• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox 360 dashboard 2.0.14448.0 XDK (Fall 2011) leaks on to the web

Dany

Banned
Stumpokapow said:
There are three sets of "ads":

1) Actual ads. Axe body spray, Sprint, Ford, whatever. Often these are sound-activating as well so when you mouse over them, you get an obnoxious blast of crap. I hate these.

2) Ads for movies, music, tv shows, and other non-game content. I'd rather turn these off.

3) Ads for game-related content; deal of the week, new XBLA releases, free video content like Major's Minute and those stupid IGN achievement guides, and other game-related stuff. I don't mind these.

I think you'll find that there are some people who basically want their PS3/360 to be a PS2; boot to menu, it has two choices, manage memory or launch game. There are some people who like all the features but don't want any product awareness stuff. There are some people who like the product awareness stuff but not the ads. There are some people that don't mind any of the advertising.

Ah,yeah, i'm remembering some of that stuff. Yep, getting rid of 1 would be awesome but I doubt they will any time soon.

LQX

Billychu said:
That's actually kind of true.
Haha, I wonder if this is the reason BlimBlim is often complaining of MS not sending them early games. MS probably saw a pattern.

Stumpokapow said:
1) Actual ads. Axe body spray, Sprint, Ford, whatever. Often these are sound-activating as well so when you mouse over them, you get an obnoxious blast of crap. I hate these.

2) Ads for movies, music, tv shows, and other non-game content. I'd rather turn these off.
The benefit of being in Euro-land where MS don't have such deals means we don't get those ads. Been so long since I've seen a non-Game/Zune Movie ad and even longer since I've seen a mouse-over sound ad.

Stumpokapow said:
I think you'll find that there are some people who basically want their PS3/360 to be a PS2; boot to menu, it has two choices, manage memory or launch game. There are some people who like all the features but don't want any product awareness stuff. There are some people who like the product awareness stuff but not the ads. There are some people that don't mind any of the advertising.

Put me in the third category. I don't get why people have a problem with ads when they're non-intrusive. I hate ads on youtube, but on the Dash it doesn't really bother me. Sometimes I even select them! The horror!

brucewaynegretzky said:
Put me in the third category. I don't get why people have a problem with ads when they're non-intrusive. I hate ads on youtube, but on the Dash it doesn't really bother me. Sometimes I even select them! The horror!
Indeed. It's not like you're forced to look at them or anything.

Somewhere, a Microsoft executive is reading this thread and saying "wow, those adverts must be really working, guys. Look how many people are paying attention to them! Keep up the good work!"

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!
I really hope it's better than the current mess. Won't even bother to wish for fewer ads, because it'll never happen.

Master Ninja said it right in the last thread -
a Master Ninja said:
What sucks is that you have to scroll over 4 times to get to games. That shit should be right next to "home"; it's the reason people own the system.
It should be more like this :

VEon6.png

Ledsen

Stumpokapow said:

3) Ads for game-related content; deal of the week, new XBLA releases, free video content like Major's Minute and those stupid IGN achievement guides, and other game-related stuff. I don't mind these.

Wow, sounds pretty irritating. In Sweden we don't have any ads that aren't game- or movie related, and they're all in the "spotlight" tab.

Stumpokapow said:

Considering these are confined to the Video and Music channels, I think it's fine. Many times I'll use the 360 to find out what new movies are out on DVD, then watch the previews to see if I want to watch it or not... then I drive up to a redbox and get it for a dollar.

Most "ads" are confined to their proper channels.

Emitan

OldJadedGamer said:
Considering these are confined to the Video and Music channels, I think it's fine. Many times I'll use the 360 to find out what new movies are out on DVD, then watch the previews to see if I want to watch it or not... then I drive up to a redbox and get it for a dollar.

Most "ads" are confined to their proper channels.
When I turn on my 360 I see ads for videos, movies, and TV shows. If the damned thing would just boot into the Game section I'd have no issues.

Stumpokapow said:

I find most of the ads to be #2 and #3 related which is fine by me.

bj00rn_

Banned
As much as I enjoy my Xbox, I think we're giving MS much too little heat for the way they arrange the content in the UI. I love the Metro style UI, but the way the content is and will be arranged is utter complete fucking crap. We should give Microsoft as much loud shit as we can until they can't ignore us anymore.., seriously. Larry, do you hear me..!?

Ads = No non-gaming ads. Gaming ads should be optional, or on it's own tab.

First priority on my gaming system is and should be my games.. It shouldn't be news or ads or anything else, it should be my games and my content. If and when I want news or new stuff, then I am fully capable to go there by myself.

Stitch said:
This one looks like poop

Welcome to my ignore list.

Billychu said:
If the damned thing would just boot into the Game section I'd have no issues.

No system lets you choose what channel you boot into. I want that as a feature next gen. I want my PS3 to boot into the Video tab cause I use it more for streaming/netflix than I do for games but each time I boot, the TV starts screaming at full blast looping the sound of whatever game I have in there currently.

I don't know why it's so hard for Sony and MS to let us pick our boot channels... and also to remove channels. Like I would totally remove the Music channel from the NXE and the Photo tab of my XMB... but I can't for some silly reason.

Billychu said:
Why can't we have the original one back? That was always my favorite :(
It was a nightmare once the amount of content grew beyond a certain point. Then Avatars came along. Then Kinect. Then Windows 8.

I think this new one would be great if it prioritised games over their advertising. Which it doesn't do.

Emitan

I miss the whoosing of the blades. How they popped out from the sides of the screen. How my Xbox would boot to a screen where I could press A to load a game. NXE is so ugly in comparison.

charsace said:
I'll never understand why ads on the dashboard bothers people. Does it break immersion or something?
Because we are paying for this "premium" matchmaking service. :| Like I feel like Microsoft is far worse with ads than Playstation, and hell, one great thing about steam is there are really no ads unless you go to the store... and even there...the ads are deals anyways.

Rad-

WickedCobra03 said:
Because we are paying for this "premium" matchmaking service. :| Like I feel like Microsoft is far worse with ads than Playstation, and hell, one great thing about steam is there are really no ads unless you go to the store... and even there...the ads are deals anyways.

At least here in EU, Live ads are pretty much the same as Steam ads.

U n i o n 0015 said:
Yup. I think the NXE is fine as it is. It's got its flaws but overall it works okay. This is a step backward.
In what way? I'm failing to see how everything about NXE isn't improved upon in some way here. Everything looks faster and easier to access, there are a good few new features that are really nice and, in my opinion, it looks a ton better.

Zeouterlimits said:
So he's giving his opinion on what he sees, we know that, I'd say he knows that.
It's literally impossible to make statements like "it's a step backwards" without first using it.

"It looks like it might possibly be a step backwards" is as committal as one can be right now, even though it doesn't, particularly.

scently

I know that I am probably in the extreme minority here but I don't mind ads at all. They don't distract me at all. The UI without the ads is quite boring to me. But I guess I can understand people not liking it.

toythatkills said:
It's literally impossible to make statements like "it's a step backwards" without first using it.

"It looks like it might possibly be a step backwards" is as committal as one can be right now, even though it doesn't, particularly.
I agree, the phrasing is poor, but most of us are capable enough in our parsing to put that label on it ourselves.

Just meant you came off a bit harsh, is all.

scently said:
I know that I am probably in the extreme minority here but I don't mind ads at all. They don't distract me at all. The UI without the ads is quite boring to me. But I guess I can understand people not liking it.
You're not in a minority, it's just that the anti-ad crew have to shout louder to make their insane ramblings heard. You read these threads and notice that the people who claim to be bothered by ads are completely irrationally bothered by them, angered by them to the point where many of them would claim to have been molested by an advert as a child just so they can stress how evil the adverts are.

When in reality, they're all but invisible and to avoid them all you have to do is press one button.

MaddenNFL64

toythatkills said:
You're not in a minority, it's just that the anti-ad crew have to shout louder to make their insane ramblings heard. You read these threads and notice that the people who claim to be bothered by ads are completely irrationally bothered by them, angered by them to the point where many of them would claim to have been molested by an advert as a child just so they can stress how evil the adverts are.

When in reality, they're all but invisible and to avoid them all you have to do is press one button.

This is supposed to be a premium service, or are we paying what is it, $4 a month for the benefit of giving Microsoft $4 a fucking month?

it's nothing, but shit, I wouldn't mind not paying a fucking dollar to this thing, ya know? Give me more ads if the money we give isn't enough.

People who don't like ads on their console with a paid service are irrational, god damn.

I think I'm going to take a seat with a drink in my hand and enjoy this thread lol.

Top Bottom