• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

XBLA (Xbox Live Arcade) News, Announcements, Reviews, and Impressions Thread

Dance Inferno

Unconfirmed Member
Doesn't Rayman Legends come with basically a remaster of Rayman Origins? I've never played Origins but I guess it might be worth waiting for Legends to get the ultimate version of the game?

Lima

Doesn't Rayman Legends come with basically a remaster of Rayman Origins? I've never played Origins but I guess it might be worth waiting for Legends to get the ultimate version of the game?

It comes with a best of selection of levels from Origins. Not with all the levels and Origins is definitely worth it. I played Origins on 360, PS3, Vita and 3DS all to 100%. I love this game to death.

Jhoan

Another crappy DoTW to pass on. If the Marvel games were $5 cheaper, I would've bit on a few games.

Already have and beat Rayman: Origins . It's worth it for the wonderful OST alone. Platforming is pretty damn good too. It's absolutely one of this gen's best OST's. It's definitely worth it for $10.

Another crappy DoTW to pass on. If the Marvel games were $5 cheaper, I would've bit on a few games. .

Wolverine's definitely worth it at the sale price, one of the best licensed games I've played. Web of Shadows, Amazing and Destiny could do with being much cheaper though.

Lima

I was surprised how much better it was than the Origins movie (I know you can't exactly compare the two) but it was definitely one of the better licensed games I played.

Vert boil

boxartlg.jpg

banner.png

Jhoan

Wolverine's definitely worth it at the sale price, one of the best licensed games I've played. Web of Shadows, Amazing and Destiny could do with being much cheaper though.
For sure. I played the demo and enjoyed it. Pouncing on enemies felt pretty satisfying. The only thing I heard that's incredibly frustrating is keeping track of all the collectibles since the game doesn't tell you how much you have.

I seem to recall reading an article by Dan Hsu in which he interviewed the devs and asked them if they'll ever patch a collectible ticker but they said they had no plans. Not that it matters since I don't care much about collectibles in most games these days.

JudgeB

Banned
That Magrunner game actually looks pretty good from the screenshots...at least gaphics wise. Is that some platforming I see?

JudgeB

Banned
Has anyone ever seen this page? http://www.xbox.com/en-US/e3/e3-xbox-360-games

There is like 6 games there I haven't heard of until now:

Magrunner
YAIBA
Obscure
How To Survive
Hot Wheels World's Best Driver
Band Fuse Rock Legends

YAIBA, How To Survive, Magrunner look interesting, at least from their short blurbs.

edit: Okay, ya, I guess a lot of these were obviously covered at E3, but they were new to me :p.

FUME5

I thought x-men destiny used the UE3 engine also.

Copied from a Eurogamer article: According to page 41 of the case court document, spotted by NeoGAF user Xenon, Silicon Knights has until 10th December 2012 to destroy any software it built with Unreal Engine 3, including the code for Too Human, The Box/Ritualyst, The Sandman, X-Men: Destiny and Siren in the Maelstrom.

so: web of shadows or dimensions?
already bought wolverine but i'm looking for a spiderman game.

Web of Shadows if you're after a sandbox Spidey game, Dimensions if you're after a linear Spidey game.

I enjoyed Web of Shadows a lot more as it has a lot more replay value with it's good/bad options, but Dimensions was pretty fun too...

Montresor

Released today,

[IG]http://download.xbox.com/content/images/66acd000-77fe-1000-9115-d802584112a5/1033/boxartlg.jpg[/IMG]

Brothers: A Tale of Two Sons - 1200msp, 662MB.

:0 This game looks great.

"Guide two brothers on an epic fairy tale journey from visionary Swedish film director, Josef Fares and top-tier developer Starbreeze Studios. Control both brothers at once as you experience co-op play in single player mode, like never before. Solve puzzles, explore the varied locations and fight boss battles, controlling one brother with each thumb stick. This is one journey you will never forget."

pacman85

Thought TMNT was suppose to release today?
Nope

Brothers: a Tale of two Sons launches August 7th for 1,200 Points

Charlie Murder launches August 14th for 800 Points

Flashback launches August 21st for 800 Points

Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles: Out of the Shadows launches August 28th for 1,200 Points

I hope TMNT is good.

Also, Charlie Murder get my attention for $10. Hopefully there is plenty of music to keep it fresh. The PvP and RPG element s are interesting, I wish they would elaborate.

Slayven

Nope

Brothers: a Tale of two Sons launches August 7th for 1,200 Points

Charlie Murder launches August 14th for 800 Points

Flashback launches August 21st for 800 Points

Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles: Out of the Shadows launches August 28th for 1,200 Points

Sent to die

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
The demo for Brothers was excellent. No text whatsoever, no English VA (just gibberish mid-european), no on-screen tutorials after the first 2 seconds, core idea comes through immediately and works well. The puzzles presented in the demo, while simple, show that the premise will pay dividends. It's got a lovely sort of european old fairytale feel to it. Really great experience.

