• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox first-party is "critical" for Scorpio, says Spencer (Gamesindustry.biz)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Outrun

Metacritic and sales disagree

Edit: i don't disagree it maybe good for.you. But critically and sales it wasn't good.

I am a little confused.

Do people want new IP? Or new critically praised IP? Or best selling new IP?

I feel like the standards keep on changing in order to slate MS.

Once again, I agree that their output needs to increase. But the discounting of Recore, SSO, QB, Ori, is a little sad.

Honestly I don't get the exclusive games fear that people have for Microsoft.

Halo MCC
Halo 5
Sunset Overdrive
Quantum Break
Killer Instinct
Rare Replay
Forza Motorsport 5
Forza Motorsport 6
Forza Horizon 2
Forza Horizon 3
Sea of Thieves
Crackdown 3
ORI and the Blind Forest
Halo Wars 2
Gears of War Ultimate Edition
Gears of War 4
Cuphead
Voodoo Vince Remaster
Tacoma
State of Decay 2
Phantom Dust

And likely more I've missed.

People are overplaying this "issue".

notice the "issue"?

Apathy

I'd be surprised if Halo still keeps it place as a a premier console FPS IP with Destiny 2 coming out.

Seriously. The Destiny IP really looks like it will be THE fps on consoles. And I'm saying this by someone who didn't really got into it in the end.

What's the average numbers for Halo 5 mp now though? And other MP offerings from MS.
Halo hasn't been THE fps on consoles for a long time. Have you forgotten cod?

I am a little confused.

Once again, I agree that their output needs to increase. But the discounting of Recore, SSO, QB, Ori, is a little sad.
What's wrong with a game being all three? It's happened multiple times this gen.

I am a little confused.

I'd imagine people want good new IPs, not crap ones. Just a hunch. And hopefully if they are good enough, sales will follow. Also confidence in the IP. Dont just give up on it if the sales are low and it's been well received after one entry to go back to Halo again.

KAL2006

Banned
I am a little confused.

It's a mix of all of those

People want games that diversify the line uo, perhaps don't sell amazingly but gives them street cred. Games like Yakuza, Nier, Nino Kino 2, Gravity Rush 2, The Last Guardian are the ones that give Sony street cred. Although some of these games are not high up on metacritic, they are not really low like the likes of ReCore.

Then we also need fresh IPs that can become the next big thing. Sony has Bloodborne and Horizon. They are also reinventing God of War, releasing Days Gone, Dreams and etc. Sony takes risks, some fail with the likes of The Order, but many times they invest into their studios, Naughty Dog and Guerilla Games are not what they used to be. Those studios matures into something greater.

Finally we have games that fill in gaps that are well reviewed like Until Dawn and Ratchet and Clank. Perhaps not AAA, but review quite well and still sell quite decently.

I'm not saying MS don't do this, they had Ori and the new Rare game looks good. But in comparison to Sony they don't come close.

jjonez18

They were doing solidly at first IMO. Shit hit the fan this year. All the cancellations, studio closures, pre-E3 announcement drought, coupled with a sense of "ugh more Halo, Forza, Gears" has really dragged down the prospect of MS' first party. Made even worse by Sony's 1st party and publishing single-handedly delivering one of the best Q1's a console has seen.

I just get a sense that MS is going backwards, when this (the start of the 3rd year) should be where we break through the wall. The studios that made launch games should be gearing up to release a follow up. Those studios that are taking their sweet time should be unveiling years of hard work. Some new (and hopefully long-lasting) partnerships should be springing up. Indie developers should be abundant enough that the occasional gem launches throughout the year.

I am a little confused.

New IPs that has potential to grow.

With that I can only count on Ori being it. Recore, QB have less than 80% on metacritic. SSO seems dead in the water at the moment with no news about a sequel coming out. It also didn't sell well.

So why are you complaining that people discount said IPs when 3 out of 4 you mentioned has underperformed?

Vitanimus

Honestly I don't get the exclusive games fear that people have for Microsoft.

