• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

XBLA (Xbox Live Arcade) News, Announcements, Reviews, and Impressions Thread

sangreal

http://cah-smartglass.azurewebsites.net/

MS cards against humanity smartglass demo. If there is a smartglass activity, I would imagine there is a game to go with it. Anyways, to get past the first screen open console and execute: Microsoft.Xbox.XbcWrapper.backboneController.enableDebug(); Enter anything and then click "wait."

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Eeeh, I wouldn't say huge.
I wouldn't just spent the money on something dumb anyway.
After playing the game a bit, I kinda see what everyone is talking about when it comes to Comic Jumper. The concept and themes of the game and 'Twisted Pixel' in general are totally rad to the max.. but dang if the game doesn't feel... not so fun as how it SHOULD feel.

Upgrade your damage as fast as you can. My second playthrough of the game was more enjoyable than my first because I had fully upgraded.

JDdelphin

Upgrade your damage as fast as you can. My second playthrough of the game was more enjoyable than my first because I had fully upgraded.

Great to know! Thanks!

Stuff like that is important sometimes- it reminds me of when I first got Double Dragon Neon and was like-

"WOW WTF WHY IS THIS SO HARD I HAVE TO GRIND TO LEVEL UP ENOUGH TO GET PAST THE FIRST LEVEL. CHOOOOORE. UUUUGHH."

Then I played the game 2P and it was-

....oh. This mode is what the game was designed for. Mah Bad.

Now I can savor the sweet, sweet waves of nostalgic kitsch wash over me while I have FUN.

Duallusion

Forgot about the tower defense trailer for The Incredible Adventures of Van Helsing. Not sure if the TD bit of the game is new info but I only remember it as an ARPG.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_0Swqnl8b6k

Oh wow, that look great! ARPG + tower defence sounds like a match made in heaven to me. It somewhat worries me there's no XBLA logo on their site or at the end of that video. Why would they do that unless it's coming later then PC version or not at all?:/

Vert boil

Oh wow, that look great! ARPG + tower defence sounds like a match made in heaven to me. It somewhat worries me there's no XBLA logo on their site or at the end of that video. Why would they do that unless it's coming later then PC version or not at all?:/

Guess they've just redone the site to focus on the current beta and initial pc release. You can still find mention of xbla in old posts there. As for the trailer, it's fairly normal for there to be system specific ones. This one just focuses on the pc release.

It won't be coming out next week with the pc version, just checked their twitter and a few weeks ago they replied saying,

geezer said:
its not coming out next month on xbla is it :(
@vanhelsinggame said:
You're right, but don't worry. The game will come out on XBLA later this year:)
https://twitter.com/VanHelsingGame/status/328896827338399745

Vert boil

Released today,

boxartlg.jpg

Hunter's Trophy 2: America - 800msp, 1.63GB.

Also (missed this on wednesday),

Who Wants To Be A Millionaire? Special Editions
--Who Wants To Be A Millenium Millionaire? - 240msp

-----

Sanctum 2 update,

http://www.facebook.com/SanctumGame/posts/548077238569144

To our Xbox fans in Europe:

As many of you have noticed, Sanctum 2 is not available for Xbox Live in Europe yet. The game IS coming and coming VERY soon. We are very eager for you to play the game, and please know that we are working day and night to resolve this. You guys are very important to us and we will provide an update as soon as possible.

Slygmous

I got the Punchcard 800 points deposited into my account today - it's pending though :(

When it goes through, I'm thinking either Poker Night 2 or (out of left field) Neo Geo Battle Colesium.

I am sadden by the lack of news for state of decay.
http://undeadlabs.com/2013/05/news/out-of-our-hands/
Today, we announced to our community that State of Decay has gone into the final certification process. That means that we’re…done. It’s out of our hands, and that much closer to being in yours. There are still things to do, of course, and if our publisher finds a problem we’ll fix it, but basically, this is the last big step between development and launch. Once we finish this, we’ll be ready to talk about release dates. We are proud. We are excited.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Any good long platformers on Xbla? Very close to buying the sonic games.

Sonic isn't very long.

Besides that, though, I think most people would recommend some combination of 'Splosion Man, Shuggy, Banjo Kazooie, Braid, Castlevania: SOTN*, Cloning Clyde, Crash Course, The Maw, Mega Man 9*, Outland*, Raskulls, Shadow Complex*, Sour Patch Kids, Super Meat Boy--to that I'd add that I enjoyed Deadlight and War of the Worlds. None of the aforementioned games are all that long.

