• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox One adds Xbox 360 backwards compatibility

EBE

Streaming to a Windows 10 PC

tumblr_n3dd8fdXjU1tud9ino2_1280.jpg

There are several good last-gen games I missed out on or haven't played because they didn't have a PC version and ran or looked like garbage on PS3, like Red Dead Redemption, Bayonetta, and The Darkness. These are my personal most wanted.
If these three games and Microsoft's exclusive 360 catalogue manage to run with backwards compatibility at least as good as they do on 360, with no additional glitches and problems, then I might actually consider getting a damned Xbone. Fuck me.

There are several good last-gen games I missed out on or haven't played because they didn't have a PC version and ran or looked like garbage on PS3, like Red Dead Redemption, Bayonetta, and The Darkness. These are my personal most wanted.
If these three games and Microsoft's exclusive 360 catalogue manage to run with backwards compatibility at least as good as they do on 360, with no additional glitches and problems, then I might actually consider getting a damned Xbone. Fuck me.

Halo 5 is worth the price of admission alone.

It's not. I don't care for Halo.
I'm interested in the Gears of War games though.

The only Xbone exclusives I currently care about are Sunset Overdrive, Scalebound, and Quantum Break.

Different strokes for different folks I guess. Weird you like Gears but not Halo. I always thought those two franchises had a lot of crossover fans.

Chitown B

This is a horrible idea and you should feel bad for this. Those achievement challenges are almost as bad as anything Mattrick came up with from XB1's original vision.

I am glad that they are so easy to ignore. But they provide almost no value to the customer. Why would time-limited achievements (worth zero gamerscore) have any appeal to a normal customer? Their only goal is to encourage a) early adoption, and b) software retention.

I don't want to adopt a game early. I don't want to retain software. I want to buy the game at my own pace (on sale, a year from release if necessary), and I want to be able to get rid of the game as soon as I'm finished (instead of being encouraged to retain the software for 12+ months because of staggered challenge schedules).

I'm happy with gamerscore and normal achievements... I really dislike achievement challenges.

www.trueachievements.com

but really, good for you but you're not the consumer they want to sell to. If everyone did that, nothing would ever get made.

I am trying to play Viva Piñata 2 but when I start it up it says "You do not have an active gamer profile. To create or load a profile, please press Xbox Guide button now."

Problem is, I am signed into my Xbox One profile when I hit the home button. Any help?

By the way, it says my game won't be saved if I continue without a profile so that doesn't seem to be an option.

EDIT: Nvm, quit the game and relaunched and it worked! :)

TheKeyPit

Banned
As I don't own any of the games on disc, that are currently on the list, can someone tell me how it actually works? Put in disc and you have to download the whole game or just the wrapper? I'm a little confused by looking at that other Xbox One backwards compatibility thread: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1076249
People stating you have to download the whole game + wrapper when having the disc.

As I don't own any of the games on disc, that are currently on the list, can someone tell me how it actually works? Put in disc and you have to download the whole game or just the wrapper? I'm a little confused by looking at that other Xbox One backwards compatibility thread: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1076249
People stating you have to download the whole game + wrapper when having the disc.

The game is the wrapper for all intents and purposes. So yes, you or the disk in and the Xbox One downloads the whole game.

Bought Paradise because even if it doesn't come to XB1 I still have a 360, plus it was only $3.75.

I have also never played Skate and would totally vouch for that title to come over.

Anyone else think we could see EA being the biggest supporter of this (besides MS themselves)? Activision probably won't do a ton of their titles- GH can't be done, CoD would cannibalize future sales, Skylanders can't/wouldn't be done anyways.

I could see a couple Ubi titles migrating (PoP and maybe some old AC please), but nothing on the scale of what I think EA could offer.

How would making COD compatible cannibalize future sales? People are going to buy the newest version regardless.

Brakara

How would making COD compatible cannibalize future sales? People are going to buy the newest version regardless.

Yeah, that's a weird argument. It's like saying Black Flag being free with gold is going to cannibalize future AC sales. It makes no sense what-so-ever.

If anything, Activision not being on board with the BC program makes me want to buy their games even less, since it means it's less likely I'll be able to play those games on future Xbox consoles (compared with games from other publishers).

aaaaa0

I am trying to play Viva Piñata 2 but when I start it up it says "You do not have an active gamer profile. To create or load a profile, please press Xbox Guide button now."

Problem is, I am signed into my Xbox One profile when I hit the home button. Any help?

By the way, it says my game won't be saved if I continue without a profile so that doesn't seem to be an option.

EDIT: Nvm, quit the game and relaunched and it worked! :)

Try pressing "Start" (Option / Hamburger button) and "Back" (View / Two Rectangles button) at the same time.

That triggers the emulated Xbox Guide button.

Mr Reasonable

Completely Unreasonable
I actually think that people on the fence about next gen could be convinced to move to a new system with backwards compatibility. This could mean more sales for COD, etc. Since the next gen player base will be bigger. (I assume the next COD is X1 only, no 360 release.)

I'm gonna ask here as the Xbox support really haven't figured it out, it's slightly off-topic but maybe related to the preview program I'm guessing a lot of you also are using as you are in this thread. My screenshot function is not available. I simply do not have the Y and X optiosn to either take a screenshot or record when i double tap the Xbox guide button. I'm talking about these options:

screenshotxboxone.0.jpg

Anybody else have this problem?

im_dany

True, nobody bought any new CoD games on the 360 after Modern Warfare.

People bought MW2 and 3 because they expected improvements, why would anyone buy another IW nowadays? IW is dead.
Sledgehammer flopped pretty hard with AW and lost the small confidence people had.
The only dev remaining is Treyarch, and zombie mode would sell copies even if the game had 2 hours campaign and a bad mp.

WillyFive

People bought MW2 and 3 because they expected improvements, why would anyone buy another IW nowadays? IW is dead.
Sledgehammer flopped pretty hard with AW and lost the small confidence people had.
The only dev remaining is Treyarch, and zombie mode would sell copies even if the game had 2 hours campaign and a bad mp.

You have a narrative in your head that you don't realize is only in your head.

Raide

360 resurgence could be great for older games. It might increase there popularity, which might make it easier for developers and publishers to see a need for sequels.

Not sure what they do about games with servers dead. Hopefully Azure is used, even for the lesser know games.

Hoping for a ChromeHounds revival!!!

mike4001_

I'm gonna ask here as the Xbox support really haven't figured it out, it's slightly off-topic but maybe related to the preview program I'm guessing a lot of you also are using as you are in this thread. My screenshot function is not available. I simply do not have the Y and X optiosn to either take a screenshot or record when i double tap the Xbox guide button. I'm talking about these options:

Anybody else have this problem?

This should not be the case.

Do a hard reboot and try again.

If this does not resolve it you can only let the MS support know of it or as a last resort factory reset your console.

EDIT: Just read it again, and as you are already in contact with MS basically your only option would be the factory reset. Sucks, but I really don´t see anything else you can try on your end.

leeh

It's not. I don't care for Halo.
I'm interested in the Gears of War games though.

The only Xbone exclusives I currently care about are Sunset Overdrive, Scalebound, and Quantum Break.
You have to consider FH2, I bet you get told this a lot but it's one the best games to grace the racing genre in a very long time.

This should not be the case.

Do a hard reboot and try again.

If this does not resolve it you can only let the MS support know of it or as a last resort factory reset your console.

EDIT: Just read it again, and as you are already in contact with MS basically your only option would be the factory reset. Sucks, but I really don´t see anything else you can try on your end.

I'm fearing this too, I have tried a lot of things which the MS support told me. I might just wait for a system update though and hopefully it fixes it.

BokehKing

Banned
Because #xboxorweriot or whatever, they're are itching to ruin the shift to a different system. I do find it interesting that Red Dead was the most requested game... A 3rd party title, says a lot.

So I guess because I bought Skyrim digitally I should just be able to search for it? They don't really expect me to buy it again right?

mike4001_

I'm fearing this too, I have tried a lot of things which the MS support told me. I might just wait for a system update though and hopefully it fixes it.

You can try this.

But if all your games are on an external harddrive than the factory reset costs you about 15 minutes and everything should be ready again :)

You can try this.

But if all your games are on an external harddrive than the factory reset costs you about 15 minutes and everything should be ready again :)

Sadly no, but at the moment I'm in-between games and have finished the ones I have. Maybe it's a good time to do it?!

StudioTan

Hold on, friend! I'd love to share with you some swell news about the Windows 8 Metro UI! Wait, where are you going?
Mass Effect is available for 3,99€ for gold members. I think I have to test it now with BC on Xbox One.

I have it on disc but thinking of rebuying at that price because I'm over having to use discs, I much prefer digital.

So why did people buy Ghosts then if IW was already dead?

I didn't know that AW flopped, people seemed to really like it.

Not saying you are wrong in your assessment of the games but to think that newer games wouldn't sell because of old games being playable is really weird. You also have to realize that older COD games like MW, MW2 are infested woth hackers and Activision/IW/TA doesn't care one bit to maintain the MP.

Top Bottom