• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

XBLA (Xbox Live Arcade) News, Announcements, Reviews, and Impressions Thread

Daigoro

so we know people balk at the $20 price point for XBLA games. do they do the same for PSN games? im a relatively new PS3 owner, so i didnt go into a lot of those thread, but i dont remember a lot of talk about it.

there are a ton of $20 PSN games. Journey, Tokyo Jungle, Dead Nation etc. is it a big deal on that side of the fence as well? (edit: i just looked all of those up and they are $15 lol oops)

so we know people balk at the $20 price point for XBLA games. do they do the same for PSN games? im a relatively new PS3 owner, so i didnt go into a lot of those thread, but i dont remember a lot of talk about it.

there are a ton of $20 PSN games. Journey, Tokyo Jungle, Dead Nation etc. is it a big deal on that side of the fence as well? (edit: i just looked all of those up and they are $15 lol oops)
Just people thinking all titles released under the XBLA banner needs to be subject to the same demands and expectations. Probably why Arcade will go away on Nextbox, so as to give less resistance to a greater strata of game depth and range with everything going digital next-gen and many won't fit the typical Arcade expectations. Minecraft is the biggest-selling XBLA release and it's $20, a slight bit less than it costs to buy the computer version. State of Decay looks as rich an experience as $60 games do, with far more ambition than most of them. I'd say it will do fine if the game itself is. I think they know that this sort of experience is probably going to prove popular with TWD still riding high on the same concepts of a deeper zombie apocalypse simulator.

Vert boil

boxartlg.jpg

banner.png

Fireburst is finally coming.

Vids and screens of the pc version here - http://store.steampowered.com/app/207190/?snr=1_7_15__13

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
Also, anyone picked up Sanctum 2? The leaderboards are limited on my end. If anyone's picked it up they might be able to see the top leaderboards!

I purchased it last night. I'll give a look at the leaderboards for you!

29th is CastleStorm for 800pts, too.

Why does M.Nelson ALWAYS MISS SOMETHING? Castlestorm has been getting PlayXBLA blog post too, and it's forgotten off the list? It seems like there's always 1 game he fails to mention on these "coming soon" list... it's like a joke, now.

And it's always one of the more interesting ones, too..

It's basically the same audience of gamers. I've only owned a PS3 since September, but I actually hate how the PS3 audience seems to totally ignore many downloadable releases, when it comes to the online vocal community. No GameFAQ post, no post in the GAF PSN thread... Smaller games of decent quality seem to get no conversation whatsoever.

So if XBLA, the community of "complain about every price higher than 5 or 10 dollars" at least gives less popular releases some convo time, I imagine $20 games on PSN do worse than on XBLA, simply because of the fact that they don't even get a smidge of attention.

And as far as the vocal side goes, normally, the complaints of prices on PSN are met with more "I'll wait till the PLUS discount!" or "Well, that'll bomb, I'll get it if it's ever free on Plus!" commentary.

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
Also, anyone picked up Sanctum 2? The leaderboards are limited on my end. If anyone's picked it up they might be able to see the top leaderboards!

Ok, so the leaderboards are only based on the Survival mode. Not the Campaign mode. And from what I see, going by stage 1, they only list the top 100 players, and how many waves those players have completed.

So it seems like a wash for sales data... sorry!

Decent DoTW this week...

D3 21-May to 27-May
Bangai-O HD: Missile Fury 400 (50% off)
Jeremy McGrath 400 (50% off)
Karateka 400 (50% off)
Mad Tracks 400 (50% off)
Matt Hazard: Blood Bath and Beyond 400 (50% off)
Pid 400 (50% off)
Puzzle Quest 2 400 (50% off)
Puzzle Quest: Challenge of the Warlords 400 (50% off)
Puzzle Quest: Galactrix 600 (50% off)
RocketBowl 200 (50% off)
Texas Cheat’em 400 (50% off)

Will be picking up Pid and Bangai O.

daninthemix

I want Bangai O. Shame I'm not a Gold member.

Does anyone foresee a permanent price drop for Radiant Silvergun? 1200 seems steep, and Guardian Heroes dropped (also from Treasure).

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
I want Bangai O. Shame I'm not a Gold member.

Does anyone foresee a permanent price drop for Radiant Silvergun? 1200 seems steep, and Guardian Heroes dropped (also from Treasure).

Radiant Silvergun was published by Microsoft on XBLA (Unlike Guardian Heroes, which was published by Sega).

Guardian Heroes is probably reduced due to Sega's input on the game, and not so much Tresure's or Microsofts. So I wouldn't expect a permanent drop... Ikaruga is still full price, and has been out longer.

I'm still waiting for my 800 Rewards Points.

It'll come with the 2nd payout of points from the Rewards program, for the month. They pay out twice a month (once around the 15th, another around the last day2 of the month), and the Punchcard Rewards verified on Rewards accounts AFTER the first payout.

So we'll all be waiting until that 2nd payout! Make sure you do any month surveys so you can get a 20 point bump to the 800 as well. I happened to have a year of live I bought over a year ago on sale verify too, so that's an extra 200 atop that...

It would have been really nice if they'd have got this to work for everyone before the middle of the month, but at least having it show up in the rewards account page now lets everyone have a timeframe of when it'll appear.

Jhoan

Ghost Recon Future Soldier stuff is going to be on sale next week. However, what really interests me since I've been dying for it go on sale is Dark Souls: Artorias of The Abyss. My prayers have been answered; I'm definitely gonna check it out as soon as it's up. That's finally going to give me a reason to dust off my copy of Dark Souls and finally get around to finishing my first play through.

Major Nelson also listed an Alan Wake sale where it's 83% off Alan Wake stuff starting tomorrow. I hope this means that The Writer DLC is going to be on sale as it's the only DLC I don't have. Also American Nightmare, but that's because I want to beat the DLC's before I check it out.

As for this week's stuff, the only thing that catches my attention is Bangai-O: Missile Fury and I suppose Puzzle Quest 2 to a far lesser extent. I'll think about either game.

drbond

Neo Member
However, what really interests me since I've been dying for it go on sale is Dark Souls: Artorias of The Abyss

I wonder how much they plan to reduce the price for the Games on Demand version of Dark Souls. Its at $19.99 now. $9.99 for US sale price next sale? Hmmm.

Also that upcoming sale price for Darkstalkers Resurrection (800pts) looks good enough to finally bite at. Wonder if they got the PS3 version on sale also for their sale planned.

Daigoro

is Dark Souls dlc confirmed to be going on sale, or just hopeful?

on a different subject, the upcoming World Series of Poker game is supposed to be releasing this "spring" according to news scroll on the Full House Poker game. so that should be coming soon.

drbond

Neo Member
Radiant Silvergun was published by Microsoft on XBLA (Unlike Guardian Heroes, which was published by Sega).

Guardian Heroes is probably reduced due to Sega's input on the game, and not so much Tresure's or Microsofts. So I wouldn't expect a permanent drop... Ikaruga is still full price, and has been out longer.

I should have jumped on the sale for SHMUPS they had a while back for Gold members (2 years ago?). Missed out on the sale price for Radiant Silvergun AND Guwange. Sigh. I was able to buy Ikaruga, as well as Trouble Witches Neo. I can't remember if Bangai-o was part of that same sale.

I would hope they would do genre themed sales more often (that don't cover one game...ala Battlefield sale etc). Speaking of which....I'm also hoping they do another one of those Games on Demand sale extravaganzas. The last one was madness.

aku:jiki

Decent DoTW this week...
Oh, damn! Guess I'm getting Bangai-O, Matt Hazard, Pid, Galactrix and RocketBowl. Still haven't touched any of the Kinect games from last week's sale...

Looking forward to Bangai-O, been waiting on a sale for that one. Kinda meh on the others, but a collection is a collection.

And they were probably hoping the more casual crowd would find out about Guardian Heroes, while shmups have always been considered a "premium" (i.e. expensive) genre for a very niche market.

Will definitely be trying Karateka this week after Stump raved about it before.
I can't get no respect. :(

BTW, I've been playing Zombie Driver and when I started it I remember your posts about the game's economy and now that I've almost beaten it, I have to wonder what the hell you were doing with your money?! I have two maxed-out cars and all weapon upgrades, and I've got 800k just sitting in the bank.

Vert boil

I'll update throughout the day.

