• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox Live Vision Camera hands-on preview

Kai Dracon

Writing a dinosaur space opera symphony
! I wonder if the 39.95 price is also a mistake or that's the actual retail? Did that package come with the free year of Live, etc, or would that be another pricier package for the camera?

While the camera's definitely going to cause a holocaust of nekkid geek parts spread across XBL, I'm still interested in it for stuff like Uno.

Thanks for the info. I've been interested in this device for some time. I could care less about the pictures, but I keep hearing other uses for the device, and that M$ has invested a considerable amount of technology into the device (i.e. motion sensitive games and such). We shall see........

I may look into my local Toys'R-Us this weekend and see if they screwed up at my local store as well. :D

Leo the 3rd

Lord of the Manberries
The package includes a headset, the Vision cam, and placard with codes for 1 month of Live Gold and a reg key for Uno. Yeah, I have Xbox Live. Sorry, no manberries will be shown. :)

And the contents shot:

218612878_34347fe503.jpg

Leo the 3rd said:
The package includes a headset, the Vision cam, and placard with codes for 1 month of Live Gold and a reg key for Uno. Yeah, I have Xbox Live. Sorry, no manberries will be shown. :)

Thats not the kind of action I want to see...

Chi-Town

kaching said:
Leo, so this pack didn't come with the Totemball game?

From the September issue of OXM...

"When the camera launches on September 19th, Totem Ball wil be available as a free download on Arcade."

kaching

"GAF's biggest wanker"
Got it - Gamasutra coverage earlier in the thread made it sound like they'd be *shipping* together, so I figured if the camera was shipping early, maybe the game was packed in with it.

B'z-chan

Banned
Call up your toysrus like i just did and have them look around the storage room. It doesnt have a sell date on it and its already in the computer so you should be able to buy it if no one is wise. I'm gonna pick mine up sometime today.

Tempy

don't ask me for codes
I'm pretty sure they'll implement a system where you can only see cam-generated images (decals, character skins, etc) of people you've either friended or filtered on rep. Right? right?

kyo27

Raptor Jesus said:
Awesome! :|

Now people can take screencaps of there genitals and use them as them gamerpicture!

You can always block the pictures and if you don't you only see the gamerpics of people on your friends list anyways.

----

Banned
I don't understand why they would package in another headset?

Anyone who already has a regular Xbox has a headset and if yours broke or if you bought a retard pack you can still buy a headset seperately.

For me it's like I already have UNO, I already have a headset, I already have Xbox Live, so why the hell should I pay for this camera that comes with a ton of stuff I don't need?

vatstep

This poster pulses with an appeal so broad the typical restraints of our societies fall by the wayside.
I don't foresee any issues with the implementation of this thing. I'm sure MS will safeguard it. Besides, do you really think that homophobic teenage boys (who make up a huge percentage of the XBL userbase) want to be flashing their junk to other dudes? That'd be gay. Now, if a girl enters a game, that's a different story.

Leo the 3rd

Lord of the Manberries
Ok, impressions so far:

Small - reminds me of the small Logitech webcams. Built-in focusing ring to sharpen the picture. Weighted base to keep it stable. Latency not bad at all for a webcam - and considering my connection downstairs was via WiFi 802.11G. When playing Uno, everyone can see your - live. I was playing against a guy in the UK who was complete thrown off because my gamer picture in the game was a live shot of me laughing and talking. Taking a personal picture is easy and even allows for you to zoom in and out. When taking a picture it states to center your self in the visible frame and then the actual image is a mirror image of the actual photo. I can imagine games getting interesting with folks trying to distract each other with their cameras. All in all it's worth the $40 bucks. Considering you can get the game of Uno free, a spare headset (in the even your old one craps out on you) and the free month of Live Gold. If anyone wants to check it out, you can find me on Uno this weekend under the gamertag bigman606.

Sh0k

I saw the camera at my local Toys R Us and I bought on impulse, I haven't opened it yet and I think is going back to the store tomorrow. XBOX Live is annoying enough with the microphone already.

By the way, if anybody in Miami looking for the camera, Toy's R Us at Doral have like 5-6 in stock.

Suikoguy

I whinny my fervor lowly, for his length is not as great as those of the Hylian war stallions
Leo the 3rd said:
When playing Uno, everyone can see your - live. I was playing against a guy in the UK who was complete thrown off because my gamer picture in the game was a live shot of me laughing and talking. Taking a personal picture is easy and even allows for you to zoom in and out. When taking a picture it states to center your self in the visible frame and then the actual image is a mirror image of the actual photo. I can imagine games getting interesting with folks trying to distract each other with their cameras. All in all it's worth the $40 bucks. Considering you can get the game of Uno free, a spare headset (in the even your old one craps out on you) and the free month of Live Gold. If anyone wants to check it out, you can find me on Uno this weekend under the gamertag bigman606.

... *sigh* I don't think Xbox Live will be safe for human eyes much longer

Suikoguy

I whinny my fervor lowly, for his length is not as great as those of the Hylian war stallions
BenjaminBirdie said:
Isn't there an option in UNO to not allow content from the Video Camera?

Oh, good

Damn, I shall start frantically searching for a camera now.

Well... tomorrow because all the stores are closed by now.

Suikoguy said:

I'm pretty sure there's no way for the camera to transmit anything to you with your permission (or, rather, without giving you the ability to avoid it).

That being said, you'll probably want to take a good look at your friends' list if you've got kids around, because I'm pretty sure they only way to avoid the person's Meatsicle avatar is to kick him off your list. Their personal GamerPics show up for you (as his friend) automatically.

Leo the 3rd

Lord of the Manberries
Well I played a bunch of Uno tonight and had fun freaking folks out because at the start of the game I would remain still and they would notice the unusual gamerpic and then see me move and start cracking up. I even had one guy who tried to prove to his friends I had the new Vision camera and refused to move so they wouldn't believe him. All the folks in the game started cracking up and I finally caved and moved. Much fun.

thorns

Banned
I would be interested to know how the gesture based games work .. Are they still gimmicky like eye toy games or has there been some progress made on this front? Face mapping also sounds like an interesting gimmick.

DopeyFish said:
holy shit :lol

someone ****ed up - it's not supposed to be out till sometime next month iirc

september 19th actually! you got it more than 1 month early o_O

try and resell that at a way higher price on ebay

I was playing Uno earlier today and some dude just kept slapping the camera with his penis. Disgusting.

Parts of this story may not me true such as the middle and end.

I can't wait until I get mine, called all the store none of them had it in.

GhaleonEB

Leo the 3rd said:
Well I played a bunch of Uno tonight and had fun freaking folks out because at the start of the game I would remain still and they would notice the unusual gamerpic and then see me move and start cracking up. I even had one guy who tried to prove to his friends I had the new Vision camera and refused to move so they wouldn't believe him. All the folks in the game started cracking up and I finally caved and moved. Much fun.
:lol

That's hilarious. I can't believe they shipped to stores (well, that store) a MONTH early.

And for those worried about the manberry pics - pictures taken by the cam and used as your gamerpic are seperate from your public gamerpic. It's called a "personal picture" and only those on your friends list can see it. Everyone else sees the regular gamerpic.

GhaleonEB said:

That's hilarious. I can't believe they shipped to stores (well, that store) a MONTH early.

And for those worried about the manberry pics - pictures taken by the cam and used as your gamerpic are seperate from your public gamerpic. It's called a "personal picture" and only those on your friends list can see it. Everyone else sees the regular gamerpic.
Didn't the one guy say it turned his gamer pic into a live broadcast everyone could see?

mattiewheels

And then the LORD David Bowie saith to his Son, Jonny Depp: 'Go, and spread my image amongst the cosmos. For every living thing is in anguish and only the LIGHT shall give them reprieve.'
wait. 39 bucks for a year of live, a nice little camera, and a headset that i don't have? is that the official price?

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
mattiewheels said:
wait. 39 bucks for a year of live, a nice little camera, and a headset that i don't have? is that the official price?

1 month of Live. Not 1 year

GhaleonEB

BamYouHaveAids said:
Didn't the one guy say it turned his gamer pic into a live broadcast everyone could see?
That's during the game, though, not your profile. I do hope you have the option to disable it in-game.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
tanasten said:
This is a error. I will not lend my nephews to play Online games until they're 14 atleast. Online games are fulfilled of nerds who bitches on everyone for no reason. Now, if they can rip images... ****, we all know where this is going, and I'm not a conservative person!

absolutely. Because we all know that young boys become mentally damaged when seeing a penis, even though they have one of their own, whereas being subjected to racist/verbal abuse almost constantly is life-affirming

joaomgcd

mrklaw said:
absolutely. Because we all know that young boys become mentally damaged when seeing a penis, even though they have one of their own, whereas being subjected to racist/verbal abuse almost constantly is life-affirming

ok.gif

IAmNude

Banned
So is anyone else having luck getting the camera? I need a new mic anyway. Why not get the camera for basically $10 more?

GhaleonEB

IAmNude said:
So is anyone else having luck getting the camera? I need a new mic anyway. Why not get the camera for basically $10 more?
Given your handle, I'd rather you NOT get the camera.

GhaleonEB

IAmNude said:
Now no one would have to ask me if I'm really nude like they always do. They can see for themselves
That's what I'm afraid of. Sometimes, it's better to be kept in suspense. :lol

.Abras.

If you hold the triggers on your controller while in video chat it vibrates the controller from the other.

:lol :lol :lol :lol :lol

JCBossman

Banned
This thing MIGHT just beat the O&A room on Paltalk, If Hot chicks played video games...
I noticed it's USB can this think be used with a PC, and if so can a PC with a 360 Pad and Headset and this be a full Video confernceing setup?

Top Bottom