• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox 360 dashboard 2.0.14448.0 XDK (Fall 2011) leaks on to the web

Takuya

Banned
h3ro said:
I wouldn't mind them either if I was able to set what my default start up section was. For God's sake, let me start at My Xbox. I don't care about Major Nelson interviewing someone at Comic Con.
Time to start a new Twitter trend? @majornelson "#I_don't_want_to_see_your_face_when_I_load_my_dashboard!"

Sydle

Sexy dashboard. Looking forward to the Bing and voice search.

LOL at all the ad whiners. Keep bitching all you want, they're never going away.

snoopeasystreet said:
When advertising takes up a space on the GUI that could instead be used for something that improves the use are experience, I have a problem with it. The current 360 dashboard is like that. Hopefully the new one will be better.
They'll basically just swap one Tile with an Ad one once in a while.

joking (hope it won't come true)

MaddenNFL64

This thread is about the new dash, and not ads on XBL Gold, so i'll shut my trap.

We've all had these arguments before, so bleh.

Looking forward to this new look.

MightyHedgehog said:
This is gonna rock just because of Kinect and Bing voice-search integration.
From the video it looks like you can swipe across now with Kinect to move the menu across instead of having to hover over an arrow and drag, which seems much more convenient (I always wondered why it wasn't like this initially; accidental swiping shouldn't be much of an issue, I wouldn't think).

Bing search is the dark horse. If it works as advertised, it is going to be the biggest time saver ever.

TwIsTeD said:
The ads don't really bother me but I just wish MS would take the high ground like Amazon and have an ad supported version and an ad free version of Gold Live

An "ad-supported" version of Gold, assuming the goal would be to match the cost entirely with ad revenue, would be far, far more invasive than the current dashboard. Right now, 90% of the advertisements on the 360 Dashboard generate no revenue; they're ads by Microsoft, for Microsoft-provided (or Microsoft-curated) content, either used to try to sell more of their own goods or given away "for free" to publishers as part of an incentive package.

In order to actually put together a package that produces $60 of ad revenue a year, you'd be stuck watching AXE spray ads and shit multiple times a day, probably with sound and unskippable.

evangd007 said:
In those industries such things are standard. In the gaming industry, well, when I boot up Steam, the only ads I see are for new games, games on sale, games with new DLC, and games with newly lowered prices.

The only difference between this and 95% of the XBL ads people go on about is that the latter include non-game ads for TV, movies, music, and internet services because XBL isn't solely a gaming service like Steam is. It's still all ads for stuff that's on the service you're using though.

(I'm 1000% on board with rejecting the ads that aren't for XBL services, especially if they animate and/or make noise. But I can't remember ever getting one of those myself.)

InaudibleWhispa said:
From the video it looks like you can swipe across now with Kinect to move the menu across instead of having to hover over an arrow and drag, which seems much more convenient (I always wondered why it wasn't like this initially; accidental swiping shouldn't be much of an issue, I wouldn't think).
Yeah, I noticed that. Nice inclusion, though I hope the confirm circle fill time should be configurable, like Rise of Nightmares. Shortcuts, MS. More of 'em.

Bing search is the dark horse. If it works as advertised, it is going to be the biggest time saver ever.
Exactly why this update is special, IMO. And I hope that special phrases will be added over time, like jumping to the current sales list. Again, more shortcuts needed.

sakipon

Syriel said:
Eh, when it comes to NDA breaking/embargo breaking, mainland Europe has it mastered.
And it's brilliant. If someone would happen to get their hands on any upcoming release, they should most definitely change the language to French before posting pics online. Everyone would be 'Oh, the Frenchies leaking again, should've guessed.' Not even Columbo could solve that one.

GaimeGuy

Volunteer Deputy Campaign Director, Obama for America '16
upJTboogie said:
People who don't like ads on their console with a paid service are irrational, god damn.

I think I'm going to take a seat with a drink in my hand and enjoy this thread lol.
want some popcorn?

GaimeGuy

Volunteer Deputy Campaign Director, Obama for America '16
charlequin said:
The only difference between this and 95% of the XBL ads people go on about is that the latter include non-game ads for TV, movies, music, and internet services because XBL isn't solely a gaming service like Steam is. It's still all ads for stuff that's on the service you're using though.

(I'm 1000% on board with rejecting the ads that aren't for XBL services, especially if they animate and/or make noise. But I can't remember ever getting one of those myself.)
Also ,steam is free, so the ads somewhat make sense, while you're paying for XBL Gold already

Every dashboard/Live thread turn into the same we're paying for P2P, why are we paying for ads, I don't use Live anyways, etc. Maybe I'm an asshole but I rarely notice the ads and just go to where I need without much issue or fuss at all. A couple of clicks here or there just really doesn't bother me. I also like the new design.

GaimeGuy said:
want some popcorn?
I'm feeling more like Obama's Fried Chicken.

edit: I always found the arguments pretty funny on the internet, take Facebook a free service, people complain and people say it's free so you can't complain, people complain about Live, a paid service they don't want ads on and the argument is gtfo don't pay and stop complaining.

CorrisD

badchoiceboobies
Are they really keeping the giant box on the home screen as an advert and just shoving off what you have in your disk drive or stuff you have bought to the small ones?

Probably the only thing that grates on me, I don't mind adverts, but I do mind when they shove them in my face infront of my actual content.

bangai-o

Banned
DoomXploder7 said:
You know at this point I hate this argument far more than the ads themselves.
as someone already hinted at, the people that are most mad about these ads, dont even own the friggin xbox.

bangai-o said:
as someone already hinted at, the people that are most mad about these ads, dont even own the friggin xbox.

I can load up my game from the dash in 3 seconds. So what if there are mostly gaming related news around the dash? They're in their respective categories for a reason.

Woorloog

Banned
Looks as ugly as previous Dashboards. I'd like to have something like Halo Waypoint, cool and futuristic (and clear, intuitive and simple controls of course)

feel

Who gives a shit about ads, it's not like I'm not having to watch a 30 seconds Axe clip before entering a submenu, they're just there to the sides of the content I'm clicking on, and its mostly gaming stuff I might want to know about anyways.

Anyone here install it? How's the voice stuff? Can I ask for anything I want it to boot from the main screen? And that they're still using the "hold hand on top of tile for 3 seconds to select" thing is complete crap and they should've come up with something much better by now using the added precision they got in that software update a few months ago.

Also did they ditch the blinding white guide?

25zi846.jpg

Sporran

JonCha said:
Swish, swoosh, swush. Got loads of enjoyment out of that.

THIS by the end of a good few i would sit there going....

Swish, swoosh, swush.
Swush, swoosh, swish.
Swish, swoosh, swush.
Swush, swoosh, swish.
Swish, swoosh, swush.
Swush, swoosh, swish.
Swish, swoosh, swush.
Swush, swoosh, swish.

Noticed whilst Major Nelson has been using YouTube he has also booted up Destination Arcade, wonder if that is somehow making it's way back to the dashboard/apps in some form?

Alx

Why does every topic about the Xbox dashboard degenerate into a debate about advertising ?
We get it, some people hate it, some people deal with it, what's more to say ?

Anyway, the good thing I notice in those screens is the mic icon in a dashboard set to French. Even if it's something that was expected, it's a good sign of voice recognition features finally reaching PAL countries, even non English speaking ones. Great news. I hope all the Bing features will be available too.

Alx said:
Why does every topic about the Xbox dashboard degenerate into a debate about advertising ?
Because with each update things continue to get worse, and more intrusive. All the while bands of people go about asking what the big deal is. Eventually you're going to be watching a commercial every time you boot up Live, and the explanation from the defense force then will be "do you walk out of the movie theater when the trailers begin airing?

BruiserBear said:
Because with each update things continue to get worse, and more intrusive. All the while bands of people go about asking what the big deal is. Eventually you're going to be watching a commercial every time you boot up Live, and the explanation from the defense force then will be "do you walk out of the movie theater when the trailers begin airing?

LOL, this will never happen.

please, please, PLEASE.

Tell me we can finally have more than 100 friends now. They said the archaic xbox live was the reason to support things like Halo 2, but now that that's axed...

CyReN said:
Will premium theme still look good with these?

I don't think any themes look good because of that ugly gray block on the bottom quarter of the screen thats impossible to toggle off.

Its annoying as heck.

h3ro said:
I wouldn't mind them either if I was able to set what my default start up section was. For God's sake, let me start at My Xbox. I don't care about Major Nelson interviewing someone at Comic Con.
This so fucking much. I have zero problem with ads, but i have a big problem with them being on my startup section.
80% of the time, the first thing i wanna do is play a game. i want to press a to get into the disc-based game, or to quickly navigate to the downloaded games section. y'know, like it works in offline mode. fucking hell, how can people defend this shit?

Dug said:
Any ETA on when the beta for the new dashboard will arrive?

Would have to be this month, rumoured date for the proper launch was November 15th.
Unless of course they don't have a public beta this time round.

Top Bottom