• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

XBLA (Xbox Live Arcade) News, Announcements, Reviews, and Impressions Thread

Gowans

So anyone planning a Windows 8 Store gaming thread? I hav a tonne of questions but don't want to totally derail the thread.

Vert boil

DOTW

Bioshock 1 - 800msp/10$ (was 1600/20$) US price, check your region

Bioshock 2 - 800msp/10$ (was 1600/20$) US price, check your region
--Minerva’s Den - 400msp (was 800)
--Rapture Metro - 400msp (was 800)
--Sinclair Solutions Tester Pack - 200msp (was 400)
--The Protector Trials - 200msp (was 400)

-----

Leedmees - 400msp (was 800)

Shocktober Discounts - link

Alan Wake's American Nightmare - 600msp (was 1200)
Ugly Americans: Apocalypsegeddon - 400msp (was 800)

Dead Rising 2 - 1200msp/15$ (was 2400/30$) US price, check your region

Resident Evil 4 - 800msp/10$ (was 1600/20$) US price, check your region

There should be a second week of Shocktober deals.

Xbox live rewards program: Spend 2000msp on horror bits in October and get 300msp back.

-----
Sale & Specials+ app

Geon - 400msp (was 800)
Gripshift - 400msp (was 800)
Ikaruga - 400msp (was 800)

Chain reaction: Lara Croft: GoL
Lara Doll - 120msp (was 240) > A Hazardous Reunion - 200msp (was 400) > Raziel & Kain Character Pack - 160msp (was 400) > All the Trappings - 120msp (was 400)

I can't recommend minerva' den enough. if you haven't already played it, there's no excuse not to buy it at half price.

as for the shocktober sales, really hoping to see I am alive and scarygirl for half price. I like the demos for both, but don't really feel they are worth full price. I know that sounds awful, but 1200 points for I am alive is too much when much better games are available at for the same number of points.

a disappointing halloween sale. I'll get resident evl 4 for 800 points though, glad I waited before buying that one. I wonder why code veronica hasn't been reduced.

So anyone planning a Windows 8 Store gaming thread? I hav a tonne of questions but don't want to totally derail the thread.

I will contribute but I fear I do not have enought time to make the official thread.

By the way, lots of updates yesterday. In the gaming side, Wordament got one, that fixed my issues with achievements (yeah!) and also Fruit Ninja was updated with Live status, although when you enter the game it tries to connect to Live and failures. Clicking on the "connect to Live" button also failures. Another update should be released soon.

But its price.... There is still only one option in the store, "Install" but Fruit Ninja price was already displayed. US$ 5!!!! How they dare to charge that much? Even the WP version started at US$ 3 and was reduced to US$ 1 after a few months. Hope that price is wrong.

Jetpack Joyride W8 is up. It's free. It's a 1:1 port of the original game. The in-app purchases seem to be more expensive (I remember the counterfeit machine being $0.99 in the original game, $1.49 here)--maybe this got rebalanced with the original game went F2P, but I bought the game back when it was $0.99. Graphics seem to be a pretty hasty upres but it still plays excellently.

Also Microsoft's "Add Payment Method" system doesn't seem to be working correctly, at least with respect to adding a Paypal account. Edit: Yeah, I was able to add a CC, just not Paypal. I get redirected to Paypal and go to add the account but when the browser redirects back to the MS servers it doesn't work.

I keep overlooking the Xbox Live games in the Windows Store... I missed this one as well, despite looking for Live games last night. The store should have an option to display just the Xbox Live games (as WP does).

wetflame

Pizza Dog
Was hoping they'd discount the Alan Wake DLC rather than American Nightmare again, I picked that up in the last sale and am waiting for the DLC to drop to play through those before moving onto it. Might be waiting a while, it seems!

just one question: do I need a VPN connection in order to download this RE4 since it's a GoD game, not XBLA? I'm asking because I'm not in a officially supported XBL country. I'm from Croatia and my XBL account is in the UK and IIRC, I need a VPN connection with a UK IP address to download GoD games and some region-locked content.

Vert boil

ooh, luckily I have 1000 points left, but this sort of price increase is severely annoying. isn't one of the benefits of using a universal points system supposed to be that it's the same price in all regions?