DOTW

Bangai-O HD: Missile Fury - 400msp (was 800)
Jeremy McGrath's Offroad - 400msp (was 800)
Karateka - 400msp (was 800)
Mad Tracks - 400msp (was 800)
Matt Hazard: Blood Bath and Beyond - 400msp (was 800)
Pid - 400msp (was 800)
Puzzle Quest 1: Challenge of the Warlords - 400msp (was 800)
Puzzle Quest 2 - 600msp (was 800) (originally listed at 400 but they raised it to 600)
Puzzle Quest: Galactrix - 600msp (was 1200)
RocketBowl - 200msp (was 400)
Texas Cheat’em - 400msp (was 800)

-----

Mini Ninja Adventure - 320msp (was 800)
Sonic Adventure 2 - 400msp (was 800) Only reduced in the UK, Ultimate Collection thingie.

Brink
--Agents of Change - 400msp (was 800)

-----

Disney Sale

Cars 2 - 1200msp/15$ (was 2400/30$) US price, check your region
--Road Hazards bundle - 80msp (was 240)
--Tall Tales Pack - 120msp (was 240)

Disney Universe - 1200msp/15$ (was 2400/30$) US price, check your region
--Phineas and Ferb Level Pack - 240msp (was 400)
--Villains Costume pack - 80msp (was 240)

Epic Mickey 2: The Power of Two - 1600msp/20$ (was 3200/40$) US price, check your region

Pure - 800msp/10$ (was 1200/15$) US price, check your region

Split/Second - 800msp/10$ (was 1600/20$) US price, check your region
--Deadline pack - 160msp (was 400)
--Survival at the Rock pack - 240msp (was 560)

Toy Story 3 - 800msp/10$ (was 1600/20$) US price, check your region

Tron Evolution - 1200msp/15$ (was 2400/30$) US price, check your region
--Multiplayer map pack - 240msp (was 400)

-----

Alan Wake sale

Alan Wake's American Nightmare - 320msp (was 1200)

Alan Wake - 400msp/5$ (was 2400/30$) US price, check your region
--The Signal - 280msp (was 560)
--The Writer - 280msp (was 560)

Some tat as well.

----------

Released today,

banner.png

Capcom Arcade Cabinet
--All in One pack - 2000msp

If you haven't already, you need to buy the base game, 1943, Avengers and Black Tiger (400msp) as well as the Complete pack.
The two bonus games for buying all of the games are 1943 Kai and Vulgus.

Dollar Dash
--More Ways to Win - 240msp

Skullgirls
--Cerebella Extra Color Palettes - 80msp
--Character Palette Bundle - 400msp
--Double Extra Color Palettes - 80msp
--Filia Extra Color Palettes - 80msp
--Ms. Fortune Extra Color Palettes - 80msp
--Painwheel Extra Color Palettes - 80msp
--Parasoul Extra Color Palettes - 80msp
--Peacock Extra Color Palettes - 80msp
--Valentine Extra Color Palettes - 80msp

wetflame

Pizza Dog
DAT ALAN WAKE DLC. I've not started American Nightmare yet despite having bought it when it was on sale the time before last as I've not played the DLC, now's my chance to catch up!

Edit: Just realised after someone mentioned it in the Xbox reveal thread that this could be ahead of an Alan Wake 2 announcement, hence the price drops on both the DLC and AN. Would be awesome if true!

Montresor

Soooo is Doritos Crash Course 2 any good? I tried to play it but the moment I saw the unlock options for the worlds (stars or real money) I couldn't bring myself to even start the game. I hate free-to-play with micro-transactions. I'd much rather pay 1200 points for a decent sequel to a great platformer than have a free game likely designed to require intense grinding.... Grinding that can only be avoided by buying your progression instead of earning it.

aku:jiki

Soooo is Doritos Crash Course 2 any good? I tried to play it but the moment I saw the unlock options for the worlds (stars or real money) I couldn't bring myself to even start the game. I hate free-to-play with micro-transactions. I'd much rather pay 1200 points for a decent sequel to a great platformer than have a free game likely designed to require intense grinding.... Grinding that can only be avoided by buying your progression instead of earning it.
It's a good sequel and you can easily get by without buying anything, but the game is near unplayable right now due to insane server issues. (That are still unresolved over 2 weeks after release, yeah.)

Montresor

It's a good sequel and you can easily get by without buying anything, but the game is near unplayable right now due to insane server issues. (That are still unresolved over 2 weeks after release, yeah.)

Ouch. Well I guess I'll wait for the servers to get resolved, but thanks for the comments about the game. Makes me feel a little better about starting it.

I heard those server issues are screwing people out of achievements too. I can wait.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man

One tip when you are playing it: Master each level before playing the next, don't use your in-game currency to unlock anything except levels.

If you do it this way the most tedious form of grinding can be avoided.

Jhoan

Holy sweet Jesus! Alan's Wake's American Nightmare is a steal at 320MSP! I wasn't expecting to go that low in price. Instantly bought it without thinking twice about it.

I also checked out The Writer DLC because 280MSP is too hard of deal to pass up on. Now I'm really going to pop in Alan Wake again and give both DLC's a run before jumping into AW.

I think people should definitely check out Toy Story 3 if only because of Toy Box mode. Otherwise, I think it's a pretty damn good licensed movie game as well; the story levels remind me of Chibi Robo. Also the original Alan Wake which is a steal at 5 bucks despite repetitive game play.

I'm still on the fence about Bangai-O. I kinda liked the demo since it was more a puzzle-like shooter than an actual shoot em up but I'm feeling lukewarm about it.

Played Karateka after aku:jiki's sterling recommendation which I always totally remember about.

Will probably buy it, the art is lovely and Disney. I was pretty confused about the timing for blocks, though, it feels kind of like a rhythm game with no rhythm :/

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Played Karateka after aku:jiki's sterling recommendation which I always totally remember about.

Will probably buy it, the art is lovely and Disney. I was pretty confused about the timing for blocks, though, it feels kind of like a rhythm game with no rhythm :/

The timing becomes clearer when you've had a few runs of the game. Most default enemies have audio cues for how many times they're going to attack--although some are hard to hear and require close attention. Some enemies and bosses don't have audio cues, but the type of attacks they choose are telegraphed and the sequences are generally repeats of regular enemy sequences, so if you've got a sense for those you should be OK with the boss stuff.

Slygmous

Bought Alan Wake at $5, hope it's good. I doubt I'll have time to see if I like it before the sale is over (can't leave Dragon's Dogma alone) but certainly considering American Nightmare as well.

Hope we see a lot more deep sales as we wind this generation down.

Vert boil

Scourge: Outbreak will be out July 3rd for 800msp.

Teaser trailer

----------

So the Summer of Arcade game should be announced before the MS presser at E3 in a few weeks (June 11th).

2008: July 30th - August 27th
2009: July 22nd - August 19th
2010: July 21st - August 18th
2011: July 20th - August 17th
2012: July 18th - August 15th

Previous games.

If things are the same as previous years the starting Wednesdays would be 17th, 24th or 31st of July.

Rough dates for upcoming game can be seen here - https://sites.google.com/site/xblareleaseschedule/home

Charlie Murder
LocoCycle (playable at E3 and they'll be making announcements)
Max: The Curse of Brotherhood
Super TIME Force

??
Cloudberry Kingdom
Castle of Illusion Starring Mickey Mouse
Crimson Dragon
Doodle Jump (crappy kinect slot)
DuckTales Remastered
Harold

Free ones that could be tacked on,

Ascend: Hand of Kul
World Series of Poker: Full House Pro

Scourge: Outbreak will be out July 3rd for 800msp.

Teaser trailer

----------

So the Summer of Arcade game should be announced before the MS presser at E3 in a few weeks (June 11th).

2008: July 30th - August 27th
2009: July 22nd - August 19th
2010: July 21st - August 18th
2011: July 20th - August 17th
2012: July 18th - August 15th

Previous games.

If things are the same as previous years the starting Wednesdays would be 17th, 24th or 31st of July.

Rough dates for upcoming game can be seen here - https://sites.google.com/site/xblareleaseschedule/home

Charlie Murder
LocoCycle (playable at E3 and they'll be making announcements)
Max: The Curse of Brotherhood
Super TIME Force

??
Cloudberry Kingdom
Castle of Illusion Starring Mickey Mouse
Crimson Dragon
Doodle Jump (crappy kinect slot)
DuckTales Remastered
Harold

Free ones that could be tacked on,

Ascend: Hand of Kul
World Series of Poker: Full House Pro

Castle of Illusion and DuckTales Remastered can`t/won`t be part of Summer of Arcade because they are not Xbox360 exclusives (the games should be at least time exclusives to be part of the promotion).

