• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox One adds Xbox 360 backwards compatibility

I would really like to see EA go that route and just start dumping 360 games onto EA Access. I want to play Syndicate again.

Do you reaaaalllly want to play it again? :p

But yes, I am 100% on board with Peter going out on stage, strutting his stuff, deliberately picking up a mic and being all "EA Games on Xbox 360? ENTER THE VAULT STARTING TODAY [preview], MORE THIS HOLIDAY", throws the mic then he rips open his shirt hulk style, shows an EA Access logo actual tattoo before Microsoft whisk him off stage.

The event will go down in legend.

djshauny

Banned
Head over to the "ready to install" section all the way to the right in the games list. Should pop up there in a little bit.

Yeah its not there. Ill try again and see what happens.

EDIT

Yeah still nothing showing.

EDIT AGAIN

Yep its there now.

Thanks mate :)

Valanarro

anyone know how this all works with DLC for each game? i only got SMB and toy soldiers so i dont really have any way of checking

FyreWulff

You know, I wonder if the 360 being able to load 2TB drives was part of getting this working (so it wouldn't freak out if the virtual 360 saw the space in the One's drive)

I would really like to see EA go that route and just start dumping 360 games onto EA Access. I want to play Syndicate again.
I need Syndicate's coop on my X1 nao.

Does 360 digital games that had regional Lock on 360, keep that lock on X1?
I have, for example, Bad Company 2 digital on 360, as it was on GwG, but I never could download it due to regional lock(for some reason I was able to get the license from the web but never was able to download it) I wonder if now that X1 is region free, I will be able to download it.

I need Syndicate's coop on my X1 nao.

Does 360 digital games that had regional Lock on 360, keep that lock on X1?
I have, for example, Bad Company 2 digital on 360, as it was on GwG, but I never could download it due to regional lock(for some reason I was able to get the license from the web but never was able to download it) I wonder if now that X1 is region free, I will be able to download it.

Most likely not because old publishing contracts.

Does a PS3 play old out-of-region PS1 games?

blamite

Quick question, sorry if this is answered somewhere really obvious, but I didn't see anything about it on my cursory glance through the information:

After I transfer my saved games from the 360 to cloud storage, can I have the Xbox One save them locally from the on, or am I stuck in the cloud? Will I have to eventually deal with running out of cloud storage space and moving saves back to the 360 hard drive to make more room?

No, PS3's will only play the same region PS1 games

They can't just make BC region free because of old publishing contracts that specify regions. They would have to clear it on a title by title basis so all parties (developers, publishers, distributors, etc.) would agree to the new terms, and then whitelist specific titles to ignore the region codes on.

This means money.

It's not happening.

Chitown B

Quick question, sorry if this is answered somewhere really obvious, but I didn't see anything about it on my cursory glance through the information:

After I transfer my saved games from the 360 to cloud storage, can I have the Xbox One save them locally from the on, or am I stuck in the cloud? Will I have to eventually deal with running out of cloud storage space and moving saves back to the 360 hard drive to make more room?

all my saves are in the cloud and I still have 250MB of space left. Unless you're saving 20 Skyrim saves, you'll probably be fine.

TheKeyPit

Banned

Somewhere in this thread someone mentioned that when playing bc titles on xbox one games will save to the xbox one cloud(unlimited cloud storage).

Edit: See post http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=169478227&postcount=4969

Daigoro

so, how am i supposed to get to the store page when i view the game on a friends profile? (im not in the preview)

i have a few friends with 360 games on their profile, but there is no hub when i press the menu button on the 360 game im viewing.

the only way i can actually see the games is if i select "compare games", but i cant figue out how to access the hub or store page from there.

Bsigg12

so, how am i supposed to get to the store page when i view the game on a friends profile? (im not in the preview)

i have a few friends with 360 games on their profile, but there is no hub when i press the menu button on the 360 game im viewing.

the only way i can actually see the games is if i select "compare games", but i cant figue out how to access the hub or store page from there.

I believe they closed that loop hole.

stl

Banned
I don't know if this has been brought up, but I think this could be a real gamechanger for the Xbox. If implemented correctly, say if they made a "Xbox storefront" on the Xbox one that included all the indie and arcade games from the 360, all of the sudden the disparity in digital titles between the ps4 and one changes drastically. Drop the parity clause, and then you have a platform for the Indies to develop for that has a 90 million userbase, but gets promoted on a next gen console. Plus there are 50 million 360 users that haven't upgraded. This Christmas they push the hell out of being $299, Halo 5, carry over your complete 360 library, and be comparable in power to the ps4. It isn't going to win the war, but if it keeps them neck and neck in the UK and USA, then the next gen in a few years isn't so much of an uphill battle.

Plasma

Banned
If I start a new Mass Effect game on the Xbox One and finish it could I upload it to the cloud and then use the save on my 360 for Mass Effect 2?

firehawk12

Subete no aware
If I start a new Mass Effect game on the Xbox One and finish it could I upload it to the cloud and then use the save on my 360 for Mass Effect 2?
Yes.

However, the one weird thing is that Mass Effect 3 (and maybe 2 as well) cannot import characters from the cloud, so I have no idea how they will handle that for the purposes of emulation. They'd have to create some kind of hard drive/memory card partition to put your save on in order to import.

(It's also one of those games with restricted saves so that you can only move saves from one device to another).

It's possible that this may have been patched, but I remember it causing problems since ME3 launched at around the same time as cloud saves were enabled.

drotahorror

When Gears 3 becomes available, go to the Xbox website and "buy" the game there. It'll be added to your 360 library regardless if you have a 360. You'll obviously need to have an active XBL Gold subscription before you do this though.

Maybe I'm just stupid but I'm trying to get the PvZ (360) for free since it's a games with gold game right now and it wants me to add a credit card to buy it.

http://marketplace.xbox.com/en-US/Product/Plants-vs-Zombies/66acd000-77fe-1000-9115-d802584109ff

That's where I'm at. I click on buy game - $14.99

Window pops up and says -

Free
You have no valid payment options on file.

Only thing to do is click - Change Payment Options.

Now it wants me to put in a credit card.

Stevey

Maybe I'm just stupid but I'm trying to get the PvZ (360) for free since it's a games with gold game right now and it wants me to add a credit card to buy it.

http://marketplace.xbox.com/en-US/Product/Plants-vs-Zombies/66acd000-77fe-1000-9115-d802584109ff

That's where I'm at. I click on buy game - $14.99

Window pops up and says -

Free
You have no valid payment options on file.

Only thing to do is click - Change Payment Options.

Now it wants me to put in a credit card.

Yeah, I had to do that with another game, you wont be charged, it's strange.
I just added a credit card, got the game for free, and removed the card from payment options.

StudioTan

Hold on, friend! I'd love to share with you some swell news about the Windows 8 Metro UI! Wait, where are you going?
I should have just done some research. Apparently XB1 games with gold can be purchased on xbox.com w/o a CC but 360 gwg can't.

You can add a Paypal account as well.

TheKeyPit

Banned
Any chance that new games will be added this coming week? I'd really like to know how "bigger" games hold up with the backwards compatibility. Hexic HD, Battleblock Theatre etc. aren't that demanding.

Considering that they've said there is no extra work needed, just publishers needing to approve, I'm a little bit worried we aren't getting any news.

Any chance that new games will be added this coming week? I'd really like to know how "bigger" games hold up with the backwards compatibility. Hexic HD, Battleblock Theatre etc. aren't that demanding.

Sure, there's a chance. There's also no reason to expect it.

Considering that they've said there is no extra work needed, just publishers needing to approve, I'm a little bit worried we aren't getting any news.

The program is still in beta preview. The news was at E3: a few games now for preview members, 100 more when BC officially launches this fall.

Fox Mulder

Probably won't be anything new until it launches. They've said nothing about adding new games to the preview, should just go forward with that expectation.

Remark

Banned
I think we may get some info mid of July tbh.

No way there gonna just roll out 100 games to public with only internal testing (which is usually only like a quick QA). It would be to risky of certain demanding games being broken or unplayable due to framerate issues or something. Could be a PR nightmare if that happened.

That makes me wonder, what's with all the patches these games received on 360? Will they be downloaded too? Almost every last-gen game had at least one patch. Some of them had important fixes and it would only make sense to make them available for the backwards compatibility aswell.

Cider X

That makes me wonder, what's with all the patches these games received on 360? Will they be downloaded too? Almost every last-gen game had at least one patch. Some of them had important fixes and it would only make sense to make them available for the backwards compatibility aswell.

My guess is they recompile each game from the latest patched version. At least I hope they do.

Has anyone else had trouble finding Kameo on his/her account? I know that I bought it digitally and downloaded it to my 360 but it doesn't show up on Xbox.com. It asked me to rebuy it for £8.99. As a result, I can't download it to the X1.

tuco11

Sorry if this has been asked.. say if COD 4 is backwards compatible will the multiplayer portion be fully playable?

The Flash

Banned

iirc the version of the game that you download contains all the latest patches. That's one of the things that MS does on their part.

Eanan

Does anyone know if backeards compatability works with digital downloaded games you've purchased with one account if you try and play then with another account on your xbox.

Get what I'm saying?

TheKeyPit

Banned
Does anyone know if backeards compatability works with digital downloaded games you've purchased with one account if you try and play then with another account on your xbox.

Get what I'm saying?

sadly you need access to the account and even then you would have to log into it on xbox one to get the content and play it.

I have geowars1, SotN, Sonic 1 and some other early xbla games on an old account but I don't remember the login for it as it was a long time ago and the account got nuked due to microsofts credit card removal policies back then.

I think as long as you sign in with the account that owns the games you should be able to sign in with the account you prefer playing and have access to these games.

Ghazi

Get what I'm saying?

I assume the digital content licenses for the 360 games work like Xbox One games. To do that, the account A needs to set the Xbox that account B is playing on as their home Xbox so that account B is allowed to play A's games without A being signed in.

mike4001_

Get what I'm saying?

I haven´t tried it myself but it should work as these BC titles behave just as every regular Xbox One game for the console.

They may not populte for the "other" account. But if you download them with the right one you should be able to play then with the other account.

klaus

Get what I'm saying?
You need to download the games with the account that owns them. Afterwards, they work for all accounts, also offline (edit: tested it myself) - basically you have the games on 2 consoles now, once on your home 360 (if still installed), and once on your home XB1 (and ofc also on other consoles when signed in with your account). Quite a neat thing, since my 360 is at another place :)

Here's what I've learned via BC the past few days:

Mass Effect runs like dog poop whether it's on an XBO or a 360.

The Mako is cool and should have been expanded on in sequels instead of just tossed aside.

The achievements for using the same party members for the entire game are the epitome of bad achievement design.

Top Bottom