Halo MCC
Halo 5
Sunset Overdrive
Quantum Break
Killer Instinct
Rare Replay
Forza Motorsport 5
Forza Motorsport 6
Forza Horizon 2
Forza Horizon 3
Sea of Thieves
Crackdown 3
ORI and the Blind Forest
Halo Wars 2
Gears of War Ultimate Edition
Gears of War 4
Cuphead
Voodoo Vince Remaster
Tacoma
State of Decay 2
Phantom Dust

And likely more I've missed.

People are overplaying this "issue".

l90vKuv.gif

Papacheeks

Banned
They were doing solidly at first IMO. Shit hit the fan this year. All the cancellations, studio closures, pre-E3 announcement drought, coupled with a sense of "ugh more Halo, Forza, Gears" has really dragged down the prospect of MS' first party. Made even worse by Sony's 1st party and publishing single-handedly delivering one of the best Q1's a console has seen.

I just get a sense that MS is going backwards, when this (the start of the 3rd year) should be where we break through the wall. The studios that made launch games should be gearing up to release a follow up. Those studios that are taking their sweet time should be unveiling years of hard work. Some new (and hopefully long-lasting) partnerships should be springing up. Indie developers should be abundant enough that the occasional gem launches throughout the year.

Yea, and the issue is a lot of those games they had in the first couple years were bought exclusivity not games they made internally. So that's why were not seeing a New Ryse, Sunset Overdrive, a exclusive Titanfall 2, another quantum break or something from remedy exclusive to xbox.

Their chips are all cashed in if you ask me. We might see some things from a couple of their new studios they formed couple years back. But I'm not holding my breath on them being these great looking AAA releases and more like smaller games.

I guess this E3 we will have to see if Microsoft's actions these past years with cancelling projects has had a positive effect on other projects to get more attention?

But it's getting harder and harder to get excited for them thats for sure.

I'm more excited for Nintendo at E3 and I'd never thought I'd say that in 2017.

MS does not have the cash needed for that. Yes it has huge amount of money, but that doesn't mean they can spend it recklessly.

Not saying they should. The way you or this board talks it's like the XBox One doesn't sell and nobody buys it's games. MS should look to do a deal with FromSoftware and also get the likes of Shenmue III on the XBox One too.

Bgamer90

Banned
notice the "issue"?

The only thing that's really getting milked this gen is Forza. Halo and Gears this gen is pretty much similar to Uncharted and Last of Us (remake and 1-2 new current gen entries).

They need better variety in the single player space. The Xbox One has good console exclusive games of pretty much every genre except for AAA single player-only focused genres like RPGs (which Playstaion has). Microsoft's expertise is in multiplayer but third party AAA has many of these genres/games too. Hence why Sony can just use marketing deals.

Rolf NB

Not saying they should. The way you or this board talks it's like the XBox One doesn't sell and nobody buys it's games. MS should look to do a deal with FromSoftware and also get the likes of Shenmue III on the XBox One too.
What gives you the impression that independent developers would be willing to sign deals with Microsoft?

Hoo-doo

Banned

Not interested in list wars, but let's just look at the raw numbers.
Excluding JP import where Sony has a massive advantage, The XB1 currently has 26 retail exclusives compared to 123 on PS4.

So either the site you linked is wrong or it's pretty much painting the exact same picture that people are currently complaining about. That's a pretty stark difference at first glance.

Bgamer90

Banned
Excuse me?

? -- I don't see the issue in what I've said. The Forza brand has four entries this gen and the Xbox One isn't four years old yet. There will more than likely be another Forza this year thus making it five.

Halo and Gears this gen has pretty much been 1-2 new entries with one remake. Same is true with Uncharted and Last of Us (latter with Part 2 coming soon). These are big franchises/brands for both companies so I feel that this is pretty much normal and expected. Nothing wrong with it. Forza brand is being milked but the games are so good and this gen has been pretty weak for racing games outside of Forza that I would feel a bit silly for complaining about it.

kitzkozan

I don't think the cancellations would be felt as hard if it wasn't for Sony's Q1 performance. Nintendo also releasing a GOAT game doesn't help matter when all MS as to show is Halo War 2. The timing couldn't be any worse for MS and several gamers are putting a lot of pressure on them and it's understandable.

It must suck for a portion of the Xbox one audience when they are going through a drought and Sony release a string of exclusives, getting very good reviews (even if most of them are Japanese).

