• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox first-party is "critical" for Scorpio, says Spencer (Gamesindustry.biz)

Status
Not open for further replies.
What the hell. That sucks but let's be honest, how great is this game gonna sell? We all know it won't be some big seller and MS knows this too. It sucks for us gamers with only an Xbox One that would love to have the game though.

Who cares about how much it's gonna sell? People want it or it wouldn't have been a thing. Some were crying tears over this game being made.. hell I got a lil misty.

If MS are trying to find endearment to the Xbox brand, lil stuff like Shenmue 3 goes a long way. Otherwise, you get stuff like e3 2015. ...It like they wasn't even there, lol.

Anticol

Banned
What the hell. That sucks but let's be honest, how great is this game gonna sell? We all know it won't be some big seller and MS knows this too. It sucks for us gamers with only an Xbox One that would love to have the game though.

Then there it is your answer, why would MS try to make new ips and in different genres if they wont seel as good as halo or gears, what's their motivation?

Crayon

These games that sell in small amounts seem like they may be important. Maybe maybe not. In music and movies, there are low selling or financially unsuccessful works that end up being important.

Shpeshal Nick

aka Collingwood
Halo 5
Sunset Overdrive
Quantum Break
Killer Instinct
Forza Motorsport 5
Forza Motorsport 6
Forza Horizon 2
Forza Horizon 3
Sea of Thieves
Crackdown 3
Halo Wars 2
Gears of War 4
State of Decay 2

What a terrible list

First of all i have removed the ports and even then Sony has more such as Beyond, Heavy Rain, Unvharted Collection, Gravity Rush, Kingdom Hearts, Final Fantasy X and XII, Tearaway, WipEout, im gonna stop now or else ill carry on forever. To top it all off none of them are garbage like Halo MCC.

Ive removed the indie games, and again Sony has way more exclusive indie games. I dont wajt to even get started with a list becuase it would take me forever.

But lets compare the retail exclusives, im not listing garbage likr The Order or Killzone Shadowfall

Uncharted 4
inFamous Second Son
Nino Kuni 2
Nier Automata
Yakuza 0
Last of Us Part 2
Dreams
The Last Guardian
Gravity Rush 2
Persona 5
Final Fantasy VII Remake
Days Gone
Spiderman
Yakuza 6
Bloodborne
Dragon Quest XII
Knack 2
Death Stranding
Gran Turismo Sport
Until Dawn
Shenmue 3
Nioh
Street Fighter V
Ratchet and Clank
Horizon
God of War

Im too lazy to list super niche stuff like Tales of Berseria, King of Fughters and Guilty Gear Xrd etc. Or else the list would be too long.

I know people hate list wars bit seriosily compare the list not only Sony kills microsoft in quantity, but in quality as well as diversity. This is only thr retail sector, in the remaster and indie line up Sony offer more as well.

How are we still doing these agenda driven fanboy lists in 2017?

I mean, you've ignored so many games on Xbox it's beyond ridiculous.

Betty

Banned
How are we still doing these agenda driven fanboy lists in 2017?

I mean, you've ignored so many games on Xbox it's beyond ridiculous.

You really want a more complete list that includes these?

Dead Rising 3
Dead Rising 4
Ryse : Son of Rome
Halo : The Master Chief Collection
Recore
Kinect Sports Rivals
Project Spark

There were a few okay ones I guess

Rare Repay (major let down for me personally)
Titanfall

Miles X

Halo 5
Sunset Overdrive
Quantum Break
Killer Instinct
Forza Motorsport 5
Forza Motorsport 6
Forza Horizon 2
Forza Horizon 3
Sea of Thieves
Crackdown 3
Halo Wars 2
Gears of War 4
State of Decay 2

What a terrible list

First of all i have removed the ports and even then Sony has more such as Beyond, Heavy Rain, Unvharted Collection, Gravity Rush, Kingdom Hearts, Final Fantasy X and XII, Tearaway, WipEout, im gonna stop now or else ill carry on forever. To top it all off none of them are garbage like Halo MCC.

