• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox first-party is "critical" for Scorpio, says Spencer (Gamesindustry.biz)

Status
Not open for further replies.
And now that backfired, if you see the exclusives from microsoft that is posted on the top of this page from 14 exclusives that are already out nine are from the gears/halo/forza franchises, if you are a fan of those games great Xbox is for you but if you have no interest at all and want variety the what can you buy?

You make it sound like that's new. Take out Fable and it really wasn't much difference from the 360 in terms of IP that sold millions and console for MS; It was all about HALO III and Gears. This place just cracks me up, its like the One isn't selling and retail and developers can't make money off the system and its some sort of flop, when the system sold near 30 million units and is on coruse to sell more units than the likes of Sega Mega Drive, N64 Ect .

Even in the 360 era MS In-House line up was nothing to SONY, MS saw fit to lose IP like Mass Effect, Ninja Gaiden, Lost Planet to the PS3. MS messed up with its focus on Kinect and spending so much money and effort on the unit, but that's done now . MS just need to keep up the good and hard work they're doing on the system tools, its front end and also show some faith in new IP like Recore and not give up after one game and also like with the 360, XBox step in to fund some more Japanese development and get the likes of Shenmue III on the system and would love to see MS work with SEGA and FromSoftware more.

killatopak

You make it sound like that's new. Take out Fable and it really wasn't much difference from the 360 in terms of IP that sold millions and console for MS; It was all about HALO III and Gears. This place just cracks me up, its like the One isn't selling and retail and developers can't make money off the system and its some sort of flop, when the system sold near 30 million units and is on coruse to sell more units than the likes of Sega Mega Drive, N64 Ect .

Even in the 360 era MS In-House line up was nothing to SONY, MS saw fit to lose IP like Mass Effect, Ninja Gaiden, Lost Planet to the PS3. MS messed up with its focus on Kinect and spending so much money and effort on the unit, but that's done now . MS just need to keep up the good and hard work they're doing on the system tools, its front end and also show some faith in new IP like Recore and not give up after one game and also like with the 360, XBox step in to fund some more Japanese development and get the likes of Shenmue III on the system and would love to see MS work with SEGA and FromSoftware more.

It's like you're forgetting why people bought an xbox versus other consoles.

Xbox was the best place for third parties and is cheaper than competion. 1st party were gravy. Now that they are more expensive and weaker as well, what else do they have to fall on besides first party?

It's like you're forgetting why people bought an xbox versus other consoles.
/QUOTE]

I went for a XBox for SEGA myself, but also liked the fact that MS always had the better GPU than SONY, that changed with the focus on Kinect and cost MS dear with the One GPU. MS is putting that part right now.
Also to me MS got the much better joypad, the better dash and front end and better online, but I like my PS4 for SONY In-House output

Don't know what you mean by cheaper , the XBox wasn't cheaper than the Cube or Dreamcast .

killatopak

I went for a XBox for SEGA myself, but also liked the fact that MS always had the better GPU than SONY, that changed with the focus on Kinect and cost MS dear with the One GPU. MS is putting that part right now.
Also to me MS got the much better joypad, the better dash and front end and better online, but I like my PS4 for SONY In-House output

Don't know what you mean by cheaper , the XBox wasn't cheaper than the Cube or Dreamcast .
360 was cheaper than "get a 2nd job" ps3.

Lemondish

Well that original business plan went flying out the window days before it launched, so I imagine all that time and money was put elsewhere, on anything but games. Imagine if the kinect budget went into games for starters.

Imagine if the Minecraft budget went into funding multiple first party titles.

TLZ

Banned
True, but also the 360 had terrible reliability. To me the 360 did so well thanks to its fab GPU and it had a big head start, MS started to mess up with Kinect and having brain dead tools like Kudo Tsunoda call the shots
What's this guy's real name?

KAL2006

Banned
Id also like to add. Although Sony pump out Uncharted like Microsoft pump out Halo. Look at tue sales trajectory. Halo sales are in a decline. Uncharted sales are going up oer new game released. Also Unvharted 4 got a few GotY it was also GAFs GotY. Halo 5 has a mixed reception on GAF. When Gears 4 was first shown, the reception was *yawn*. When God of War for PS4 was first shown, the reception was *damn that looks fresh*.

So not only is killing it with their existing IPs, and there is hyoe behind there existng IPs, MS IPs are on a decline except for Forza. After underperforming Killzone 3 and Shadowfall Sony killed the Killzone IP and released Horizon. MS could learn a few things from Sony. Even when Unvharted was doing great Naughty Dog made The Last of Us. What does Microsoft do, well they try force Bungie to pump out Halo games, so Bungie leave and make Destiny which sells more on PS4, they could have had a great new IP if they let Bunggie spread their wings. Then they waste their money and buy Gears IP and get a new talented studio who was meant to make a new IP to male more Gears.

KAOz

Short bus special
Imagine if the Minecraft budget went into funding multiple first party titles.

