• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

XBLA (Xbox Live Arcade) News, Announcements, Reviews, and Impressions Thread

5amshift

Banned
Jumped in today and got an X360 for Christmas! Definitely going to check out the store and catch up on what I missed on all these years.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Jumped in today and got an X360 for Christmas! Definitely going to check out the store and catch up on what I missed on all these years.

Here's the most important thing:
EVERY XBLA game has a demo. All of them.

So the best thing you can do is just go to the A-Z list and download the demo for anything that remotely piques your interest, even a little bit.

basically what stump said, but as there's a lot of chaff on the service, here are a few I highly recommend checking out.

shadow complex
mark of the ninja
geometry wars 2
hydro thuder hurricane (perfect time to bite as it's 66% off)
the dishwasher and especially 2
super meat boy
n+
dust: an elysian tale
fez
the walking dead
radiant silvergun
omega five
bionic commando rearmed
braid
trials evolution and hd
splosion man
rocket riot

and many many more.

Vert boil

♫ On the sixth day before 2013 our Masters offer us,
♫ A camping simulator game.

26th Dec, Daily Deal

Couner-Strike: GO - 600msp (was 1200)

♫ To make up for that shooty choice a magical fairy brings to us,
♫ A reminder of a game coming in 2013.
♫
♫ BattleBlock Theater is a game from The Behemoth,
♫ The team that made Alien Hominid and Castle Crashers.
♫ BattleBlock Theater is a co-op/competitive platform game,
♫ Where you traverse challenging levels with your friends,
♫ Help or hinder, that's up to you.
♫ On top of the story mode there is also an Arena mode,
♫ Where you battle friends in various challenges.
♫ Create your own character to play with,
♫ and create endless worlds with the built in level editor.
♫ Something something some time in 2013.

Official trailer || Prologue trailer || Prisoner trailers (shows of individual gameplay elements)

battleblockbannerwyjoz.png

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
(great job doing this every day)

I can't see any possible way Battleblock Theatre comes out and does anywhere near the same scale of sales as Castle Crashers. Like, I would expect it to be the standard 50k-150k that many new release XBLA games seem to do.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
I'm still excited about Battleblock Theatre, but the fact that its only 2 player MP still makes me a bit bummed.

So I got a 360 today and I was wondering what Arcade games were any g
Oh, thank you.

No Pac-Man DX though?

I thought both Pac-Man updates were really good but I could see leaving them off a list unless someone specifically mentions they want a short-burst high score game. I think a lot of people go into those games excited and amazed by the spectacle but quickly moved on to meatier games that are abundant on the service. I know that's my personal issue with the games. Usually played them enough to get most or all achievements and then just moved along. At one point I was #3 on the leaderboards in Pac-Man DX but I think that was within the first few days when there were only like 15k players. I definitely think the games are worth buying, but possibly after you've gone through others.

And for a similar experience I'd go with Geometry Wars 2 over either Pac-Man.

Edit: And looking at that particular posted list I'd question Omega Five (got all achievements, though) and Radiant Silvergun (love Ikaruga but I simply couldn't get into Radiant Silvergun). More a matter of personal preference. I don't dislike shooters but I'd pick Sine Mora or Trouble Witches Neo over those. Or the Games on Demand Akai Katana, though that's likely back up to $30 so quite a bit more expensive.

Pachimari

Hmm, I got a question.

I have Xbox Live Silver and a credit card on my account but for some reason it won't let me buy Microsoft Points or anything. Why is that? =/

Also, are there any great XBLA Kinect games besides Kinect Party?

ironcreed

Banned
Picked up Backbreaker Vengeance for 600 points. Never gave the full football game a chance, but probably will now. The Euphoria physics are the best thing I have ever seen in a football game. Even if this version is just arcadey football obstacle courses, it's pretty damn fun even if you are not a big football fan... and gets tough.

BTW, tell me when has Madden ever made football look this awesome?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hehg9o3r3rs

Hmm, I got a question.

I have Xbox Live Silver and a credit card on my account but for some reason it won't let me buy Microsoft Points or anything. Why is that? =/

Also, are there any great XBLA Kinect games besides Kinect Party?

Looking up online it looks like it occasionally blocks people from happening when information needs to be verified or possibly due to your bank's rules. Apparently contacting Microsoft support in chat or phone can usually clear it up within 24-hours. Try going through their contact page: http://support.xbox.com/en-US/contact-us?xr=footnav#0:0:5

As for XBLA Kinect games, I'd suggest Leedmees if any but my experience hasn't been all that broad across them and there's possibly something else that's good. I'll admit I prefer my Kinect to be used for voice stuff more than actual body control so that's more my focus with it.

Vert boil

♫ On the fifth day before 2013 our Masters offer us,
♫ Some cracklin' shooting fun.

27th Dec, Daily Deal

Borderlands 1 - 800msp/10$ (was 1600/20$) US price, check your region

Borderlands 2 - 3200msp/40$ (was 4800/60$) US price, check your region
--Season Pass - 1800msp (was 2400)

♫ To make up for that shooty choice a magical fairy brings to us,
♫
♫ Skulls of the Shogun is a game from 17-BIT,
♫ And this is their first independent game.
♫ Skulls of the Shogun 'tis turn based strategy,
♫ That was influenced by Advance wars.
♫ Help General Akamoto on his trip through the samurai afterlife,
♫ To regain respect and be honoured as the shogun of the dead.
♫ Play your game on any MS device (that you buy it on, probably) with a cloud save,
♫ And play cross- platform multiplayer one move at a time,
♫ Asynchronously.
♫ I would say it's coming in 2013,
♫ But 17-BIT/MS can't seem to stop tinkering.

Die Everywhere trailer || Expendables/story trailer || Cross-platform trailer

skullsbanneryhjas.jpg

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
Aye, looking forward to Skulls as well! Now to play the waiting game...

----

ANYWAY, Phantom Breaker Battlegrounds has 2 more lengthy Videos:

Battleground mode gameplay: Almost 4 minutes of VS gameplay. Can see some moves not show in the vids from a few weeks back, a lot of use of the games systems, and a serious "down to the wire" ending!

Co-Op Mode: 4 and a half minutes of Co-Op gameplay! LoL, they really beat the mess out of the enemies, very "normal player" like. DOes a good job at showing the kind of stage and enemey cariety one should expect in a stage runthrough.

Interesting to see them releasing so much lengthy gameplay, now. Should we expect this REALLY early in 2013, at this rate? Som sites reported it'd been pushed to a spring release, but I don't know where that particular info came from.

As a bonus note, I have to say, I LOVE how authentically NES-like the music sounds. They seem to be doing a fantastic job with it!

Vert boil

♫ On the fourth day before 2013 our Masters offer us,
♫ A GOTY.cx video game.

28th Dec, Daily Deal

Walking Dead - free
--Episode 2: Starved For Help - 200msp (was 400)
--Episode 3: Long Road Ahead - 200msp (was 400)
--Episode 4: Around Every Corner - 200msp (was 400)
--Episode 5: No Time Left - 200msp (was 400)

♫ In addition to that undead choice the Wizard brings to us,
♫
♫ Zeno Clash II is a game from ACE Team,
♫ The team that made Zeno Clash and Rock of Ages.
♫ Zeno Clash is a first person melee brawler,
♫ Set in the open world of Zenozoik.
♫ Explore the world by yourself,
♫ Or be joined by a friend in seemless drop-in drop-out co-op.
♫ And it is due early 2013.

Teaser trailer || Pre-Alpha E3 combat footage (cam)

zenobannerkzk2g.png

Loving these xbla previews, next year has a lot to offer. I think Skulls of the Shogun is very soon, last I saw I think it was supposed to be out this month.

Feindflug

Phantom Breaker Battlegrounds looks and sounds so good, can't wait! Zeno Clash II looks really interesting as well, I have the first game for almost 2 years now on my HDD and still haven't played it for more than half an hour...it's such a weird game.

Also 800points for the Season 1 of The Walking Dead is an amazing deal, get it people the game is great.

Judging from the latest (awesome) posts from canIhas 2013 is looking like a really good year for XBLA, thank god because the majority of the retail games in the first half of the year look really boring. :p

N4Us

Didn't see this mentioned but the Retro City Rampage official pages are announcing January 2nd as the XBLA release of the game.

CrunchinJelly

formerly cjelly
Yeah, just announced via their twitter 20 minutes ago...

http://twitter.com/RetroCR/status/284766210850168832/photo/1

I don't know why but I'd figured this would be out much later, happy days, looking forward to it.

Still $15 for a game that disappointed on its first outing...

I've never understood why there's a challenge pack 1 and 3, but not 2?

There is a 2, it just isn't on Xbox.

http://store.steampowered.com/app/35137/
Things that Go Boom - Challenge Pack 2
Four new explosive challenge maps featuring a variety of tense puzzles, deadly traps, and relentless combat encounters.

CrunchinJelly

formerly cjelly
Hmm. I wonder how these two things correlate.

The release of the game was a mess.

They took so long to implement online co-op they released DLC Pack 1 for free on XBLA for like 30 days.

They then did the same thing with PSN but gave them DLC Pack 2 for free for 30 days.

So I dunno if they accidentally initiated some bonus content/exclusivity contract clause with Sony or MS or something, or if it was just laziness. But it seems weird they couldn't just put DLC Pack 2 up on XBLA for the same price as PSN after the 30 day window.

Pachimari

Got The Walking Dead - Episode 1 for my 360 and it's amazing playing with my gf with my surround setup. Unfortunately I won't be able to buy anything on Xbox Live before 24-48 hours. So I'll miss out on the sales right?