Microsoft approach was the wrong one regarding exclusives imo, as they preferred cutting deals with third party publishers than managing studios. It's a strategy that can and will backfire if your console happen to be the least desirable one, as most third party will not be willing to take a hit unless they are financially compensated. Even then, SE probably regret making Rise of the Tomb Raider exclusive for a year given the backlash and the loss of sales versus Tomb Raider 2013.

Halo hasn't been THE fps on consoles for a long time. Have you forgotten cod?
Not really! I would say Halo held its own in the past even with COD being the other juggernaut.

Now though, with Destiny being the phenomenon it is, Battlefield... There's still room for Halo but i doubt it will be as huge as it was, not to mention with the criticism on the single player.

Markoman

? -- I don't see the issue in what I've said. The Forza brand has four entries this gen and the Xbox One isn't four years old yet. There will more than likely be another Forza this year thus making it five.

Halo and Gears this gen has pretty much been 1-2 new entries with one remake. Same is true with Uncharted and Last of Us (latter with Part 2 coming soon). These are big franchises/brands for both companies so I feel that this is pretty much normal and expected.

With the small difference that UC has 4 entries overall and Tlou one. How many Halo games have been released so far? 7? If I'm counting correctly. +5 Gears games. Franchise fatigue is a thing, especially with a decline or stagnation in quality (SP)

kitzkozan

With the small difference that UC has 4 entries overall and Tlou one. How many Halo games have been released so far? 7? If I'm counting correctly. +5 Gears games. Franchise fatigue is a thing, especially with a decline or stagnation in quality (SP)

Not only that, but Forza will catch up to Gran Turismo this year or by 2018 lol. The first GT date back to 1998 and first Forza was released in 2005 if I remember right.

FelipeMGM

I am a little confused.

Actually, Microsoft is the one who wants that the most, so I dont get your point with that line

I will say this though, Microsoft did try to make new IP this gen, they tackled a bunch of genres and deals but it didnt work out financially (Ori prob the only one that worked on both ways)

And I cant blame them for the multiplayer, games as a service route they are taking with Sea Of Thieves and State of Decay 2 because thats what their market wants. Killer Instinct was a success like that and games like ARK are doing gangbusters on console too. And also those games look cool to me.

Just make 2-4 player Co-op games and i'll happily buy a scorpio, As the older i'm getting the lack of interest i am having in SP games.

Played a ton of RPG, JRPG games over the years, And now with life etc my gaming time is spent playing co-op games on PS4.

Scalebound was one of those said games, Yet it got scrapped so i won't hold any hope.

The only thing that's really getting milked this gen is Forza. Halo and Gears this gen is pretty much similar to Uncharted and Last of Us (remake and 1-2 new current gen entries).

They need better variety in the single player space. The Xbox One has good console exclusive games of pretty much every genre except for AAA single player-only focused genres like RPGs (which Playstaion has). Microsoft's expertise is in multiplayer but third party AAA has many of these genres/games too. Hence why Sony can just use marketing deals.

So far Uncharted has one game on the PS4 (are we going to count expansions?), Uncharted is now done and I doubt TLOU 3 would come out on PS4. Not the same comparison

Bgamer90

Banned

Gears and Uncharted were introduced during the same gens. Halo was introduced one gen before that. But yeah, I definitely understand your point. My point though was that MS isn't really treating Gears or Halo wrong this gen or milking them. It would have been strange to not see an entry from both of those series this gen considering they're so popular.

So far Uncharted has one game on the PS4 (are we going to count expansions?), you can't just lump Uncharted and TLOU, lazily, into one game because it's from the same developer

I didn't "lazily" lump them into one game simply because they are from one developer. I lumped them together because both series had a remake (collection) as well as a new entry this gen and nothing more.

Uncharted has one game on PS4 if you don't want to count the remake. Same is true for Gears on Xbox One.

Purest 78

Halo and Gears this gen has pretty much been 1-2 new entries with one remake. Same is true with Uncharted and Last of Us (latter with Part 2 coming soon). These are big franchises/brands for both companies so I feel that this is pretty much normal and expected. Nothing wrong with it. Forza brand is being milked but the games are so good and this gen has been pretty weak for racing games outside of Forza that I would feel a bit silly for complaining about it.

Thing is Halo,Gears,Forza Have been all MS 1st party produced the last Decade. So the problem doesn't just stem from this gen it's accumulative. Sony has it's key Franchises but still make New 1st party IP.

Rodelero

Halo and Gears this gen has pretty much been 1-2 new entries with one remake. Same is true with Uncharted and Last of Us (latter with Part 2 coming soon). These are big franchises/brands for both companies so I feel that this is pretty much normal and expected.

Here's some differences:

The Last of Us: Part 2, which isn't expected until 2018 at the earliest, is just the second game in its franchise. Gears of War 4, which came out in 2016, is the fifth game in its franchise. The Last of Us: Part 2, will be developed by one of the world's most renowned developers, Naughty Dog, who created the franchise. Gears of War 4 was developed by a new studio, The Coalition, who were working on a new IP until their direction was suddenly changed and they took over the franchise Epic obviously no longer cared to continue. The Last of Us: Part 2 follows The Last of Us, one of most critically acclaimed games of all time. Gears of War 4 follows Gears of War: Judgment, a game which slumped in reviews and in sales.

Ultimately it comes down to this, while both Halo and Gears of War are franchises built on great games, nothing Microsoft are doing with either franchise justifies continuing them rather than doing something new, and that's not a case of one duff game either. The last great Halo game released in 2007 (or 2009, if we want to count ODST/Halo Wars). The last great Gears of War game, in my mind, was the first, which released in 2006. I don't hate either franchise by any means, but I can't get excited for them anymore either. I think threads like these show, frankly, that the hype around these franchises has pretty much died. There will always be a hardcore that desperately wants more, but most people are moving on to bigger, better, and, generally, newer things.

This is the Most Played list you can find on Microsoft's Store (UK)

FIFA 17
Grand Theft Auto V
Rocket League
Roblox (free)
Overwatch
Minecraft
Call of Duty Black Ops 3
Tom Clancy's Rainbow Six Siege
Battlefield 1
Call of Duty Infinite Warfare
Forza Horizon 3
Tom Clancy's Ghost Recon Wildlands
Evolve (free with GWG)
Call of Duty Modern Warfare
Destiny
EA Sports UFC 2 (free with ea access)
Fallout 4
Mass Effect: Andromeda
FIFA 16 (free with ea access)
Star Wars Battlefront (free with ea access)
Skyrim
NBA 2K17
Trove (free)
The Division
Skate 3
Plants vs Zombies Garden Warfare 2
Gears of War 4
Clicker Heroes (free)
Fallout Shelter (free)
WWE 2K17
Smite (free)
Call of Duty Black Ops
The Elder Scrolls Online
Halo 5 Guardians
Battlefield 4

Look at how many games these two exclusives are behind. This is on the console you -have- to buy to play Halo and Gears, I remind you, which concentrates the fanbase in a way that won't happen with all of its competitors. Let's focus just on the first person shooters, to make it clear just how tired the Halo franchise is:

Overwatch
Call of Duty Black Ops 3
Tom Clancy's Rainbow Six Siege
Battlefield 1
Call of Duty Infinite Warfare
Call of Duty Modern Warfare
Destiny
Star Wars Battlefront (free with ea access)
Call of Duty Black Ops
Halo 5 Guardians
Battlefield 4

It is behind four Call of Duty games. It is behind two different DICE shooters, Battlefield 1 and Battlefront, and is only level with Battlefield 4 which came out long before it. It is behind Destiny, the game Bungie went to make away from Microsoft. It is behind the Ubisoft shooter which looked doomed when it launched roughly at the same time as Halo 5. And of course, it is behind Overwatch, a fantastic example of how new IPs can grab the attention of the masses.

I have to be honest, looking at these numbers, you have to wonder exactly what Microsoft have to lose by trying something new. There's nothing risk averse about going down with a sinking ship. This is the title Microsoft puts most of its weight behind and look at it. The worst thing is that even if Halo 6 was a good game, unlike Halo 4 and Halo 5, it's unlikely to reverse the decay in the franchise.

I didn't "lazily" lump them into one game simply because they are from one developer. I lumped them together because both series had a remake (collection) as well as a new entry this gen and nothing more.

