• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox 360 dashboard 2.0.14448.0 XDK (Fall 2011) leaks on to the web

clav

Benjamin1981 said:
What a fail MS. Not being able to upload old saves is inexcusable.
If the cloud system storage behaves anything like the current save system, a user then can just move save files manually one by one to the cloud system.

We won't know until the final is out.

clav

Benjamin1981 said:
Just look at the pictures on the last page.

Backup function will not be part of the final release. That is what the disclaimer says.
Reading comprehension?

The tool is used to make copies of your save game files before you put them on the cloud. That won't be an end-user feature.

ACH1LL3US

Aguirre said:
fonts still look stretched and ugly.

Why cant they fix this??? This really bothers me, the text looks 480p. Isnt the dash true 1080p now? So the font/text being 480p looks HORRIBLE!

claviertekky said:
If the cloud system storage behaves anything like the current save system, a user then can just move save files manually one by one to the cloud system.

We won't know until the final is out.

Microsoft told me at a demo in August that you can move it manually, but there is no "move everything to the cloud from the HDD right now" feature. It acts basically like a USB stick / new harddrive

Doesn't appear to be much space for many ads?

In fact, there appears to be less space for ads compared to now, especially as they can add and remove tiles on the current dash, whereas the tiles on this dash appear to be fixed in number...

see5harp

Mr.Green said:
Just press the guide button. That's pretty much the old Blades UI without any bells and whistles.

This as well as the ability to see whether people are in parties and whether you can join a friend's game. Much more information than the Blades ever had with just a press of the Guide button anywhere and in any application/game.

wwm0nkey

D4Danger said:
it did? it still sounds terrible then.

I thought it would be a noticeable improvement.
Go into an older game like Halo 3 and talk to your friends then go into party chat, you will see the audio codec has been greatly improved.

The new dashbaord update is adding in Skype support for party chat though.

They upped the banwidth available from 700kbs to 1.1mb for voice. Its why party chat is noticeable better than in game chat. In game keeps the chat lower for lower game latancy.

Satchel

Banned
It's clear the new dash is combination Windows 8/Kinect influenced.

People still complain about ads? They're not even 'ads' in the way trolls complain about. How is MS 'advertising' Gears of War 3's release a paid ad?

It's part of MS' strategy to get people buying games and services. I would never have known how great Space Marine was if MS hadn't put a panel in the spotlight section. They'll get a sale out of me because of it now. So the system works.

I've rarely if ever seen an ad that doesn't relate to the Xbox console in some way.

Also looking forward to cloud save purely as a backup option in case I ever lose my thumb drive.

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
So you're saying they got rid of the non-game ads? Last time I checked my X360, I was seeing ads for Reeses and some other non-gaming stuff.

Emitan

Satchel said:

People still complain about ads? They're not even 'ads' in the way trolls complain about. How is MS 'advertising' Gears of War 3's release a paid ad?

It's part of MS' strategy to get people buying games and services. I would never have known how great Space Marine was if MS hadn't put a panel in the spotlight section. They'll get a sale out of me because of it now. So the system works.

I've rarely if ever seen an ad that doesn't relate to the Xbox console in some way.

Also looking forward to cloud save purely as a backup option in case I ever lose my thumb drive.
I gets ads for McDonalds, Axe, and little kid's tv shows when I turn my Xbox on.

Satchel said:

I personally don't care about a Gears 3 ad because it does make sense on a gaming console. But it's still an ad, the panel is clearly trying to persuade you to buy Gears.

Syriel

claviertekky said:
Another video surfaced showing off the new sign in screen, cloud storage settings, and IPTV.

x5dCC.jpg

Well, MS now knows the source of one of the leaks.

Owner of that console is getting a nastygram.

G_Berry

Banned
StalkerUKCG said:
They upped the banwidth available from 700kbs to 1.1mb for voice. Its why party chat is noticeable better than in game chat. In game keeps the chat lower for lower game latancy.

That explains why it's easier to get owned when playing games like cod in party chat with an average connection.

wwm0nkey

Mordeccai said:
Just give us back the old dashboard MS :[ Still the best 360 UI released.
not really the blades where pretty clunky and hard to navigate.

Also if you want to old dashbaord so bad just push the guide button.

Kinda sucks that "Social" and even "Videos" are placed before the "Games" tab, but overall, I like it.

Still, MS... Home - Games - Videos - Music - Apps - Social - Settings. Bam.

Satchel

Banned
Billychu said:
I gets ads for McDonalds, Axe, and little kid's tv shows when I turn my Xbox on.

Maybe America is different.

Down here (AU), I don't recall any ads that weren't related to the console in some fashion. Be it an Xbox promotion, a movie on it's download service or something like that.

The only one I can' think of in the last few years was an ad for a movie that was about to be released at the cinema.

I'm pretty sure I survived the ordeal.

upJTboogie said:
I personally don't care about a Gears 3 ad because it does make sense on a gaming console. But it's still an ad, the panel is clearly trying to persuade you to buy Gears.

Wait what?

Billychu said:
Are the TV shows advertised not in the video marketplace?

As for non-game products, the few times I've seen them it always seems like they're cross-promoting with some game.
I don't use hulu, netflix, twitter, facebook, zune or kinect. is there anything in this update that would interest me? you know a person that bought a 360 for gaming.
I haven't seen anything of it yet but MS said they were implementing "beacons" to indicate willingness to play multiplayer games. If so that may revitalize certain XBLA communities (board games in particular).

Blue Ninja said:
Kinda sucks that "Social" and even "Videos" are placed before the "Games" tab, but overall, I like it.

It's the supermarket business strategy. They want you to walk past the videos and music to get to the games, because they know you'll get to the games eventually anyway but you might see something else you like along the way.

Blue Ninja said:

For Microsoft and the Xbox it seems that it's marketing first, and user experience second.

PSYGN

I like how all the categories are in view now, but I can't say I'm a huge fan of the Metro tiles aesthetic.

Maddog

The blades were alright but it was the navigation once you hit the guide button / marketplace / friends list / etc that was atrocious.

watership

toythatkills said:
That "cloud storage" icon is basically the worst thing ever. No more than three seconds was spent making that.

What? That's the cloud icon? THAT? THIS IS A CATASTROPHE.

It's an icon. It's time to get over things.

Top Bottom