• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

XBLA (Xbox Live Arcade) News, Announcements, Reviews, and Impressions Thread

♫ On the eleventh day before 2013 our Masters offer us,
♫ Some Rockstar games on demand.

21st Dec, Daily Deal

L.A. Noire - 1600msp/20$ (was 2400/30$) US price, check your region

Max Payne 3 - 3200msp/40$ (was 4800/60$) US price, check your region

Midnight Club: LA - 800msp/10$ (was 1200/15$) US price, check your region

Red Dead Redemption - 1600msp/20$ (was 2400/30$) US price, check your region

♫ To make up for that gritty choice a magical fairy brings to us,
♫ A reminder of a game coming in 2013.
♫
♫ Sacred Citadel is a game from Southend,
♫ The team that made ilomilo.
♫ Sacred Citadel is a side-scrolling brawler with RPG elements,
♫ And it is a prelude for Sacred 3.
♫ There are four classes to choose from,
♫ In single player or in three player co-op.
♫ Something something due in 2013.

Reveal trailer || Safiri warrior trailer || Khukuri shaman trailer

sacredbanneroxk0x.png

I am reading these to the tune of the song. Keep it up!

Izick

I caved and bought Fez as well. I really hope it's as good as people say, but I'm not sure how much I'll get into the weird 3rd layer of stuff people mentioned.

I really hope that Dust somehow gets knocked down to 400 MSP.

Darn. Missed the Mark of the Ninja post yesterday, going through the link showed it still at 600 points but when I went to buy it, it went back to 1200.

:(

JDdelphin

The link to Wrestlefest still shows March 3, 2012 as the release date. :(
I was hoping this would come out, also hoping it wouldn't suck.

Yeah me too. As a kid the arcade original was my favorite thing evvvvvvver.

But they way they've reworked the game, and how it looks...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CIIK_j25A9E
compared to the actual sprites and animations of the original it seems lacking in almost all areas. They've added 'more moves' but they all look terrible, the transitions seem worse and the sped up gameplay makes it seem extra jerky...

I still hope that they'd up things for a console version, instead of porting over a phone game as is and expect people to pay more...

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
So, follow up to yesterday's posts I made about Joe Danger 2, which I bought in the sale:

- Joe Danger 2 is shorter than Joe Danger.
- Joe Danger 2 is easier than Joe Danger. I notice there's an achievement for finishing a level after dying at least 50 times on the level. I haven't unlocked it. :/
- Odd score change: when you crash and respawn, the trick combo you built up up until the point where you crashed is saved. In JD1 this does not occur. The result is enormous, enormous scores built up over the run of the game.
- Joe Danger 2 has, I think, less overall variety than Joe Danger--it has more vehicle types, but because of this it feels like the emphasis was taken away from making a really strong, deep game for the regular Bike vehicle.
- The presentation is better than Joe Danger 1
- I did love how every level name was a pun on a movie title.

I did like the game, and some parts of it I liked a lot, but I'd recommend JD1 over JD2 if you could only buy one. If you finished JD1 and really want more and really liked JD1, I don't think you'd feel ripped off buying JD2 on sale, but it's not quite substantial enough to recommend at the full 1200 points price.

100%'d the game, 100%'d the deleted scenes, all Pro Medals, #37 in the world on the leaderboards.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Mark of the Ninja and Fez are very different kinds of platformers though, and I wouldn't say the artstyle has anything to do with people championing either of them. I have yet to play Ninja past the demo though.

Despite the negativity behind the creator, Fez is a unique game with interesting mechanics and it requires some thinking outside the box, this is why people fuss over it.
And the fact that the last third of Fez requires you to use the same gimmick over and over once you figure it out, devolving into
go here, input code translation, go to next place, repeat
. Terrible design and I gave up shortly after figuring out this was the case from what people were saying in the OT at the time.

