• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox Details E3 Plans

My expectations have never been lower.

For some reason I just sense Microsoft have admitted defeat this gen already and are looking to coast.

I don't understand how a powerhouse like microsoft is failing to find talented developers to create new, exciting titles?

Have Sony and Nintendo got a monopoly on talent or is there a lack of it in the industry at the moment ?
I feel like there's a disconnect between your impressions and what's really happening.

Just going by announced games they have Below, Inside, Cuphead, Recore, Scalebound, Sea of Thieves on their pipeline, and that's all developers with proven talent.

Not to mention the ones they already released like Quantum Break, Sunset Overdrive, Ori, Max, D4 and even a few others that didn't turned out all that great like Crimson Dragon.

They, as a publisher have come up with many new titles every year since this gen started and I see no signs of them dialing that down.

blakep267

I don't really see any halo 6 etc stuff being shown. Honestly, besides halo wars I don't really think there will be any other halo news at the conference. Continuing content support for Halo 5 can be done with a press release or pre conference announcement. The next game wouldn't be coming until 2017-2018 so there's no reason showing it now

Also last years conference had 2 new ip reveals( Recore & Sea of thieves), so I don't think it would be too outlandish to expect 2-3 new ips/ unannounced games to be shown( Undead Labs , Alan Wake 2 & maybe some other studio)

I'm kinda with you. I don't think what we're going to see this E3 will be anything we didn't already know. I think their presentation will be all games, games games with a couple of exceptions.

• Open with Gears 4 cinematic with live gameplay demo following
  • Turn10 with Forza Horizon 3 intro and demo, holiday 2016 release
  • Now will be a good time to talk about ID@XBOX games, with some Cuphead live gameplay and release date
  • Some stuff about their Windows 10 integration and some UWA announcements
  • Cloud services spiel and segway into Crackdown multiplayer beta (available F2P now! single player 2017)
  • Titanfall 2 demo, something about maps timed exclusivity and/or EA Access integration
  • Sea of Thieves gameplay demo, 2017 release
  • 343i demo of Halo Wars 2, holiday 2016

Then, the "Oh, just one more thing" moment. Either (in order of likelihood):

1. Continuing tradition and a segway from the 343i demo, a cinematic teaser for Halo 6, coming holiday 2017.
2. Xbox Slim/II/One.5 unveiled, but it will have to be for holiday 2016 - any new HW announcement ahead of the holiday but not released during it will kill sales of existing hardware
3. MS/Oculus partnership, and Rift being compatible with the Xbox One. Could be any VR vendor, really, but since MS owns part of Facebook and they are already supplying the controller, an Oculus deal seems more likely.

Again, nothing too crazy. I think MS will play it safe and concentrate on what's in their pipeline at the moment, while behind the scenes they will be gearing up for the next hardware launch.

Mainline halo games have a three year Dev cycle of they tease another halo it would be in the vane of ODST not halo 6.

Got my confirmation.
c60iAeO.jpg

I'm guessing Nintendo won't even bother doing the small retail partner presentation I attended last year.

0zvtFeC.jpg

Raide

I hope MS bring the fire this year. They really need something to push momentum towards them and not wards the looming Neo and NX. Really excited to see what they say and do to try and stem the tide.

Hawk269

Does anyone else feel that if a Xbox Slim for $299.99 would actually be not that big of a deal? Main reason I say that/ask that is recently MS was advertising the existing Xbox One for $299.99 already. This week, it is back to $349.99 but every retailer has a $50.00 Gift Card with purchase, essentially making it back to $299.99.

Personally, I think for them to really have a "drop the microphone" moment is to have the Slim at $249.99 with a game. That to me would be compelling and really move hardware.

Does anyone else feel that if a Xbox Slim for $299.99 would actually be not that big of a deal? Main reason I say that/ask that is recently MS was advertising the existing Xbox One for $299.99 already. This week, it is back to $349.99 but every retailer has a $50.00 Gift Card with purchase, essentially making it back to $299.99.

Personally, I think for them to really have a "drop the microphone" moment is to have the Slim at $249.99 with a game. That to me would be compelling and really move hardware.

The Slim would need to have something else to it besides just being smaller to justify the same price-point. Think how they added HDMI to the 360. Otherwise, unless they're just completely discontinuing the Big One in favor of the Slim One.. it won't make much of a difference (good or bad).

I guess if they released the slim at $299 and then clearance the big for $199 or something it could move some systems.

Chris1

But then they're probably goinna have to go to $200 for the holidays, which seems low.

Trup1aya

I'm kinda with you. I don't think what we're going to see this E3 will be anything we didn't already know. I think their presentation will be all games, games games with a couple of exceptions.

• Open with Gears 4 cinematic with live gameplay demo following
  • Turn10 with Forza Horizon 3 intro and demo, holiday 2016 release
  • Now will be a good time to talk about ID@XBOX games, with some Cuphead live gameplay and release date
  • Some stuff about their Windows 10 integration and some UWA announcements
  • Cloud services spiel and segway into Crackdown multiplayer beta (available F2P now! single player 2017)
  • Titanfall 2 demo, something about maps timed exclusivity and/or EA Access integration
  • Sea of Thieves gameplay demo, 2017 release
  • 343i demo of Halo Wars 2, holiday 2016

Then, the "Oh, just one more thing" moment. Either (in order of likelihood):

1. Continuing tradition and a segway from the 343i demo, a cinematic teaser for Halo 6, coming holiday 2017.
2. Xbox Slim/II/One.5 unveiled, but it will have to be for holiday 2016 - any new HW announcement ahead of the holiday but not released during it will kill sales of existing hardware
3. MS/Oculus partnership, and Rift being compatible with the Xbox One. Could be any VR vendor, really, but since MS owns part of Facebook and they are already supplying the controller, an Oculus deal seems more likely.

Again, nothing too crazy. I think MS will play it safe and concentrate on what's in their pipeline at the moment, while behind the scenes they will be gearing up for the next hardware launch.

I'm not sure how you can come to this conclude after reading this :

During the briefing, you’ll have a chance to check out everything from in-depth looks at previously-announced games to trailers for our unannounced titles coming in 2016 and beyond.

Welfare

It's impossible for them to have anything in the pipeline since we didn't have any massive leaks after January 2014, so in 2 years, it's not possible for MS to have started any other project, and only has the titles we know of right now being made.

blakep267

i mean I don't ever think revisions are that big of a deal. I don't even think the Ps4K is that big of a deal since there aren't going to be games specifically made for it.

I'd rather buy a normal Xbox one at $249 this holiday than get a slim for $299

The slim would only be interesting to me( I already have a normal xb1) if they ditched the disk drive and made it a digital only system for $199. Then id buy an extra Xbox for sure

Welfare

i mean I don't ever think revisions are that big of a deal. I don't even think the Ps4K is that big of a deal since there aren't going to be games specifically made for it.

I'd rather buy a normal Xbox one at $249 this holiday than get a slim for $299

Slim models are a big deal. Sales always go up with them. An official price drop to $299 in addition to a new slim model will be big.

Question is, do they give a fuck about Europe and drop the price there as well?

Hawk269

Slim models are a big deal. Sales always go up with them. An official price drop to $299 in addition to a new slim model will be big.

Question is, do they give a fuck about Europe and drop the price there as well?

My thought process with all of this is that MS seems to be more about services and such, they even stopped reported sell thru numbers and talk more about services/Xbox Live usage etc. Only way to grow that is to have more units in consumers hands and leverging a Slim model, which would be cheaper to manufacturer than the original, with an aggressive price point would be pretty big imho.

Could they release a discless Xbox one slim at $199? Is that possible?

SpotAnime

Mainline halo games have a three year Dev cycle of they tease another halo it would be in the vane of ODST not halo 6.

Desperate times means desperate measures. I feel they'll want to complete the reclaimer trilogy to coincide with an Xbox One.5 launch, to hopefully jumpstart sales and get people back on the Xbox platform. Hey, it's just a guess!

You didn't read what I wrote - not all of my guesses were landing in 2016.

It's impossible for them to have anything in the pipeline since we didn't have any massive leaks after January 2014, so in 2 years, it's not possible for MS to have started any other project, and only has the titles we know of right now being made.

Right, because to be strategic they should release info on every title they have in flight right now, regardless of which year they will be released.

Trup1aya

Desperate times means desperate measures. I feel they'll want to complete the reclaimer trilogy to coincide with an Xbox One.5 launch, to hopefully jumpstart sales and get people back on the Xbox platform. Hey, it's just a guess!

You didn't read what I wrote - not all of my guesses were landing in 2016.

Right, because to be strategic they should release info on every title they have in flight right now, regardless of which year they will be released.

What?

You said that there e3 will consist of nothing but titles we already know about. They are saying they will be showing unannounced things that will launch in 2016 and beyond. That's the opposite of what you are predicting.

Going into e3 nothing new would be unprecedented... And dumb.

I mean you're completely ignoring the likelihood that they, like everyone else in the business, has been working on games that are still under wraps.

How did the FanFare thing work last year?

Did they just open it up to buy on a first-come-first-serve basis until they hit 500? Sounds like it'll be incredibly hard to get it then.

I really want to go to E3 but this seems like the only way

EYEL1NER

I hope the first XB1/PS4 cross-network game is announced (probably Rocket League).
Ooooh, that would be a good one. I'm not trying to say ESO should be the first cross-platform title (though I do think there should be cross-platform servers), but I just started playing ESO as my first MMO and when I told a friend, the first thing he said is "Is it cross platform? Can we play together?" I told him no and told him all about the announcement that MS would allow cross-platform play but that we haven't seen anything happen after the announcement. Bringing out some news on cross-platform games would be nice.

daTRUballin

SOT Marketing has been getting a small push, it's coming out this year imo.

SoT marketing better be getting a big push sometime after E3 if it's going to be coming out this year. Rare's other Xbox games all failed because MS failed to market them in favor of other first party games. If Phil Spencer is really committed to the idea of Rare making a comeback like he says he is, then he needs to give Rare's games the attention they deserve.

How did the FanFare thing work last year?

Did they just open it up to buy on a first-come-first-serve basis until they hit 500? Sounds like it'll be incredibly hard to get it then.

I really want to go to E3 but this seems like the only way

People waited in line overnight.

IIRC people strolled by the next morning and got in anyway.

Who knows what it'll be like this year? Hopefully they give more details soon.

Kayant

I hope the first XB1/PS4 cross-network game is announced (probably Rocket League).

Highly unlikely they would promote a feature like that at E3. News of that will likely come from the devs(if it happens) than MS or Sony.

Mainly want to see more Gears, slightly interested in Recore. More footage of Scalebound would be nice.

krang

As a big Halo fan, I'm actually hoping they give it a bit of a break. Show HW2, sure, or maybe a Reach remaster, but no need for any more reveals of new Halo this year.

Top Bottom