Ive removed the indie games, and again Sony has way more exclusive indie games. I dont wajt to even get started with a list becuase it would take me forever.

But lets compare the retail exclusives, im not listing garbage likr The Order or Killzone Shadowfall

Uncharted 4
inFamous Second Son
Nino Kuni 2
Nier Automata
Yakuza 0
Last of Us Part 2
Dreams
The Last Guardian
Gravity Rush 2
Persona 5
Final Fantasy VII Remake
Days Gone
Spiderman
Yakuza 6
Bloodborne
Dragon Quest XII
Knack 2
Death Stranding
Gran Turismo Sport
Until Dawn
Shenmue 3
Nioh
Street Fighter V
Ratchet and Clank
Horizon
God of War

Im too lazy to list super niche stuff like Tales of Berseria, King of Fughters and Guilty Gear Xrd etc. Or else the list would be too long.

I know people hate list wars bit seriosily compare the list not only Sony kills microsoft in quantity, but in quality as well as diversity. This is only thr retail sector, in the remaster and indie line up Sony offer more as well.

Still doing ridiculous list wars all these years on? Sad!

TLZ

Banned
Look how they helped sell the WiiU!!!
They actually did. If the Wii u didn't have these games it would've died a horrible death.

The Wii u 1p games weren't its issue. The forced gamepad that was hardly used and added a lot to the cost plus the name many people thinking it's a Wii add on.

If the Xbox didn't drop the kinect and the $100 it would've almost faced the same fate as the Wii u just for the forced kinect alone.

Fisty

Ground rules, are we not counting any third party games, if so why?

Being able to play the worst looking or performing versions of 3rd party games isn't exactly something you can hang your hat on. You need a variety of good exclusives at a relatively steady pace.

down from 2.5 million last year
last year had crowdfunding via packs, this year MS got greedy

all this while more different payed reqpacks were released. even several esport team packs

Or more like they lost a lot of players and potential microtransaction money. Not really surprising that the price pool got lower.

They actually did. If the Wii u didn't have these games it would've died a horrible death.

The Wii u 1p games weren't its issue. The forced gamepad that was hardly used and added a lot to the cost plus the name many people thinking it's a Wii add on.

If the Xbox didn't drop the kinect and the $100 it would've almost faced the same fate as the Wii u just for the forced kinect alone.
Nintendo lives mainly off of Mario and Zelda just like Xbox primarily lives off of Halo, Gears, and Forza. The audiences for these consoles will exist as long as these games do. Yes. It would be nice to have all those little niche games available for xbox right now as well, but the constant doom xbox threads are getting ridiculous. The games will come. Xbox has shown that before. The first year or two of ps4 wasnt great either and they still sold like crazy. No reason to think Scorpio wont sell well as the best console to play 3rd party games until those MS exclusives start coming.

statham

Being able to play the worst looking or performing versions of 3rd party games isn't exactly something you can hang your hat on. You need a variety of good exclusives at a relatively steady pace.

so the first part changes with, wait for it. wait.. still wait.

scoprio.

Electret

Really hope MS can pick themselves up when it comes to that because even though we don't have the exact numbers for Gears 4, if it had done incredibly well I bet they would have screamed it off the rooftops. How did Halo 5 do?.

Gears debuted less than Judgment in the US and had the worst debut in the series in the UK. Pretty big decline, to be honest.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1316580&highlight=october+npd&page=16
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1295041&highlight=pal&page=2

H5 debuted with a big drop from H4 as well. All we have for current figures is "5 million" from stinkles.

Both series are in significant decline and are attempting to make up for reduced unit sales with increased microtransaction profitability. That's nice and all, but if I were them I'd be searching hard for a new IP or two that can take the reigns from Halo and Gears, as I don't think it's reasonable to expect either H6 or G5 to break the downward trend.

Or more like they lost a lot of players and potential microtransaction money. Not really surprising that the price pool got lower.

the 1 million base price pool was a given and the same like last year
just this year, there is not crowdfunding at all.

