• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox One Backwards Compatibility Thread: Everyone wants it, no one uses it

jelly

Lol at the current discounted RDR price. It was dirt cheap not long ago, got a bit more expensive in recent times but still cheap and now it's sky rocketed and that's a sale price! Don't you have enough money Rockstar.

Chris1

http://www.gamespot.com/articles/xbox-one-s-seeing-unprecedented-demand-backwards-c/1100-6442736/

Another piece of news this week from Xbox is that the Xbox One's backwards compatibility feature continues to be popular. Greenberg said it's seen a "huge amount of engagement" since its launch in November 2015, with more than 145 million hours played. There are now more than 230 games in the Xbox One's backwards compatibility lineup--and Red Dead Redemption is finally among them.

more than 145 million hours on BC titles. It was over 100M as of 28th June. So ~45M in about 6 weeks?

You keep overlooking the word "choice". Almost all blu-ray players were back compatible and played DVDs. Were they true HD? Nope, but at least people had a choice to continue using the movies they owned without being forced to rebuy and have to use two separate devices. So, the same principle of back compat and choice applies to your blu-ray example.

My household has 4 Xbox 360 games in it. I didn't play man Xbox 360 games until the became backwards compatible (eg. Stick of Truth). Some people just want to turn on 1 machine and play everything in the same place.

Guess im cheap for enjoying the ability to play all my games on one machine.

My comments were directed at people complaining about remasters on Xbox One and how it means they won't get backwards compatability of the orignal disc, not about backwards compatability itself. Learn to read the topic not knee jerk at my opinion out of context.

Man babies crying becuse they have to buy a superior version.

amdb00mer

My comments were directed at people complaining about remasters on Xbox One and how it means they won't get backwards compatability of the orignal disc, not about backwards compatability itself. Learn to read the topic not knee jerk at my opinion out of context.

Man. Babies crying because people want to use what they already have.

Hasney

I mean, ignoring the sentiment of you staging things like a dickhead, it's not even always the case that they are superior. The High Voltage ports are usually fairly incompetent.

TBiddy

Gotta love a post like this. Great job.

Great reasoned argument and name calling in these responses. Remasters in most cases are better than the originals. Don't hate them becuse you can't play your old version for free Because it's not going to be backwards compatible.

im_dany

TIL forcing people to purchase an upscaled version of a game they already bought less than 3 years ago (which is the case for most of the so-called Remastered/Definitive/Complete editions) is ok because they're better than the originals.

I thought giving people choice was the best thing but apparently I was wrong.

Btw, I still have my 360 but it's much more convenient to be able to play my games all on one console.

TBiddy

TIL forcing people to purchase an upscaled version of a game they already bought less than 3 years ago (which is the case for most of the so-called Remastered/Definitive/Complete editions) is ok because they're better than the originals.

I thought giving people choice was the best thing but apparently I was wrong.

Btw, I still have my 360 but it's much more convenient to be able to play my games all on one console.

Man baby.

Xbudz

They seem to be slowing down with the backwards compatibility.
I really hope they add hundreds more titles.. or you know, just Virtua Fighter 2/5, Fighting Vipers and Daytona USA.

I'm playing through X-Com right now. Freaking awesome game.

And because of back compatibility, I'm going to purchase X-Com 2 and South Park: FBW.

FZW

They seem to be slowing down with the backwards compatibility.
I really hope they add hundreds more titles.. or you know, just Virtua Fighter 2/5, Fighting Vipers and Daytona USA.

No they are not

Great reasoned argument and name calling in these responses. Remasters in most cases are better than the originals. Don't hate them becuse you can't play your old version for free Because it's not going to be backwards compatible.
This is a very legitimate reason to hate them

Bomberman, good deal. Something that we are never going to get a current generation iteration of.

$&@#ing Konami.

Time to get the kids addicted.

jim2011

Think Bomberman will go on sale in next few months? Would be a great couch party game but not sure I want to pay its full launch price from 2010 ($10).

Also, any impressions?

Think Bomberman will go on sale in next few months? Would be a great couch party game but not sure I want to pay its full launch price from 2010 ($10).

Also, any impressions?

I can't recall the Bomberman titles ever going on sale, but who knows... It's a solid version worth $10, IMO. AFAIR, it won't give you a single player action-puzzle 'adventure' mode, but offers the rest you would expect.

Hasney

Free the bully
I don't think so :(

Seems like an easy game to make BC since it's basically a PS2 game

Unfortunately that wouldn't make a difference. They could have done some weird things with the PS2 code (as is the Rockstar way) and it'll take some time to playtest with it being large and open world-ish too.

danowat

Banned
Am I the only one getting terrible performance on Blood Dragon?

The DF article shows an improvement over the 360 version, but my framerate is barely double figures, pretty much unplayable.

But in xbox uservoice it still figures as coming to BC :S

Who knows at this point. Some companies seem to be ok with releasing backward compatible titles and remasters, like Ubisoft (South Park) and Deep Silver (Saint's Row 4). Activision is probably going to give us nothing. I don't think we have a sense where Take-Two is going to fall between the two extremes, but I'm not optimistic. Everyone's going to ride the gravy train until it derails.

Hey so I've been building my xbox 360 collection after selling some of it for BC. I got Lost Odyssey Australia (I have an India Xbox One) and Witcher 2 PAL. I know region lock was removed. RDR I bought digitally. same for Mass effect. How do multi disc games work? Just put one disc and then it downloads? Any other recommendations for games on 360 that you can't play in any form on PS4? Im gonna buy Dark Souls 1 soon.

Is Forza Horizon 1 happening? Thanks

i mean, every Microsoft published game is "happening", it's just a matter of when. if they wanted to maximize horizon 3 hype they should be looking to add horizon soon.

i don't have a good feeling about it.

i mean, every Microsoft published game is "happening", it's just a matter of when. if they wanted to maximize horizon 3 hype they should be looking to add horizon soon.

i don't have a good feeling about it.

Also bought vesperia dirt cheap along with DOAX 2. But I know those will never happen lol. An annoyance is lots of stuff is just not listed at all for India to buy.

You should have done it years ago when points got converted to $$$. Justify it all you want but not supporting MS account even on the Xbox website is a huge mistake.
It used to work before, IIRC it stopped working when they move the website to match the Xbox one store

Top Bottom