Uncharted has one game on PS4 if you don't want to count the remake. Same is true for Gears on Xbox One.

I read your post completely wrong, read my edited post

Nameless

They're critical in that 1st party games will be what showcase the hardware, but MS is in a weird position. Exclusives, especially new IPs, haven't exactly set the world on fire sales wise on Xbox One. Play Anywhere increases their audience going forward, but it also sorta sabotages the 'hook' of the Scorpio since even big-budget in-house projects that squeeze the system dry will look & play better on another platform.

Say what you want about the Switch and the Pro but they offer the best ways to experience Nintendo games and WWS games, which is a selling point.

Bgamer90

Banned
Thing is Halo,Gears,Forza Have been all MS 1st party produced the last Decade. So the problem doesn't just stem from this gen it's accumulative. Sony has it's key Franchises but still make New 1st party IP.

Uncharted, Gran Turismo, and Killzone have been around for at least a decade too but I still see your point. Microsoft has tried building up new first party IPs but they haven't been as successful as Sony. Sony nails single player exclusives in part because they have been around in the console space before the online multiplayer boom. Microsoft pretty much started that trend and now that third party companies have made successful online multiplayer games, Microsoft's lack of single player AAA exclusives is really starting to show -- Especially compared to Nintendo and Sony.

I feel that if Microsoft got just one new, solid AAA single player console exclusive title in their line-up that the perception that some hardcore gamers have of them would change a lot.

Bgamer90

Banned
Ultimately it comes down to this, while both Halo and Gears of War are franchises built on great games, nothing Microsoft are doing with either franchise justifies continuing them rather than doing something new, and that's not a case of one duff game either. The last great Halo game released in 2007 (or 2009, if we want to count ODST/Halo Wars). The last great Gears of War game, in my mind, was the first, which released in 2006. I don't hate either franchise by any means, but I can't get excited for them anymore either.

The fact that both franchises are the Xbox's most popular franchises justifies continuing them. It would be like telling Nintendo to stop making Mario games. This is a business and it wouldn't make sense for them to stop.

They can still continue on supporting their long running franchises while making new stuff. Sony and Nintendo is the perfect example of this considering they have been around in console gaming longer than Microsoft.

________

I read your post completely wrong, read my edited post

No problem.

And I cant blame them for the multiplayer, games as a service route they are taking with Sea Of Thieves and State of Decay 2 because thats what their market wants. Killer Instinct was a success like that and games like ARK are doing gangbusters on console too. And also those games look cool to me.
Nothing wrong with multiplayer, but Xbox One really needs some great first party/exclusive AAA games with good single player under its belt. Those are the games that get people to latch on more to their system.

They've improved their indie relationship at least, but those are supposed to be supplementary to AAA games for a system.

Just make 2-4 player Co-op games and i'll happily buy a scorpio, As the older i'm getting the lack of interest i am having in SP games.

Played a ton of RPG, JRPG games over the years, And now with life etc my gaming time is spent playing co-op games on PS4.

Scalebound was one of those said games, Yet it got scrapped so i won't hold any hope.

And this is what Microsoft is doing. But people still drive that hate train with "no gamez"...
All games so far from Microsoft coming this year are playable in Coop. I love that.

Im getting tired of this constant praise for Sony games. Cool SP games blabla but no further value by having online Coop or PvP.

Microsoft is doing fine. I just dont get why people are having this concern mode now just because sony released another game early this year which was schedulded for last year btw.
I wonder how this forum would look like if Sony had released Horizon last Fall.

Microsoft is known for not releasing any big games in Spring or Summer.

FelipeMGM

Nothing wrong with multiplayer, but Xbox One really needs some great first party/exclusive AAA games with good single player under its belt. Those are the games that get people to latch on more to their system.

They've improved their indie relationship at least, but those are supposed to be supplementary to AAA games for a system.

but they funded games like that already (Sunset Overdrive, Quantum Break) and they didnt sell well, there is so much they can do when their installbase isnt buying those kind of games

We cant assume that just because it works for Sony it will work for Microsoft

Markoman

And this is what Microsoft is doing. But people still drive that hate train with "no gamez"...
All games so far from Microsoft coming this year are playable in Coop. I love that.

Im getting tired of this constant praise for Sony games. Cool SP games blabla but no further value by having online Coop or PvP.