I'm still deciding whether or not to buy it on XBLA or Steam (since, you know, no BC). I've got about $100 in MS cred but not sure if I actually want to buy anything that I know I'll end up having to rebuy later on another platform. But when the purchase prompt popped up, I definitely felt really good about it being worth the asking price.

aku:jiki

Not sure if it's a perm or they just forgot about it on tuesday but,

Special Forces: Team X - 400msp (was 800)
Absolutely do not buy! It's a busted, broken mess that's just barely playable and Zombie Studios are being complete assholes about the 360 version. PC version has been patched and receives responses on Twitter and whatnot but the 360 one was completely abandoned on day 1 and Zombie blames Ubisoft and Ubi blames Zombie. Just the worst kind of publishing situation that should not be supported with anyone's money.

derFeef

The demo for Brothers was excellent. No text whatsoever, no English VA (just gibberish mid-european), no on-screen tutorials after the first 2 seconds, core idea comes through immediately and works well. The puzzles presented in the demo, while simple, show that the premise will pay dividends. It's got a lovely sort of european old fairytale feel to it. Really great experience.

I'm still deciding whether or not to buy it on XBLA or Steam (since, you know, no BC). I've got about $100 in MS cred but not sure if I actually want to buy anything that I know I'll end up having to rebuy later on another platform. But when the purchase prompt popped up, I definitely felt really good about it being worth the asking price.
Same exact boat. But since we have a date for the PC version, I can wait a month for sure. It certainly was very tempting to straight out buy it on XBLA though.

Absolutely do not buy! It's a busted, broken mess that's just barely playable and Zombie Studios are being complete assholes about the 360 version. PC version has been patched and receives responses on Twitter and whatnot but the 360 one was completely abandoned on day 1 and Zombie blames Ubisoft and Ubi blames Zombie. Just the worst kind of publishing situation that should not be supported with anyone's money.

Agreed, that game was broken from day one!

Terra

So...I have around 4000 MS points that have been on my account for a while. I have not been using my box for a while, but just decided to fire it up.

What's the news for XBLA? Will it be shut down in the near future? Should I use my points?
It's just too many games out there...I have no idea where to start off.

Is The Raven an arcade title? The boxart suggests that it's a retail game no?

Looks awesome.

It's tough to say depending on how they release it. I tried to find an answer for you and in learning more about the game currently only one of the three episodes has been released and it's sold as a season pass for $25 ($30 for Deluxe Edition) and that gets you the remaining episodes as they release. So unless they do something similar on Xbox Live they're either just selling the first part by itself as The Raven on Xbox 360, at which point it shouldn't cost $25 for the single part or the other two parts aren't far behind and it'll come out together on Xbox Live.

Suffice it to say I honestly don't know after poking through a bunch of sites including many of their own.

Also, reviews are all over the place. Saw Gamespot gave it a 5.0, IGN a 9.0, and Joystiq 4/5. And while one review called it a fast Adventure game another mentioned how slow the game is. Suppose that's just different expectations. It was compared favorably to classic mystery stories, though, so that's fairly impressive and actually got me rather interested.

Edit: And sort of beaten. I'm still unclear with it being XBLA how they're releasing it. If they release each part as a separate $10 download that's close to the PC pricing and could be a good way to get the different parts? Whatever.

So...I have around 4000 MS points that have been on my account for a while. I have not been using my box for a while, but just decided to fire it up.

What's the news for XBLA? Will it be shut down in the near future? Should I use my points?
It's just too many games out there...I have no idea where to start off.

Points will be converted to real money which will then have an expiration date of a year from the conversion, I believe. XBLA will no longer be distinguished differently on the Xbox One and everything will just be put up together, retail titles along with smaller releases. Also, none of them are backwards compatible which is why some people are hesitant to buy many Live Arcade titles now as they seem them only being playable for the next few months. If you're a day one Xbox One buyer consider that. If you intend to hold onto your 360 and have it plugged in for quite some time it's much less of an issue.

Terra

Points will be converted to real money which will then have an expiration date of a year from the conversion, I believe. XBLA will no longer be distinguished differently on the Xbox One and everything will just be put up together, retail titles along with smaller releases. Also, none of them are backwards compatible which is why some people are hesitant to buy many Live Arcade titles now as they seem them only being playable for the next few months. If you're a day one Xbox One buyer consider that. If you intend to hold onto your 360 and have it plugged in for quite some time it's much less of an issue.

Thanks!

As I said, I have no idea where to start. Do you (or anyone else) know if there are any good Metroidvania games or Open World games on XBLA. Is 'I am alive' any good?

Lima

I Am Alive is okay. Not a great game but I had fun with it. It is not open world either. It is actually pretty linear with chapter progression and some open areas for you to explore.

Buy Dust: An Elysian Tail for a start.

Top Bottom