That's like The International would go back to a 1.6 million price pool

TLZ

Banned
Ground rules, are we not counting any third party games, if so why?

I have SO MANY games to play it's ridiculous.

Aren't we talking about 1p games? This is my issue with it. What many 1p games does it have?

I've got these:
Sunset overdrive
Ryse
Dead rising 3
Forza horizon 2
Gears of war ultimate edition
Halo master chief collection
Halo 5
Rare replay

I'm yet to buy quantum and recore (even though recore looks disappointing).

What else?

Edit: I also have killer instinct and project spark digitally and these were free.

Fisty

so the first part changes with, wait for it. wait.. still wait.

scoprio.

And that only makes it the second best place to play 3rd party games lol

But really though, I posted that just hoping you would say that sweet word. Good job with the juke on the second part of my post though

Figments

But really though, I posted that just hoping you would say that sweet word. Good job with the juke on the second part of my post though

The second "part"--sentence, really--of your post was an extension of the first "part". It's an "if and only if" kind of statement (maybe a "so it must be" instead...) that can't be considered on its own within the context you have established.

So.

By contrast Sony has a killer first party and more coming with God of war Reboot, last of us 2, gran turismo sport, Spider-Man, horizon zero dawn, days gone, Detroit, and its no wonder ppl prefer PS4. So many high profile single player story driven games and the return of gt.

First god of war, gt and last of us in 3-4 years. Meanwhile Xbox one has already had like 5 forzas, 2-3 different halo games and multiple gears releases in just 3 years.

Xbox does have good games but nothing that ever turns into fun exciting new franchises like Sony does. That's their biggest problem to me.

Not so sure you are not just making an excuse because you left yourself wide open for that, but nice try.

On topic only a minority percentage of Xbox purchases will be Scorpio so technically it will have best console version and the worst, but most Xbox owners will be playing the worst version. More powerful hardware also does nothing to solve the exclusive games issue which is the biggest problem.

Fisty

Hey if you guys are fine with 3rd party and Halo/Gears/Forza, by all means have fun. Don't ask questions and try to place blame elsewhere when Xbox sales aren't up to expectations and Scorpio fails to move the needle by any appreciable measure

W.S.

I'm yet to buy quantum and recore (even though recore looks disappointing).
Not sure where your tastes lie but QB for me was a great game, was on sale not too long ago but I'd recommend that one if it's $20-30 again.

ReCore is good too (IMO) but might as well wait for definitive edition.

As for your question I still have games from the holiday season that I either barely started (Halo Wars 2), have to clean up achievement wise (Gears 4), get more play time with (FH3 + Blizzard Mountain), or continue with after rest of DLC comes out (ReCore). I have both Ori editions as backlog & Forza 6 but those are older obviously.

3rd party wise still have FF XV, CoD: IW, Dishonored 2, Battlefield 1, Dark Souls 3, Styx: Shards of Darkness, both Titanfalls, & shit ton of indies to either finish or rack up more achievements with as well.

Hey if you guys are fine with 3rd party and Halo/Gears/Forza, by all means have fun. Don't ask questions and try to place blame elsewhere when Xbox sales aren't up to expectations and Scorpio fails to move the needle by any appreciable measure

Seeing as Xbox only fans are a lil more hungrier for power than regular PS4 folk.. I could see good sales for Scorpio. Especially if it goes $399. I'm thinking $499 tho.

The questions have been asked and answered, so now we wait to see them transpire. It does take time to develop games, ya know, and this year has a bit of a lull.

Some of these threads have gotten to the point of the annoying child tugging on moms coat saying mom,mom,mom,mom,mommy,mommy,mommy,mommy,ma,ma,ma,ma,ma, mother,mother,mother,mother...Yes, we all get it. You want attention. 🙄

First impressions matter and that is what happened to Xbox. Shitty reveal and shitty options for consumers. "Kinect is part of XboxOne" and so on... yeah.

But still xbox has games coming this fall/winter that arent Halo and Gears can we stop ignoring this?