Yes but msp is the secondary option for GoD titles. $£¥ for the lose.

GoD titles that are 1600msp in the US tend to be 1840msp/14.99£ in the UK (unless they really want to bugger us). VAT and set price points makes GoD a lot less appealing.

IvanI, yes. I tried to grab a cheaper copy from a secondary account and the blocks were in place.

aku:jiki

What an utterly lame halloween sale... Where's Amy, Haunt, Deadlight, Alan Wake, I Am Alive and countless other horror-themed XBLA games? Ugly Americans isn't even close to that.

Windu

never heard about the cat, apparently
I keep overlooking the Xbox Live games in the Windows Store... I missed this one as well, despite looking for Live games last night. The store should have an option to display just the Xbox Live games (as WP does).
go to the games application, it will only list live enabled games.

You know if people are going to be talking about Games on Demand and Windows Phone games in this thread, maybe the title should be changed to something less specific.

Vert boil

You know if people are going to be talking about Games on Demand and Windows Phone games in this thread, maybe the title should be changed to something less specific.

Yep, we should rename it to the thread where randomlyrossy just moans and doesn't bother reading the thread before re-answering questions that have already been answered hours before.

GoD talk only happens once a week and the Windows 8 and WP stuff is just temp. If you want the thread to be actually about XBLA stuff maybe you could post something productive in it?

Yep, we should rename it to the thread where randomlyrossy just moans and doesn't bother reading the thread before re-answering questions that have already been answered hours before.

GoD talk only happens once a week and the Windows 8 and WP stuff is just temp. If you want the thread to be actually about XBLA stuff maybe you could post something productive in it?

Apologies if it's already been discussed earlier. It's just those parts of the Marketplace are already confused by a lot of people. So letting the XBLA thread be a mix of GoD discussion, even if it is generally because of the sales, doesn't seem like a good idea to me.

Apologies if it's already been discussed earlier. It's just those parts of the Marketplace are already confused by a lot of people. So letting the XBLA thread be a mix of GoD discussion, even if it is generally because of the sales, doesn't seem like a good idea to me.

There's not really Games on Demand discussion here ever... beyond "this game is on sale".

Windu

It does not. Maybe it is temporary problem before launch, but not all games appear there.

And there is no way to sort it by release date or any other method.
VnVBD.png

you must not be in the US

you must not be in the US

Truly I am not in US, but my Live Account is US and the Windows 8 setting are configured to US.

But that screen was not like that to me yesteday night. There was just a line of games, which scrools horizontally. Fruit Ninja, Jetpack and Reckless Racing were missing.

It may had updated after I checked. I will check again tonight.

Anyway I guess it will be sorted out until Friday.

Windu

Truly I am not in US, but my Live Account is US and the Windows 8 setting are configured to US.

But that screen was not like that to me yesteday night. There was just a line of games, which scrools horizontally. Fruit Ninja, Jetpack and Reckless Racing were missing.

It may had updated after I checked. I will check again tonight.

Anyway I guess it will be sorted out until Friday.
yeah they did roll out a update recently.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Does Jetpack Joyride have all the latest content? All the gadgets, outfits and jetpacks?

I haven't played the iOS version since the gadget update but the W8 version does have gadgets and more outfits/jetpacks than I remember, so I'm guessing yes.

BigMack

What an utterly lame halloween sale... Where's Amy, Haunt, Deadlight, Alan Wake, I Am Alive and countless other horror-themed XBLA games? Ugly Americans isn't even close to that.

Yeah, really.

I was all excited when I clicked on the Shocktober box inside of the Deals and Specials tile and saw I Am Alive, All Zombies Must Die and Deadlight.

Then I started clicking on them and realized they were just listed there and not actually on sale. Only the first page was sale stuff : (

I haven't played the iOS version since the gadget update but the W8 version does have gadgets and more outfits/jetpacks than I remember, so I'm guessing yes.

Is the W8 version RT only? I am getting a message saying "this application does not work with your device" when I click on it in the store.

Or is that because I am still using the RTM Preview? (my release copy is on the way).

EDITED: ok, sort it out. Another bug from the Games application. If I choose it on the Store I can install it.

Dorfdad

Gold Member
Hey everyone I just got a new 360 and have been out of the Xbox World for about 2 years now but I'm back onboard now, and I was looking for some MUST have recommendations for the Xbox live arcade titles.

