• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

XBLA (Xbox Live Arcade) News, Announcements, Reviews, and Impressions Thread

D

Deleted member 13876

Unconfirmed Member
What the hell...Guilty Gear is not on the European marketplace. Not another Persona 4 Arena Arc, god dammit.

Vert boil

What the hell...Guilty Gear is not on the European marketplace. Not another Persona 4 Arena Arc, god dammit.

You need to be more specific. It's up in the UK, France and Germany (probably a few others as well). Swedish and Netherlands links go to an error. No idea if that's just a temporary problem.

D

Deleted member 13876

Unconfirmed Member
You need to be more specific. It's up in the UK, France and Germany (probably a few others as well). Swedish and Netherlands links go to an error. No idea if that's just a temporary problem.

Belgium. Do you have a link to the UK marketplace? Maybe I can buy it from there. Currently downloading a US trial but I won't be able to buy. I've been waiting so long for this and the Xbox 1 emulated 360 version worked on US consoles but not on EU ones so I was fearing a similar scenario. I'm getting a this offer is not available in your country error if I try the US marketplace download link.

Vert boil

Belgium. Do you have a link to the UK marketplace? Maybe I can buy it from there. Currently downloading a US trial but I won't be able to buy. I've been waiting so long for this and the Xbox 1 emulated 360 version worked on US consoles but not on EU ones so I was fearing a similar scenario.

UK: http://marketplace.xbox.com/en-GB/Product/GGXXACP/66acd000-77fe-1000-9115-d802584111dd
FR: http://marketplace.xbox.com/fr-fr/Product/GGXXACP/66acd000-77fe-1000-9115-d802584111dd
DE: http://marketplace.xbox.com/de-de/Product/GGXXACP/66acd000-77fe-1000-9115-d802584111dd

The Belgium link leads to an error as well.

D

Deleted member 13876

Unconfirmed Member
Sigh, get the offer not available for each of those. Apparently Canadians can't download it either at the moment.

Kandrick

GAF's Ed McMahon
Yeah, same thing here in Switzerland. Game doesn't even have a page, yet i remember seeing the page for the game on the US marketplace like a week ago.

D

Deleted member 13876

Unconfirmed Member
Yeah, same thing here in Switzerland. Game doesn't even have a page, yet i remember seeing the page for the game on the US marketplace like a week ago.

Yeah, no page on the Belgian site either.

Rocket Knight really needs to go on sale at some point, it's like the only XBLA title to never get any kind of price change, ever.

PJX

Rocket Knight really needs to go on sale at some point, it's like the only XBLA title to never get any kind of price change, ever.

R.Type Dimensions and Raystorm HD has never been on sale. Those are the only two games I'm waiting to go on sale because I don't feel they are worth the 1200 MS points.

jgkspsx

Geon seems miserable. I mean, it feels like living room multiplayer could be very fun, but against the CPU it's very boring.

I was surprised to see Ikaruga available to buy, since I was sure I had bought it before. I tried to buy it just to make sure, and it would have let me, it seemed. But I indeed had purchased it. Good to see Sales & Specials + is still broken. Sigh.

GRIPSHIFT GRIPSHIFT GRIPSHIFT. OK, it might not be as fun or as impressive as the PSP one was at the time (and I liked the more cartoony original graphics), but man is it still fun. There are 6000 stars in the game, though? Isn't that... 2000 levels? No chance of me ever getting them all. Sigh.

jon bones

hot hot hanuman-on-man action
got a spare 1600 layin around... any good xbla releases coming out soon?

Hey everyone I just got a new 360 and have been out of the Xbox World for about 2 years now but I'm back onboard now, and I was looking for some MUST have recommendations for the Xbox live arcade titles.

mark of the ninja, spelunky... mark of the ninja

aku:jiki

Just finished Serious Sam 3 and the DLC... Main game was pretty good throughout most of it; it gets obnoxious at times with stupid fetch quests and some highly irritating enemies but it's pretty fun when non-annoying enemies come at you in hordes. Fairly enjoyable game overall, with some really hectic and fun firefights, especially on serious difficulty.

That DLC, though... It's an even bigger ripoff than we assumed! It's three shitty levels that have had their length inflated by endless fucking fetch quests (first level is a tiny island where you have to find like seven statues and put them on pedestals) and the "new stuff" they promised is incredibly weak. I never even found the axe, which is just a skin for the sledgehammer anyway, the "new boss" is just a giant version of a regular enemy and the other two "new weapons" are the hidden weapons from the main campaign! Very weak and 1200MSP for it is a HUGE ripoff. The versus isn't worth it either since not a damn soul is on there.

Pid's out next week and looks good but could go either way

good news, I've been looking forward to this since it was announced. let's hope it's not delayed at the last minute like alien spidy and pool nation.

is pool nation still on track for a release next week?

Just finished Serious Sam 3 and the DLC... Main game was pretty good throughout most of it; it gets obnoxious at times with stupid fetch quests and some highly irritating enemies but it's pretty fun when non-annoying enemies come at you in hordes. Fairly enjoyable game overall, with some really hectic and fun firefights, especially on serious difficulty.

That DLC, though... It's an even bigger ripoff than we assumed! It's three shitty levels that have had their length inflated by endless fucking fetch quests (first level is a tiny island where you have to find like seven statues and put them on pedestals) and the "new stuff" they promised is incredibly weak. I never even found the axe, which is just a skin for the sledgehammer anyway, the "new boss" is just a giant version of a regular enemy and the other two "new weapons" are the hidden weapons from the main campaign! Very weak and 1200MSP for it is a HUGE ripoff. The versus isn't worth it either since not a damn soul is on there.

thank to you and others who post their impressions. I bought naughty bear after reading your impressions and really enjoyed it. so please keep up the good work everyone, it makes choosing what to download and buy a lot easier.

Rlan

Yay! I can finally talk about this!

So at Halfbrick we've released both Fruit Ninja and Jetpack Joyride for Windows 8! Fruit Ninja is $4.99, while Jetpack Joyride is FREE!

Our W8 team did the brunt of the work, but I helped design some of the extra Windows menus needed in the games, as well as the Snap View stuff!

I'm really happy that we went above and beyond for Windows 8 Snap view support. It was a bunch of fun to design and make! And we went way further than most developers, who use it as a "go into full screen mode to continue playing" sort of way. We've released a new video of it in action here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fF3reaeu9-Q&feature=plcp

Please check out both games, and would love any feedback!

CrunchinJelly

formerly cjelly

So at Halfbrick we've released both Fruit Ninja and Jetpack Joyride for Windows 8! Fruit Ninja is $4.99, while Jetpack Joyride is FREE!

Our W8 team did the brunt of the work, but I helped design some of the extra Windows menus needed in the games, as well as the Snap View stuff!

I'm really happy that we went above and beyond for Windows 8 Snap view support. It was a bunch of fun to design and make! And we went way further than most developers, who use it as a "go into full screen mode to continue playing" sort of way. We've released a new video of it in action here:

What has this got to do with XBLA? :-/

Kafel

Banned

Is there a marketplace online for W8 like marketplace.xbox.com ? I don't want to install anything on the PC I'm on.

Vert boil

Released today,

boxartlg.jpg

Home Run Stars - 800msp, 187MB.

Mdk7

Fuck me, i keep entering this thread (like at least once a day) hoping for some news related to the release of Crimson Dragon, and everytime the disappointment... hurts. :(

Congratulations. I have been playing both games for a few days already.

Great work in Fruit Ninja. But I have a question:
- US$5 is a price determinated by Halfbrick or is it a tie imposed by Microsoft (i.e. there are some price levels allowed)? Because I think 5 bucks is a little too much compared with the same game on other plataforms.

And despite of that FN upgraded for free for users in the preview/RTM build.... (I could not even buy it, the only option was play/update)

Rlan

So something called "SKI RACE" popped up on Xbox.com

boxartlg.jpg

Jump into a fantastic new way to enjoy your favourite sports! Fast-track the fun in solo or multiplayer, tackle micro goals and win badges in the all-new mission structure, grin for the camera and stamp your pics on the high score wall. So much to experience – at a fraction of the cost of real-life lessons!

screenlg1.jpg

screenlg2.jpg

screenlg3.jpg

screenlg4.jpg

screenlg5.jpg

So it looks like they're ripping apart Rare's Kinect Sports and making each even a downloadable affair.

On that note, when this thread started we had milkybar1983 post a website that was scraping xbox.com box arts, including things we hadn't seen yet. It's been taken down now, but is anyone able to do something like that again? Would be very interesting to see that stuff.

Gaspode_T

Wouldn't surprise me to hear that it is using screens of a Windows 8 version :p

Jetpack Joyride and Fruit Ninja are both ace on W8, as are a bunch of other games, but some of them seem to have high prices (Toy Soldiers is $9.99) so I would love to see impressions as the # of games starts to ramp up...thus I am kind of a sad panda no one has started a Windows 8 XBL Games official thread

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Jetpack Joyride and Fruit Ninja are both ace on W8, as are a bunch of other games, but some of them seem to have high prices (Toy Soldiers is $9.99) so I would love to see impressions as the # of games starts to ramp up...thus I am kind of a sad panda no one has started a Windows 8 XBL Games official thread

Personally I think it reflects that the launch titles seem to be going for a mobile gaming type audience; the WP7 gaming thread here is a non-entity and Android gaming is rarely discussed, even iOS is kind of a fortress mentality and doesn't get good representation elsewhere.

Plus we still don't know anything about the service--when will XBL games come out? What will the pricepoints be? What does MS consider "launch window" for that first party list they put out a few months ago?--Are they going to launch a web marketplace? etc.

You should really play the rest of Adera, it's probably my biggest positive surprise from the launch lineup, although I also played the hell out of Jetpack Joyride and Fruit Ninja (200/200 on both)

One thing I find annoying about Windows Store games is there's seemingly no way to create desktop shortcuts to them. I managed to brute force my way into the WindowsApps folder that they have locked off from users by default, but trying to launch anything like the Jetpack Joyride exe file through the desktop interface will just pop up an error that says it needs to be opened in an app wrapper or something.

Also that I can't choose to move this folder, cause I'd rather it be on my D: drive where all my other games are.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
One thing I find annoying about Windows Store games is there's seemingly no way to create desktop shortcuts to them. I managed to brute force my way into the WindowsApps folder that they have locked off from users by default, but trying to launch anything like the Jetpack Joyride exe file through the desktop interface will just pop up an error that says it needs to be opened in an app wrapper or something.

Also that I can't choose to move this folder, cause I'd rather it be on my D: drive where all my other games are.

Start8.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Does that let you create shortcuts though? I don't actually care about using the start menu. Mostly I'd want the ability to create shortcuts so I could add Win8 games to my Steam library.

Ah, yeah, I didn't check. When you right-click you can get a "Send to -> Desktop (shortcut)" but the actual shortcut it makes is non-functional, so I guess it only adds Metro apps to the start menu, not anywhere else.

Vert boil

On that note, when this thread started we had milkybar1983 post a website that was scraping xbox.com box arts, including things we hadn't seen yet. It's been taken down now, but is anyone able to do something like that again? Would be very interesting to see that stuff.

<3 to milkybar if he's been rumbled.

The website wasn't automatically scraping, just a bunch of static links. I mirrored it here if anyone wants a look.

Purely guessing here, but I expect you'd need PartnerNet access and have a setup to log all of the url requests being sent from the console. They'd probably ban IP's pretty fast if you just brute force it.

I'm thinking about biting at the W8 upgrade download for $40 to start grabbing achievements and such. The achievement whore side of my brain is saying "Hey, you've (probably) spent that much on crappy DLC to 100% some of your games, at least you're getting a whole new OS with this," or something along those lines.

Of course, it's not JUST for the achievements, but it's funny to think about like that (and think that people ARE doing it JUST for that).

Is there any chance that there could be an XBLA version of Jetpack Joyride could be in the works? Specifically with the headphones add-on? :)

Gaspode_T

The joy of unlocking achievements for a game you already played before is watered down by the fact you have to pay for it a second time...I am a huge Pinball FX2 fan but the cost of the tables is really turning me off on that one in particular.

I have bought: 4 Elements II, Fruit Ninja, 1 table for Pinball FX2 (Epic Quest, one of my faves), Angry Birds Space, $9.99 $4.99 $2.99 $4.99 respectively. Rest I got for free, Wordament, Jetpack Joyride, all the MSFT games like Adera and Mahjong...I am pretty satisfied for the meantime. The 700T I am using has a bigger screen than the iPad so from that perspective the games look pretty much like I am holding a laptop screen in my hands or something.

Have Rocket Riot on XBLA so I am waiting to hear if W8 version has anything worth buying it again (it is a fun game). Thinking about the Reckless Gateway game...

Someone needs to talk twitter.com/lifelower into tracking Windows 8 XBL games...

Do Windows 8 games work with Windows 8 Phones, or is that a completely different thing that will have no compatibility at all?

Completely different things.

We may see ports from/to W8 to/from WP8 in the future, but there will be no cross-capability at the moment and MS will force you to pay again for the same game.

Gaspode_T

I wish I knew more about WP8 plans but they are keeping it pretty well under wraps, who knows what is going on there in terms of future gaming plans...

I can only say from game perspective since at least 30% to 40% of iOS games are written in Unity (and maybe a higher ratio for certain segments) we will see a LOT more games released for WP8. How many of them will have XBL and how will indie devs get XBL if they are good enough to deserve it are the two topics I have no idea about but dying to know myself ...

Top Bottom