To be fair, I dont think the buying of Minecraft even dented MS Gaming Division's budget, since that division had nothing to do with the aqusition at all. It was Microsoft as an entity that bought Minecraft.

KAL2006

Banned
To one of the above posters who said it doesnt make sense businesswise to invest in specific first party games

Busineswise

It doesnt make sense to allow Naughty Dog to make The Last of Us over Uncharted after thr success of 2 and 3.

It doesnt make sense to not pull the plug on The Last Guardian.

It doesnt make sense to make Gravity Rush 2

It doesnt make sense to publish Nioh in the west.

It doesnt make sense to invest in Guerialla Games and release Horizon after Killzone 3 and Shadowfall duds.

It doesnt make sense to not release Gran Turismo at a faster pace.

What sort of fanboy nonsense is that ?

To be fair, forking the GT franchise the way Forza or CoD is handled would probably generate some serious bank for Sony. I wonder what would have happened if Driveclub had been marketed as "Gran Turismo: Driveclub" or something of the like instead.

Then again, I don't think Kaz would have been on-board with that.

Fredrik

Id also like to add. Although Sony pump out Uncharted like Microsoft pump out Halo. Look at tue sales trajectory. Halo sales are in a decline. Uncharted sales are going up oer new game released. Also Unvharted 4 got a few GotY it was also GAFs GotY. Halo 5 has a mixed reception on GAF. When Gears 4 was first shown, the reception was *yawn*. When God of War for PS4 was first shown, the reception was *damn that looks fresh*.

So not only is killing it with their existing IPs, and there is hyoe behind there existng IPs, MS IPs are on a decline except for Forza. After underperforming Killzone 3 and Shadowfall Sony killed the Killzone IP and released Horizon. MS could learn a few things from Sony. Even when Unvharted was doing great Naughty Dog made The Last of Us. What does Microsoft do, well they try force Bungie to pump out Halo games, so Bungie leave and make Destiny which sells more on PS4, they could have had a great new IP if they let Bunggie spread their wings. Then they waste their money and buy Gears IP and get a new talented studio who was meant to make a new IP to male more Gears.
Honestly I don't think there is any problems with the IPs.
I mean is Zelda BOTW bad since we've seen the IP sooo many times before?
- Not again! Not another Zelda! Give me something new!
:p

I think Nintendo has showed perfectly that it's never a problem to keep using an old IP as long as the games are great.

The Forza Horizon serie has showed that MS understand this too, same but different, many now consider FH3 as the best racer of the generation.

Now they just need to do the same with Halo and Gears. Keep the original series intact but use a spinoff serie to change up the formula.

They should just go nuts, a Halo spinoff featuring Master Chief and Cortana in a 2.5D Super Metroid type of game made by the Ori devs. Something crazy like that.
Or just swap the dev teams and IPs and make Halo third-person cover-based and Gears of War first-person fast-paced.
Or make a boot-camp training center Halo game with lots of different competitive courses, racing with different vehicles, shooting practice, traversal catch the flag, etc. The possibilities are endless really.

RexNovis

Banned
Honestly I don't think there is any problems with the IPs.
I mean is Zelda BOTW bad since we've seen the IP sooo many times before?
- Not again! Not another Zelda! Give me something new!
:p

I think Nintendo has showed perfectly that it's never a problem to keep using an old IP as long as the games are great.

The Forza Horizon serie has showed that MS understand this too, same but different, many now consider FH3 as the best racer of the generation.

Now they just need to do the same with Halo and Gears. Keep the original series intact but use a spinoff serie to change up the formula.

They should just go nuts, a Halo spinoff featuring Master Chief and Cortana in a 2.5D Super Metroid type of game made by the Ori devs. Something crazy like that.
Or just swap the dev teams and IPs and make Halo third-person cover-based and Gears of War first-person fast-paced.
Or make a boot-camp training center Halo game with lots of different competitive courses, racing with different vehicles, shooting practice, traversal catch the flag, etc. The possibilities are endless really.

I think the reason Nintendo's IPs have remained relevant has more to do with their willingness to reinvent them or use them in new and unexpected ways. This combined with a consistent level of quality is the ticket imo.

I think the same can be said of the Forza Horizon series: it spun off of the base series by offering something new and unique to the franchise and has established a reputation for excellent quality. As a result it has become increasingly more and more popular. I just wish MS was more open to doing similar things with their other IPs as I think it'd go a long way in reducing the current franchise fatigue that many fans are feeling with them.

To be fair, forking the GT franchise the way Forza or CoD is handled would probably generate some serious bank for Sony. I wonder what would have happened if Driveclub had been marketed as "Gran Turismo: Driveclub" or something of the like instead.

Then again, I don't think Kaz would have been on-board with that.

Evolution studios actually wanted to do exactly that but Polyphony said no and Sony respected their wishes on the matter. Regardless of how the game ended up being with the way the release went down and the toxicity surrounding it it seems like they made the right call.

New meme incoming lol

If he only he had misspelled it as "Scrapio" instead. Get it? Like Scrap?... Yea I'll stick to my day job.

Spaghetti

What the hell. That sucks but let's be honest, how great is this game gonna sell? We all know it won't be some big seller and MS knows this too. It sucks for us gamers with only an Xbox One that would love to have the game though.
There are a few reasons why the "sales" argument doesn't hold water here:

• Sales shouldn't be the only metric on which these decisions are determined. Niche content adds overall value to the platform by catering to a broad range of tastes. A modest success is still a success.
  • Spencer & co had access to the same data about demand for Shenmue III that made Sony enthusiastic about offering a better deal for the game.
And most importantly:

• Sony ultimately only offered a publishing and marketing deal for a PS4 version of Shenmue III. The game's non-Kickstarter majority funding source is Shibuya Productions, who are taking the bulk of the financial risk on the project.
It all really speaks poorly towards Microsoft on software. Lip service was paid to the fans of a series with legacy on their platform, but they didn't step up when the opportunity to bring it back happened. It's pretty much why I consider anything out of Phil Spencer to be just hot air.

leeh

Evolution studios actually wanted to do exactly that but Polyphony said no and Sony respected their wishes on the matter. Regardless of how the game ended up being with the way the release went down and the toxicity surrounding it it seems like they made the right call.
You could look at that in a different view and say if Polyphony agreed, and shared a lot with Evolution, it may of avoided the toxicity to begin with.

RexNovis

Banned
You could look at that in a different view and say if Polyphony agreed, and shared a lot with Evolution, it may of avoided the toxicity to begin with.

Nah. They would've rightly received a lot of backlash for the state the game was released in regardless. They launched with a core part of the games design not functioning. It's the same reason Diablo 3 amd MCC got so much flak when they released despite the brand power behind them or even just recently as we saw with ME:A. Gamers don't like buying broken/glitchy SW regardless of the name on the box.

To be fair, forking the GT franchise the way Forza or CoD is handled would probably generate some serious bank for Sony..

Let's be clear about it . GT Sport was delayed because the studio was behind and missed it dates, that the real reason and we still haven't got a ship date for Sport

Polyphony Digital has seen Turn 10 not only become a much better racing sim developer, but also a much better run studio too

I think the reason Nintendo's IPs have remained relevant has more to do with their willingness to reinvent them or use them in new and unexpected ways. This combined with a consistent level of quality is the ticket imo.

I think the same can be said of the Forza Horizon series: it spun off of the base series by offering something new and unique to the franchise and has established a reputation for excellent quality. As a result it has become increasingly more and more popular. I just wish MS was more open to doing similar things with their other IPs as I think it'd go a long way in reducing the current franchise fatigue that many fans are feeling with them.

Nintendo also doesn't milk the shit out of their IPs. Series like Mario Kart and Smash Bros get one installment for an entire generation, while major Mario and Zelda installments are pretty spaced out too.

leeh

Nah. They would've rightly received a lot of backlash for the state the game was released in regardless. They launched with a core part of the games design not functioning. It's the same reason Diablo 3 amd MCC got so much flak when they released despite the brand power behind them or even just recently as we saw with ME:A. Gamers don't like buying broken/glitchy SW regardless of the name on the box.
The main reason Forza Horizon was successful was due to it taking Motorsports already established engine and physics and re-worked them for arcade purposes. If Evolution had the same advantage by turning Gran Turismo into an corridor racer, they could of made something really special.

That's what I was referring to before.

RexNovis

Banned
Nintendo also doesn't milk the shit out of their IPs. Series like Mario Kart and Smash Bros get one installment for an entire generation, while major Mario and Zelda installments are pretty spaced out too.

While true for mainline entries they do tend to have lots of spin offs i.e. The Mario Party/sports games and things like Mario Maker and Captain Todd. The difference is that each of these different titles tend to be fairly unique offering something entirely different from the core franchise associated with those IPs so it doesn't feel so stale.

The closest analogy we have from MS is Halo Wars but that didn't seem to resonate with the console audience well at all. MS certainly relies much more heavily on more core iterations on their IPs as opposed to Nintendo's reliance on a variety of different experiences with their characters/IPs and I'd argue that's a big part of the reason why MS' core franchises feel so fatigued for so many.

I genuinely wonder how many weekly threads we get like this in the run up to E3. I would imagine quite a few.

Who knows. One way to tell would be to check just how many times you thread whine between now and then. Something tells me going by recent threads that they'll correlate pretty closely.

I think that's more to do that's all NCL is able to output. NCL milk their IP far too much, at least both SONY and MS do give us new IP with each gen of consoles.

D

Deleted member 125677

Unconfirmed Member
jesus christ.

list wars, console war turdery, name calling, the works.

please try to behave better or we'll bring our flame throwers to the next ms/sony shitfest thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom