• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

XBLA (Xbox Live Arcade) News, Announcements, Reviews, and Impressions Thread

Skilotonn

xbot xbot xbot xbot xbot
I don't like supporting buying skins at all as DLC, but the Value Pack for UMVC3 dropping from the ridiculous 20 bucks to the less ridiculous 6.70 is much better.

And if I go with that, I can empty my Microsoft funds since I own all of the games I plan on buying on Xbox Live, so I can finally get to work on the ton of retail and XBLA games I have to finish still.

Captain N

How long will Bully be on sale for? that's a fantastic deal, but it won't let me use my money that i've got on my account from xbox.com

pacman85

Is Case West for Dead Rising 2 any good?
I enjoyed it. For 400 points (I guess it's actually just $4.99 now) I think it's worth it. You don't get to play co-op in Case Zero while you do get co-op in Case West so that was worth it for me. Also, it is a new area that is different from Case Zero so if you have played that then it's still something fresh.
It's worth it since your XP carries over.
The story/setting is decent too.
I thought it was only your XP from Case Zero that carries over to Dead Rising 2 and NOT Case West?

Truelize

Steroid Distributor
I enjoyed it. For 400 points (I guess it's actually just $4.99 now) I think it's worth it. You don't get to play co-op in Case Zero while you do get co-op in Case West so that was worth it for me. Also, it is a new area that is different from Case Zero so if you have played that then it's still something fresh.

I thought it was only your XP from Case Zero that carries over to Dead Rising 2 and NOT Case West?

Your XP from Dead Rising 2 carries over into Case West.

Okay I pissed now. I just spend 9.99 getting a 800 points card on Amazon a few days ago. And now this update happens...and I only have $8.00. Really?

Also there's no tax on Games on Demand right? My bro got $60 added for GTA V, that should be enought, right?

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Okay I pissed now. I just spend 9.99 getting a 800 points card on Amazon a few days ago. And now this update happens...and I only have $8.00. Really?

Log in to billing.microsoft.com and look at your billing history to see exactly what they did.

Here, the positive number is them removing points from you and the negative cash is them giving cash to you:
f6IzQBE.png

Note that these are CAD conversions from the beta, so your exchange rate will not be exactly the same.

Log in to billing.microsoft.com and look at your billing history to see exactly what they did.

Here, the positive number is them removing points from you and the negative cash is them giving cash to you:
f6IzQBE.png

Note that these are CAD conversions from the beta, so your exchange rate will not be exactly the same.
Well fuck...I see what happened. My younger brother, who was pissed at me, decided to go behind my back and get a Minecraft skin pack.

Thanks for the link.

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
The Turtles Trial doesn't allow you t access the Offline Co-Op (may allow online, don't care yet personally.) That's a bit eh. So you can't even see how Arcade mode differs.

But for the actual game itself? A nice presentation (even if you hate the necky turtle designs), The comic panels are a nice touch in some ways, but they also feel like shortcuts to rendering certain scenes in-engine.

The Gameplay; I never relly care TOO much for AA-style fighting, but this is a nice, multiplayer/multi-character twist. It has more delay than I'd like, but that's because you're basically "queuing up actions" as oppose to "button mashing". Mashing will get you doing chains of things you don't want to do, so you really have to time your strikes.

The game offers lots of animations to make the motions somewhat believable. There's lts of cool "countered without even turning t face the enemy" style stuff going on, and the unique finishers come in a multitude of ways.

They also attempt to put life around every corner, as if they really want you to feel that the turtles are working in the backdrop of a living world. This is cool, but kind of jarring.

You can access the training dojo in the demo, which I recommend: the combat makes more sense when you can take it to the side, and experiment. I don't know what the trial for "press b while in the middle of a combo or attack" means, however; It's suppose to be a "knockdown counter", but I wasn't able to get it to work right, though I think it's a method to stop your combos from reaching finisher hits.

All in all, it feels meaty, like it has it's own identity, and like it could offer a well-developed experience, if you give it a chance. I just wonder if the initial flavor will make people want to give it a chance, or if style / perception issues will turn people away. Can't say much more, as I just played the trial myself!

Zach

Hey, guys. I have $10 (just converted from 800 points) left on my account; is there some way to apply that $10 to TMNT and pay the difference?

Thanks.

Captain N

Now I'm 100% convinced Turtles started out based on the canceled version of Turtles that was going to hit this summer. They turned it into an Arcade game.

Vert boil

Since this is going to keep coming up and I hadn't seen a confirmed answer either way, I just picked up Bully.

Hey, guys. I have $10 (just converted from 800 points) left on my account; is there some way to apply that $10 to TMNT and pay the difference?

Thanks.

Yes (I'm in the UK).

I had 2.38£ after the transfer. The MS account balance was greyed out and couldn't be selected (to buy Bully). So I bought the game with my credit card and a popup appeared that asked if I wanted to use my MS account credit and pay the rest with my card.

imagdfe19xswu.png

So since I had less money than I thought, narrowed my list down to three games:
- BLEED
- Gateways
- Qrth-phyl

I'm probably definitely getting BLEED. How are Gateways and Qrth-phyl?