Fez is the most overhyped game this year for sure. Between that and the dev being a dick and now people run the risk of having their saves corrupted with no fix in sight, yeah it's pretty hard for me to get motivated to play that game again.

pacman85

I picked up Trine 2 earlier today while it was still on sale after checking out videos (mainly the Quick Look from GiantBomb) of it. Graphics looked amazing and it looks like each character is unique enough to allow for some re-playability.

apesh1t

Banned
I can't find the XBLA sales thread, but does anyone know when/if Deadlight is going on sale? Is it part of the count down sale?

I picked up Trine 2 earlier today while it was still on sale after checking out videos (mainly the Quick Look from GiantBomb) of it. Graphics looked amazing and it looks like each character is unique enough to allow for some re-playability.

it's a marked improvement over the first game. I'm really down that it didn't do well for frozenbyte. :(

anyway, I noticed that mark of the ninja has smartglass functionality. has anyone used it? what does it add?

Yes, it's weird. Mark of the Ninja is an excellent game, but it doesn't have the same fandom surrounding it. I think it's the cutesiness charm of Fez that gets people worked up. And maybe the fact that it has detractors makes fans mobilize.

Spoken like someone who has never played Fez. The charm of the art style and music has nothing to do with it, it's the amazingness of
the code cracking!!!
that no other game offers that is what makes Fez so special.

Socreges

Banned
Spoken like someone who has never played Fez. The charm of the art style and music has nothing to do with it, it's the amazingness of
the code cracking!!!
that no other game offers that is what makes Fez so special.
Nah, we've already figured it out. Thanks for playing, though.

And I have played Fez. Haven't gotten very far, though.

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
R.A.W worth getting for 400 points? I love me some loot games and even spent hours playing D&D: Daggerdale. :D

I was thinking of getting it the other day, and thought it fellt really good, in a mashy, hack-and-slash way...

Until I found out that playing local co op (note it has no online co op) DOES NOT ALLOW PLAYER 2 TO SAVE THEIR CHARACTER AT ALL.

Game-breakingly stupid. I could understand them not letting 2P earn achievements (which I hate, but is much too common in this day and age), but not letting them save their character?!? That's horrible.

If you're going to play as a single player adventure though, go for it. I thought Daggerdale was horribly buggy, and that this game felt quite a bit better... until I found out about the 2p thing, so take that as you will.

So the Capcom Arcade Cabinet Achievement list is out:

http://www.xbox360achievements.org/game/capcom-arcade-cabinet/achievements/

The "game" has 12 achievements for 400 Points, but from the looks of it all games will be DLC, with the "app" featuring 3 games from the get go -- Black Tiger, Avengers (not Marvel) and 1943

Maybe those games are free? Not like anyone's going to actually purchase Avengers :p
So basically, like Game Room, heh.

Black Tiger is the bomb, by the way.

Vert boil

This one goes out to bearcatjosh, ☮ & ♡.

♫ On the tenth day before 2013 our Masters offer us,
♫ Some Rockstar games on demand.

22nd Dec, Daily Deal

Tony Hawk's Pro Skater HD - 600msp (was 1200)

♫ To make up for that goofy choice a magical fairy brings to us,
♫
♫ Charlie Murder is a game from Ska Studios,
♫ The team that made The Dishwasher: Dead Samurai and Vampire Smile.
♫ Charlie Murder is a brawl-PG set in a zom-pocalypse,
♫ Where you play as a punk band.
♫ Battle your rival death metal band Gore Quaffer,
♫ By yourself or with three of your friends.
♫ No date but it should be out in the first half of next year.

First trailer || PAX cam interview

charliebannert2kum.png

aku:jiki

R.A.W worth getting for 400 points? I love me some loot games and even spent hours playing D&D: Daggerdale. :D
It's all right, but not great. The mage is pretty fun to mess around with, spamming fireballs all over the place.

