• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox first-party is "critical" for Scorpio, says Spencer (Gamesindustry.biz)

Status
Not open for further replies.

leeh

But Mattricks way of thinking was working in the latter 360 era. Kinect was selling great. Consoles were selling. The tent poles were selling. Why would you think your future strategies are wrong. Ex. Kinect sports 1-2 sold 9 million copies. Logically you'd think that Rivals would be the. Eat way to go for Rare.

As for New IP, I assume that's pretty much guaranteed since they only really likely would have halo 6 and Horizon 4 next year so there's a lot of space that needs to be filled
Yeah, Kinect was a runaway success, but his approach on that being a more long-term solution to Xbox should of been analysed more closely. Engagement rates with the Kinect will of been very low, as it was seen of more of a fad, and competitive gaming like esports was on the rise.

I do believe he had all the data in-front of him to point him in the right direction, and from his part, what he did cost the company a lot of money and tarnished the brand, hence being let go.

Hoo-doo

Banned
Are you saying Microsoft's first party is nonexistent?
Best in class tps, one of the best multiplayer fps, best in class racer, all this good shit sprinkled on the side with Sunset Overdrive, Ori, Quantum Break...etc.

Get the fuck out.

Nobody is saying they are nonexistent.

But neither Halo nor Gears are enjoying the insane levels of popularity they had last generation. Both series are on an undeniable decline.
The Forza series remains a great asset, but even they might hit franchise fatigue at some point if they are planning to keep putting out sequels every other year.

The rest of the titles you named aren't first-party titles. Maybe Ori is, I don't know.
But I don't think there's much sense in acting like they are firing on all cylinders right now.

opricnik

Banned
Are you saying Microsoft's first party is nonexistent?
Best in class tps, one of the best multiplayer fps, best in class racer, all this good shit sprinkled on the side with Sunset Overdrive, Ori, Quantum Break...etc.

Get the fuck out.

best for who ? maybe last gen but their ip's arent best at anything this gen

Slaythe

What utter nonsence. Did developers run away after MS dropped True Fantasy Online . If MS pays the cash developers will be there.

MS does not have the cash needed for that. Yes it has huge amount of money, but that doesn't mean they can spend it recklessly.

Not making a game on playstation that is outselling Xbox 2:1 WW, that's not easy to moneyhat anything substantial.

Especially since everything they moneyhatted has backfired dramatically this gen.

Dimorphic

Honestly I don't get the exclusive games fear that people have for Microsoft.

Halo MCC
Halo 5
Sunset Overdrive
Quantum Break
Killer Instinct
Rare Replay
Forza Motorsport 5
Forza Motorsport 6
Forza Horizon 2
Forza Horizon 3
Sea of Thieves
Crackdown 3
ORI and the Blind Forest
Halo Wars 2
Gears of War Ultimate Edition
Gears of War 4
Cuphead
Voodoo Vince Remaster
Tacoma
State of Decay 2
Phantom Dust

And likely more I've missed.

People are overplaying this "issue".

Their output is ridiculously under repped whilst Sony's is largely over applauded, making these weekly fanboy threads pointless. If anyone has a truly great and consistent 1st party it's Nintendo, and even that would be pushing it.

But overall they are the weakest and need to do better. Not huge changes but one extra AAA and one top XBLA style game per year is needed. Plus ensure you get most of the bigger Japanese stuff. Much more than that is unrealistic and not worth discussing.

They have a good and varied lineup coming this year, one which you could also say the competition doesn't have an answer for. But meh whatever, it's good that the platforms have quite different games and services, otherwise it wouldn't be worth buying them all!

Iorv3th

Halo MCC
Halo 5
Sunset Overdrive
Quantum Break
Killer Instinct
Rare Replay
Forza Motorsport 5
Forza Motorsport 6
Forza Horizon 2
Forza Horizon 3
Sea of Thieves
Crackdown 3
ORI and the Blind Forest
Halo Wars 2
Gears of War 4
Cuphead
Voodoo Vince Remaster
Tacoma
State of Decay 2
Phantom Dust

Did you look at the list you posted? Most of those are Halo, Forza, and Gears.

Not to mention how terrible of a launch MCC had.

5 of those games are remakes or collections from past gens.

A few of those unreleased games may not even come out seeing as how even Fable Legends got canned.

Jumeira

Banned
Yeah, but that's what we thought in the last few years of the 360.
"They're saving all their games for Xbox One"

Instead we had fuck all games in the twilight 360 years and the Xbox One has been limping along since (a pretty decent) launch.
Pretty common with all new launches. Scorpio is a mid gen upgrade, so holding back for it doesn't mean progress isn't being made, the timing is key so expect all thier cards to be shown in July.

