• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox Live Arcade (XBLA) News and Announcements Thread - 2012 Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

V_Ben

Banned
So Joe Danger: The Movie is exclusive, then? All the third party published games have the publisher listed...

Microsoft is listed as the publisher on Games Press. So, it sure seems that way. Sort of a slap in the face to people who helped the game become a success on PSN, but I'm sure it'll come out there next year.

see5harp

Wow. Thanks for the heads up on Ilomilo. I've had that trial sitting on my console for the last couple months waiting for a half off sale. I really enjoyed the demo.

ilomilo is a lovely game, I've been meaning to look for that sound clip that plays when you find something on a level - it's awesome :D

bede-x

Oh my lord, and there are several other titles not even listed that have huge potential.

This has to be the best year for XBLA, right?

If the titles live up to their potential, it must be.

I'm very impressed with 360's line up this year. So many promising titles..

see5harp

ilomilo is a lovely game, I've been meaning to look for that sound clip that plays when you find something on a level - it's awesome :D

I was incredibly impressed the first time I played the demo, I just never got around to it. The coolest thing to me was the sound design. Just moving around the menu sounded like a joanna newsom song.

Daigoro

this has been a really dull 1st quarter for XBLA. i feel like i havent bought anything in months.

gonna check out Ilomilo. never did download the demo.

Some game made with Atari 2600 graphics, doesn't impress me at all.

limmy-o.gif

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
this has been a really dull 1st quarter for XBLA. i feel like i havent bought anything in months.

Well, here's the complete release list; I'll bold the games I purchased

NFL Blitz
Amy
Choplifter HD
Haunt
Scarygirl
Quarrel
Puddle
Double Fine Happy Action Theater
Rhythm Party/Boom Boom Dance
The Simpsons Arcade Game
Shank 2
Gotham City Impostors
Warp
Alan Wake's American Nightmare
Nexuiz
I Am Alive

I think Alan Wake is the only controller-based, story-based game (as opposed to arcadey stuff) that's actually gotten broadly positive reviews.

Gaspode_T

The scary thing is that I don't think there's a game until late April or May that i'll buy besides Sine Mora...it's really kind of strange because I was buying tons of games in 2011

I don't know what it is...maybe it's related to the saturation / amount of games we already have available, I almost want more niche-y games instead...

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
How is the full version of Haunt? I played the trial and was incredibly disappointed

I haven't played much more than the trial tbqh. I hope to get around to it soon but these days I've mostly been playing my non-Kinect 360 setup than my Kinect 360. I will admit I basically bought it because I thought the trial was an entertaining novelty, rather than reflective of any real depth.

PopfulMail

So we have dates for the following...

March 14th - 800 - Shoot Many Robots
March 14th - 1200 - Defenders of Ardania
March 21st - 1200 - Sine Mora
March 21st - ? - Rayman 3 HD
March 21st - ? - Dungeon Fighter Online
March 28th - ? - Kung Fu Strike
March 28th - ? - The Pinball Arcade
April 4th - 800 - Diabolical Pitch
April 15th - 800 - The Splatters

Anything I'm missing?

mujun

So we have dates for the following...

March 14th - 800 - Shoot Many Robots
March 14th - 1200 - Defenders of Ardania
March 21st - 1200 - Sine Mora
April 4th - 800 - Diabolical Pitch
April 15th - 800 - The Splatters

Anything I'm missing?

According to Wiki "Kung Fu Strike" is March 28th along with "The Pinball Arcade".

Also, Rayman 3 HD and Dungeon Fighter for the 21st accoring to the Wiki list.

TheOddOne

Megaton: Undead Lab's Class 3 composer will be Jesper Kyd!
Last month in our Q&A Ragdolls, Land Mines, and Tentacles, we promised to reveal the composer for Class3.

Today we’re excited to announce we’ve signed BAFTA award-winning composer Jesper Kyd to the project. Jesper is perhaps best known for scoring the Hitman and Assassin’s Creed series, both of which earned him numerous industry awards. Now Jesper’s capturing the Faded Americana style of Class3 in a dark cinematic score mixing live acoustic performances.

Undead Labs Audio Director Kevin Patzelt has been working closely with Jesper over the past few months. Kevin shares his thoughts on the musical goals for Class3, and why Jesper is the ideal composer for the project, in the article Scoring the Apocalypse.

Welcome to our world, Jesper!

Jeff

Gaspode_T

I posted about this in another thread but I can't believe it hasn't really been picked up at news...they kind of sneak announced a pretty big megaton at GDC during one of the dev day talks

They announced "Xbox Live Web Games" which are fully supported by leaderboards achievements etc. Each can can have 5 to 10 achievements total up to 50 gamerscore. Of course the games will still be selected just like XBLA games are, but the technology of building a web game is certainly a lower barrier of entry than building an Xbox Live Arcade game is (with all the technical requirements you have to pass there).

