• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

XBL: Games with Gold

Ruze789

Does anyone know if the free games need to be downloaded within the available times, or is queueing it up through XBL.com enough?

I broke down my 360 setup last month and got Crackdown queued for download online via xbox.com, but haven't had a chance to set my 360 up to actually download it. Forgot all about it until this morning, seeing this thread.

So it's generally accepted that it is a good idea to start with case zero before doing the main game?

Yup. Eases you into the game and starts you off on a semi-decent footing with regards to skill level and initially available weapon combos.

Does anyone know if the free games need to be downloaded within the available times, or is queueing it up through XBL.com enough?

I broke down my 360 setup last month and got Crackdown queued for download online via xbox.com, but haven't had a chance to set my 360 up to actually download it. Forgot all about it until this morning, seeing this thread.

As long as it's in your purchase history, your good to go.

richi_one

If you add it to the queue (if you purchase it) then you can delete it from the queue and download it again whenever you want from your purchase history

rvy

Banned
Uh, the fucking Xbox site has a bug that doesn't let me download DR2 because I don't have any payment options.

Not this shit again, Microsoft.

Uh, the fucking Xbox site has a bug that doesn't let me download DR2 because I don't have any payment options.

Not this shit again, Microsoft.

I have no payment options either, but it still let me choose "Pay with Microsoft Points" at the final hurdle. It's next to the "Add a payment option" link.

crpav

Free is free so I queued up the games but I never finished Dead Rising. Lost interest because getting stuck on the roller coaster clown fight and not a big fan of having to rush through the game due to the "time limit". Not sure if I should try and finish the first game or just jump in and try the new games.

malfcn

Touched Fable 3, bought whatever the other games was..bear DR: Case Zero and haven't touched DR2 yet. Curious was September brings. Is the First DR worth playing?

Bsigg12

Touched Fable 3, bought whatever the other games was..bear DR: Case Zero and haven't touched DR2 yet. Curious was September brings. Is the First DR worth playing?

The first DR is a must play on the 360. Once you get used to the controls its a lot of fun.

Seems they're doing one MS published game and one third party game per month. Hoping Halo 3 is next, I'd love for the multiplayer to be more active again.

Dongs Macabre

aka Daedalos42
Seems they're doing one MS published game and one third party game per month. Hoping Halo 3 is next, I'd love for the multiplayer to be more active again.

Yeah, that would be great.

Anyone know how it'll work if I installed the multiplayer disc from ODST? Will it overwrite it or something?

Halo 3 has shitty load times because of how it caches to the HDD. It was optimized to be loaded from the disc and loads slow as balls when installed.

I think MS had acknowledged this at one point no?

-=EDIT=-
Bungie

http://halo.bungie.net/news/content.aspx?cid=16252

Slower loading because of HDD caching is correct. I also found these official statements from MS/Bungie that says they did not fix it for GoD but that you really shouldn't worry too much. "Slow as balls" might be an overstatement.

Kotaku: Halo 3 Now Downloadable To Xbox 360, But With An Asterisk

Microsoft Spokesperson said:
Halo 3 has undergone extensive testing to ensure that players will have a positive experience, whether the game is played from a DVD, hard disk drive or USB drive. When installed to the Xbox 360 hard disk drive, players may experience longer than average mission and map load times, but regardless of where the game is installed, gameplay performance is not affected.

Brian Jarrard from Bungie said:
"To our knowledge there was no additional work done on the code to optimize the game for HDD [harddrive] installation"
[..]
"The game is obviously still playable and enjoyable and it's likely most people may not even notice a difference. However, we did encourage people who owned the disc to not install to HDD since it would result in longer load times. Keep in mind that we're pretty hardcore about this kind of thing so when we found out that it loading Halo 3 to the HDD would increase load times, we wanted to make sure our fans knew about it."
[..]
"in reality it's not that big of a deal, just something we get protective over. Ideally we want all of our fans to have the best possible experience with our games."

Cat Party

Would love to see Shadowrun go up on this. fingers crossed

Man, that game was awesome for what it was, but I've never seen a more obviously unfinished game get released. I lol'd the first time I saw the climbing "animation." I doubt they want to remind people about this game.

Man, that game was awesome for what it was, but I've never seen a more obviously unfinished game get released. I lol'd the first time I saw the climbing "animation." I doubt they want to remind people about this game.

Shadowrun has been free in Germany (because of Dead Rising and/or Crackdown being banned AFAIK).

case west is pretty good, this is definitely more enjoyable than dr1 so far. looking forward to 2 but gonna milk this dry before i move on.

Top Bottom