• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox LIVE Indie Games - The February 2011 Thread

djtiesto

is beloved, despite what anyone might say
toythatkills said:
And now, a plea for suggestions. As part of my journalism (lol) degree, I have to keep a "news" blog, and if I can get away with it I'm going to try and set up a news blog for Xbox LIVE Indie Games. Now, there's a couple of these around already, but they're rubbish. If I'm going to do this at all I'm going to do it well, and so that's where you come in!

a) what would you want from a blog about XBLIGS? The plan is to review everything as I do in this thread anyway, and then carry whatever news comes up too. What else would you want to see?
b) if you're a dev, follow me @toythatkills and @reply me if I'm not following you back. If you get any press releases or anything, send them to me. If you've got a blog, send me the link!
c) when (if) this has been up a few weeks, we need to get it pimped like, everywhere :D

So, any thoughts you've got, do tell - you might as well, it's not like there's that much to play!

And at this point I've been awake for nearly 40 hours to get this done. Just when am I going to go to bed?

EDIT: Are smileys gone? Or have I broken something?

Some things I'd like to see (as a developer):

-Interviews with XBLIG developers
-Previews and hype for upcoming XBLIG titles
-Perhaps posting some kind of development tutorials?

Great thread as always, toythatkills... I have a ton of MS points that I've been spending on Indie games. Unfortunately my HD is getting pretty clogged up (I was an early 360 adaptor so thus I only have a 20gig)... so I'll have to do some management of that. Then, as soon as I finish Breath of Death VII (probably Thurs), I am definitely jumping on Bonded Realities and Apple Jack.

McBradders

NeoGAF: my new HOME
Trumpets said:
Thanks for the Apple Jack love, Toy - your continued support of the game is much appreciated!

I'm working on a sequel at the moment but development has been a struggle. I've probably been over-ambitious with some of the features, and trying to juggle all this extra stuff with enemies that can be picked up and chucked anywhere is really hard. The basics are there though so once I've sorted those problems out development should be pretty swift.

Cheers! It's sold relatively well though, passing 11,000 a few days ago and still selling about 20 a day. If it had done as well in the US as in the UK I'd be looking at nearer 50,000, but given the UK centric nature of the game it's hardly suprising.

Oh hey, you're a GAF'er now, awesome. I bought applejack after watching the Independant Charles Show. Great game. Keep up the good work.

Ricker

toythatkills said:

Yep,they are gone the whole lot of them(we had 2 lol)...good stuff by the way,I think i`ll grab Bonded Realities once I finish Cthulhu...

Joshery

Neo Member
toythatkills said:
And now, a plea for suggestions. As part of my journalism (lol) degree, I have to keep a "news" blog, and if I can get away with it I'm going to try and set up a news blog for Xbox LIVE Indie Games. Now, there's a couple of these around already, but they're rubbish. If I'm going to do this at all I'm going to do it well, and so that's where you come in!

a) what would you want from a blog about XBLIGS? The plan is to review everything as I do in this thread anyway, and then carry whatever news comes up too. What else would you want to see?
b) if you're a dev, follow me @toythatkills and @reply me if I'm not following you back. If you get any press releases or anything, send them to me. If you've got a blog, send me the link!
c) when (if) this has been up a few weeks, we need to get it pimped like, everywhere :D

So, any thoughts you've got, do tell - you might as well, it's not like there's that much to play!

And at this point I've been awake for nearly 40 hours to get this done. Just when am I going to go to bed?

a) As a developer we like reading interviews with other developers and learning about the tools they're using and what sort of resources they have. We also love when you talk about our games.

Indie games seem to live and die by the lists. So it'd be cool if you had some lists on your site/blog. E.g. lis of Gold Award winners, and maybe top ranked by visitors to your blog.

b) done

c) let us know when it's up.

Edit: btw it's FishCraft for better or worse

Interviews'd be done, yeah. Well up for hyping stuff too, but obviously that relies on devs sending me stuff to allow it, like any shots, info, whatever.

On another subject, now that I've played stuff from January, I'm going back to the stuff I missed in December. There's one game that's sticking out so far.

Shooting Models.

By Silver Dollar Games.

In it, you watch a small video of a girl through camera and have to press A to take up to ten photos, the photos are then graded depending on how good they are. It's an alright idea for a game, in a way. The thing is, though, these girls aren't actually modelling, they're just doing normal stuff. This makes you feel like a massive weirdo/stalker/creep/all of the above.

In the first level, the girl is standing on a balcony just walking back and forth, occasionally trying to hide behind the window frame because there's a fucking paparazzi in her house or something. You keep zooming in on her face and stuff, and feel totally weird.

Then it ramps it up a notch.

In the second level, you actually hide in bushes with your knob out and try and get some shots of a girl who's walking past. When she covers her face, you figure "fuck this" and spend the rest of the shoot chasing after her and trying to get some shots while she looks fucking scared, mostly running away covering her face.

Is that what modelling's like?

Not the most useful list since it's just first week sales, but it paints a pretty grim picture of what kind of games are instant sellers:

Top Indie Games of 2010 (Based on full versions purchased during the first week of release)

1 Baby Maker Extreme
2 Avatar Showdown
3 Avatar Paintball
4 Avatar Ninja!
5 Avatar Racedrome
6 Try Not To Fart
7 Nuclear Wasteland
8 Avatar Onslaught
9 Yet Another Zombie Defense
10 Zombie Estate
11 Breath of Death VII
12 MILITARY SNIPER-SIM 3.18
13 Get Rich or Die Gaming
14 Avatar Bumper Cars
15 Avatar Meet Up Live!
16 GET TO THA CHOPPA!!1
17 Shoot 1UP
18 Toy Stunt Bike
19 The Impossible Game
20 So Many Girls So Little Time

http://majornelson.com/archive/2011/02/02/top-xbox-live-games-of-2010.aspx

Intruder_qc

Neo Member
And you guys though the top selling of 2010 was depressing?

Just wait to see the 2011 one... :-(

The new list will still have the similar "Avatar" this or that (those are still in the top selling) and the new contender for the #1 is... Beer Pong... yes that simulation of that drinking game.

Ohh and we should create another category, game with girl/chick on the cover, which also seems to be getting a lot of trials.

That's why if you really want to see good/great game you have to check top rated which is much more better. Looking at the best seller always make me depress and loose faith in humanity.

Kafel

Banned
Stop whining. These games are selling more in the first week than games with more depth but targeting a niche, what a surprise.

Also, it seems obvious a crowd on 360 is not getting enough of games using Avatars (so few XBLA or retail games with them unless they're for Kinect).

On the plus side, I'm pretty confident that my upcoming game, Oh Noes!!1 Avatar Ninja Pirates Have Turned Hot Girls into Farting Zombie Monkeys! Lolcat Edition, is destined for great things.

It's a twin stick shooter.

djtiesto

is beloved, despite what anyone might say
So I put a bit of time into Bonded Realities and Apple Jack. Bought them both as soon as the trial was up. My thoughts:

Bonded Realities - as someone who just recently finished Cthulu and Breath of Death, the one thing that stood out the most for me was the special effects in combat. The Zeboyd games were definitely lacking in that affair, which made battles a bit duller. I haven't played much of the game so far, basically I beat the polar bear boss, started playing as the second kid, trial ended, bought the game and then stopped playing due to dinner. But I'm liking what I've played, the Earthbound influence is pretty obvious and I like how there seems to be a bit more interaction with the environment than the Zeboyd games.

Apple Jack - at first I smiled as the opening level was set in Suffolk... quickly realized that it's a place in the UK and not where I live on Long Island. I'm a big fan of puzzle-platformers, so I really like what you've done with the game. Very clean and consistent art style, and decent music too (though I feel that so far, the music has kind of a wistful, melancholic sound that clashes with the rest of the game). I thought "SOLD" as soon as I saw the washing machine enemies. I've only played through the first 6 or so levels. Main complaint is that perhaps a life bar would be better? Since the game definitely seems more puzzle-oriented than straight up platformer, having to deal with both avoiding obstacles/environments and making sure you don't screw up when throwing enemies into each other makes it much more challenging.

Feep

Banned
toythatkills said:
On the plus side, I'm pretty confident that my upcoming game, Oh Noes!!1 Avatar Ninja Pirates Have Turned Hot Girls into Farting Zombie Monkeys! Lolcat Edition, is destined for great things.

It's a twin stick shooter.
You jest, but a name like that just might do it.

Hell, a name THAT ballsy? I'd probably have to buy it myself.

Kafel said:
Stop whining. These games are selling more in the first week than games with more depth but targeting a niche, what a surprise.

Also, it seems obvious a crowd on 360 is not getting enough of games using Avatars (so few XBLA or retail games with them unless they're for Kinect).
Who said it was a surprise?

I've played at least half of the games on that list, and they're of a quality that would get rejected on any self-respecting Flash gaming website on the internet. Just like I can bemoan the popularity of Sarah Palin's latest book, I can bemoan these very sad, very pathetic pieces of software.

(Still five good titles up there though)

OnPoint

Time for some impressions:

Run! -- I played the first 12 levels or so. It's a behind the back auto-running time-trial platformer that uses avatars. It's fairly competent, though the challenge level was minimal. It was, after all, the beginning of the game, but I can't imagine it getting too complex.

I liked the inclusion of special hazard blocks. Some were sticky and slowed you down while others reversed the direction of your controller. The way the levels are built reminded me of Super Monkey Ball, with its standardized and static backdrops. Overall not bad, but not fantastic.

Bioerosion -- I straight-up bought this game to review it, and it was worth its dollar in laughs. It's an absolutely horrible third-person shooter with awful controls, terrible graphics and bad level design. But it fails so spectacularly on every level it manages to be a laugh-riot the entire time you're playing.

Synestesia Amnesia -- It's a platformer set on sheet music, though that's where the game's major failing lies. The lines on which notes are placed can be difficult to see sometimes because they're so thin. This is especially problematic when the platforms are moving. It's not game-breaking, but it is irritating to miss a jump because you had a hard time seeing where to land and backtrack through a section of the level. I also didn't really like how it handled -- the character felt weightless.

Kafel said:
I know you guys were waiting for this, Baby Maker Extreme 2 just got released.
Did they forget zombies? because it's not a top tier xbl indie title without zombies.

Baby Maker Extreme 2: Zombies, do it!

Kafel said:
I know you guys were waiting for this, Baby Maker Extreme 2 just got released.

OK, fire up the LHC. This universe has run its course.
LHC_wormhole.jpg

coamithra

toythatkills said:

I don't find reading reviews of indie games exciting. They are generally very prosaic, reading like a specification rather than an analysis. The volume and general quality of the games released on the service make this worse. Even with your monthly posts I lose interest after reading through the gold and first couple of silver winners' descriptions.

An exception to the rule is when the writer puts a lot of himself into the reviews, NGJ style. I absolutely love the Action Button's reviews. But in those cases it often becomes more about appreciating good writing than an interest in the subject itself.

Interviews are in the same boat. Even as a developer I hardly care unless the interviewee goes insanely deep into the technical aspects of his game.

What I do lap up are the human interest articles (I know, I'm sorry) or articles about the service as a whole. Some examples of interesting reads:

http://kotaku.com/5381571/the-xbox-massage+makers-money-sex-toys--indie-backlash
http://www.bitmob.com/articles/making-money-in-xbox-360-indie-game-development-is-it-possible
http://thenextweb.com/microsoft/201...loper-releases-his-sales-data-its-not-pretty/
http://www.nytimes.com/2009/08/16/magazine/16beatles-t.html (it's always good to have high goals ;))

For some reason noone has tried tackling the question why obviously bad games are doing so well? Who is buying them? Why? There's some investigative journalism that I would definitely be interested in.

When I do read specifically about games I like to be shown, not told. This is why most of my gaming info comes from Giant Bomb's quick looks and video reviews these days. I also enjoyed XNA Roundup when it was still around.

Hope this helps, I look forward to superficially skimming over your blog ;)

Baby Maker Extreme 2 is pretty much the same game as the first, but the pseudo-3D graphics are creepy as fuck. As far as new stuff goes, there's loads of new upgrades and stuff. You can have new outfits for your creepy baby.

As much as people deride it, I enjoyed the original BMX, and this is more of the same. Just a creepier kind of more that doesn't really offer anything that you'd need if you have the original.

SmallCaveGames

Neo Member
coamithra said:
I don't find reading reviews of indie games exciting. They are generally very prosaic, reading like a specification rather than an analysis. The volume and general quality of the games released on the service make this worse. Even with your monthly posts I lose interest after reading through the gold and first couple of silver winners' descriptions.

An exception to the rule is when the writer puts a lot of himself into the reviews, NGJ style. I absolutely love the Action Button's reviews. But in those cases it often becomes more about appreciating good writing than an interest in the subject itself.

Interviews are in the same boat. Even as a developer I hardly care unless the interviewee goes insanely deep into the technical aspects of his game.

What I do lap up are the human interest articles (I know, I'm sorry) or articles about the service as a whole. Some examples of interesting reads:

http://kotaku.com/5381571/the-xbox-massage+makers-money-sex-toys--indie-backlash
http://www.bitmob.com/articles/making-money-in-xbox-360-indie-game-development-is-it-possible
http://thenextweb.com/microsoft/201...loper-releases-his-sales-data-its-not-pretty/
http://www.nytimes.com/2009/08/16/magazine/16beatles-t.html (it's always good to have high goals ;))

For some reason noone has tried tackling the question why obviously bad games are doing so well? Who is buying them? Why? There's some investigative journalism that I would definitely be interested in.

When I do read specifically about games I like to be shown, not told. This is why most of my gaming info comes from Giant Bomb's quick looks and video reviews these days. I also enjoyed XNA Roundup when it was still around.

Hope this helps, I look forward to superficially skimming over your blog ;)

Good honest feedback. Several sites are doing the review/interview thing quite well already. I do enjoy the coverage though.

Not many are taking a journalistic approach - that bitmob article is a great example.

OnPoint

Just got done playing Mummies vs GunnS. Wouldn't recommend it for a dollar. It's a first person shooter that pits you up against an infinite amount of respawning mummies. I found that walking backward along the walls of the square room kept me a safe distance away from enemies and kept them in perfect line for shooting.

There appear to be additional weapons you can unlock, but the mummies are easy enough to dispatch so long as you follow my strategy. It's practically impossible to even take damage unless you stop moving.

Trumpets

I actually remember Timeslip from 10+ years ago when it was a Yarose game released on an OPM UK demo disc. Frankly it doesn't seem as much fun now as it did back than, but the time clone paradox idea at the heart of it is still pretty neat, if slightly more familiar nowadays.

It also has a snail as the main character, which if there's any justice in the world will become a trend to rival avatars, zombies and massage apps. I love snails.

OnPoint said:
Time for some impressions:

Run! -- I played the first 12 levels or so. It's a behind the back auto-running time-trial platformer that uses avatars. It's fairly competent, though the challenge level was minimal. It was, after all, the beginning of the game, but I can't imagine it getting too complex.

I liked the inclusion of special hazard blocks. Some were sticky and slowed you down while others reversed the direction of your controller. The way the levels are built reminded me of Super Monkey Ball, with its standardized and static backdrops. Overall not bad, but not fantastic.
Pretty much my thoughts exactly. Seems to have online leaderboards which seemed odd to me because surely everyone that makes a fall-free run will have identical times?

NYAN-TECH, 80msp, is the latest from dot zo games. A Japanese developer behind pixel art games that mostly star ninjas (Ninja Bros, Ninja Train, Ninja Escape, and... Horse Race Starter). No Ninjas or horses here though, just a cat girl in a simple single room puzzle platformer. "Get the [key] and go to [door]! Let's go! wao!" as the description says.

The hook being that there are blocks on screen that appear/disappear depending on what buttons you are pressing/holding. Some toggle on and off and some you need to hold the button down. This can get pretty complicated especially with the A button, since that is also jump. You also have a time limit that counts down only when you're moving. This all gets very complex in the hard levels.

I think there's 30 levels all together, but I'm not positive thats what "More like this face of 30 (?) Volume action puzzler." means on the Google translated developer's blog.

256bntl.png

Nyan-Tech is an early contender for game of the month, I love it. I reckon there are 30 levels (excluding the tutorial), yeah, there's ten in the easy set, anyway.

You just have to get a key and then get to the exit. There are basic platforming standards, spikes to avoid, double jumps, but then it gets really puzzley because there are certain blocks that can only be removed by pressing a button, or made solid by pressing a button. There are different types, too, some that go solid/invisible when you hold the relevant button down, and some that switch between solid and invisible like, well, switches. When there's five different button prompts on the screen to be taking care of at once, it gets pretty hectic.

There's a time limit, too, which ticks down as you move, so you'll need to go through the levels efficiently.

Levels are small, they look great, and it controls really well. If you like Ninja Bros., you need this. If you like games, you need this. A dollar.

Intruder_qc

Neo Member
Hmmm

From what you guys are describing the Nyan-Tech sound a similar type of puzzle game as Chu-Chu Rocket where you need to lead a mouse to the rocket and either don't get catch by the mouse or fall in some hole ;-).

Gonna go and check this out.

Intruder_qc said:
Hmmm

From what you guys are describing the Nyan-Tech sound a similar type of puzzle game as Chu-Chu Rocket where you need to lead a mouse to the rocket and either don't get catch by the mouse or fall in some hole ;-).

Gonna go and check this out.
It's nothing like that at all. It's a platformer.

There's a game from last month called Return All Robots which has a similar kind of mechanic to Chu Chu Rocket, though.

SmallCaveGames

Neo Member
Ventron said:
If anyone here has a premium XNA membership (this means you, Feep) I'd love it if you could review and pass the update for Bonded Realities, which slightly increases the difficulty and fixes some glitches.

Noogy also helped me give it a new boxart. Seriously, the art involved is poster-worthy. It's really good now.

http://catalog.create.msdn.com/en-U...d=8f3b8f9b-d453-4168-b677-d454e0c2f94b&type=1

The box art is awesome. Good call and nice work.

And I gave you a pass.

Dave Long

Banned
Severe case of DO NOT WANT from me on 1000 SPIKES. It isn't consistent within its own rules right from the very first level. It's unfair to the point of hostility against the player.

I'm perfectly fine with hard games, and even with games that are seemingly impossible. However, I do not like games that don't play by their own rules. Tiles that seem certain to have spikes based on what you know, don't. Others that shouldn't have them, do. It's no fun playing trial and error when you have nothing to go on that supports your conclusions of what is or isn't safe within the game. Blah.

Played a bit more of Nyan-Tech. Up to half way through the hard levels, and I think you need about 17 fingers, it's excellent! Special mention to the main character too, who is cute as hell and animated brilliantly.

Phibian is a shmup where you are a frog. It's weird though, because your frog doesn't scroll with the environment and so you keep falling off the back of the screen, at which point you jump back into the middle, usually into enemy fire. The whole thing feels a bit clumsy.

All Out of Bubblegum I didn't really get. It starts off pretending to be tower defence, and then becomes a twin-stick. The twin-stick part doesn't work, as you have to kill every enemy in a wave to progress and they keep getting stuck behind scenery so you have to wander around for ages to try and find the last enemy that's stopping the wave ending.

Gladiators Escapade would be a nice maze/puzzle game if the controls weren't so unresponsive. And if maybe it wasn't so ugly.

Mummies vs GunnS has some strange punctuation, there. It's the shittiest kind of FPS, there's no goal, there's no animation, and the enemies take 1,000,000 hits to take down. Yawn.

TimeSlip should be fantastic, but I just got frustrated. You're a snail and every thirty seconds or so a clone of yourself is created which follows the path you followed previously, so you can use them to wait on switches while the current you runs through doors, etc. If you come into contact with yourself, though, you lose and have to start again. This is a mechanic that's been used a lot recently, and if the game focussed on puzzles instead of killing you at every opportunity it'd be a lot more fun. Still worth trying, though.

Baby Maker Extreme isn't even a problem. If it had like, a pirate theme instead of a baby one or something everyone would love it. It'd sell seven copies instead of the amount it has, but it wouldn't be criticised so much. It's a fun game.

But buy Nyan-Tech, just in case :p

toythatkills said:
Baby Maker Extreme isn't even a problem. If it had like, a pirate theme instead of a baby one or something everyone would love it. It'd sell seven copies instead of the amount it has, but it wouldn't be criticised so much. It's a fun game.

But buy Nyan-Tech, just in case :p
Already bought that as well. And you're right, BMX2 is a good game. That's why I bought it.

Parallax Scroll said:
I tried it but it's pretty weird. The camera is zoomed in really close.

You can press a button and it zooms out. Doesn't improve the game much though, didn't really understand the combo system, my guy kept going for that "catch them on your weapon" move when I didn't want him to.

Kafel

Banned
Parallax Scroll said:
I tried it but it's pretty weird. The camera is zoomed in really close.

I guess I'm not missing much.

Today I've tried an old game for the first time and it's pretty good. Dock'Em is basically a clone of the iOS hit Flight Control but with boats and nice graphics.

People should try this one.

Nasreddin

toythatkills said:
Baby Maker Extreme isn't even a problem.

It's a great little game. If there is a fun experience behind the clever marketing, it doesn't matter if the game has avatars, ninjas or farts. A significant number of these games don't deserve the universal hate.

Nasreddin said:
It's a great little game. If there is a fun experience behind the clever marketing, it doesn't matter if the game has avatars, ninjas or farts. A significant number of these games don't deserve the universal hate.
To be fair, there isn't a single good game on Indies that has anything to do with farting.

Kafel

Banned
BitStream has been updated. I don't know what has changed but you have to buy it if it's not already done.

http://catalog.create.msdn.com/en-U...d=30d71c26-a5d6-48ab-9803-fc14898dc19a&type=2

And I've just discovered this studio is developing a MineCraft clone called FortressCraft.

Currently under development Fortress Craft is a game about construction, survival and destruction.

Explore vast domains and mould them in your image. Construct your own world from the materials around and defend it against would be attackers.

FortressCraft: Chapter 1 - The Creation is scheduled for released on XBox Live Indie Games this spring and will allow you and a group of friends to be masters of your own world.

* Build Your Own World
* Multiplayer
Take the world that is given to you, or level the lands and start from scratch.

With the first chapter of FortressCraft you have free reign over remodelling the world you find yourself in.

Infinite resources. A colossal world. The only limit is your own imagination.

You and your friends creating together
Multiplayer

With FortressCraft you can play with up to 31 friends over XBox Live.

Work constructively or torment your friends to shape a world in your own image.
How much will it cost?
Each chapter will cost 80MSP on XBLIG.

http://www.youtube.com/user/ProjectorGames#p/u/0/8WQ8qBXvIcg

Top Bottom