It has one pretty big problem that makes the game much more boring than it should be, though: the XP system is...shockingly stupid. The game is divided into stages, about 25 of them, and the only time you can really earn XP is when you start a new one, and at that point you earn A TON of XP. After leveling up in a stage, you'll earn like 1% of the XP from each kill. It just ends up in you saying fuck it and running past everything since you can't level up until the next stage anyway. No idea why they would do that...

So, follow up to yesterday's posts I made about Joe Danger 2, which I bought in the sale:

- Joe Danger 2 is shorter than Joe Danger.
- Joe Danger 2 is easier than Joe Danger. I notice there's an achievement for finishing a level after dying at least 50 times on the level. I haven't unlocked it. :/
- Odd score change: when you crash and respawn, the trick combo you built up up until the point where you crashed is saved. In JD1 this does not occur. The result is enormous, enormous scores built up over the run of the game.
- Joe Danger 2 has, I think, less overall variety than Joe Danger--it has more vehicle types, but because of this it feels like the emphasis was taken away from making a really strong, deep game for the regular Bike vehicle.
- The presentation is better than Joe Danger 1
- I did love how every level name was a pun on a movie title.

I did like the game, and some parts of it I liked a lot, but I'd recommend JD1 over JD2 if you could only buy one. If you finished JD1 and really want more and really liked JD1, I don't think you'd feel ripped off buying JD2 on sale, but it's not quite substantial enough to recommend at the full 1200 points price.

100%'d the game, 100%'d the deleted scenes, all Pro Medals, #37 in the world on the leaderboards.

I got it on release day, as I loved the original one. Got bored after an hour and never bothered to go back.

Vert boil

♫ On the ninth day before 2013 our Masters offer us,
♫ Some summer of arcade games.

23rd Dec, Daily Deal

Deadlight - 600msp (was 1200)
Dust: An Elysian Tail - 600msp (was 1200)
Hybrid - 400msp (was 1200)

♫ In addition to those choices a magical fairy brings to us,
♫
♫ Ascend: New Gods is a game from Signal Studios,
♫ The team that made Toy Soldiers.
♫ Ascend: New Gods is a ARPG,
♫ With asynchronous multiplayer similar to Dark Souls.
♫ Play as a Caos and choose a deity,
♫ And pillage the world and dominate on their behalf.
♫ There is a mobile companion game to go with Ascend,
♫ That feeds back into your game.
♫ It will be free to play (cue moaning about gold),
♫ And due early 2013.

Announcement trailer || Gameplay trailer || E3 stage demo/interview

ascendbannerqoua8.png

Vert boil

♫ On the eighth day before 2013 our Masters offer us,
♫ Some trials arcade games.

24th Dec, Daily Deal

Trials HD - 400msp (was 800)
--Big Pack - 200msp (was 400)
--Big Thrills - 200msp (was 400)
Trials Evolution - 800msp (was 1200)
--Origin of Pain - 200msp (was 400)

♫ To make up for that chassis choice a magical fairy brings to us,
♫
♫ The Cave is a game from Ron Gilbert and Double fine,
♫ The mind that created Deathspank and the team behind Psychonauts.
♫ The Cave is an adventure game,
♫ Where you explore a sentient cave.
♫ Choose three out of seven characters at a time,
♫ And take them on a journey of self discovery.
♫ Use each character unique abilities,
♫ To solve puzzles in multiple ways.
♫ The Cave is coming out next month,
♫ January 2013.

Debut trailer || Character trailer #1 || Character trailer #2

cavebannergvk1o.jpg

Some might consider this a bit spoiler-ish but it's dang sexy.

TimmiT

Surprised that you're not using Monkey Island as the example of a well known thing Ron Gilbert has made instead of Deathspank, something generally less praised.

Vert boil

♫ On the seventh day before 2013 our Masters offer us,
♫ Some xbox live arcade games.