Dont get the logic that people praise Sony for another Uncharted, Last of Us etc. Microsoft has games too if you like them or not.

blakep267

But your acting as if games are the reason for Sonys success. When the answer is more likely having a stronger global brand and a great price. MS could release 15 great exclusives and that still wouldn't stop PS4 sales. Because they have a stronger global presence.

You can't try to have people take your post seriously and then post the whole "Halo/Gears/Forza" thing.

D

Deleted member 471617

Unconfirmed Member
Quantum Break is currently $20/$16 GCU and ReCore is $15/$12 GCU at Best Buy until they update their site tonight.

TLZ

Banned
Not sure where your tastes lie but QB for me was a great game, was on sale not too long ago but I'd recommend that one if it's $20-30 again.

ReCore is good too (IMO) but might as well wait for definitive edition.

As for your question I still have games from the holiday season that I either barely started (Halo Wars 2), have to clean up achievement wise (Gears 4), get more play time with (FH3 + Blizzard Mountain), or continue with after rest of DLC comes out (ReCore). I have both Ori editions as backlog & Forza 6 but those are older obviously.

3rd party wise still have FF XV, CoD: IW, Dishonored 2, Battlefield 1, Dark Souls 3, Styx: Shards of Darkness, both Titanfalls, & shit ton of indies to either finish or rack up more achievements with as well.

Yea I've been waiting for a price drop for quantum as it looks interesting to me. Recore I was looking forward to from the reveal, but after watching some videos something turned me off a bit. I'm still buying it later though when price drops.

Scalebound I was REALLY looking forward to but we know how that went :(

So I'm just waiting for crackdown 3 as I'm a fan of the series and it's been taking long.

But how can you make such a stupid claim while ignoring the other quality games that have come out or are coming out? Have you seen Sunset Overdrive or Ori and the Blind Forest? They're really fantastic games, like surprisingly fantastic. Ryse was a good game too, albeit a bit linear.

It just pisses me off to no end to have to constantly hear people throw out that stupid tiresome claim that xbox is nothing more than gears halo forza. Bull. Shit. look at what has come out on the xbox one and stop spouting borrowed phrases from morons. Titanfall anyone? Oh look Quantum Break and Recore. State of Decay? What's that on the horizon? Sea of Thieves? Oh look Crackdown 3. there has been one, ONE, main line halo game for the xbox one: halo 5. TMCC was a remaster. Halo Wars 2 is a completely different genre! So gtfo with that nonsense. Gears has had a collectors edition remaster with one mainline new entry: Gears 4. WOOOOOO!!! Please don't wear me out with all those halo and gears games -_-

Since when has one main line entry of a game on a console in the span of one generation been too much? It's like i've gone to pyschoville or something. The only game that has had multiple iterations is forza. And no one but the xbox haters seem to care that there have been multiple games for it.

But i digress, xbox one is just forza gears halo. please... everybody just stahp.

And don't throw the PS4 list of exclusive games in my face either. i'm not comparing the two, just saying there are plenty of quality games on the xbox one that don't have the name halo/forza/gears in the title.
The questions have been asked and answered, so now we wait to see them transpire. It does take time to develop games, ya know, and this year has a bit of a lull.

Some of these threads have gotten to the point of the annoying child tugging on moms coat saying mom,mom,mom,mom,mommy,mommy,mommy,mommy,ma,ma,ma,ma,ma, mother,mother,mother,mother...Yes, we all get it. You want attention. 🙄
Yep. every. single. xbox. thread.

First impressions matter and that is what happened to Xbox. Shitty reveal and shitty options for consumers. "Kinect is part of XboxOne" and so on... yeah.

But still xbox has games coming this fall/winter that arent Halo and Gears can we stop ignoring this?

Dont get the logic that people praise Sony for another Uncharted, Last of Us etc. Microsoft has games too if you like them or not.
that's another thing that blows my mind. it's like people forgot that the xbox one fell flat on its face before it was even released. That has massively affected hardware sales, which has had a domino effect in everything else. This isn't rocket science or some mystery. People keep pointing to the ps4 and being like, look look look, games. Yeah no shit. Thats a big fat duh.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom