• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

XBLA (Xbox Live Arcade) News, Announcements, Reviews, and Impressions Thread

GlamFM

Banned
Completely forgot that the summer of arcade was going on!

All four games look fantastic - will get them all.

Terra

I Am Alive is okay. Not a great game but I had fun with it. It is not open world either. It is actually pretty linear with chapter progression and some open areas for you to explore.

Buy Dust: An Elysian Tail for a start.

I will think twice about IAA then. But I'll make a go for Dust!

I Am Alive is okay. Not a great game but I had fun with it. It is not open world either. It is actually pretty linear with chapter progression and some open areas for you to explore.

Buy Dust: An Elysian Tail for a start.

Dust: An Elysian Tail is a fantastic game but if you want something more true to Metroidvania go with Shadow Complex if you never grabbed that when it hit years ago. As awesome as I think Dust is and love to support Noogy here on GAF I have to say that Shadow Complex is still one of my favorites on the service. Oh, and of course there's Symphony of the Night if you never managed to play that up until now in any of its incarnations.

For open world currently State of Decay is the new favorite. I haven't put a lot of time into it but it seems pretty well made and I'm fairly certain they've been good on patching it so they've balanced and fixed bugs multiple times already. Reviews have been quite positive.

Those are off the top of my head. I could look up more if you'd like.

Oh, and grab the demo for Mark of the Ninja. Again, I haven't put in adequate time but that's another that everyone loved immediately and the bit I played was great and I really should return to it.

Terra

Got me Dust & State of Decay as said. Will probably take up my 360 gaming again. I need to take on Tales of Vesperia and Downpour as well...

Dance Inferno

Unconfirmed Member
Speaking of points, I'm currently sitting on 5250 MSP thanks to the Microsoft Store kerfuffle with the Xbox One reveal. I spent quite a bit of it during the sale a few weeks ago (got a bunch of Borderlands 2 DLC, Dishonored DLC, and Perfect Dark Zero), but I still need to figure out what I'm spending the rest on.

I think Brothers is more or less going to be a purchase at some point, although considering its length I'm wondering if I should just wait until it goes on sale to pick it up. I also am interested in The Raven from those screenshots, but I have no idea what kind of game it is so I'll withhold judgment.

My main issue is I tend to buy games and then never play them. I never finished Mark of the Ninja (I'm in the desert zone currently), and ilomilo I play for a few minutes every now and then. I think I also have Worms 2 Armageddon and Splosion Man from a few years back which I never bothered to finish.

Having said that, I never played Shadow Complex, so maybe that's worth a look.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Speaking of points, I'm currently sitting on 5250 MSP thanks to the Microsoft Store kerfuffle with the Xbox One reveal. I spent quite a bit of it during the sale a few weeks ago (got a bunch of Borderlands 2 DLC, Dishonored DLC, and Perfect Dark Zero), but I still need to figure out what I'm spending the rest on.

I think Brothers is more or less going to be a purchase at some point, although considering its length I'm wondering if I should just wait until it goes on sale to pick it up. I also am interested in The Raven from those screenshots, but I have no idea what kind of game it is so I'll withhold judgment.

the raven is an old-school PnC and is $20 on PC so keep that in mind

Arkanius

I really want to buy Brother, but 1200 points is that price that basically forces me to buy 2000 points.
What can I get for 800? I was thinking of picking Flashback later on, since I loved the original to death, but I was wondering if there are any hidden hits that I might have missed (Last Arcade game I bought was Fez on day one.)

The demo for Brothers was excellent. No text whatsoever, no English VA (just gibberish mid-european), no on-screen tutorials after the first 2 seconds, core idea comes through immediately and works well. The puzzles presented in the demo, while simple, show that the premise will pay dividends. It's got a lovely sort of european old fairytale feel to it. Really great experience.

I'm still deciding whether or not to buy it on XBLA or Steam (since, you know, no BC). I've got about $100 in MS cred but not sure if I actually want to buy anything that I know I'll end up having to rebuy later on another platform. But when the purchase prompt popped up, I definitely felt really good about it being worth the asking price.

Just about to give in and buy it myself.

I think it's probably a decent shout to just get it on XBLA if you have the points. It seems like a one-time-only kind of game, and it's short, so you'd get your enjoyment out of it quickly and be able to move on without really feeling the need to replay it or have constant access to it. Exactly the kind of thing to buy on XBLA at this point if you're looking at getting rid of points.

Vert boil

Does someone know why Major Nelson does not post the "Coming soon..." on his blog anymore?

He's done this before, during holiday/promotion periods he sometimes doesn't keep up the fortnightly posts. I'm presuming it just that again, we'll see once September rolls around.

Krilekk

Banned
I want to like Brothers because of its charming art style but I think the controls are clunky at best. There is absolutely nothing that couldn't have been done better with just a standard character selection and maybe a stay/follow command. The whole dual stick controls for two characters is just pointless and annoying. It's a shame really. How exactly is it supposed to work on PC? WASD + directional keys?

I want to like Brothers because of its charming art style but I think the controls are clunky at best. There is absolutely nothing that couldn't have been done better with just a standard character selection and maybe a stay/follow command. The whole dual stick controls for two characters is just pointless and annoying. It's a shame really. How exactly is it supposed to work on PC? WASD + directional keys?

Without spoiling much let me assure you, there is a very good reason for the way the controls are mapped.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
...the same way it does on console?

right, but if someone doesn't have a controller?

On consoles the controls are stick + LT, stick + RT and there are parts where you should be pressing all four of those things at once. It's a very unusual feeling actually.

WASD + ARROWS would work, but then what buttons are easily in reach? wasd plus mouse plus left click plus right click would work, but then i think it'd be confusing because your left hand would be left-movement while your right hand would be right-movement, left-action, and right-action so the sort of brain hemisphere thing the game is trying to tickle wouldn't work. What's the default bind on PC?

Vert boil

Updating at the moment. Double check prices before buying. I'll update throughout the day.

DOTW

Deus Ex: Human Resources - 1200msp/15$ (was 2000/25$) US price, check your region

El Shaddai - 400msp/5$ (was 1600/20$) US price, check your region

Hitman HD pack (Contracts and #2) - 1200msp/15$ (was 2000/25$) US price, check your region

Hitman: Blood Money - 800msp/10$ (was 1600/20$) US price, check your region

Just Cause 2 - 1200msp/15$ (was 2000/25$) US price, check your region

-----

Bioshock Infinite - 3200msp/40$ (was 4800/60$) US price, check your region

Crackdown 2 - 1600msp/20$ (was 2400/30$) US price, check your region (Expires on thursday)

Rocksmith
--Breaking the Law by Judas Priest - 160msp (was 240)
--Living After Midnight by Judas Priest - 160msp (was 240)
--Message in a Bottle by The Police - 160msp (was 240)
--Painkiller by Judas Priest - 160msp (was 240)
--Roxanne by The Police - 160msp (was 240)
--Synchronicity II by The Police - 160msp (was 240)

Your Shape Fitness Evolved 2012
--Back in Shape Lose It & Keep It Off! - 236msp (was 640)

----------
Games with gold bits, (these expire on thursday. Dead Rising 2 and Case Zero are next.)

Crackdown - free (was 1200msp/15$)

Shadowrun - free (was 20€/1900¥) Japanese or German gold account needed

Lima

Will check out the Charlie Murder demo tomorrow. Flashback is a definite buy for me next week. Might also buy Silent Hill Downpour depending on its price and of course the Halo pack.

Edit: Ah new Dishonored content today? Fuck yeah!

Oh man, El Shaddai...

I loved the demo, is the rest of the game the same?

In a sense, yes (or at least the first third of the full game which is where I stopped), except more spread (or dragged, depending on view) out. Why you loved the demo is important to consider, because what I've played of the full game completely fails to utilize its promise. Specifically, the game is largely a series of fairly repetitive combat rooms and poorly implemented 3D platforming held in front of visually interesting backgrounds and a hand-fed story. The main disappointment would be that I expected a sort of Okami-esque visual experience where the game environment used a novel style to enhance the storytelling, whereas El Shaddai completely separated the style from the environment (and thus, the story and experience were also separated from the game).

Jhoan

Decent deals but I already have all those games on sale. El Shaddai and Blood Money are pretty well priced. Personally, I got bored of the former about 1/3 into it and stopped playing it but it's pretty too look at and Lucifer is pretty charming since he's always speaking to the player.

I didn't know the latest Dishonored DLC comes out today. Might check it out. Too bad my home internet's down. Will definitely check out ZoE: HD Collection. I suppose GoD sales lately have been good.

FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUCK!

El Shaddai isn't available on the UK marketplace. What the fuck, MS? What the fuck. Bought Blood Money for £6, hard to resist at that price, but really bummed that ES isn't available here.

Next weeks DoTW looks ace.

Metal Gear Solid 2&3 50% off
Zone of the Enders HD 50% off
Otomedius Excellent 50% off
Silent Hill Downpour 50% off
SAW 50% off
Neverdead 50% off
Rumble Roses XX 33% off

That's what I'm interested in. Looks like next week is going to be very expensive.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
I got El Shaddai for $3 and TBH the game is a drag, and never really evolves from a gameplay perspective. It's worth it for the art as you go through it as there's some really beautiful stuff but that's really it.

Lima

FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUCK!

El Shaddai isn't available on the UK marketplace. What the fuck, MS? What the fuck. Bought Blood Money for £6, hard to resist at that price, but really bummed that ES isn't available here.

El Shaddai isn't available as GoD in all of Europe I think. Kinda weird.

Yeah, it's very weird and bloody annoying too.

Guess I'll have to go back to looking for a decent physical copy. I actually had it on pre-order before release but decided to cancel and pick it up when it hit the bargain bins only to completely forget about it...

I'm personally really stoked for Flashback. I played the crap out of that on SNES. Never beat it, but I loved it. And with the original team doing the remake/remastered it's going to be simply amazing. I just hope it's successful and they remake/remaster Another World as well. I'm really surprised it's not getting as much hype as Duck Tails and Castle of Illusion. I think Flashback is a way better game than both the others combined. Just my opinion.

Yeah, it's been on sale for a pittance in the US before and I was kinda annoyed then that I couldn't get it cheap. To be honest, though, having played the demo I think it's probably a lucky escape. I'd have bought it because cheap but the demo was pretty horrible, tired combat and some of the worst 3D platforming since platforming moved into 3D.

Nowt for me this week or next, I haven't checked but I assume there's not a bloody chance that OG is out in Europe on GoD.

Alx

Next weeks DoTW looks ace.

That's what I'm interested in. Looks like next week is going to be very expensive.

How is ZOE HD on 360 ? I read that the PS3 version had issues, and was later fixed with a patch, but I don't know about the Xbox version. I would guess it's not as good, what with the game being natively on a Playstation console, and Konami being more dedicated to PS3...

Nowt for me this week or next, I haven't checked but I assume there's not a bloody chance that OG is out in Europe on GoD.

Looks like Otomedius isn't on the UK marketplace either. Goddamn bullshit

How is ZOE HD on 360 ? I read that the PS3 version had issues, and was later fixed with a patch, but I don't know about the Xbox version. I would guess it's not as good, what with the game being natively on a Playstation console, and Konami being more dedicated to PS3...

I haven't read about any issues and a quick google search doesn't reveal any complaints about the 360 version. I'll buy it and hope for the best, it's been on to buy list for some time and I doubt it'll be cheaper than £12 anywhere....

Been playing Mark of the Ninja all summer between sessions of "bigger" games. It's so, so good. I'm nearly to the end and can't wait to dig into NG+. This DLC comes at the perfect time for me.

I hope there's a sequel at some point.

FUME5

I haven't read about any issues and a quick google search doesn't reveal any complaints about the 360 version. I'll buy it and hope for the best, it's been on to buy list for some time and I doubt it'll be cheaper than £12 anywhere....

I've got the 360 version of ZoE HD - runs just fine.

aku:jiki

I'm personally really stoked for Flashback. I played the crap out of that on SNES. Never beat it, but I loved it. And with the original team doing the remake/remastered it's going to be simply amazing. I just hope it's successful and they remake/remaster Another World as well. I'm really surprised it's not getting as much hype as Duck Tails and Castle of Illusion. I think Flashback is a way better game than both the others combined. Just my opinion.
It's not by the original team, it's by the developers of the worst game on XBLA with one or two original members hired on for good PR. I hope it turns out good as much as you do but you'd do well to walk in with very lowered expectations.

Check out the demo for Amy in the meantime and you'll see why Flashback doesn't have any hype. Abomination of a fucking game.

What's up with that and Deathsmiles IIX being US only anyway? Shmups have always done better in EU than US and every other publisher seems to know it.

Top Bottom