25th Dec, Daily Deal

Fruit Ninja Kinect - 400msp (was 800)
--8-bit Cartridge - 80msp (was 160)
--Art Box - 80msp (was 160)
--Space Capsule - 80msp (was 160)
--Storm Season - 80msp (was 160)
Hydro Thunder Hurricane - 400msp (was 1200)
Leedmees - 200msp (was 800)
Mini Ninjas Adventures - 400msp (was 800)
Rock of Ages - 200msp (was 800)
Walking Dead: Episode 1 - free (until the 31st)

♫ In addition to those choices a magical fairy brings to us,
♫
♫ Super TIME Force is a game from Capybara Games,
♫ The team that made Sword & Sworcery and M&M: Clash of Heroes.
♫ Super TIME Force is a 2d shooter where you run and gun,
♫ With your own ghosts after you die and time is reversed.
♫ Build up an army of strategically chosen comrades,
♫ And blast your way to the boss.
♫ Revive one of your dead compatriots after you've killed what killed them,
♫ To use them as a checkpoint.
♫ Something something due sometime in 2013.

First peek trailer || Time out! trailer || PAX east preview/interview

superbanner27uq5.png

Daigoro

still hemming and hawing over Bully and RB3 GoD. got the points, but dont want something better to come along and then be out of luck (like some super awesome deal on Borderlands 2 thats not gonna happen.)

probably wind up skipping both.

other than that i havent bought 1 thing from this hoiday sale. only thing ive bought is Catan form the Deals App. that app is still completely disconnected from the rest of XBLA huh? when i look at DLC for Catan, it shows that i can rebuy the game for 800 pts as if i dont own it. same with the DLC. so dumb.

fucking garbage app.

Card Boy

Banned
I haven't seen Castlevania: SOTN, 'Splosion Man or the Banjo Kazooie (N64 remasters) go on sale for awhile. The pattern for Castlevania was every 3-4 months according to Major Nelsons blog but it hasn't being on sale for awhile....

CrunchinJelly

formerly cjelly
I haven't seen Castlevania: SOTN, 'Splosion Man or the Banjo Kazooie (N64 remasters) go on sale for awhile. The pattern for Castlevania was every 3-4 months according to Major Nelsons blog but it hasn't being on sale for awhile....
They probably won't be on sale again. They tend to discount more recent stuff.

Vert boil

or games tab>Browse games>(top right hand corner)Sales panel. There is usually a panel for the app there.

edit, see you found it. :)

pacman85

I'll update throughout the day.

DOTW

Backbreakers Vengeance - 600msp (was 1200)
Deep Black: Episode 1 - 400msp (was 800)
Naughty Bear: Panic in Paradise - 600msp (was 1200)
Wrecked Revenge Revisited - 600msp (was 1200)

-----
Sales & Specials+ app

Splosion Man - 400msp (was 800)
Ms. Splosion Man - 400msp (was 800)

Are any of these games worth it? I remember trying out Backbreaker Vengeance thinking it was pretty fun and that the physics of it were pretty good but not for 1200 points. I may consider it at 600. What about the other games? I bought Splosion Man when it was on sale at some point (I think it was when it was 160 points last Black Friday) but it is sitting in my backlog untouched. Is Ms. Splosion Man an upgrade over it I should consider at 400 points? And I know there are demos for all these which I will download and try out but sometimes the demo does not represent the full game very well and I like getting opinions from people who have bought the full games. Thanks and Merry Christmas!

Are any of these games worth it? I remember trying out Backbreaker Vengeance thinking it was pretty fun and that the physics of it were pretty good but not for 1200 points. I may consider it at 600. What about the other games? I bought Splosion Man when it was on sale at some point (I think it was when it was 160 points last Black Friday) but it is sitting in my backlog untouched. Is Ms. Splosion Man an upgrade over it I should consider at 400 points? And I know there are demos for all these which I will download and try out but sometimes the demo does not represent the full game very well and I like getting opinions from people who have bought the full games. Thanks and Merry Christmas!

I can't speak to the others but DO NOT go anywhere near Deep Black. Absolutely horrible game.

Top Bottom