Since this is going to keep coming up and I hadn't seen a confirmed answer either way, I just picked up Bully.

Yes (I'm in the UK).

I had 2.38£ after the transfer. The MS account balance was greyed out and couldn't be selected (to buy Bully). So I bought the game with my credit card and a popup appeared that asked if I wanted to use my MS account credit and pay the rest with my card.

imagdfe19xswu.png

Thanks, that's good to know.
No more odd balances that you can't spend.

moai

Thanks.

yes, you just select purchase and it automatically asks if you would like to apply the usd that you have on your account.

The Gameplay; I never relly care TOO much for AA-style fighting, but this is a nice, multiplayer/multi-character twist. It has more delay than I'd like, but that's because you're basically "queuing up actions" as oppose to "button mashing". Mashing will get you doing chains of things you don't want to do, so you really have to time your strikes.

So is it similar to the Arkham games then?

So since I had less money than I thought, narrowed my list down to three games:
- BLEED
- Gateways
- Qrth-phyl

I'm probably definitely getting BLEED. How are Gateways and Qrth-phyl?

Both excellent, I'd buy Gateways over Qrth-Phyl, but try the demo of QP first 'cause if you really love it, you'll really love it.

So on XBIG, I decided to get BLEED and Weapon of Choice. Obviously BLEED is well known here, but have you guys heard of Weapon of Choice?

First off, it was developed by Nathan Fouts, who had worked at Insomniac Games and definitely took some of those Ratchet and Clank/Resistance influences with him. The highlight of WoC is the weaponry. Each character has their own unique weapon with its own unique secondary fire.

Xerxes Remington, for instance, lugs around a jet engine that he uses as a gun. Its primary fire mode acts more or less like a high-powered flamethrower, but its secondary mode cranks up the engine’s output, increasing its range but also launching Xerxes backwards if he shoots while jumping

Chantarelle Marmalade uses a gun that is more of a flailing quasi-chainsaw; Moses Longhorn unleashes robotic satellites that hover around and fight for him. Each character’s weapon is completely different from all the others, and comes with two distinct modes for different situations. All the characters also have the same back-up weapon, but it’s no mundane sidearm. An assault rifle on the surface, activating the secondary mode sends the gun out to roam around as directed on a sort of prehensile cable.

There's also other cool feature like a spider backpack that lets you cling to walls and ceilings and each character has their own unique double jump ability; for example, one character creates holographic decoy that allows the player to deal double damage.

Here's the trailer if you're interested

jadedm17

The Turtles Trial doesn't allow you t access the Offline Co-Op (may allow online, don't care yet personally.) That's a bit eh. So you can't even see how Arcade mode differs.

But for the actual game itself? A nice presentation (even if you hate the necky turtle designs), The comic panels are a nice touch in some ways, but they also feel like shortcuts to rendering certain scenes in-engine.

The game offers lots of animations to make the motions somewhat believable. There's lts of cool "countered without even turning t face the enemy" style stuff going on, and the unique finishers come in a multitude of ways.

They also attempt to put life around every corner, as if they really want you to feel that the turtles are working in the backdrop of a living world. This is cool, but kind of jarring.

You can access the training dojo in the demo, which I recommend: the combat makes more sense when you can take it to the side, and experiment. I don't know what the trial for "press b while in the middle of a combo or attack" means, however; It's suppose to be a "knockdown counter", but I wasn't able to get it to work right, though I think it's a method to stop your combos from reaching finisher hits.

All in all, it feels meaty, like it has it's own identity, and like it could offer a well-developed experience, if you give it a chance. I just wonder if the initial flavor will make people want to give it a chance, or if style / perception issues will turn people away. Can't say much more, as I just played the trial myself!

Count me in the "The hell is with this art style? I'm gonna vomit" camp.
I've been a TMNT fan over two decades of my 26 years of life and enjoy the style of the original, the 89 cartoon, the 2000 cartoon, the cgi movie, the gamecube cel-shaded games and the current 2013 cartoon. I don't know what they were thinking, I can't get past it.

So on XBIG, I decided to get BLEED and Weapon of Choice. Obviously BLEED is well known here, but have you guys heard of Weapon of Choice?

First off, it was developed by Nathan Fouts, who had worked at Insomniac Games and definitely took some of those Ratchet and Clank/Resistance influences with him. The highlight of WoC is the weaponry. Each character has their own unique weapon with its own unique secondary fire.

There's also other cool feature like a spider backpack that lets you cling to walls and ceilings and each character has their own unique double jump ability; for example, one character creates holographic decoy that allows the player to deal double damage.

i bought weapon of choice but i never had much motivation to play it alot, because i also have contra hard corps and gunstar heroes on my xbox and it's hard to play WoC over those somewhat similar and (imo) better games :/

aku:jiki

Yeah, Mommy's Best Games are pretty well-regarded. He has multiple games on XBLIG, smartphones and XBLA (he made Serious Sam DDXXL).

Dude has the same problem James Silva has, though... Desperately in need of a not-awful artist. It's the main reason I can't get down with his games; I need them to at least not be a visual abomination, if not pretty.

Top Bottom