* action-platformers

Any good long platformers on Xbla? Very close to buying the sonic games.

It took me over a year to beat all the Super Meat Boy levels. It is tough as nails. It's my favorite platformer of the generation after Mario Galaxy 2.
Some people don't seem to like it though so try the demo first

Alx

I got the Punchcard 800 points deposited into my account today - it's pending though :(

So did I... I also received two codes from xbox rewards, one was for the free month of XBL, but I don't know what the second one gave me. :/
edit : oh wait, it's in my download queue, it's an avatar item. Looks like a couch. Yay, I guess.
edit2 : it's an animated item actually... it makes your avatar sit in the couch and play with a gamepad, then he throws away the pad and plays with a sword and shield that appear in place of it, then he catches a football (handegg), then shoots around with a toy gun, and finally crashes on the couch again.

aku:jiki

I picked up Hunter's Trophy and it's...amusingly bad. Surprising, I know! I'm gonna be pissed if they force me to actually beat the skeet shooting challenges though, that shit was impossible.

Oh and there's an achievement for killing your hunting dog, so this game is gonna be popular when people find out.

I picked up Hunter's Trophy and it's...amusingly bad. Surprising, I know! I'm gonna be pissed if they force me to actually beat the skeet shooting challenges though, that shit was impossible.

Oh and there's an achievement for killing your hunting dog, so this game is gonna be popular when people find out.

I wish they would make a game more like the Big Buck Hunter. Just take the programing for the arcade game and sell it on Xbox.

Slayven

http://screencrush.com/state-of-decay-tmnt-release-dates-leaked-by-gamestop/

Though the publishers haven’t revealed the official release dates for digital titles like State of Decay, TMNT: Out of the Shadows, and DuckTales Remastered, that didn’t stop Gamestop from leaking that info.

A tipster sent in a screenshot of Gamestop’s computer system showing the release schedule for Xbox Live Arcade digital downloads to IGN. Gamestop offers them for sale in store, and provides a code to purchasers who don’t want to put credit card info into Microsoft’s system.

State of Decay will release on June 5th, which lines up with the previous June release window we heard from Undead Labs. Supposedly the open-world zombie action game will retail for $20 (1600MSP). TMNT: Out of the Shadows will also release next month. You should be able to get the game on the June 26th for $15 (1200MSP). Capcom’s Dungeons & Dragons: Chronicles of Mystara is also expected to drop that week according to Gamestop. The side-scrolling brawler will be out on June 25th for $15 (1200MSP).

DuckTales Remastered, also from Capcom, won’t be out until August 1st, but considering that’s a Thursday, we’re chalking this up to a placeholder date for now. It’s not untypical of Gamestop to issue a vague release date on the first of a given month. As most XBLA games release on Tuesday or Wednesday, this Thursday date is a little out of the norm. When DuckTales does arrive though, it too will retail for $15 (1200MSP).

As some of these releases are before E3, we should learn more about the potential release dates in the next week or so. As for the games coming out post-E3, those will likely have true finalized dates uncovered during the week-long convention.

State of Decay will release on June 5th, which lines up with the previous June release window we heard from Undead Labs. Supposedly the open-world zombie action game will retail for $20 (1600MSP)

That's sure to put some people off.

Still, June 5th? WOOO!

More like most unless its Minecraft worthy.

I think it looks as good, but its appeal is somewhat limited so you are right in that most people probably won't be too happy with the price and might forego the game until it's on sale.

I hope that doesn't happen, it looks great and is attempting some really interesting stuff that not many games bother attempting.

CrunchinJelly

formerly cjelly
This is the problem with the 'Xbox Live Arcade' brand - people think they aren't 'proper games' and are not willing to pay proper prices.

Next gen when MS ditches the Arcade branding and everything is just a 'game' ala Steam then I'm sure we'll see folks lose this mindset.

Nyx

Bought Skulls of the Shogun yesterday, lovely game and pretty hard on normal already. (or it's just me)

Damn those monks!

This is the problem with the 'Xbox Live Arcade' brand - people think they aren't 'proper games' and are not willing to pay proper prices.

Next gen when MS ditches the Arcade branding and everything is just a 'game' ala Steam then I'm sure we'll see folks lose this mindset.

Agreed.

It's a shame if SoD suffers because of this, but not entirely unexpected. Hopefully MS will advertise the hell out of it and give it a fighting chance.