The only place the slides seem to be posted at is here (the slides are in English of course): http://game.watch.impress.co.jp/docs/news/20120307_517055.html?ref=twrank

Quite frankly some of the games I like playing the most lately are more like match-3 or casual games, it will be great to be able to earn achievements for playing them (probably will work from a Windows 8 tablet too) and many of them will be free or at least F2P. The downside is definitely more expansion of the F2P model where you have to buy $29035133 worth of Snoopy Bucks to complete your little social world.

I posted about this in another thread but I can't believe it hasn't really been picked up at news...they kind of sneak announced a pretty big megaton at GDC during one of the dev day talks

They announced "Xbox Live Web Games" which are fully supported by leaderboards achievements etc. Each can can have 5 to 10 achievements total up to 50 gamerscore. Of course the games will still be selected just like XBLA games are, but the technology of building a web game is certainly a lower barrier of entry than building an Xbox Live Arcade game is (with all the technical requirements you have to pass there).

The only place the slides seem to be posted at is here (the slides are in English of course): http://game.watch.impress.co.jp/docs/news/20120307_517055.html?ref=twrank

Quite frankly some of the games I like playing the most lately are more like match-3 or casual games, it will be great to be able to earn achievements for playing them (probably will work from a Windows 8 tablet too) and many of them will be free or at least F2P. The downside is definitely more expansion of the F2P model where you have to buy $29035133 worth of Snoopy Bucks to complete your little social world.

That whole group of presentation slides looked like a lot of cool stuff coming in the pipeline.

The Kinect Adventures phone companion app that would allow you to edit the 360 game has a lot of potential.(for other games obviously)

Edit- And the Asynch multiplayer being able to play against users of all Windows devices (computer, phone, xbox, tablet) is also something that I think has the potential to be a big difference maker for MS in the future.

Gaspode_T

Asynch thing as far as I can tell is more them beating people over the head to actually do it because it has proven to be popular with Words with Friends and games like Hero Academy/Carcassonne. If devs have access to some sort of online DB they could have done it years ago but they must be trying to help make it easier to do.

That's a lot of what their GDC presentations seem to always be about "look at how easy this is to do", I mean, 4 or 5 years ago they were probably beating people over the head trying to convince them to implement co-op gameplay or things like Viva Pinata/Keflings style gifting, last year I know they wanted games that interact between Windows Phone and Xbox.

At the Build conference for Windows 8 they basically went over similar APIs to these ones so I even saw some devs tweeting "WTF this is same stuff from Build" but the Web Games thing is brand new as far as I know...previously it just said "Metro games can use these APIs"

Daigoro

Well, here's the complete release list; I'll bold the games I purchased

NFL Blitz
Amy
Choplifter HD
Haunt
Scarygirl
Quarrel
Puddle
The Simpsons Arcade Game
Shank 2
Gotham City Impostors
Warp
Nexuiz
I Am Alive

I think Alan Wake is the only controller-based, story-based game (as opposed to arcadey stuff) that's actually gotten broadly positive reviews.

yeah. ive only been interested enough to download the demo for three of those and havent actually purchased one yet.

but the year is young! im sure XBLA will be getting plenty of my money as the year continues.

So Joe Danger: The Movie is exclusive, then? All the third party published games have the publisher listed...

Boy would that piss some people off. I hope it's not true, but the developer has been very dodgy about giving specific platform plans, and that may be because they were in the midst of negotiating a deal with Microsoft. We should know soon enough.

Regardless, that is an instant buy for me.

aku:jiki

Stumpokapow said:
NFL Blitz
Amy
Choplifter HD
Haunt
Scarygirl
Quarrel
Puddle
The Simpsons Arcade Game
Shank 2
Gotham City Impostors
Warp
Nexuiz
I Am Alive
I thought Quarrel, Nexuiz and Shank 2 were great. I Am Alive and Alan Wake are all right - Alan Wake is actually the lesser one with its 5-minute story and very easy challenge mode. Gotham and Choplifter are OK too. Warp sucks, didn't bother with the rest.

These should be going live soon.

Interesting to see Puddle on there, as it is only 4 weeks old.
It's being delayed by a few hours or something... I'm counting seconds until I finally get to play Castlevania and Hard Corps! Gonna get BurgerTime too, even though the demo kinda sucks. Love the classic.

I tried the trial of Puddle and it was horrible. Not picking it up for 400.

Especially when mercuryHg was only 400 anyway, and that's tremendous.

It's being delayed by a few hours or something... I'm counting seconds until I finally get to play Castlevania and Hard Corps! Gonna get BurgerTime too, even though the demo kinda sucks. Love the classic.

Be sure to download the Hard Corps trial first. If you unlock it from the screen at the end of the trial you get 30m free credits to spend on upgrades. If you just buy it from the dash, you'll have to earn 'em yourself.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom