• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

XBLA (Xbox Live Arcade) News, Announcements, Reviews, and Impressions Thread

Vert boil

Released today,

boxartlg.jpg

Retro City Rampage - 800msp, 43MB.

Also,

Doritos Crash Course
--City Lights - 160msp

Doritos Crash Course
--City Lights - 160msp

holy fuck. :eek:

brilliant. hope this means we might be getting a sequel at some point next year.

Winner of the Unlock Xbox competition and with over 3.5 million worldwide downloads, Doritos Crash Course returns with new level pack featuring 10 new courses filled with unique challenges and puzzles. Bounce above the glitz and glamour of Las Vegas and sprint through the historic sights of London to prove once more, who is the fastest in the world’s leaderboards. As well as new achievements for even more gamerscore, we also include new versions of the Japan levels so you get even more chance to unlock all the achievements. We’d like to thank you, the community, for helping make Doritos Crash Course into an XBLA phenomenon.

:eek:

Daigoro

people actually liked Doritos Crash Course enough to pay money for DLC?

ok, so which of these games are good/worth buying?

i havent played a hockey game in forever and i have been wanting to, but i probably wont get $40-60 worth out of a new NHL game, so for 200pts 3 on 3 is calling to me, but i dunno.

probably gonna pick up NBA Jam for sure. what about the football games?

S1kkZ

bought retro city, really liked the demo. looks like they made some improvements, i remember playing the ps3 demo and hating it (bad controls).

it also helps that the reduced the price from 15 to 10 bucks.

bought retro city, really liked the demo. looks like they made some improvements, i remember playing the ps3 demo and hating it (bad controls).

it also helps that the reduced the price from 15 to 10 bucks.

sounds good. I still don't want to buy blind though, so will try the demo for myself, but it's good to hear they've made improvements.

and the reduced price does help some. my only real problem is do I buy it now or wait until it's free on ps plus? decisions, decisions. does anyone know if they've patched the improvements into the ps3 / vita versions?

people actually liked Doritos Crash Course enough to pay money for DLC?

Crash Course is great. Tried the RCR demo but I'm unsure. Everything happened so quick and was so short I didn't really know what was happening half the time. Tempted to pick it up quick anyway in case the price is wrong because it may improve past the intro scenes. Hah.

No doubt it'll be 1200 by the time I make my mind up.

Well, Retro City is on sale on PSN (PS3/Vita) right now for US$ 10. The new price may become permanent. The game had bad reviews, so I still did not get it.

Gaspode_T

I got Retro City Rampage for free with PSN Plus and I was extremely underwhelmed, while the humor is at times cute and the graphics/sound definitely are made with good intention of scratching the nostalgia in late-20/early-30 crowd, the gameplay seems all over the place, at worst pretty much worse than most competent flash games, at best sometimes it feels like you are just going through some motions. Sometimes when you don't pay for something you are even harsher so I don't know, maybe I was going into it with the wrong attitude...but I didn't really expect the game to be like a string of parodies, I expected it to be more like ... a ... 8 bit Grand Theft Auto ... which it is not as far as I can tell.

wetflame

Pizza Dog
The constant game and movie references had become tiresome for me by the end of the demo. Lord only knows what the full game is like.
Nowhere near as packed/fast paced as the demo. That opening is insane with the amount of references it throws in in such a short time, when the game opens up and you start to play the other story missions it's a lot easier to follow. I can only imagine that first mission is designed to be an assault to your nostalgia senses.

zatara

any other lootfest games worth getting on xbla besides Torchlight? I can only play it for so long, I need me some loot.

Cool no Retro City Rampage on the Aussie store. I guess a indie developer needing money to survive doesn't want my money.

Cause i'm sure it's up to the indie developer. The indie developer that isn't allowed to self publish the game on XBLA and had to get a third party publisher (D3P) to even get on the platform at all.

saunderez

Cause i'm sure it's up to the indie developer. The indie developer that isn't allowed to self publish the game on XBLA and had to get a third party publisher (D3P) to even get on the platform at all.

Its the publishers fault for not getting the game rated in all countries. And the developers fault for not insisting on international release. Money left on the table. It's not just indie games either, Telltale couldn't be assed getting the 360 version of The Walking Dead rated in Australia. Most publishers have no issue with this and plenty of indie games have gone through the process. Which is fine, they don't want to go through the classification process it's up to them, but I'm not going out of my way to buy stuff they decided they didn't want to release in my country.

Noogy

I actually really enjoyed RCR (was a perfect Vita game). I'm not sure what the XBLA demo shows off, but if it's the first part of the game, yeah, it's a bit more chaotic than the rest of the experience.

Nothing amazing, but it scratched that GTA itch and I love the presentation. Fun world to explore as well.

CrunchinJelly

formerly cjelly
Cool no Retro City Rampage on the Aussie store. I guess a indie developer needing money to survive doesn't want my money.

Its the publishers fault for not getting the game rated in all countries. And the developers fault for not insisting on international release. Money left on the table. It's not just indie games either, Telltale couldn't be assed getting the 360 version of The Walking Dead rated in Australia. Most publishers have no issue with this and plenty of indie games have gone through the process. Which is fine, they don't want to go through the classification process it's up to them, but I'm not going out of my way to buy stuff they decided they didn't want to release in my country.

http://www.retrocityrampage.com/platforms.php

Only available on PC and PS®Vita in AUS/NZ

That's weird. Why get it rated for PC and PSV but nothing else?

Edit: Uhhh, fuck, meant to edit my previous post. Oh, well.

CrunchinJelly

formerly cjelly
Technically the PC and Vita versions aren't the same game, the dev made quite a few changes for the newly released 360 version and I'm guessing they didn't want to resubmit for classification.

Yeah, but it's not even on PS3 in AU or NZ. I can't see it on the Aussie classification site, either.

Bought the Crash Course DLC. The dev deserves some compensation for what turned out to be a surprisingly good game.

Also, exactly what changes were made for the XBLA version of RCR? I can't find info on this...

Slygmous

There have been too many XBLA releases skipping AUS lately :/
I hope this isn't a new trend. I really liked how digital titles were released worldwide instantly.

It's also Australia's fault for being the most ass backwards place on the planet when it comes to rating video games. Money left on the table is also money not thrown at the Australian certification board. Lots of publishers have issue with his and lots don't go through the process.

It is/will be available in Australia on Steam and Vita though, because those are exempt from being rated due to certain loopholes.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Crash Course DLC is okay. A little on the easy side, but some of the new level design elements are neat. Achievements are easy and none require actually playing the levels well. I mostly bought to show support for more Crash Course, hahaha. I do like the new level intro animations.

Galdelico

Nothing good on XBLA besides Torchlight. Go to PC if you want loot fests.
I enjoyed Crimson Alliance alot, but I'm talking about the whole experience and I passed by XBLA Torchlight, so I don't know how the two games compare loot-wise.

N4Us

Also, exactly what changes were made for the XBLA version of RCR? I can't find info on this...

The biggest change I've heard (I didn't play the original releases so I can't confirm a difference) is that there's supposedly more lenient checkpoints now.

Also I'm guessing some contextual goodies like the
Master Chief helmet in the hat place

Crash Course DLC is okay. A little on the easy side, but some of the new level design elements are neat. Achievements are easy and none require actually playing the levels well. I mostly bought to show support for more Crash Course, hahaha. I do like the new level intro animations.

yeah, I agree with this. I'm actually a little disappointed in the dlc but I'm putting that down to my unrealistic expectations for how good it would be. still, it's nice they haven't forgotten about the game and hopefully this sells enough to show there's a demand for more dlc or, more preferably, a fully fledged sequel.

S1kkZ

-better/more tutorials
-controls feel better
-more frequent checkpoints, which makes it much less frustrating
-if you fail a mission 7(?) times, you get something that makes it easier, if you fail even more after that, it just skips the mission.

-better/more tutorials
-controls feel better
-more frequent checkpoints, which makes it much less frustrating
-if you fail a mission 7(?) times, you get something that makes it easier, if you fail even more after that, it just skips the mission.

do you at least give the option to skip a mission or does it do it automatically?

Read what I linked.

I didn't see your post. thanks for the link. :)

sounds like he's struck a good balance, but as the patch has gone live for all versions I think I'll just wait it out until it's free on psn plus.

if I enjoy it enough there, I'll buy the live arcade version to show support.

Dungeon Defenders is way bad.

I enjoyed DeathSpank more than I enjoyed Torchlight, though, so that's worth a look. It's kind of similar to Torchlight but less relentlessly repetitive so it keeps you interested a lot more.

aku:jiki

I enjoyed DeathSpank more than I enjoyed Torchlight, though, so that's worth a look. It's kind of similar to Torchlight but less relentlessly repetitive so it keeps you interested a lot more.
This is the worst post you've ever written, TTK. You're trolling me, right?

I would never wish Deathspank on someone. What a terribly frustrating and not-fun game. Torchlight was a pretty fun, albeit repetitive, game. Though I played on PC so not sure if any changes came to the XBLA version.

Not saying DeathSpank is amazing or anything, I just enjoyed it more than Torchlight. With Torchlight you see basically everything that game has in about 20 minutes and it just cycles over and over and over. At least with DeathSpank there's some variety in the quests and some humour to break things up a bit.

Top Bottom