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
As someone who owns a lot of XBLA titles and is obviously a pretty big fan of the platform, I don't see any reason to buy any XBLA new releases at this point. Even Microsoft Studios published titles typically eventually get a PC port, and now that no BC is confirmed, it feels like a pretty bad, short-term only investment. I mean, if something is on ultra clearance or it's an older title that definitely isn't getting a PC port, I'll still pick it up--I picked up Rocket Bowl yesterday--but, like, LocoCycle is in the Steam registry. DuckTales, Capcom is playing coy about whether or not there is a PC release. Even the stuff I already own I'm mentally sorting into two groups: Stuff I think I'll want to replay a few years from now, so I should rebuy on PC versus Stuff that I'm never going to touch again so I'll let it die here.

Yeah, yeah, negative nancy, enjoy the games while you can, no need to go next-gen as soon as it comes out, etc. I just feel a little bummed.

Edit: Looks like I own 52 XBLA titles that don't have any future-proof ports.

As someone who owns a lot of XBLA titles and is obviously a pretty big fan of the platform, I don't see any reason to buy any XBLA new releases at this point. Even Microsoft Studios published titles typically eventually get a PC port, and now that no BC is confirmed, it feels like a pretty bad, short-term only investment. I mean, if something is on ultra clearance or it's an older title that definitely isn't getting a PC port, I'll still pick it up--I picked up Rocket Bowl yesterday--but, like, LocoCycle is in the Steam registry. DuckTales, Capcom is playing coy about whether or not there is a PC release. Even the stuff I already own I'm mentally sorting into two groups: Stuff I think I'll want to replay a few years from now, so I should rebuy on PC versus Stuff that I'm never going to touch again so I'll let it die here.

Yeah, yeah, negative nancy, enjoy the games while you can, no need to go next-gen as soon as it comes out, etc. I just feel a little bummed.

I plan to keep using my 360 for another good year yet as I have a backlog of xbla and retail games to finish up, but I agree why would I buy a new release when it can wait for me to buy it at a lower price now, especially when I can only play them on my 360.

Not having BC has killed the xbox one for me more then anything else, it's a shame.

JDdelphin

I plan to keep using my 360 for another good year yet as I have a backlog of xbla and retail games to finish up, but I agree why would I buy a new release when it can wait for me to buy it at a lower price now, especially when I can only play them on my 360.

Not having BC has killed the xbox one for me more then anything else, it's a shame.

Same here. If you really want to be 'revolutionary' about consoles, do that.

mujun

Maybe I'm weird. I don't really care, I finish a game off (I don't leave stuff sitting around on my hard drive for long periods, either, I get right to any stuff I buy) and delete it. I've gone back to a handful of the 70+ games I've bought and never for long at that.

You definitely have a point, though.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Maybe I'm weird. I don't really care, I finish a game off (I don't leave stuff sitting around on my hard drive for long periods, either, I get right to any stuff I buy) and delete it. I've gone back to a handful of the 70+ games I've bought and never for long at that.

You definitely have a point, though.

Some games aren't really play-beat-and-move-on stuff though. I mean, Geometry Wars, for example. You don't "beat it". I think most people would typically buy it, play it a bunch, progressively play it less, and then occasionally rediscover it every once in a while. And if you play it, say, an hour a month for two or three years, the playtime really racks up. Or, like, Bomberman, or Worms, or Pac-Man, or Tetris. So with stuff like that, giving it a kind of "end of life" date is kind of a bummer... and definitely it makes no sense to buy anything like that late in the generation because you'll never be able to rack up that long tail. Maybe you don't like those kinds of games or maybe you play them but go for achievement completion and once you've got those you sort of move on, both of which are fine.

I guess it's sort of a pack-rat mentality on my part to say "What if I want to go back to this a few years from now" when for most games I won't. Although I am replaying Roogoo right now, so obviously I do for some of them.

There was this crummy indie bundle on PC this week that had a bunch of garbage I didn't want, but it also had Karateka and was Pay What You Want, minimum $1. So I went ahead and bought it. I like Karateka. I'm not sure I'll play it a few years from now, but maybe I will, and I'm now pretty confident that my 360 won't be hooked up at that point and I won't be able to play the game unless I rebuy it. $1 is probably about as cheap as it'll get.

I'm mostly just venting here.

UraMallas

Speak. I've decided not to buy anything else at all on the system and am moving purchases away from consoles and onto PC.

Top Bottom