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist

That's not the problem at all. 6 million people bought Minecraft at $20 even though it had the branding. Most XBLA games just don't have that kind of mainstream appeal. But that doesn't have to be a dealbreaker if the development budgets are adjusted accordingly.

aku:jiki

That's not the problem at all. 6 million people bought Minecraft at $20 even though it had the branding. Most XBLA games just don't have that kind of mainstream appeal. But that doesn't have to be a dealbreaker if the development budgets are adjusted accordingly.
No, he's right. Most people view XBLA games as lesser games. The phrase "pretty good...for an arcade game" is incredibly common on the XBLA game forums, pretty much every game gets a thread like "I always ignore XBLA games but this one's actually good, I'm shocked!"

1600MSP is a suicide note for SoD. Minecraft sold like it did because it's Minecraft.

Slygmous

i'll by SoD at that price. no sweat.

$15 for D&D has me pausing though. might wait for a sale on that one. we'll see.

Totally opposite for me, D&D is a proven property and I'll buy it on release. I know it'll be on sale for half that price if I could wait 4-6 months though.

SoD, as much as it looks awesome, I don't think I can justify that price. Even 1200 would've been pushing it.

(this is not an attack on the quality of the game, btw, I have no idea what it's like)

Daigoro

Totally opposite for me, D&D is a proven property and I'll buy it on release. I know it'll be on sale for half that price if I could wait 4-6 months though.

SoD, as much as it looks awesome, I don't think I can justify that price. Even 1200 would've been pushing it.

(this is not an attack on the quality of the game, btw, I have no idea what it's like)

actually. good point. i will check out the demo for SoD first if course. it wont be a blind buy. if i like it i have no problem paying $20 for it.

but i have played D&D in the arcade and used to own the SS version of the game. a port of a bet em up maybe an instant buy at $10, but at $15, ill check out the demo and see if im really in the mood to spend $15 on it. i can see a big fan of the game having no problem paying that price though.

we'll see how they both turn out.

image.php

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man

Personally I'm only willing to spend $20 on 2-3 games a year and I buy about 150-200 games a year. And thanks to my enormous backlog, I have all the power when it comes to companies raising prices. There are always more games to play than time to play them.

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
No, he's right. Most people view XBLA games as lesser games. The phrase "pretty good...for an arcade game" is incredibly common on the XBLA game forums, pretty much every game gets a thread like "I always ignore XBLA games but this one's actually good, I'm shocked!"

1600MSP is a suicide note for SoD. Minecraft sold like it did because it's Minecraft.
They typically don't have the same production values of a retail game, or any marketing. My point is that the XBLA branding itself isn't an automatic death sentence. If the game is appealing to a large portion of the 360 audience then it will still do well on XBLA. If it doesn't then it won't. Doesn't matter how MS decides to brand the storefront its on.

So the big question with SoD is whether the content justifies the price, and people will vote on that with their wallets. Sometimes the results are surprising. There was talk that even Minecraft would flop at $20.

TWENTY DOLLARS for Minecraft? Good luck with that.

Grisby

Started playing comic jumper thanks to Wario's deal a few weeks ago. Man, the presentation is ace.

Game feels sluggish though and I gotta agree with JD. I'll take Stumps advice too and upgrade my weapons first.

Started playing comic jumper thanks to Wario's deal a few weeks ago. Man, the presentation is ace.

Game feels sluggish though and I gotta agree with JD. I'll take Stumps advice too and upgrade my weapons first.

Yeah I remember having to grind on the early stuff to make the game fun because you start out too weak.

derFeef

If enemies would go down with 1 hit it would be a much better game.

Rlan

Wait, they're releasing multiple Hunters Trophy games via XBLA? The heck?

Also, anyone picked up Sanctum 2? The leaderboards are limited on my end. If anyone's picked it up they might be able to see the top leaderboards!

Rlan

Guaranteed?

yup
CastleStorm Coming May 29 on Xbox LIVE® Arcade

Because Building and Destroying Castles is So Much Fun

Super genre mashup CastleStorm will release on Xbox LIVE® Arcade on May 29th, 2013 for 800 MSP.

Built on the fond childhood memory of building and destroying Lego castles, CastleStorm mixes things up with 2D physics destruction mashed with tower defense brawler and comical story, allowing players to control their offences and defenses in real time over a 12 level single player campaign, and multiple co-op and multiplayer modes.

Link to the release date announcement trailer!

CastleStorm also features a dynamic castle editor allowing players to construct their own castles which can be used during gameplay, including multiplayer battles!

For more information on CastleStorm, please visit the Zen Studios Press Center.

Top Bottom