Microsoft is doing fine. I just dont get why people are having this concern mode now just because sony released another game early this year which was schedulded for last year btw.
I wonder how this forum would look like if Sony had released Horizon last Fall.

Microsoft is known for not releasing any big games in Spring or Summer.

You have a point there. The real question is who is complaining about the situation itt? Is it PS4 owers? Certainly not. So yes, if it's X1 owners then they have simply chosen the wrong console for their preferences. X1 is the best place to play MP-focussed games, period. If you're more into JRPGs or other SP-focussed games go and get a PS4 for 199$ later this year. That's the price you pay for two deluxe editions btw.

Rodelero

The fact that both franchises are the Xbox's most popular franchises justifies continuing them. It would be like telling Nintendo to stop making Mario games. This is a business and it wouldn't make sense for them to stop.

They can still continue on supporting their long running franchises while making new stuff. Sony and Nintendo is the perfect example of this considering they have been around in console gaming longer than Microsoft.

I mean, that's all very well and good, but I don't think it's working. This is a business and I think it would make a great deal of sense to stop, pause, and to think about whether Halo 6 is going to be better for their business than a great new IP they can really properly put their weight behind. If they truly believe Halo 6 is the more sensible choice, they obviously have no faith in their studios. The Last of Us was made by Sony's best studio as opposed to them quickly pumping out the fourth Uncharted game. I wonder what 343i could do if they were given the opportunity to make something different, but I suspect we'll never know.

Nintendo no longer making Mario would be madness - but that's because Mario is the biggest thing on Nintendo platforms. Halo and Gears aren't anywhere near the biggest things on Microsoft's platforms. There was a time where Halo and Gears were massive franchises that dominated sales, reviews, and play-time charts.

It's ten years ago.

If they continue to release new IP in the fall/holiday season their are sending these titles to their death.

This E3 will be it for MS, they haven't delivered anything outside of their holy trinity. Their previous E3 showings plagued by delays and cancellations. I've got a launch Xbox One and enjoyed it but the lack of big titles other than Halo(now 343 killed it) and Forza(which is only getting better) has been annoying.

Have been playing recent third party games on my PS4 but absolutely hate the OS but Sony
Is slowly making progress. For me to buy a Scorpio they need to deliver something good THIS year and not the next. Don't bother saying all this crap about E3 is for the games but only announcing titles coming out in 2-3 years. I don't think many people would still have the patience for that.

Not only that, but Forza will catch up to Gran Turismo this year or by 2018 lol. The first GT date back to 1998 and first Forza was released in 2005 if I remember right.

So what? They deliver quality games for both brands, Forza Motorsport 5 is the only one that could be call only a good game, the rest of Forza Motorsport and Forza Horizon are great.

but they funded games like that already (Sunset Overdrive, Quantum Break) and they didnt sell well, there is so much they can do when their installbase isnt buying those kind of games

We cant assume that just because it works for Sony it will work for Microsoft
Those aren't selling well because they aren't great.

There's not too much difference between Sony and MS gamers. They want great games. The first party isn't delivering it but it doesn't mean that they should blame the installbase for it.

If they did follow that reasoning (our installbase isn't buying these type of games so we should focus on games as service) then they are truly fucked.

I'm purposely leaving Nintendo's games out of the discussions because even when they release another game from their selection of ips, most of their games can be totally different in execution that it feels 'fresh' to play.

MilkyJoe

Not interested in list wars, but let's just look at the raw numbers.
Excluding JP import where Sony has a massive advantage, The XB1 currently has 26 retail exclusives compared to 123 on PS4.

So either the site you linked is wrong or it's pretty much painting the exact same picture that people are currently complaining about. That's a pretty stark difference at first glance.

Read the post I quoted

blakep267

Those aren't selling well because they aren't great.

There's not too much difference between Sony and MS gamers. They want great games. The first party isn't delivering it but it doesn't mean that they should blame the installbase for it.

If they did follow that reasoning (our installbase isn't buying these type of games so we should focus on games as service) then they are truly fucked.
So only great games are supposed to sell? QB was at 78 MC Andy sunset was 81 MC. Those aren't. Ad games like you are trying to portray

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom