• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

XBox One Architecture Explained - Runs OS ‘Virtually Indistinguishable from Windows 8

BibiMaghoo

Let people use office without paying £70 a YEAR to use it, and it might just work.

Not because people want it in general on the console, but that the annual pricing scheme for Office is fucking absurd, and far to expensive in the long run for non business use. Otherwise the idea that running windows software beyond apps on the Bone seems weird.

Emulators though? That could be fantastic for gamers.

Synth

Let people use office without paying £70 a YEAR to use it, and it might just work.

Not because people want it in general on the console, but that the annual pricing scheme for Office is fucking absurd, and far to expensive in the long run for non business use. Otherwise the idea that running windows software beyond apps on the Bone seems weird.

Emulators though? That could be fantastic for gamers.

I don't think anybody is actually suggesting software beyond apps. Office would be an app, not the desktop version of the software.

BibiMaghoo

I don't think anybody is actually suggesting software beyond apps. Office would be an app, not the desktop version of the software.

I think the app route is doomed to failure. Who has been successful with an app market beyond mobile devices? I can't think of anyone. The cheap throwaway nature of app stores and contents does not translate well to a console in my opinion. Having a 'suit' of available PC software is far more enticing, and I would imagine of more interest to the general public than ''look, another app store filled with junk'' - by which I am referring to the W8 app store.

I use Windows 8 every day. The OS is great. The market does not exist to me

Synth

I think the app route is doomed to failure. Who has been successful with an app market beyond mobile devices? I can't think of anyone. The cheap throwaway nature of app stores and contents does not translate well to a console in my opinion. Having a 'suit' of available PC software is far more enticing, and I would imagine of more interest to the general public than ''look, another app store filled with junk'' - by which I am referring to the W8 app store.

I use Windows 8 every day. The OS is great. The market does not exist to me

I don't think there have really been any applicable attempts to compare. If Apple let the Apple TV access the App Store, and packaged it with a control system that could somewhat approximate touchscreen controls then we'd have a clear answer to whether or not this would work. As it stands though, The Xbox One would probably be the first time something like this has really been attempted. I can't think of anything else that would be able to transition an app created for a tablet directly to a console with almost no work in between.

I can't see standard desktop software ever happening. That would require exposing far too much of the system (and would only work with a m+kb really). As mentioned previously, once MS gets this out...
Screen-Shot-2014-04-02-at-1.44.27-PM.png
...more apps that are suitable for standard desktop use will be available. These would still have the required UI functionality to run in full screen and with other forms of input however, and so would be better suited for use on a console than todays desktop apps would be. At the end of the day, apps are just software, and I can't see why additional software would fail simply because it's on a console. The days of a console being purely for games are already behind us. When I sign into my X1 and look at my friends list there is always people showing as watching TV, Twitch or Netflix... offering them any other apps for content consumption would only be a plus, and an app store would be the quickest way to get them.

Also, whilst I rarely check the Win8 store... the apps do exist to me (as mentioned, Plex, Weave, Netflix, Comixology) because they serve me better than the alternative desktop options (usually a browser based solution). There can be endless amounts of crap in a store, they just need to help the few worthwhile apps float up so people become aware they exist.

JaggedSac

I don't think there have really been any applicable attempts to compare. If Apple let the Apple TV access the App Store, and packaged it with a control system that could somewhat approximate touchscreen controls then we'd have a clear answer to whether or not this would work. As it stands though, The Xbox One would probably be the first time something like this has really been attempted. I can't think of anything else that would be able to transition an app created for a tablet directly to a console with almost no work in between.

This is almost certainly coming. They won't package it with a controller though, but they will offer a first party one. Margins on controllers are something Apple would love to get in to. They added the controller API for TV in particular in my opinion. Expect the same chipset that is in the latest iPhones to be in the next Apple TV.

Yeah, I'm fairly sure it was this one: http://channel9.msdn.com/Events/Build/2014/2-649.

Here's the full list of Xbox sessions at Build: http://channel9.msdn.com/Events/Buil...term=&tag=xbox

Thank you good sir. They must have changed some of the session names after the announcement. Which makes sense if they didn't want to let the cat out of the bag early.

Calabi

Completely agree with this. The idea of using Office on my 65" HDTV while sitting 12 feet away on my couch is just retarded. Why would I bother when simply flipping open my laptop on the couch is 1000x more efficient and ergonomic? Digital convergence is cool but it has limits beyond which the idea is simply ridiculous for 99.99% of the population.

Lol! I dont think this is quite the idea. Offices could buy Xbox One's instead of a pc box. Highly absurd of course but that's what I would try and do if I was Microsoft.

If I could do Digital Editing with software like Modo and photoshop then I'd probably buy one, I think a lot of people would.

Top Bottom