• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox E3 Conference 6/11 2pm PST

Status
Not open for further replies.

Biggzy

HYXP5i5.jpg

w3antps.jpg

A ticket for me you kind Sir.

Reckheim

First time in a long time I am actually excited for a Microsoft conference (even tho I don't own an xone or plan to own a Scorpio). This industry needs a bit more competition for sure.

They gotta have megatons right? I mean they can't just say "here's scorpio, ya'll know how powerful it is. $399, hopefully some of you Sony fans come over. Bye."

They going to drop some potential game changing news IMO.
Why is an apocalypse needed? Think about the actual content of your "disappointing" version: the best-looking console games across the board, with long-desired and newly-announced games coming to it, all for a reasonable price.

I just don't see why the realistic version wouldn't be exciting. Bombs don't have to drop--even without shocking surprises they have a strong hand.

Marvel

could never
If you can find me or make a cutout PNG of his entire head I'll put it in the next train if we get there. It will be a completely new train.

Here is the first and second train for reference.

HYXP5i5.jpg

w3antps.jpg

I've got an appointment atm will add requests when I get back.
One ticket please!

They would if they wanted to hit a specific (low) price point while minimizing their losses in the early months/years.

Imagine a world where MS would like to hit a particular pricepoint, like say $399. Imagine further that the Scorpio's BOM (with controller) results in a break-even price of, I dunno, $439. Feel free to pick different numbers. MS then has to make a decision. Do they:

• Go ahead and lose $40 on every unit sold?
  • Price it at $449 or $499, and lean harder on the "premium experience" marketing? Maybe add a bundled game.
  • Leave out the controller and "only" lose $20 instead?

I definitely understand how they could work that, I just thought his pricing was off. I don't see Microsoft dropping things that low to hit a certain price on a SKU that primarily appeals to current Xbox owners.

They would still lose a lot of subscribers if playing online is not part of a gold subscription. Microsoft would probably make more money from charging for online with the Xbox players they have now than any new buyer that would be there just for the free online.

Oh no doubt! I'm not pretending to have all the answers here. Just saying that I think it could work for them in the long run. There are more variables at play there than just people who would subscribe vs those who don't.

They would if they wanted to hit a specific (low) price point while minimizing their losses in the early months/years.

Imagine a world where MS would like to hit a particular pricepoint, like say $399. Imagine further that the Scorpio's BOM (with controller) results in a break-even price of, I dunno, $439. Feel free to pick different numbers. MS then has to make a decision. Do they:

• Go ahead and lose $40 on every unit sold?
  • Price it at $449 or $499, and lean harder on the "premium experience" marketing? Maybe add a bundled game.
  • Leave out the controller and "only" lose $20 instead?

i do understand the principle, but they'll never leave out a controller. just not worth it. it does not cost much to make. they rather add value and include free games

here is the BOM estimate from IHS Markit
the controller is a bit over $17.
your $20 estimate isn't that bad
ihs_markit_microsoft_xbox_ones_top_cost_drivers.png

Exploded_View.jpg

mabec

I dont mean to leak anything but iam fairly certain that Scorpio will be called something "Xbox O..." Wouldnt be surprised if they go with an "Ox-word", for example Oxymoron, for the only reason they can call the console XBOXOX (OXOX)
Also, my source is the previous consoles. Xbox 360 (O=360) & Xbox O(ne). Yes, you can trust me, iam a detective.

jesu

On the mixer tab click like "view streams" or something like that, it'll open up the Mixer app.

That got it.

Cheers everyone.
I had to watch a stream and that loaded the app.

edit, the app I can see now is still called Beam on my Xbox.

blakep267

Gotta read to rest of my post there! My thought would be making basic online multiplayer free that only offers in-game chat. GwG, Party Chat, Clubs, Arena, and LFG would stay behind the paywall.
I can almost guarantee that 90%+ would still unsubscribe from gold. None of what you mentioned is worth $10 a month.

We can even do an informal poll here if you want
Games pass is in it's infancy. It's not an alternative to gold. It's a complimentary piece that makes use of BC and hopefully in the future grows

I can almost guarantee that 90%+ would still unsubscribe from gold. None of what you mentioned is worth $10 a month.

We can even do an informal poll here if you want
Games pass is in it's infancy. It's not an alternative to gold. It's a complimentary piece that makes use of BC and hopefully in the future grows

Xbox Live Gold has an MSRP of $60 per year tho? I'm still convinced they could make it work even if you aren't!

blakep267

Xbox Live Gold has an MSRP of $60 per year tho? I'm still convinced they could make it work even if you aren't!
Your not saying how though. How do they make up $60 per user per year. Nobody is going to pay for LFG arena etc. nobody is going to subscribe for the games. Better GWG means paying more money for licenses ie expenses are increasing in hopes of people subscribing. We already have weekly gold sales. How much more discount would publishers allow.

MS likely makes very little on the sale of a console. They supplement it with gold subs, digital purchases, dlc etc. you take 1 pillar out and what do you replace it with

The PS3 had free MP. The Xbox still sold 80+ million consoles with paid MP

pr0cs

I haven't reviewed the last 10 pages or so but is the general consensus that Scorpio will be called xbox 10 S and be an actual pc as opposed to console only?

Your not saying how though. How do they make up $60 per user per year. Nobody is going to pay for LFG arena etc. nobody is going to subscribe for the games. Better GWG means paying more money for licenses ie expenses are increasing in hopes of people subscribing. We already have weekly gold sales. How much more discount would publishers allow.

MS likely makes very little on the sale of a console. They supplement it with gold subs, digital purchases, dlc etc. you take 1 pillar out and what do you replace it with

The PS3 had free MP. The Xbox still sold 80+ million consoles with paid MP

First and foremost, it's definitely hyperbolic to say "nobody" would pay for Xbox Live Gold if multiplayer were removed from behind the paywall. People would pay $60 per year for GwG, party chat, "deals with gold", LFG, arena etc...

IF we wanted to get into the discussion of how Microsoft would make up the money they'd lose from people who decided to go without Gold anymore, they'd have a bunch of things to consider. Game Pass could certainly be one area in which they tried to entice people, another would just be the idea of bringing new people to the platform. If X person buys 3 or 4 more multiplayer games per year on Xbox because online is free that helps offset things.

As I said before, I'm not pretending to have the definitive answer here. Just saying that I think they could make it work if they really wanted to.

Somnia

That got it.

Cheers everyone.
I had to watch a stream and that loaded the app.

edit, the app I can see now is still called Beam on my Xbox.

Beam is Mixer, they changed to Mixer awhile back. Your app probably just hasn't updated to say Mixer yet.

leeh

Ticket please!

My avatar is actually crying of excitement.

EDIT: Realised my avatar bet ran out 5 days ago. Should I keep it though...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom