• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

XBL: Games with Gold

Montresor

Why on earth wasn't Banjo Tooie free for all regions? I have no interest in Dungeon Defenders. I did my time with Iron Brigade - I'm not that big of a fan of tower defense games.

Then again it probably would have caused some kind of shitstorm. "Another old game?!?!?!!?!"

Why on earth wasn't Banjo Tooie free for all regions? I have no interest in Dungeon Defenders. I did my time with Iron Brigade - I'm not that big of a fan of tower defense games.

Then again it probably would have caused some kind of shitstorm. "Another old game?!?!?!!?!"

Well I'd rather have an old good game than a meh tower defense as we already had lots of those.

mclem

Lets hope that games with gold for xbox one starts in april.

I'll be interested to see if they let you stockpile games in advance without owning the system like Sony do. I'll probably be picking up a One this year sometime (almost certainly if Halo 2 anniversary is a real thing), it'd be nice to have a readymade collection.

acm2000

A free shit game is still a shit game.

its a free game as a gift, no one has the right to demand "good" games or "newer" games just because they dont like the particular game thats offered.

its a bonus gift twice a month as a thank you for sticking with gold, you dont subscribe to gold just for the games with gold program.

Olaf

Banned
I'll be interested to see if they let you stockpile games in advance without owning the system like Sony do. I'll probably be picking up a One this year sometime (almost certainly if Halo 2 anniversary is a real thing), it'd be nice to have a readymade collection.

As long as you have a Microsoft account you can. "Buy" them on the website.

DarkFlow

Banned
its a free game as a gift, no one has the right to demand "good" games or "newer" games just because they dont like the particular game thats offered.

its a bonus gift twice a month as a thank you for sticking with gold, you dont subscribe to gold just for the games with gold program.
No, you subscribe because your Xbox would be a paperweight without it. Also you're like the 50th person to say that entitled crap, come up with something original.

Skeleton

Banned
you can keep the game if you cancel xbox live.

But you won't even be able to use internet explorer on the 360/one.

That is how they value these games, less than IE......

I own both an xbox one and ps4 but seriously PS+ destroys GWG.

Skeleton

Banned
Funny, that. I've been using my Xbox 360 for almost two years before becoming a Gold member, and I've been having a blast.

Buzz_4b1577_1309812.jpg

Because local multiplayer doesn't exist anymore.

Seriously, where do people come up with this shit? Suddenly enjoying single player games such as Oblivion, Persona, BioShock or Half-Life is a bad thing.

You know some people like to watch Netflix and the like on them right? I've known a few people that used them only for media and nothing else.

That's great, but claiming that the console would be worthless without a subscription is simply ridiculous. And not only because those wanting to use Netflix or other apps have a zillion other choices these days. My TV comes with those apps, for crying out loud.

mclem

As long as you have a Microsoft account you can. "Buy" them on the website.

I know that's possible currently, I'm just curious if they'll start to build up restrictions on how you do it once one sub is offering two different brackets of product.

I was thinking about what MS could do to stand out with Games with Gold, and I think one solid idea would be to give gamers a choice between games on the 15th and 30th of the month. For example, if GwG starts on the Xbox One in April (as ntrknl said), it would be awesome if they allowed us to choose if we wanted, for example, Ryse or Forza 5 for free. Would definitely up the competitiveness with PS+ in my opinion if gamers get a say (albeit a small say) in which game they get free.

Gestault

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/pub?key=0Asl3HU3xJ2rLdDR0T0MtX2l3VUpvZXB0cVc4VWVPcVE&output=html

I've added new info for this update.
1) Price
2) Link to Xbox Marketplace to download
3) Total Value
4) Colored MetaCritic Metascore cell according to score. Uses same score range as Metacritc - http://www.metacritic.com/about-metascores
5) Average MetaCritic Metascore.
6) Sorting, but it's only available for those that I share with. HTML version doesn't support scripting. Sorry. If anybody can help me make that available to the public that would be great.

Looks like I've saved over $300 since the program started in June. Not great, but not too bad for a first start. Actual savings is a lot less since I already finished 3 of them before I got them free. Plus, I have only played one of the titles since downloading. Eventually they will release a title that I've missed & want to play.

Wow, that's really well put together.

I was thinking about what MS could do to stand out with Games with Gold, and I think one solid idea would be to give gamers a choice between games on the 15th and 30th of the month. For example, if GwG starts on the Xbox One in April (as ntrknl said), it would be awesome if they allowed us to choose if we wanted, for example, Ryse or Forza 5 for free. Would definitely up the competitiveness with PS+ in my opinion if gamers get a say (albeit a small say) in which game they get free.

That is a fantastic idea. I hate all the indies that we keep getting from PS+ on PS4. If I had the choice of a full game that would be awesome, and make the service so much better.

FiggyCal

Banned
No, you subscribe because your Xbox would be a paperweight without it. Also you're like the 50th person to say that entitled crap, come up with something original.

I think it's worth noting that PS Plus started as a free games program and extended into online multiplayer. Xbox Live Gold has always been for going online; this free games thing they are doing seems less like competing with PS Plus and more of a bonus gift for subscribing. If you don't like the games being offered, don't download them.

Oh man I saw the thread pop up and hoped someone posted the games for next month

Hope the first one will be good. It will be the last one for me. My gold expires next week.

Curufinwe

I think it's worth noting that PS Plus started as a free games program and extended into online multiplayer. Xbox Live Gold has always been for going online; this free games thing they are doing seems less like competing with PS Plus and more of a bonus gift for subscribing. If you don't like the games being offered, don't download them.

Or cancel your Xbox Live Gold subscription.

if anything free can't be used with ps+ because you are basically paying for the damn games and nothing else

Top Bottom