BigMack

Got The Walking Dead - Episode 1 for my 360 and it's amazing playing with my gf with my surround setup. Unfortunately I won't be able to buy anything on Xbox Live before 24-48 hours. So I'll miss out on the sales right?

If you don't have access to your Xbox or Xbox.com, then yep, you will miss out, as the sale is only for today.

Pachimari

If you don't have access to your Xbox or Xbox.com, then yep, you will miss out, as the sale is only for today.
Well I have access to both but my account just got unblocked so I won't be able to buy anything for the next 2 days.

Is there anywhere I can buy Microsoft Points and get the code instantly for an European account?

Looking up online it looks like it occasionally blocks people from happening when information needs to be verified or possibly due to your bank's rules. Apparently contacting Microsoft support in chat or phone can usually clear it up within 24-hours. Try going through their contact page: http://support.xbox.com/en-US/contact-us?xr=footnav#0:0:5

As for XBLA Kinect games, I'd suggest Leedmees if any but my experience hasn't been all that broad across them and there's possibly something else that's good. I'll admit I prefer my Kinect to be used for voice stuff more than actual body control so that's more my focus with it.
Thank you for your help, greatly appreciated.

So no other XBLA Kinect games worthy of getting besides Leedmees?

Vert boil

♫ On the third day before 2013 our Masters offer us,
♫ A random assortment of random games.

29th Dec, Daily Deal

Crazy Taxi - 3oomsp (was 800)
The Splatters - 200msp (was 800)

Banjo-Kazooie: Nuts & Bolts - 800msp/10$ (was 1200/15$) US price, check your region

Cars 2 - 1600msp/20$ (was 2400/30$) US price, check your region

Crash Of The Titans - 800msp/10$ (was 1600/20$) US price, check your region

Toy Story 3 - 800msp/10$ (was 1600/20$) US price, check your region

♫ To make up for that choice a magical fairy brings to us,
♫
♫ Darkstalkers Resurrection is a game from Iron Galaxy,
♫ The team that handled the xbla port of SF III: 3rd Strike Online and Marvel vs. Capcpom Origins.
♫ Darkstalkers Ressurrection is a compilation of two fighting games,
♫ Darkstalkers 3 and Night Warriors: Darkstalkers' Revenge.
♫ The compilation will add GGPO multiplayer,
♫ And buff up those pixel with a HD filter if you don't have good taste.
♫ Remaining true to the arcade originals is the plan,
♫ And it is due around March-ish 2013.

Announcement trailer

darkstalkersbannere8ure.png

Surface of Me

I'm not an NPC. And neither are we.
In the mood for some Metal Slug, which is the better deal for the price, 3 for 800 points or XX for 1200 points? I have the XX port on my DS btw.

OnPoint

Picked up Backbreaker Vengeance for 600 points. Never gave the full football game a chance, but probably will now. The Euphoria physics are the best thing I have ever seen in a football game. Even if this version is just arcadey football obstacle courses, it's pretty damn fun even if you are not a big football fan... and gets tough.

BTW, tell me when has Madden ever made football look this awesome?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hehg9o3r3rs

I'm so glad someone else finally gave this a shot! So few people want to listen to reason, but the game is really good! I even made a LTTP thread and everything... no hits haha

BUY THIS GAME PEOPLE

CrunchinJelly

formerly cjelly

Vert boil

♫ On the second day before 2013 our Masters offer us,
♫ Some XBLA fighting games.

30th Dec, Daily Deal

Dungeon Fighter Live - 400msp (was 800)
Street Fighter III: 3rd Strike - 600msp (was 1200)
Virtua Fighter 5 Final Showdown - 600msp (was 1200)

Also,

Dungeon Defenders - 600msp (was 1200)
Mortal Kombat Arcade Kollection - 400msp (was 800)

♫ To make up for that uppercut a magical fairy brings to us,
♫
♫ BIT.TRIP presents Runner 2 is a game from Gaijin games,
♫ The creators of the BIT.TRIP series.
♫ Runner 2 is a rhythm platform game,
♫ Where you run, jump and slide to the beat.
♫ Help Commander Video and his pal cross the finish line,
♫ In a variety of different art styles.
♫ And it is due around March 2013.

PAX trailer || PAX interview/demo

runnerbannerg1jf7.png

How's the splatters? Only 200msp seems like a good deal even if it's just average.

I played for an hour or two and really don't see myself going back to it. I just didn't enjoy the time I spent with it. But for 200 points it's likely worth grabbing just to see if it's something you'll enjoy. Others on here sing its praises as it seems opinions are split about 50-50. You can always try the demo though I have no idea how it does at actually showing the game off. I bet it actually makes it more appealing because I enjoyed the earlier levels over the longer, more difficult ones and I'd assume the demo sticks to earlier stuff.

Top Bottom