• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox One adds Xbox 360 backwards compatibility

Montresor

I was browsing the Xbox Smartglass app and looked at achievement challenges(which I haven't done for quite a while) and thought: What if developers could add achievement challenges to the backwards compatible games on Xbox One?

This is a horrible idea and you should feel bad for this. Those achievement challenges are almost as bad as anything Mattrick came up with from XB1's original vision.

I am glad that they are so easy to ignore. But they provide almost no value to the customer. Why would time-limited achievements (worth zero gamerscore) have any appeal to a normal customer? Their only goal is to encourage a) early adoption, and b) software retention.

I don't want to adopt a game early. I don't want to retain software. I want to buy the game at my own pace (on sale, a year from release if necessary), and I want to be able to get rid of the game as soon as I'm finished (instead of being encouraged to retain the software for 12+ months because of staggered challenge schedules).

I'm happy with gamerscore and normal achievements... I really dislike achievement challenges.

For some reason they don't let you pay for 360 games with xbox credit from the website. You have to do it on your console. Hopefully they'll change this now so people with a Xbox One but no 360 can use their credit.

Yeah hopefully they have an Xbox 360 Backwards Compatibility Store section on the Xbox One like 360 does for games with gold for Xbox One.

shezbot

Is there any way I can redeem gwg games without a 360?

You can redeem them on a PC/tablet by going to Xbox.com Only hitch though is you need to have a credit card stored. You can use a prepaid card though, as long as it has a small balance left on it. You can still use the cards balance, as long as it hasn't expired, you will be able to redeem the free games without updating your card info. (Since the gwg games are free it wont need to use any money on the card).

pezley

Banned
Tried super meat boy, noticed the frame rate dropped a lot, particularly on the first world boss. Did the X360 do this or is this poor BC ? Not tried any other games yet

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
This is a horrible idea and you should feel bad for this. Those achievement challenges are almost as bad as anything Mattrick came up with from XB1's original vision.

I am glad that they are so easy to ignore. But they provide almost no value to the customer. Why would time-limited achievements (worth zero gamerscore) have any appeal to a normal customer? Their only goal is to encourage a) early adoption, and b) software retention.

I don't want to adopt a game early. I don't want to retain software. I want to buy the game at my own pace (on sale, a year from release if necessary), and I want to be able to get rid of the game as soon as I'm finished (instead of being encouraged to retain the software for 12+ months because of staggered challenge schedules).

We implemented these years ago (used to develop achievements for publishers) for that exact reason, we wanted people buying new on release. That was by far the most important thing to get people to do, and it was publishers' #1 priority and use of achievements. Things have evolved but the core is still the same - get people to get it day one and play the hell out of it, and that coordinates with marketing to get a heavier social media presence.

Montresor

We implemented these years ago (used to develop achievements for publishers) for that exact reason, we wanted people buying new on release. That was by far the most important thing to get people to do, and it was publishers' #1 priority and use of achievements. Things have evolved but the core is still the same - get people to get it day one and play the hell out of it, and that coordinates with marketing to get a heavier social media presence.

You know what - let me backpedal just a tiny bit. I remember getting Early Adopter achievement challenges for stuff like Titanfall and Tomb Raider Definitive earlier in the gen. I wasn't so miffed by those. I think that's fine. It's nice for someone to have that badge that states they are an "early adopter".

But I will never back down from saying I hate staggered challenge schedules that last 12+ months.

TheKeyPit

Banned

I'm happy with gamerscore and normal achievements... I really dislike achievement challenges.

I should have mentioned that the challenges would be without a limit.

Edit: There won't be any early-adopters anymore with Xbox 360 games.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
You know what - let me backpedal just a tiny bit. I remember getting Early Adopter achievement challenges for stuff like Titanfall and Tomb Raider Definitive earlier in the gen. I wasn't so miffed by those. I think that's fine. It's nice for someone to have that badge that states they are an "early adopter".

But I will never back down from saying I hate staggered challenge schedules that last 12+ months.

I don't think there's much value to it either, not the ones past launch. I've never seen a worthwhile metric that says "people will actually keep playing this six months after launch for this" because the actual value tied to the achievement isn't really there.

What would be a smart move and would help would be some way of not just coming up with challenges, but a room or showcase of challenges met. So you at least get something.

Tried super meat boy, noticed the frame rate dropped a lot, particularly on the first world boss. Did the X360 do this or is this poor BC ? Not tried any other games yet

really? Played through the whole game on XB1(3rd run through, 2 times on the 360) and didn't notice any drops....weird

Synth

I don't think there's much value to it either, not the ones past launch. I've never seen a worthwhile metric that says "people will actually keep playing this six months after launch for this" because the actual value tied to the achievement isn't really there.

What would be a smart move and would help would be some way of not just coming up with challenges, but a room or showcase of challenges met. So you at least get something.

If anything then timed achievements stopped me pursuing achievements entirely. At first it seemed like a great idea, and caused me to play some of the launch games for longer than I would have naturally, however the moment I missed a single challenge the game was basically a write-off in my mind. 0 gamerscore or not, they essentially made it impossible to fully achieve everything in a game without dedicating stupid amounts of time to it. Just getting the standard achievements no longer felt like 100%... so I stopped doing that too.

Also Crimson Dragon locking artwork and shit behind challenges like "beat this one boss 50 times this month" were horrific...

Did the Big Surf Island DLC ever come to PC? I don't think it did.

Correct. There was some hacked-together mod of it that was very unfinished, but I think that's as far as it got.

Paradise being backwards compatible would be incredible news. One of my all time favourite games. I previously said that Rock Band DLC songs transferring to next gen might be the thing that forced me into an Xbox One purchase, but if this feature really kicks into high gear then that will probably be it.

(Still on last gen here, still loving it)

shoreu

I bought Kameo online via Xbox.com, now it isn't showing up in my ready to install list on my X1. Anyone know how long this might take? I have all my other available BC games already on there but Kameo hasn't appeared :-(

Go to your preview app and there will be a quest asking you to download games click on that and it should bring up a list of what you have.

Go to your preview app and there will be a quest asking you to download games click on that and it should bring up a list of what you have.

The list just lets me snap the Kameo icon to my dashboard, not download it. Bravo Microsoft, guess you've taken my money for nothing :-(

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
If anything then timed achievements stopped me pursuing achievements entirely. At first it seemed like a great idea, and caused me to play some of the launch games for longer than I would have naturally, however the moment I missed a single challenge the game was basically a write-off in my mind. 0 gamerscore or not, they essentially made it impossible to fully achieve everything in a game without dedicating stupid amounts of time to it. Just getting the standard achievements no longer felt like 100%... so I stopped doing that too.

Also Crimson Dragon locking artwork and shit behind challenges like "beat this one boss 50 times this month" were horrific...

I agree that it sucks. If I see one going with a game I'm already playing I keep it in mind, but achievements need the big reward tied to a timeframe - but still ALLOW people to finish it.

So I feel for instance the best way to do this would be "People who get the 'Beat X Game' achievement within a week of release get some sort of compensation or reward, but not have it affect the achievement at its core at all. So you still GET the same achievement, but it's tied to some other reward method that incentivizes getting it that week - but NOT an in-game reward. Something else, like you get to put a medal somewhere, or showcase it in some manner with the achievement system.

But hey I ain't about that life anymore. Developing achievements was very fucking fun, but I've moved on.

Noobcraft

They seriously need to add Halo Reach to the games list. The only eligible games I own are defense grid and BattleBlock Theater which both run fine. I'd like to see how something like Halo Reach runs. I'd also buy a copy of RDR to see how that runs since I never got it last gen.

I agree that it sucks. If I see one going with a game I'm already playing I keep it in mind, but achievements need the big reward tied to a timeframe - but still ALLOW people to finish it.

So I feel for instance the best way to do this would be "People who get the 'Beat X Game' achievement within a week of release get some sort of compensation or reward, but not have it affect the achievement at its core at all. So you still GET the same achievement, but it's tied to some other reward method that incentivizes getting it that week - but NOT an in-game reward. Something else, like you get to put a medal somewhere, or showcase it in some manner with the achievement system.

But hey I ain't about that life anymore. Developing achievements was very fucking fun, but I've moved on.

One thing that amazes me: now that Xbox one has custom backgrounds capabilities, why haven't the publishers used this to offer such things? I know you can use achievement art but most of the 3rd party titles have generic stuff.

Also, Ubisoft offers wallpapers through Uplay rewards on Xbox One, but those are PC WALLPAPERS... WTF!

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
One thing that amazes me: now that Xbox one has custom backgrounds capabilities, why haven't the publishers used this to offer such things? I know you can use achievement art but most of the 3rd party titles have generic stuff.

Also, Ubisoft offers wallpapers through Uplay rewards on Xbox One, but those are PC WALLPAPERS... WTF!

Well, now you can make any screenshot your wallpaper, which sucks on the business end.

When I was developing this stuff it was 360/PS3 era, before knowledge of the achievement overhaul was done for the Bone. A lot of what MS has put into their core achievement functionality now wasn't a thing and there was value in it. But hey, everyone wins, it's just hard to make value out of nothing.

SFenton

Bought Paradise because even if it doesn't come to XB1 I still have a 360, plus it was only $3.75.

I have also never played Skate and would totally vouch for that title to come over.

Anyone else think we could see EA being the biggest supporter of this (besides MS themselves)? Activision probably won't do a ton of their titles- GH can't be done, CoD would cannibalize future sales, Skylanders can't/wouldn't be done anyways.

I could see a couple Ubi titles migrating (PoP and maybe some old AC please), but nothing on the scale of what I think EA could offer.

Bought Paradise because even if it doesn't come to XB1 I still have a 360, plus it was only $3.75.

I have also never played Skate and would totally vouch for that title to come over.

Anyone else think we could see EA being the biggest supporter of this (besides MS themselves)? Activision probably won't do a ton of their titles- GH can't be done, CoD would cannibalize future sales, Skylanders can't/wouldn't be done anyways.

I could see a couple Ubi titles migrating (PoP and maybe some old AC please), but nothing on the scale of what I think EA could offer.
Ubisoft already committed to Rainbow Six Vegas 1/2 so I see them being supporters. I'd personally love AC Rogue to be enabled so I can finally play through it...heard it was better than Unity.

That would be so meta.

Xbox One emulating Xbox 360 emulating Original Xbox.

yo%20dawg%20-%20dog%20-%20xzhibit.png

I heard you like Xbox

Zalman

As someone who went PS3/Wii last gen, I have very specific wishes when it comes to 360 BC. Burnout Revenge would be great since that was never released on PS3. Same thing with NFS: Most Wanted. The only HD versions of those are on Xbox. The Orange Box was not so good on PS3, so that's another one I'd like to get. Also, Tales of Vesperia.

If EA puts up NCAA 14, I'll love them forever.

Top Bottom