Santiako

Hey everyone I just got a new 360 and have been out of the Xbox World for about 2 years now but I'm back onboard now, and I was looking for some MUST have recommendations for the Xbox live arcade titles.

Dust: An Elysian Tail, FEZ, Spelunky, Mark of the Ninja are amazing.

vall03

Ikaruga for 400 spacebucks is very tempting, but I wont have much time to play on my consoles for the coming weeks... :(

Daigoro

oh yeah, finally getting Alan Wake AN at that price.

so maybe they are going to do another horror themed sale next week? hopefully...

I'm disappointed that Code Veronica didn't also get discounted.

same here.

Spelunky and Trials Evolution.

Rlan

Toe Jam & Earl Collection popped up on Xbox.com. Seems these guys went a bit further on the game select scren than even the other SVC titles:

boxartlg.jpg

Join aliens ToeJam and Earl in their adventures across space in classic titles ToeJam & Earl™ and ToeJam & Earl in Panic on Funkotron™! This classic journey of two funky aliens has been updated for release on Xbox LIVE Arcade! Earn all new achievements, complete challenging new game trials, and take on zany Earthlings with a friend in two player co-op across Xbox LIVE!

screenlg1.jpg

screenlg2.jpg

screenlg3.jpg

screenlg4.jpg

screenlg5.jpg

screenlg6.jpg

screenlg7.jpg

screenlg8.jpg

screenlg9.jpg

screenlg10.jpg

Card Boy

Banned

I would be personally be avoiding time wasters like Geometry Wars/Pac Man as these will last you an hour or two tops before you get bored of them. They are good games, but personally those kinds of games don't offer alot of bang for your buck and longevity.

I would personally recommend.

* Minecraft: Xbox 360 Edition
* Magic: The Gathering - Duels of the Planeswalkers 2013
* Awesomenauts
* Scott Pilgrim Vs the World: The Game (like River City Ransom)
* Trials EVO
* Trials HD
* Mark of the Ninja
* Torchlight
* Super Meat Boy
* Carcassonne
* Castlevania: Symphony of the Night
* Shadow Complex
* Street Fighter 3
* Sonic CD
* Might & Magic: Clash of Heroes
* Virtua Fighter 5: Final Showdown
* Double Dragon Neon (don't listen to the reviews, game is amazing)
* Bionic Commando Rearmed
* Joe Danger: Special Edition
* The Secret of Monkey Island: Special Edition
* The Secret of Monkey Island 2: LeChucks Revenge Special Edition
* Resident Evil 4 HD (Currently on sale!)
* The Misadventures of P.B. Winterbottom (better than Braid)
* Lara Croft and the Guardian of Light
* Castle Crashers
* Perfect Dark HD
* Orcs Must Die!
* NBA Jam: On Fire Edition
* Battlefield 1943
* Dust
* 'Splosion Man
* Ms 'Splosion Man
* DeathSpank
* DeathSpank 2 (avoid the 3rd one)
* Beyond Good & Evil HD
* Dead Rising Case Zero
* Dead Rising Case West
* Defense Grid: The Awakening
* Alan Wake's American Nightmare (on sale half price)
* Toy Soldiers: Cold War (skip regular Toy Soldiers unless you like WW1)
* Uno
* Renegade Ops
* Mega Man 10
* Mega Man 9
* Costume Quest
* Dungeon Defenders
* Shank
* Shank 2

There are games I have neglected to mention on purpose that may be on others peoples lists due to dead online communities or being a time waster that my get you 1 hour of your attention.

I have had experience with all of the above games, all of which i own on 360, PS3 or PC.

just one question: do I need a VPN connection in order to download this RE4 since it's a GoD game, not XBLA? I'm asking because I'm not in a officially supported XBL country. I'm from Croatia and my XBL account is in the UK and IIRC, I need a VPN connection with a UK IP address to download GoD games and some region-locked content.
To answer myself: Yes, you do need a VPN connection to download this.
I tried downloading it last night: "This item is currently unavailable from your location." Meh...

pswii60

Finally bought Hell Yeah last night. It's friggin' awesome!!

Why oh why are there less than 7,000 on the leaderboards :(

Top Bottom