• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox E3 Conference 6/11 2pm PST

Status
Not open for further replies.

LowSignal

I hope Phil comes out with the Scorpion jacket Ryan Gosling wore in the movie "Drive". But really I just hope they name their hardware something better than Xbox One was. Sunday is cool I wonder if that will make it difficult to do "and it's available now!" announcements.

modsbox

Let's go!

Yo, what is this. LMAO.

lol. We're talking about the timing for their conference. I think it's a mistake for them to do their scorpio announce before Sony's conference, so I said that.

2013 was not that long ago, they shouldn't risk repeating any aspect of that scenario.

Eh. Would rather a reveal before E3, so the conference can focus on games. But will tune in anyway.

What games exactly? Taking the console warrior nonsense out of this, they really don't have a ton to show. If they have a reveal event, surely they will show Scorpio game footage right? Then what would they show at E3? More of the same games? wouldn't be as impactful that way, and would probably cause negative reaction from gamers.

This is the best and risk free scenario. Blend the unveil event with their E3 showcase. zero risk of a "weak E3" following reveal event which would kill momentum. This way they own news cycle for the day, they unveil Scorpio and any games will be "world Premier" type stuff on Scorpio. win/win.

Smart move by them.

icespide

Banned
What if they use a video like they did with dx12!? The masses would loove to see a slider showing them the difference! (Even if it isnt 100% accurate)

;)
Believe

if they choose to highlight actual graphical differences (better geometry, lighting, etc.) a slider would be a good way to do it. If they're pushing hard on the native 4k aspect, it will be really hard to get that across on a stream

I think specs and capabilities of the scoprio will come out a few days before where at e3 instead of having to talk specs they will show off the actual system and games

lol. We're talking about the timing for their conference. I think it's a mistake for them to do their scorpio announce before Sony's conference, so I said that.

2013 was not that long ago, they shouldn't risk repeating any aspect of that scenario.

Sure... that's definitely what you were thinking. :)

gamz

Why?

daTRUballin

Ah, gotcha. I realize that I was short sighted to assume everyone to be meeting at the same times!

Haha no worries :p

Even if I do end up missing it live, it's not big of a deal. I can just watch the conference on YouTube afterwards and stay off of GAF until after I'm done to not see any spoilers.

I think no one is saying there won't be games. The thing is Microsoft's last two E3s were pretty weak in terms of new game announcements, and the recent cancellations and studio shut downs didn't do them any favors. So they need to announce a lot of games to get people excited about their platform again, and any time that goes into hardware talk can arguably detract from that purpose. Because ultimately games are what really matter to most people.

I think arguments are stronger when you speak for yourself and don't impute your motives/desires to "most people" using words like "need" and implying that no one is excited about their platform.

Meh

Zero fucking hype for this team managing this brand these days, I knew they would show Scorpio here, have to fill time somehow.

I would be amazed but made up if they had the megatons but I can't see it. Having said that the ones who kiss Phils arse will love whatever they show and he listens to them so carry on Phil you can do no wrong in their eyes mate.

Microsoft should definitely spend a little time talking about some specs, they have to. No matter how you slice it, it's an important piece of information to provide in any true reveal because the new power and capability it will bring is a major part of the excitement as well.

It's this type of information, and the desire to know what's really under the hood, that has largely sustained the hype and excitement around the console for this long. So they should definitely provide a bit of extra information and detail regarding the raw specifications and the kind of tech at use, especially in cases where the revealing of said information would only add to the anticipation.

That can naturally include what kind of performance improvements and other things of relevance they've been noticing internally, and make sure to demonstrate it through videos. Hell, everything I just mentioned can be shown in a simple video along the same lines as the reveal video if they don't want to do so live at their presser. It will still get the message across.

Meh

Zero fucking hype for this team managing this brand these days, I knew they would show Scorpio here, have to fill time somehow.

I would be amazed but made up if they had the megatons but I can't see it. Having said that the ones who kiss Phils arse will love whatever they show and he listens to them so carry on Phil you can do no wrong in their eyes mate.

What a passive-aggressive post.

Please tell us how you really feel.

Scrawnton

Meh

This current team managing Xbox one brought us backwards comparability and showed huge pro consumer pushes in that direction. I'm okay with how they're handling things. I'll be super happy if they stop ignoring Japanese games and throw some money around again to get those games as well.

modsbox

Ok, i'll bite but honestly I really didn't think these comments would seem so crazy to people.

I think Microsoft has to announce price for Scorpio. I think doing so before Sony's pitch makes it too easy for them to counter the momentum their pitch creates.

Price it too high, Sony touts their large portfolio of 4k games and the fact that you can buy a Pro _right now_ for less money. Price Scorpio aggressively and Sony can counter with a price drop on the Pro the very next day, that again makes the Pro seem like a better value.

Either way Sony benefits because they know what they're up against.

If Sony goes first, they don't have what they need to know if they should announce a price drop on Pro or not. So they can't. They don't know price, they don't even know final specs of the device and what the first set of games for it look like. They don't have enough information. All they can really do is show their games, there is no opportunity to respond to what Microsoft has just announced. Given the stage, and the fact that the media is covering all this extensively, I think it matters.

Sure... that's definitely what you were thinking. :)

what do you think I was thinking exactly?

Kayant

The last time I was this early... Something something.

Whew! MS continuing that Tier 1 UK support 😀.
I have a feeling that half of the conference will be devoted to talking about Scorpio, and then the other half will be demoing games that have already been announced on Scorpio. So Sea of Thieves, Crackdown 3, State of Decay 2 etc. I think it's going to be very light in terms of game announcements for MS this E3. Maybe Forza 7 and Halo 6, but that's about it.
That seems like a very reasonable prediction.
Why does Microsoft always go first. I don't get it.

However cool Scorpio announce is, they'll have to announce price.

At which point Sony can decide how low to go with their response.

Even if they hit $399 for Scorpio, Sony can guaranteed go out the very next day with a super appealing price for the Pro.
Wat??? The idea they can just decide on how 'low' they can go based what their competitor has previously just shown is silly. Things like prices are usually not decided within such little timeframe. Unless they already considered multiple prices that seems far fetched to think they can adjust how low they can go.

This current team managing Xbox one brought us backwards comparability and showed huge pro consumer pushes in that direction. I'm okay with how they're handling things. I'll be super happy if they stop ignoring Japanese games and throw some money around again to get those games as well.

And that's fine, I'm talking about the groovy gang who kiss the man's backside whatever he does.

BC is great but it shouldn't be at the forefront of your announcements for nearly a year considering a weak E3 in terms of new games announced. Scalebound was cancelled.

Ok, i'll bite but honestly I really didn't think these comments would seem so crazy to people.

I think Microsoft has to announce price for Scorpio. I think doing so before Sony's pitch makes it too easy for them to counter the momentum their pitch creates.

Price it too high, Sony touts their large portfolio of 4k games and the fact that you can buy a Pro _right now_ for less money. Price Scorpio aggressively and Sony can counter with a price drop on the Pro the very next day, that again makes the Pro seem like a better value.

Either way Sony benefits because they know what they're up against.

If Sony goes first, they don't have what they need to know if they should announce a price drop on Pro or not. So they can't. They don't know price, they don't even know final specs of the device and what the first set of games for it look like. They don't have enough information. All they can really do is show their games, there is no opportunity to respond to what Microsoft has just announced. Given the stage, and the fact that the media is covering all this extensively, I think it matters.
Sony has that advantage regardless because they launched a year early. That won't nullify Scorpio if MS nails it in other areas.

What games exactly? Taking the console warrior nonsense out of this, they really don't have a ton to show.

Xbox has no announced titles beyond 2017. It's a choice in how they've gone about their game announcments. We don't even know if what's been announced is their full lineup for this year. Just because none of their 2018 and beyond games have been announced, doesn't mean they done exist. Sony on the other hand has chosen to announce titles that likely span a breadth of release dates from this year to potentially 2019.

gamz

And that's fine, I'm talking about the groovy gang who kiss the man's backside whatever he does.

BC is great but it shouldn't be at the forefront of your announcements for nearly a year considering a weak E3 in terms of new games announced. Scalebound was cancelled.

I sense jealousy.

Is there a line where you can kiss his backside at E3? I probably want to watch first before I commit to any kissing, but definitely interested.

Wedzi

Banned
Now here's the big question, will Sony follow suit or keep Monday to themselves?

They'll probably stay on Monday night. They've been doing their E3 conference live from movie theaters across the US for awhile now so I expect them to keep it up. Also it's a good time to give away stuff like a beta key for Destiny 2.

I have a feeling that half of the conference will be devoted to talking about Scorpio, and then the other half will be demoing games that have already been announced on Scorpio. So Sea of Thieves, Crackdown 3, State of Decay 2 etc. I think it's going to be very light in terms of game announcements for MS this E3. Maybe Forza 7 and Halo 6, but that's about it.

This is pretty much my expectations. Throw in a few more original Xbox remastered games and that's the show. Would be kind of a lack luster conference tbh unless Scorpio really brings the power and at a reasonable price to a degree that both would be surprising.

Given what little we know from insiders, I don't think MS will have any kind of surprises like Horizon E3 2015 or God of War E3 2016. So best not to get excited for any kind of left field large single player games.

Let's goooooo! How you feeling about this Sting?

giphy.gif

giphy.gif

modsbox

Sony has that advantage regardless because they launched a year early. That won't nullify Scorpio if MS nails it in other areas.

That's a good point.

I do think though that they won't want to announce a price drop on Pro if they don't have to. Seeing the Scorpio's price beforehand gives them a valuable piece of information, and the opportunity to announce a price drop on E3 stage if need be, or skip it if they still feel good about their value prop against a higher-than-expected scorpio price.

Scrawnton

I imagine Phil is taking the cancellation of Scalebound as a big sign of weakness. I'd imagine they feel like they still have a lot to prove. So I hope they work hard still. I'm happy they have been making moves for the better lately. I bought a PS4 at launch and an Xbox a couple years later but I feel like Sony is kind of just riding this gen out. I want more pressure on them.

I imagine Phil is taking the cancellation of Scalebound as a big sign of weakness. I'd imagine they feel like they still have a lot to prove. So I hope they work hard still. I'm happy they have been making moves for the better lately. I bought a PS4 at launch and an Xbox a couple years later but I feel like Sony is kind of just riding this gen out. I want more pressure on them.

I hear you man.

What people are missing here is I did say I would be made up if they brought the megatons. Being a fan doesn't mean you have to like everything they do or hate on them all the time. I'm just passionate and when I don't think everything's great I'll say so. I've praised them plenty of times in the past.

jelly

Whoever thinks Microsoft wont have any new announcements are kidding themselves.

I'm sure they can pull a CGI trailer of a non existent game out their arse in time for E3 but a game studio with something to show that is a surprise, I'm not convinced at all beyond what we know is in the pipeline unless they have secret game studios nobody knows about. Crackdown, Forza 7, State of Decay, Sea of Thieves, Halo 6 isn't a bad line up at all but I doubt Halo 6 gets much beyond an announcement trailer. Sprinkle a few small games like Cuphead, Playdead tease, pack the rest with Scorpio and how it improves old stuff, Done. I just don't see anything else being a wow surprise that isn't a 3rd party debut.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom