• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox One April Update Preview Now LIVE - Friend Online Notifications are back(soon)!

Delryk

The only thing that bugs me is they haven't really hot fix anything else the big preview update.. lol. ahwell.. finishing up a few games on the 360 in the meantime

ryan299

I've had the update for two weeks now and haven't got one notification yet. In fact achievements don't even pop for me anymore. The amount of new glitches that come with each update is ridiculous.

EvB

Correct, but.. Why does hanging a door knocker put a leak in the back yard pool. What touched the drive code?

It was the low power code I'd suspect which was probably in relation to the silent update addition they have made.

op_ivy

Fallen Xbot (cannot continue gaining levels in this class)
havent played in at least a week. turned on the console, got an update, installed it.

went to play dr3 (disc) and the console tells me my disc is dirty and it wont read it. i eject the disc, it looks fine, try a few more times only to get the same message. take out dr3, insert forza, same thing.

wtf. possibly unrelated, but anyone else having a similar issue? is this common? grrrr

Rockyrock

havent played in at least a week. turned on the console, got an update, installed it.

went to play dr3 (disc) and the console tells me my disc is dirty and it wont read it. i eject the disc, it looks fine, try a few more times only to get the same message. take out dr3, insert forza, same thing.

wtf. possibly unrelated, but anyone else having a similar issue? is this common? grrrr

you have to completely reboot your console every time you want to switch discs as it stands now.

zedge

Someone didnt read the past few posts. ;)

Yea, you have to cold boot the console to get it working again.

zedge

Bluray drive update. Yay!

http://forums.xbox.com/xbox_forums/...iew_support/wave_2_1404/f/4612/t/1725378.aspx

OVERALL STATUS UPDATE: We have fixes identified for all three Blu-ray software issues that are undergoing testing before releasing them in a system update to the preview community. Testing will be carried out over the next few days to ensure that no new issues are discovered with these fixes, as well as with additional fixes that are being bundled in the next system update.

zebwinz

Wow, instant game resume really works now. I spent the last few days playing through inFamous but still using the Xbox One daily for TV, Netflix, etc. I went to play Titanfall yesterday and it opened to an in-game splash screen saying "You've been disconnected due to inactivity". So Titanfall had been sitting in a suspended state for at least five days, pretty cool.

Jeff-DSA

As someone who has had an XB1 since day one, I'm still pissed at how terrible it is. We're still getting updates that given us BASIC functions that were core functions of the 360. Navigating the UI with a controller is ridiculous and using Kinect is embarrassing and bad. Unless I'm in a match of Titanfall, the system is just aggravating.

Get it together, Microsoft. I've never hated a console so quickly after buying it.

kazinova

As someone who has had an XB1 since day one, I'm still pissed at how terrible it is. We're still getting updates that given us BASIC functions that were core functions of the 360. Navigating the UI with a controller is ridiculous and using Kinect is embarrassing and bad. Unless I'm in a match of Titanfall, the system is just aggravating.

Get it together, Microsoft. I've never hated a console so quickly after buying it.

This seems like a strange place to vent this frustration.

jem0208

I really don't see the problem people have when using a controller. What part of the UI actually annoys you apart from unfamiliarity?

Also, while I can somewhat understand VC being a little embaressing, in what way are they "bad"?

Jeff-DSA

I really don't see the problem people have when using a controller. What part of the UI actually annoys you apart from unfamiliarity?

Also, while I can somewhat understand VC being a little embaressing, in what way are they "bad"?

Unfamiliarity? After 6 months? No, the layout is pure trash. And Kinect has a poor recognition rate.

Basically, it isn't much improved over how it was back then: http://stupidgamer.com/2013/11/25/the-xbox-one-interface-pisses-me-right-off/

Mild, improvement, sure, but after 6 months, it's still a sad joke.

zebwinz

Unfamiliarity? After 6 months? No, the layout is pure trash. And Kinect has a poor recognition rate.

Basically, it isn't much improved over how it was back then: http://stupidgamer.com/2013/11/25/the-xbox-one-interface-pisses-me-right-off/

Mild, improvement, sure, but after 6 months, it's still a sad joke.

Run setup again, crank the volume up during it, and you should never have any real issues with voice detection. If you do, your Kinect is broken, so send it in.

watership

Run setup again, crank the volume up during it, and you should never have any real issues with voice detection. If you do, your Kinect is broken, so send it in.

The volume during the calibration is so key. It says to put the volume up in the instructions but so many don't turn it up enough or at all. That leads to conversation level talking just failing 50 percent of the time.

JeffG

The volume during the calibration is so key. It says to put the volume up in the instructions but so many don't turn it up enough or at all. That leads to conversation level talking just failing 50 percent of the time.

Have to turn it up loud enough for the Xbone to say its too loud. Then back off just a little bit. Also, anytime you move anything, consider re-calibrating.

TrueGrime

Anyone having trouble with pages not loading? My main screen is fine but my pinned apps on the left and the games, movies, etc. screen on the right doesn't load. I just see the loading circle spinning constantly. However, if I use the voice to go to the apps I can't see they work fine.

TrueGrime

Anyone having trouble with pages not loading? My main screen is fine but my pinned apps on the left and the games, movies, etc. screen on the right doesn't load. I just see the loading circle spinning constantly. However, if I use the voice to go to the apps I can't see they work fine.

Nevermind. When it doubt just cold boot the system.

op_ivy

wat. Voice and face recognition works 99% of The time.
just calibrate it correctly and it will work.

i dont know if its a bug or hardware related, but kinect's success rate seems to vary wildly between users. mine for example works almost flawlessly for normal commands, but mysteriously stopped working for "xbox on" and now for the life of me i cant get it to turn off via voice commands. "xbox off" works just fine, but it almost never hears me "yes" command to confirm.

its inconsistent to say the least.

Bsigg12

i dont know if its a bug or hardware related, but kinect's success rate seems to vary wildly between users. mine for example works almost flawlessly for normal commands, but mysteriously stopped working for "xbox on" and now for the life of me i cant get it to turn off via voice commands. "xbox off" works just fine, but it almost never hears me "yes" command to confirm.

I was having issues with the Yes part of Xbox Off but had to cold boot because of a hardlock and now Kinect works better then it did. Recognition is even faster and the voice command accuracy is up. I don't what is going on.

zebwinz

The Yes bug when turning off the system is a known bug in the preview update. Should be a couple posts about it in this thread

op_ivy

I was having issues with the Yes part of Xbox Off but had to cold boot because of a hardlock and now Kinect works better then it did. Recognition is even faster and the voice command accuracy is up. I don't what is going on.

i'll try that, again. hilarious that the go to thing to correct issues is to hard reset the system. why do i even keep it in "sleep" mode? i love my x1 but right now it is one (minor) buggy mess after another. wonder when it will function as it should?

I wish they would say which issues from that huge list they once got are on their list of things they will probably get fixed/change.

If they won't (ever) let me have my system in german with german voice commands (mostly for girlfriend) all while having my games in english [without the set system language to english, reboot, play, set system language back to german, reboot], then I might as well give my xbox one to my parents completely and set my PS4 up in my living room... I just CAN'T play my games in german, it PAINES me.

Rvaisse

i'll try that, again. hilarious that the go to thing to correct issues is to hard reset the system. why do i even keep it in "sleep" mode? i love my x1 but right now it is one (minor) buggy mess after another. wonder when it will function as it should?

You should opt out of the beta program if you're bothered by bugs like these, coz it will never function as it should running a beta version of the OS.

Bsigg12

I want a feature to check all apps and games for updates and install found updates. Even with standby on, my console never updates anything automatically.

op_ivy

You should opt out of the beta program if you're bothered by bugs like these, coz it will never function as it should running a beta version of the OS.

its buggy in or out of the beta program, lol.

Spasm

mistur niceguy teases new features coming in the next build.

mistur niceguy said:
Hey, Gamers. The Blu-ray software fixes, along with additional fixes mentioned in yesterday's status update (Kinect not responding after the "Xbox, turn off command", Live TV not playing in surround sound, and other fixes) are still running through internal testing. We also have features enabled in this coming build, along with additional fixes for issues that existed prior to the 1404 update.

We also have a couple of unannounced features that you have been requesting contained in this upcoming build, and are they are there as a direct result of your feedback. It's been longer than we would have liked since rolling out the last update, and we appreciate your patience as we continue testing the planned update. Thank you for your continued patience and for continuing to provide feedback on the existing update. We've seen a lot of great finds from the community recently, along with feature requests and suggestions that we've been sending over to the development teams.

We know that you're anxiously awaiting some new features to test out in this release, and with that in mind keep an eye out on the forums tomorrow. We do have some great features that you will be the first to be able to preview, and we hope that you'll like what you see. As mentioned at the start of the program, there are some features that will be enabled outside of a system update, and these features will be available to preview before the next system update releases.

(Did you ever notice that there are some skipped numbers in the forums topics? Almost like there's something there, waiting to be revealed?)

Now that he mentions it, sections 7 and 9 are missing from the forum index. What could they be?

The Flash

Banned
mistur niceguy teases new features coming in the next build.

Now that he mentions it, sections 7 and 9 are missing from the forum index. What could they be?

Please be screenshot function.

Also. Off topic but dang. I want this.

p5UhHox.png

http://imgur.com/a/N1ED1#p5UhHox

Rvaisse

So smartglass compatibility for Oneguide and One guide in selected countries of Europe are coming today in the preview update program ?
That's very good news.

Source : MajorNelson

Have to say, all the utter shit and disgrace of last year, they are knocking it out of the park lately with restructuring of the Xbox division and it's feature set, the system has only been out a few months.

zedge

There is a work around for the blu ray drive issue when swapping discs if you don't want to cold boot.

When you eject the disc and the Xbox grabs it back. Wait about 30 seconds for the bluray to wake back up, you will see the disc being read again. Then eject it again and swap discs. Confirmed this works.

There is a work around for the blu ray drive issue when swapping discs if you don't want to cold boot.

When you eject the disc and the Xbox grabs it back. Wait about 30 seconds for the bluray to wake back up, you will see the disc being read again. Then eject it again and swap discs. Confirmed this works.

Believe it's coming shortly and is common. Happening to a friend and I on the program.

Curious what the new unannounced features are they are adding to the preview today. Smartglass One Guide features seems like it might be one of them?

Edit: The new forums are up:

Forum 07 - Live TV OneGuide Expansion Markets (Canada, UK, France, Germany, Spain, Italy)

Forum 09 - Smartglass (updated Smartglass functionality on your mobile devices)

Meh. Cool for users in those countries though!

Updated list of what's "in":

What to expect in this update preview

For those of you that participated in last month’s (1403) update preview, this preview wave will be a little different:

The 1404 update preview will run a bit longer than the 1403 preview. As a result, not all of the features listed below will be available in the first 1404 update. Some features will be enabled in 1404 updates that are rolled out later in the preview.
Some of the features listed below will be enabled outside of a console update. Keep an eye on the forums for announcements and information on when new features are made available.
What’s new in this release?

Game and app saves and updates. A game save progress bar will show you the status of your game saves. You will also be able to easily tell what games and apps are being updated or have been updated recently.
Friends improvements. Notifications will be added to see when favorites and friends sign in to Xbox Live. This actually was one of the most frequently requested features from the first preview wave and we made it a priority to include it in the April update. Also, friends who are in multiplayer will be identified in the friends list. We’ll also add the ability to view friends’ most popular apps.
Blu-ray 50 Hz video output support for content recorded at 50 Hz will resolve video playback issues some Xbox Live members in Europe are experiencing.
Kinect voice and motion improvements will continue to fine tune the quality and reliability of Xbox One commands.
Improved GameDVR video quality through compression algorithm improvements.
Updates to Xbox One device management to address issues controlling TVs, set top boxes, and receivers that our customers have reported.
New audio settings to tune how much volume is lowered when Kinect is used in communications.
*NEW* OneGuide expansion in new markets. Participants in Canada, UK, France, Germany, Spain and Italy will begin to explore additional live TV features, including TV listings in OneGuide and using voice to change the channel directly from any activity in Xbox One.
*NEW* OneGuide and Universal Remote Control in SmartGlass. SmartGlass will become the ultimate remote control for your living room bringing all the features of OneGuide - TV listings, Favorites, and App Channels - to user's tablets and smartphones making it easier than ever to watch their favorite TV shows and movies from their cable of satellite services or from Apps. Additionally, SmartGlass will have a Universal Remote Control that enables users to control their cable or satellite box directly from SmartGlass, including setting new recordings and watching recorded shows on their DVR. OneGuide and Universal Remote Control in SmartGlass will be available to preview participants in US, Canada, UK, France, Germany, Spain, and Italy.

sangreal

heh, smartglass was my next guess since I noticed they added a min. beta version to the settings file

I wonder how setting recordings will work

Top Bottom