Phil Spencer is really great and getting hard-core gamers excited and never actually delivering

Xbox S, Scorpio, new initiatives and features, Xbox is in a far better position then it was, so that's not true.

If your mean games, then I wouldn't say he's not delivering, but definitely needs to do more.

Halo MCC
Halo 5

Sunset Overdrive
Quantum Break
Killer Instinct
Rare Replay
Forza Motorsport 5
Forza Motorsport 6
Forza Horizon 2
Forza Horizon 3

Sea of Thieves
Crackdown 3
ORI and the Blind Forest
Halo Wars 2
Gears of War 4

Cuphead
Voodoo Vince Remaster
Tacoma
State of Decay 2
Phantom Dust

when your own list is your worst enemy :) ...

Feorax

Halo MCC
Halo 5
Sunset Overdrive
Quantum Break
Killer Instinct
Rare Replay
Forza Motorsport 5
Forza Motorsport 6
Forza Horizon 2
Forza Horizon 3
Sea of Thieves
Crackdown 3
ORI and the Blind Forest
Halo Wars 2
Gears of War 4
Cuphead
Voodoo Vince Remaster
Tacoma
State of Decay 2
Phantom Dust

That's a fairly terrible list for a console that's been out since 2013, especially when you consider how all but 12 of those are Halo, Gears or Forza.

Dimorphic

That's a fairly terrible list for a console that's been out since 2013, especially when you consider how all but 12 of those are Halo, Gears or Forza.

I guess we'll agree to disagree. There are a heap of others I left off of the list and more to the point out of all of the "amazing" Sony exclusives I can count 6 max that are worthy of being a reason to own the console (for me).

I'm perfectly comfortable with where Microsoft are and where they are trending.

And for the record, I own a PS4 as well. I just overall prefer the Xbox platform.

Halo MCC
Halo 5
Sunset Overdrive
Quantum Break
Killer Instinct
Rare Replay
Forza Motorsport 5
Forza Motorsport 6
Forza Horizon 2
Forza Horizon 3
Sea of Thieves
Crackdown 3
ORI and the Blind Forest
Halo Wars 2
Gears of War 4
Cuphead
Voodoo Vince Remaster
Tacoma
State of Decay 2
Phantom Dust

Well you've missed the fact that Tacoma is only timed exclusive (like Inside and Below). I don't know why people always lump these games in as if they're first party games.

Jack cw

Halo MCC
Halo 5
Sunset Overdrive
Quantum Break
Killer Instinct
Rare Replay
Forza Motorsport 5
Forza Motorsport 6
Forza Horizon 2
Forza Horizon 3
Sea of Thieves
Crackdown 3
ORI and the Blind Forest
Halo Wars 2
Gears of War 4
Cuphead
Voodoo Vince Remaster
Tacoma
State of Decay 2
Phantom Dust

This list truly shows what the problem is with Microsofts first party output. Franchises that suffer from fatigue and loss of quality and creativity with no real new IPs that offer something fresh; the complete lack of Japanese games and the horrible UI made me regret buying this system.
And I'm coming from 360...

I guess we'll agree to disagree. There are a heap of others I left off of the list and more to the point out of all of the "amazing" Sony exclusives I can count 6 max that are worthy of being a reason to own the console (for me).

I'm perfectly comfortable with where Microsoft are and where they are trending.

And for the record, I own a PS4 as well. I just overall prefer the Xbox platform.

By all means, please list them.

NahaNago

Halo MCC
Halo 5
Sunset Overdrive
Quantum Break
Killer Instinct
Rare Replay
Forza Motorsport 5
Forza Motorsport 6
Forza Horizon 2
ORI and the Blind Forest
Halo Wars 2
Gears of War 4

like almost half of the game have not been released yet so i edited it to what it currently has right now. and now 8 out of the 13 games games are forza,halo, and gears.

Edit - Lists are frowned upon round these parts.

more to the point out of all of the "amazing" Sony exclusives I can count 6 max that are worthy of being a reason to own the console (for me).
The list you made does very little for me but I'm not going to use how I feel about it to say there is absolutely nothing on the Xbox or to try and diminish what it does have. It is fine if you feel there are only a few reasons to own a PS4 but that doesn't change the quantity and diversity of its lineup.

fantomena

And compare it to PS4: http://gematsu.com/exclusives/ps4/

The Xbox needs some new big fresh original AAA IPs and that fast. I recently sold my Xbone and invested in a Switch instead because 1) I don't really have much time to gaming these days 2) A lot of interesting Xbox exclusives are coming to PC (win10) as well 3) My Xbone hasn't been used in months due to the lack of games and that I play Xbox games on PC (I played Hroizon 3, Gearss 4 and recently Halo Wars 2 on PC).

Best racer

Best 3rd person cover shooter too. Unless there's something that's better than Gears 4 that I'm missing. I'd struggle to say they're on a decline too. 343 bottomed out with Halo 4 and I think it's clear that Halo 5 is more successful than halo 4. The last Gears before 4 was judgement. I'd say Gears 4 is more successful than judgement. If they can continue to build on that success they'll be fine. The only thing I think they're desperately missing is a big first party RPG. If there was a mass effect like RPG in the halo universe I think it would sell gangbusters. You can delve a lot deeper into the story in an RPG like that and when Halo story is done right it's real good. Just look at that hunt the truth arg from the Halo 5 launch. Such good writing.

scoobs

Xbox S, Scorpio, new initiatives and features, Xbox is in a far better position then it was, so that's not true.

He delivered on making two revisions to the console, like every other console ever made has in the last 20 years.

If your mean games, he definitely needs to do more.
Fixed that sentence for ya.

This quote is absolutely hysterical to me. We'll never see a strong 1st party from MS like we did in the 05-2010 years again. It'll only get worse from here on out.

scoobs

They've got good established IPs that are consistently at least OK, usually pretty good. They just need to make something new and exciting that isn't Gears Halo or Forza. Maybe have the Coalition create a new IP for ya... we can wait for Gears 5. Ultimately its going to have to come down to Spencer pulling the trigger on buying up an established studio and developing new IP for them, or continue paying for 3rd party exclusives/timed exclusives.

This quote is absolutely hysterical to me. We'll never see a strong 1st party from MS like we did in the 05-2010 years again. It'll only get worse from here on out.

i can assure you with 100% certainty, this won't become true
20 or some more years, and intelligent Programms will make games and the costs will go down significantly.

Just like Computer can already make Musik and Paintings ;)

Ok i don't know if this is a joke or a serious post anymore

mixture of both

tapedeck

Do I win a prize for talking about my penis on the Internet???
Can you private message me next weeks powerball numbers? I'll split it with you.

Halo MCC
Halo 5
Sunset Overdrive
Quantum Break
Killer Instinct
Rare Replay
Forza Motorsport 5
Forza Motorsport 6
Forza Horizon 2
Forza Horizon 3
Sea of Thieves
Crackdown 3
ORI and the Blind Forest
Halo Wars 2
Gears of War 4
Cuphead
Voodoo Vince Remaster
Tacoma
State of Decay 2
Phantom Dust

Damn.....that really puts things into perspective.

The criticisms people have had for Microsoft hasn't gotten much better and look like they will be valid for years to come.

Are people expecting more exclusives for the fall(or the year)?. I thought the concerns were about the years to come, as this year already has/had HW2, SoD 2, SoT, Crackdown 3 and Forza 7.
There has been a lot of discussions in other threads that MS usually release their first party games by the end of the year. :/

blakep267

I was anticipating games like Fable legends, Scalebound and Phantom dust, so hopefully they can deliver on bringing games that end up being good experiences.

Are people expecting more exclusives for the fall(or the year)?. I thought the concerns were about the years to come, as this year already has/had HW2, SoD 2, SoT, Crackdown 3 and Forza 7.
Not AAA exclusives, no. But smaller games yes

scoobs

For aguments sake, lets remove Halo, Gears, and Forza games then lets look at the quality of their exclusives this gen thus far and why people might be upset with Microsoft's output.
Sunset Overdrive (didn't do well for them, good game though)
Quantum Break (okay game, not great and didn't connect with an audience)
Killer Instinct (awesome)
Rare Replay (neat remasters but not exactly exciting)
Sea of Thieves (not out yet)
Crackdown 3 (not out yet)
ORI and the Blind Forest (awesome)
Cuphead (not out yet)
Voodoo Vince Remaster (not out yet)
Tacoma (not out yet)
State of Decay 2 (not out yet)
Phantom Dust (not out yet)

If you're in it solely for Halo, Gears, and Forza then you'll be happy with this list. But those of us that may be having a slight case of sequelitis are having a hard time getting excited for this list of games.

i can assure you with 100% certainty, this won't become true
20 or some more year, and intelligent Programms will make games and the costs will go down significantly.

Just like Computer can already make Musik and Paintings ;)
Ok i don't know if this is a joke or a serious post anymore

Rodelero

adding that having those first-party games ready for Scorpio's launch is also critical

Not as critical as ensuring that the exclusives released on Microsoft's platforms are actually finished products, and that they are released at a time which gives them a chance of success. Microsoft have sent out so many games to die this generation, and if history can teach us anything, it's that Microsoft learn the wrong lessons from everything.

