• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox 360 dashboard 2.0.14448.0 XDK (Fall 2011) leaks on to the web

wwm0nkey

toythatkills said:
They had to change from the Blades because of the rise in knife-crime. It was bad PR.
well that and the blades just sucked lol

much easier to navigate the dashboard now.

saunderez

Rad- said:
At least here in EU, Live ads are pretty much the same as Steam ads.
Same with Australia. 99.5% of the time the ads are for stuff I want to know about. DLC, new XBLA games, demos that kinda stuff. I have no complaints over the amount of advertising on Xbox Live based on my daily usage.

Persona7

Banned
I bought a old new 360 recently and it has the old blades on it..I love it!

I wish it was that one update that made the blades much faster and was the final update before NXE came out.

I need to figure out how to get that one.

wwm0nkey said:
well that and the blades just sucked lol

much easier to navigate the dashboard now.

not for me i much prefer the 1st gen blades GUI...

this new one should be better cause what they have now is just terrible...

If you're the kind of person that turned on the console and pressed the disk button and went straight to the game and that's it, the blades were probably fine.

If you used XBLA or (God forbid) the Marketplace, you'd suffer like hell. Can you imagine searching through thousands of pieces of content on the old blades interface? It just wasn't designed for it.

BruiserBear said:
Because with each update things continue to get worse, and more intrusive. All the while bands of people go about asking what the big deal is. Eventually you're going to be watching a commercial every time you boot up Live, and the explanation from the defense force then will be "do you walk out of the movie theater when the trailers begin airing?

Lets cross that bridge when we come to it. You can play the "what if" game all day long.

Emitan

Phonomezer said:
I don't get it when people say they "miss the blades"... they were hideous. Good riddance.
But they were the best! And you could even customize their backgrounds! I miss my wood paneling UI.

scar tissue said:
80% of the time, the first thing i wanna do is play a game. i want to press a to get into the disc-based game, or to quickly navigate to the downloaded games section. y'know, like it works in offline mode. fucking hell, how can people defend this shit?
What's your problem then? The first selection on the home page of the upcoming dashboard, which is what you boot into, is disc-based game. The second option is recently played content. There are still a couple of ads, but they've done away with the spotlight screen and the two most commonly accessed buttons are the first selections. It's undoubtedly an improvement.

I personally don't get bothered by ads.

I can't comprehend how people say that is to bothersome to boot up a game because when they turn it on it goes to my xbox.

Is pressing up once so hard? has someone broken their finger by pressing up?

people always find things to bitch about.

I got 99 problems and ads ain't even on the list.

Lord-Audie said:

I can't comprehend how people say that is to bothersome to boot up a game because when they turn it on it goes to my xbox.

It might just be your avatar, but I totally read ads as AIDS on that last bit.

skybaby

Isn't there a dashboard option under privacy to opt-out of microsoft and partners ads? I have not seem a non-game related since a few dash updates ago.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Lord-Audie said:

It cuts both ways. If ads aren't a big deal to ignore, they wouldn't be valuable and they wouldn't be compulsory. Given that Microsoft feels they're valuable enough to force us into looking at them...

Volimar

When you're sitting in a lobby, waiting for it to fill, waiting for it to load, etc. there should be a place to push the xbox bubble button to play quick games like minesweeper or solitaire while you wait.

I know, ADD etc.

InaudibleWhispa said:
What's your problem then? The first selection on the home page of the upcoming dashboard, which is what you boot into, is disc-based game. The second option is recently played content. There are still a couple of ads, but they've done away with the spotlight screen and the two most commonly accessed buttons are the first selections. It's undoubtedly an improvement.
SERIOUSLY??
how did i not know this?
i take everything back, i don't give a fuck about ads any more. as long as they're restricted to xbox-related content, of course. i don't want any mc donalds ads on my dashboard.

Stumpokapow said:
It cuts both ways. If ads aren't a big deal to ignore, they wouldn't be valuable and they wouldn't be compulsory. Given that Microsoft feels they're valuable enough to force us into looking at them...

Well, the invasiveness and effectiveness of ads are not always correlative, right? And in many circumstances I'd argue they're reverse-correlated. A large portion of the Xbox ads are, like, "get XBL gold cheap! buy this week's new release! check out this XBLA catalog sale!" These are both on-topic content and effectively targeted at an audience who presumably is interested.

The AXE body spray ads or whatever are way more obnoxious and I also doubt they sell much (if any) body spray -- whereas it's pretty well demonstrated, I think, that Microsoft's content promotion strategy is a hell of a lot better than Nintendo's or Sony's and having big honking news stories on the dash is a big part of that.

madmackem

Lord-Audie said:

When they become as bad as youtube then i will have a problem. As they are right now in the uk they pretty much are mostly game ads with the odd movie one tossed in which i dont find annoying and pay them mostly no mind. But youtube ads before the video plays will be the death of me.

FrankT

Wouldn't be surprised if the beta is announced this week and going by the Bloomberg article the TV stuff as well.

Wow, it may have been hard to make it even worse than the current one... Also, why so much screen space wasted? It seems metro ui just doesn't work well anywhere...

I'll be interested to see how the Cloud saving ends up working - whether it's something we have to manage ourselves, or whether it's automatic.

I'm starting to tire XBox 360 UI redesigns though - I still think the "blades" interface was the most intuitive (if somewhat ugly) of the UIs Microsoft have put on the 360.

AFollowerNotALeader said:
I'll be interested to see how the Cloud saving ends up working - whether it's something we have to manage ourselves, or whether it's automatic.

I'm starting to tire XBox 360 UI redesigns though - I still think the "blades" interface was the most intuitive (if somewhat ugly) of the UIs Microsoft have put on the 360.

Back in August when MS demoed the new dash, they said it will just appear like the harddrive/usb sticks when the "where do you want to save your data" screen pops up.

They also said they would host all of your saves, no limits since the amount of data files is pretty small they can do it.

But there probably won't be a "move all my current saves on my harddrive to the cloud" according to them.

molekiller said:
Wow, it may have been hard to make it even worse than the current one... Also, why so much screen space wasted? It seems metro ui just doesn't work well anywhere...

It works just fine on my phone. There is a lot of space but I imagine that is probably so the interface can show off more wallpaper. The current NXE, you can barely see the background.

What I really hope for is ability to change the tile colors.

Vinterbird said:
Back in August when MS demoed the new dash, they said it will just appear like the harddrive/usb sticks when the "where do you want to save your data" screen pops up.

They also said they would host all of your saves, no limits since the amount of data files is pretty small they can do it.

But there probably won't be a "move all my current saves on my harddrive to the cloud" according to them.

Nice - thanks! I can see this being handy for those RPGs where I have lots of incremental saves (e.g. Fallout 3) since those end up taking up an inordinate amount of space on my poor 20 gig HD!

antiquegamer said:
It works just fine on my phone. There is a lot of space but I imagine that is probably so the interface can show off more wallpaper. The current NXE, you can barely see the background.

What I really hope for is ability to change the tile colors.

Seing wallpaper vs good usability... someone at Microsoft has his priorities just wrong.

molekiller said:
Seing wallpaper vs good usability... someone at Microsoft has his priorities just wrong.
Or you simply have little experience with the metro interface considering speed and usability is one of its best features. "It doesn't work anywhere"... really? Its key strength is that it merges style and function, rather than favouring one over the other. How well that translates to a games console, I can't say until I've used it. But it certainly looks better than the current dashboard.

alphaNoid

Banned
MikeE21286 said:
I am excited for this.

The current 360 UI is a mess
I thought I'd never say it, but I agree. NXE was so great years ago but with so much content.. the UI needs a massive overhaul again.

I don't use hulu, netflix, twitter, facebook, zune or kinect. is there anything in this update that would interest me? you know a person that bought a 360 for gaming.

maxcer0081 said:
I don't use hulu, netflix, twitter, facebook, zune or kinect. is there anything in this update that would interest me? you know a person that bought a 360 for gaming.
Voice search for all gaming-related content if you have Kinect.
Cloud saves for backing up files.

Mastperf said:
Wasn't there also a rumored friends list increase?
Not at all confirmed, people always make a rumour because they want it.
It was supposedly why they shut down original xbox live, but nothing has really materialised.

new dash looks really nice.

adverts don't bother me on xbox at all. i mean, they literally don't bother me. when i turn on my xbox (using my harmony remote) it automatically sends an 'up' button press to the console.

that won't be necessary any more with this new dash which gets right to where you want right away. well, it gets right to where i want anyway. fully kinect navigatable too which is super lovely.

clav

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ksNXk2jIze8

Another video surfaced showing off the new sign in screen, cloud storage settings, and IPTV.

x5dCC.jpg

qfeDV.jpg

wNiYL.jpg

ehdaG.jpg

4Xlvz.jpg

8MMhz.jpg

mVh8Q.jpg

Top Bottom