console/360 exclusives. I don't really feel like playing those multiplatform games because either I've already played them or I can get way better versions for like <$5 during steam sales.

Silky

Banned
What comes out next month? Thief?

...I could see Deus Ex: HR going for free, along with another downloadable Square Enix/Eidos title.

This month was obviously a Square themed month with the release of Tomb Raider definitive, though. So I may be wrong.

Fable DOES come out next month. Fable II: GOTY and Fable Heroes?

Chettlar

Banned
Rayman Origins and/or Legends would be another good one.

Viva Pinata Trouble in Paradise needs to happen. great game.

but yeah. newer stuff from now on. please.

Hadn't thought of that. That would be a great choice!

Actually a better idea would be to wait until a couple months before Viva Pinata 3 is announced, and release it in the second half of the month, after another super popular game is released (basically, people buy gold for the other game, and then also get to have Viva Pinata: TiP in the second half of the month).

This then, get's people experience with the game so that they know what to be excited for with the next one. :) Plus, it's a good game anyway.

Chettlar

Banned
Pubs should just give it away to everyone and not just subscribers, they would really rake in the dough that way.

Maybe have a three times a year thing? (since once wouldn't be way often enough).

And then have them be fairly random, and separate from the main Games with Gold thing.

EBE

Rayman Origins and/or Legends would be another good one.

Hadn't thought of that. That would be a great choice!

Actually a better idea would be to wait until a couple months before Viva Pinata 3 is announced, and release it in the second half of the month, after another super popular game is released (basically, people buy gold for the other game, and then also get to have Viva Pinata: TiP in the second half of the month).

This then, get's people experience with the game so that they know what to be excited for with the next one. :) Plus, it's a good game anyway.

that would depend on Viva Pinata 3 getting made. and while ive been holding out hope that that will happen someday soon... well.. you know how Microsoft has been.

but thats not a bad idea. i could see that happening

EBE

I'd love a jRPG theme month.

Could be Blue Dragon plus Lost Odyssey.

i dont think either are available as Games on Demand titles.

plus, Lost Odyssey alone is something like 25GB. i dont know if MS is worrying about people with those smaller hard drives, but the size of that game could make them hesitant to release it, if they ever did. but yeah, that would be cool :)

Chettlar

Banned
that would depend on Viva Pinata 3 getting made. and while ive been holding out hope that that will happen someday soon... well.. you know how Microsoft has been.

but thats not a bad idea. i could see that happening

Several people from both MS and Rare have expressed interest in another sequel, so I remain hopeful.

I am making the OT for Viva Pinata 3 if it is ever released, just so we're clear lol. I love this franchise so much, if you can't tell by my avatar. :D

Neither of those are on the marketplace to begin with though. Makes no sense why they aren't.

Then what better way to celebrate putting them on there!

Chettlar

Banned
Viva Pinata is a great game/series, but fuck why hasn't there been a Conker sequel? Like it's a no brainer. Conker's Bad Fur Week.

Can we just agree that every Rare game deserves a sequel? And if it has a sequel, yet another one? Because yeah, they have the best games.

catmincer

Neither of those are on the marketplace to begin with though. Makes no sense why they aren't.

Ah. That sucks. But weird they're not on there.

i dont think either are available as Games on Demand titles.

plus, Lost Odyssey alone is something like 25GB. i dont know if MS is worrying about people with those smaller hard drives, but the size of that game could make them hesitant to release it, if they ever did. but yeah, that would be cool :)

That's a good point actually about space. Ah well I can still dream.

MrDaravon

Sadly you like many others did not read the fine print in the new user agreement regarding xbox live gold subscriptions. If you put you're credit card info in their database you agree to a contract that will grant you gold as long as you are alive with the downfall of microsoft taking your hard earned money every month. You cannot nor ever will be prompted with the option to opt-out. Also...Shall Microsoft ever attempt to raise the monthly fee you will be paying the newfound price. The course will start immediately the following month of course regardless if you have insufficient funds in your checking account. Best thing to do is keep it atleast 50$ in there as I think microsoft will raise the monthly price to 50$ a month in about a year or two. You dont want a bounced check.

This is correct, but I would also mention that if Paypal is the only payment option on your account you CAN turn auto-renew off, which I personally confirmed and let my Gold lapse briefly and wasn't charged. IIRC once you're on gold you always HAVE to have a payment option on file, so what you can do is with the CC already being on file is add Paypal, set Paypal as your default payment option, then remove the CC. Then with Paypal being the only thing on file you can turn auto-renew off.

afaik is there simply no game rental system on the 360. That's why they're giving them away instead. I don't think they really made a conscience decision.

This. The backend was never built with this in mind; they're not letting people keep the games forever out of genorisity, it's because there is literally no way for them to block access to them after it's associated with your account like PSN can (well, at least outside of banning you :p). So that's a consumer benefit, but I'm 100% sure that's why the offerings on 360 are not nearly as good as PS+. I expect that on Xbox One whenever this starts happening there they will lock you out if your Gold lapses, so hopefully they can get better offerings there.

MormaPope

Banned
Can we just agree that every Rare game deserves a sequel? And if it has a sequel, yet another one? Because yeah, they have the best games.

One of the most damning things for Microsoft game development is sitting on all of those IP's and doing nothing with them.

Top Bottom