KAL2006

Banned
Microsoft is missing 2 key things

First party studios
Sony has Guerilla Games, Naughty Dog, Polyphonic, Sony Japan, Bend, Sucker Punch, Santa Monica, Media Molecule and partnerships with the likes of From Software and Quantic Dreams. Not only do Sony pump out their main IPs like Uncharted, but they allow their studios to grow and create new IPs, this is how good games like Uncharted were born in the first place. This generation we had Bloodborne and Horizon already. People hated on Guerilla after Killzone games were panned, but Sony gave invested into the studio and allowed them to create something new. Of course there have been misses with games like The Order. But we have had games like Until Dawn, Gravity Rush, The Last Guardian and Horizon which were all decent. Experimentation is good and allows new IPs to be born. Unfortunately MS didn't invest in first party studios, they wanted Bungie to make Halo forever and list out on one of the biggest IPs Destiny this gen as a exclusive. They canceled Scalebound and the games they released were substandard such as ReCore. Sunset Overdrive, Killer Instince and Quantum Break were a good start but they dropped off.

Japan Games
Sony gets free exclusives from Japan, with games like Yakuza and Nier. Unfortunately this is something MS can't really do anything about, they tried hard with 360 by investing into Japan, but the core userbase is the western audience.

Because of the above 2 things i don't think MS has a chance in hell to compete with Sony in terms of exclusives. They can announce the next Halo, Forza and even the expected Crackdown which supposed to release ages ago. Let's out things into perspective one E3 MS had a amazing E3 with Phil being one of us, and telling us it's about games. They showed Crackdown, ReCore, Halo, Forza, Scalebound, Phantom Dust, Fable Legends and etc. Halo released but didn't light the world on fire, Forza was great, Fable Legends, Scalebound, Phantom Dust all got canceled. And ReCore wasn't a good game. Looks like that E3 was a hustle and the reality is MS does not want to invest in first party games.

Outrun

best for who ? maybe last gen but their ip's arent best at anything this gen

Wow...

To discount the same excellence of Halo 5 mp, FM6, FH3, Gears 4, Halo Wars 2, Ori, takes a special sort of skill.

This does not discount MS need for more games.

But wow... They ain't the best at Anything?

Microsoft is missing 2 key things

First party studios
Sony has Guerilla Games, Naughty Dog, Polyphonic, Sony Japan, Bend, Sucker Punch, Santa Monica, Media Molecule and partnerships with the likes of From Software and Quantic Dreams. Not only do Sony pump out their main IPs like Uncharted, but they allow their studios to grow and create new IPs, this is how good games like Uncharted were born in the first place. This generation we had Bloodborne and Horizon already. People hated on Guerilla after Killzone games were panned, but Sony gave invested into the studio and allowed them to create something new. Of course there have been misses with games like The Order. But we have had games like Until Dawn, Gravity Rush, The Last Guardian and Horizon which were all decent. Experimentation is good and allows new IPs to be born. Unfortunately MS didn't invest in first party studios, they wanted Bungie to make Halo forever and list out on one of the biggest IPs Destiny this gen as a exclusive. They canceled Scalebound and the games they released were substandard such as ReCore. Sunset Overdrive, Killer Instince and Quantum Break were a good start but they dropped off.

Japan Games
Sony gets free exclusives from Japan, with games like Yakuza and Nier. Unfortunately this is something MS can't really do anything about, they tried hard with 360 by investing into Japan, but the core userbase is the western audience.

Because of the above 2 things i don't think MS has a chance in hell to compete with Sony in terms of exclusives. They can announce the next Halo, Forza and even the expected Crackdown which supposed to release ages ago. Let's out things into perspective one E3 MS had a amazing E3 with Phil being one of us, and telling us it's about games. They showed Crackdown, ReCore, Halo, Forza, Scalebound, Phantom Dust, Fable Legends and etc. Halo released but didn't light the world on fire, Forza was great, Fable Legends, Scalebound, Phantom Dust all got canceled. And ReCore wasn't a good game. Looks like that E3 was a hustle and the reality is MS does not want to invest in first party games.
Recore was awesome! best exclusive they have had to me. The play anywhere thing was a bonus. Ran awesome on my pc

I'd be surprised if Halo still keeps it place as a a premier console FPS IP with Destiny 2 coming out.

Seriously. The Destiny IP really looks like it will be THE fps on consoles. And I'm saying this by someone who didn't really got into it in the end.

What's the average numbers for Halo 5 mp now though? And other MP offerings from MS.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom