• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox One Backwards Compatibility Thread: Everyone wants it, no one uses it

Mr Reasonable

Completely Unreasonable
FFS, Microsoft is just trolling us at this point. The voting feature is meaningless, just a smokescreen. If I wasn't on mobile I'd look up just how many votes those 4 games have, I'm curious.

I guess it depends who you think is the gatekeeper. Microsoft, who want as many games as possible on their platform or a publisher who might want to use their game as a preorder incentive or might want to issue a remaster that's bundled with the latest installment in a premium package that would be undermined by making a title backwards compatible.

I think there'd be many more BC titles if Microsoft had automatic approval from all the publishers.

Brakara

I think there'd be many more BC titles if Microsoft had automatic approval from all the publishers.

Pretty much this. In Microsoft's perfect world, all 360 titles would be BC now. I mean, they have absolutely nothing to gain by "trolling us", so making such claims are ridiculous.

Ask yourself, with Activision having 0 BC titles, is that because of MS or Activision? If you think the former has all the blame, then you're officially a crazy person.

Chris1

Pretty much this. In Microsoft's perfect world, all 360 titles would be BC now. I mean, they have absolutely nothing to gain by "trolling us", so making such claims are ridiculous.

Ask yourself, with Activision having 0 BC titles, is that because of MS or Activision? If you think the former has all the blame, then you're officially a crazy person.

Well, Activision is already confirmed to be on board for at least BO1, so how is it Activisions fault here? Activision has done their part, the blame isn't on them any more (for BO1).

The head of BC guy said they have to play each game to completion which takes most of the time, so a game like Lumines live took 200 hours to finish, I speculated they might have to play CoD's to 10th prestige etc with all unlocks, it depends what they mean exactly by playing to completion but if I'm correct then it would explain why it's taking a longer time than most games.

pretty much

Hasney

I guess it depends who you think is the gatekeeper. Microsoft, who want as many games as possible on their platform or a publisher who might want to use their game as a preorder incentive or might want to issue a remaster that's bundled with the latest installment in a premium package that would be undermined by making a title backwards compatible.

Yup, then combine it with the fact that the emulator is likely to not be totally 100% compatible yet, they can't churn everything out.

Mr Reasonable

Completely Unreasonable
Well, Activision is already confirmed to be on board for at least BO1, so how is it Activisions fault here? Activision has done their part, the blame isn't on them any more (for BO1).

The head of BC guy said they have to play each game to completion which takes most of the time, so a game like Lumines live took 200 hours to finish, I speculated they might have to play CoD's to 10th prestige etc with all unlocks, it depends what they mean exactly by playing to completion but if I'm correct then it would explain why it's taking a longer time than most games.

Yeah, that's probably it, that some guy's grinding out 10 prestiges, not that Activision dragged their heels.

Hasney

If it works fine, it's still up to Activision to actually pull the trigger. That's what we're assuming on Skate 3 too. Probably for some sort of advantageous situation for them.

Final Fight won't show up on my Xbox One. I have the full game according to Xbox.com (when I visit the page of the game), but it's not in my purchase history. I still have the full game on my 360 and can play it just fine, no demo. In the store on 360 it says I don't own the game however. What the hell MS. :/

Same problem here.

Chris1

Yeah, that's probably it, that some guy's grinding out 10 prestiges, not that Activision dragged their heels.
What do you think they mean by completing the game then? Just complete the campaign, call it a day and release it BC hoping multiplayer/zombies isn't broke? what if 15th prestige calling card fucks up the game? gold camo? etc. We've already seen weird graphical glitches with BC games already.

He said it took over 200 hours to beat Lumines Live!, which I've never played but it looks a small puzzle game with skins, I don't know how you could get even close to 200 hours into this unless they were doing literally everything in the game and testing every skin etc. In that case how is that different to testing every camo etc in COD?

Forsythia

Same problem here.

I'm still having the same issue, a hard reset doesn't help. I posted this on the Xbox forums, so they'll look into this.

I'm from the Netherlands, one other guy on the Xbox forums with the same issue seems to be Dutch as well. Are any of you Dutch too perhaps? Maybe it's a regional issue?

Quikies83

I'm still having the same issue, a hard reset doesn't help. I posted this on the Xbox forums, so they'll look into this.

I'm from the Netherlands, one other guy on the Xbox forums with the same issue seems to be Dutch as well. Are any of you Dutch too perhaps? Maybe it's a regional issue?
NA here

amdb00mer

What do you think they mean by completing the game then? Just complete the campaign, call it a day and release it BC hoping multiplayer/zombies isn't broke? what if 15th prestige calling card fucks up the game? gold camo? etc. We've already seen weird graphical glitches with BC games already.

He said it took over 200 hours to beat Lumines Live!, which I've never played but it looks a small puzzle game with skins, I don't know how you could get even close to 200 hours into this unless they were doing literally everything in the game and testing every skin etc. In that case how is that different to testing every camo etc in COD?

That's exactly what he said. Don't have a link on hand, but they had to play all the DLC and every level and variation to make sure it worked 100%.

YoshiMax

Something's not right with Final Fight - if I view it in the store rather than install or buy options I get an option to go to the game hub - from there I have a launch option but clicking that completes the loop and takes me back to the store page.

Something's not right with Final Fight - if I view it in the store rather than install or buy options I get an option to go to the game hub - from there I have a launch option but clicking that completes the loop and takes me back to the store page.

Same for me, I've done a hard reset and everything and it just isn't showing up in my download list :-/

Chris1

That's exactly what he said. Don't have a link on hand, but they had to play all the DLC and every level and variation to make sure it worked 100%.

Yea, so when you imagine CoD with all the different guns, camos, calling cards, content etc you're looking at a loooooooot of work, and that's not even counting the time they're gonna have to spend unlocking all of it or fixing any bugs they find.

Though that doesn't excuse Bioshock etc still not being BC yet since it's been like 7 months and those games don't really have as much content as COD. But it might explain why the CoD games will take a long time to come over.

Mr Reasonable

Completely Unreasonable

Sorry for being flippant. What I was trying to say is that no matter how many hours of testing is required, can't believe that Activision's reluctance to make the game available isn't a bigger factor in the game not being available by now.

Of course, I could be wrong, but there are other Activision games on 360 too, right? How many of them are BC?

Well, I know that Black Ops had an infamous FPS issue when it came to PS3 & PC (due to Treyarch apparently optimizing it for 360 only or something like that). I wonder if that issue has risen again due to the emulated environment it's running under.

Well, I know that Black Ops had an infamous FPS issue when it came to PS3 & PC (due to Treyarch apparently optimizing it for 360 only or something like that). I wonder if that issue has risen again due to the emulated environment it's running under.

I have a feeling that it already works but has issues like gears 3 with input lag when lots is going on, which would bea real mess to play for a fast twitch shooter.

im_dany

Actually it used to drop really bad (to 20-25 fps iirc) on 360 too when someone called a napalm strike on multiplayer. Not much they can do about that with emulation though

JaggedSac

Forced Unleashed II has such smoother gameplay than the first. Everything just feels so much better in terms of combat and force powers.

amdb00mer

Yea, so when you imagine CoD with all the different guns, camos, calling cards, content etc you're looking at a loooooooot of work, and that's not even counting the time they're gonna have to spend unlocking all of it or fixing any bugs they find.

Though that doesn't excuse Bioshock etc still not being BC yet since it's been like 7 months and those games don't really have as much content as COD. But it might explain why the CoD games will take a long time to come over.

I think 2K Games is going to hold off on allowing Bioshock to be BC until the collection is released. Once they have their sales from that I think the 360 versions will be released.

Germany here. Still nothing. Can you post a link to the thread on the Xbox forums?

Forced Unleashed II has such smoother gameplay than the first. Everything just feels so much better in terms of combat and force powers.

Level design is terrible though.

Just finished Lego Star Wars: The Complete Saga 100%. Now would be a great time to get Lego Star Wars III up on BC. Especially with Lego TFA not too far away...

Interesting, Major Nelson just confirmed on Reddit that multidisc support work has been done by BC engineers. Hope this means Lost Odyssey is coming soon!

Interesting, Major Nelson just confirmed on Reddit that multidisc support work has been done by BC engineers. Hope this means Lost Odyssey is coming soon!
Ms should make LO GwG the month they get it working. So many people missed out on it and it is such an amazing experience. I can't wait to play it again.

RavenH2

Good! Can you link the confirmation?

I hope they find a workaround for Mass Effect save issue with the cloud saved games, and of course release Mass Effect 2 and 3

Bought Fable 2. So far so good.

There has been slow down now and again but it was like that originally for me.

Never played fable, is the remake compatible yet as its not on the store.

Flux

Bought Fable 2. So far so good.

There has been slow down now and again but it was like that originally for me.

Never played fable, is the remake compatible yet as its not on the store.

I dont think so. I started playing it on my 360 since I didnt want to wait.

Livingskeletons

If I pulled that off, would you die?

I'll just be glad if we get BLOPS at all at this point.

JaggedSac

Level design is terrible though.

Yeah, that is true. And they changed the leveling system for the worse. I have to say not having to go through a loading menu to upgrade force powers or the lightsaber is a fantastic change too, lol. It also seems like it might be a bit short, think I am getting close to the end.

Ms should make LO GwG the month they get it working. So many people missed out on it and it is such an amazing experience. I can't wait to play it again.

Lost Oddyssey was the true Final Fantasy of last gen, as far as I'm concerned. Shame Mistwalker doesn't seem interested in making AAA games anymore. If it had been ported to PS3 it probably would've done better.

Top Bottom