• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox One Backwards Compatibility Thread: Everyone wants it, no one uses it

shanafan

Yup, Bad Company 2 is still the best Battlefield and best multiplayer shooter ever created.

Battlefield 3 is weird for me, though. I mostly stuck to the PC version during it's life and playing the 704p, 30fps version on my 4K TV is straight up ugly. Core gameplay is still fantastic though.

Is BC2 like a traditional shooter? TDM, etc? Does it offer modes like Conquest as well?

Is BC2 like a traditional shooter? TDM, etc? Does it offer modes like Conquest as well?
It's quintessential mode is Rush but it includes Conquest and Squad Deathmatch which puts four squads of four players against each other, first to 50 wins.

It has a heavy focus on destruction and you'll find yourself in more short range engagements than in the mainline series entries but the gameplay is just so chaotic and fun that it bests every other game in the series.

Belker

I know I'm not alone in wanting Vanquish to be backwards compatible. Is there any reason this might be less likely because of the Scalebound cancellation?

Livingskeletons

If I pulled that off, would you die?
Damn I forgot about Bad Company 2s lack of server browser.

Also its nice to see the sniper wookies are still present.

Still hanging in there for MW3 and GTA IV

Strania!

I know I'm not alone in wanting Vanquish to be backwards compatible. Is there any reason this might be less likely because of the Scalebound cancellation?
It's Sega's game, so Platinum never likely had a say, anyway, but it strikes me as foolish to turn down sales and a briefly-raised profile of an IP they could revisit one day.

Chitown B

FYI if you have a cloud save for Ghostbusters and are worried when it says "this will overwrite blah blah blah" when you select the cloud drive - don't worry. It's a weird thing but it doesn't delete your save.

Belker

Strania!

It's Sega's game, so Platinum never likely had a say, anyway, but it strikes me as foolish to turn down sales and a briefly-raised profile of an IP they could revisit one day.

Good point. Thanks for that. (I like your avatar art by the way, even though I've never played the game.)

Tapejara

Wow, great start to the year from the BC team! Glad those of you who wanted Ghostbusters got it, especially because we were discussing possible rights issues in this thread a week or so ago!

JeffG

Is anybody else starting to feel pressure to pick up all the games they've been meaning to buy on 360 before they become backwards compatible and leap in price?

I picked up Dragon Age 1 &2 when they went on sale last summer (even though I have the disks) One is now BC waiting on DA2

Wife's been eager for me to play through the first Dragon Age, but it's been going slowly as we have had to move the 360 back and forwards to the living room. BC is a nice welcome!!

Wounded

Anyone who has played Gears 3 recently how is it now?

I'm playing through Gears 2 on the One and it runs mostly ok but I definitely notice a shade of input lag and some performance issues. I'm tempted to break out my 360 to play 3 unless anyone suggests differently?

Anyone who has played Gears 3 recently how is it now?

I'm playing through Gears 2 on the One and it runs mostly ok but I definitely notice a shade of input lag and some performance issues. I'm tempted to break out my 360 to play 3 unless anyone suggests differently?

I've played both GoW2 and GoW3 on my XB1 (both within the last two months) and 3 felt significantly better.

Can anybody playin bc2 tell me if people are still playin rush on nelson bay? ....just rush in general....rush hasn't been good in battlefield since bc2.

Justinh

So happy for Ghostbusters. I thought that was a fun, great game. I could've sworn I had it digitally, but I only have the disc now so I'll likely not play it much until I rebuy it lol.

Same deal with Dragon Age. I have the steelbook limited thingy, but I really thought I bought it when it went on sale one time or something. Maybe I'm thinking of the DLC since I have all of that.

v0mitg0d

Anyone else playing Mass Effect and experiencing any of these issues?

• 2nd companion will not fight
  • Can't equip some companions with armor or weapons
  • major slowdown in some situations

I'm still playing and enjoying it, but it's a bummer when I go to equip someone with a weapon or armor and I lose all control of the game and having to restart the game.

Gestault

I'm still playing and enjoying it, but it's a bummer when I go to equip someone with a weapon or armor and I lose all control of the game and having to restart the game.

I can't be sure it's the same cause, but I had all those issues on various 360 playthroughs.

JOEVIAL

Has a voluptuous plastic labia
Is BF3 worth buying just for the campaign mode? Im not interested in the MP but I have seen some gameplay videos of the campaign on YouTube and it looks tense! I loved the campaign modes of CoD MW.

Sure is. The Battlefield 3 campaign is fantastic, lots of cool set pieces and still really impressive visuals! The characters are also really great :)

horkrux

I've also tried Gears 2 recently because someone said it didn't run well. Ehh, yes, kinda... I even started to feel a bit dizzy from the performance issues and input lag playing the part before you get on that boat with Dom.

Sure is. The Battlefield 3 campaign is fantastic, lots of cool set pieces and still really impressive visuals! The characters are also really great :)

Have we played a different BF3? :p I think it was pretty bad honestly.

Figments

I find it strange how, despite Lost Odyssey and Blue Dragon being made available digitally on both Xbox 360 and Xbox One, Battlefield 3--another multi-disc game--launched without digital availability.

A few of my friends won't even pick it up because they don't want discs. Disappointing, to say the least.

I find it strange how, despite Lost Odyssey and Blue Dragon being made available digitally on both Xbox 360 and Xbox One, Battlefield 3--another multi-disc game--launched without digital availability.

A few of my friends won't even pick it up because they don't want discs. Disappointing, to say the least.

I actually was about to impulse buy it last night, but didn't because it's not available digitally.

icespide

Banned

Lost Odyssey and Blue Dragon took like a month to be available digitally IIRC

tim1138

I had slowdown a few times late in the game when throwing a bunch of biotic powers on the screen at once. I didn't experience the other two though.

Figments

An aside, but I'm curious to see if Microsoft will implement a Scorpio mode for 360 games when the console is released later this year. Like maybe emulator hacks to make the internal resolution render at higher than the game's target, possibly even forcing the games to run at 1080p with, hopefully, a consistent framerate.

I hope they can do that. It'd make upgrading to the Scorpio all the more worth it if they do, as a lot of 360 games could definitely benefit from a resolution bump.

I find it strange how, despite Lost Odyssey and Blue Dragon being made available digitally on both Xbox 360 and Xbox One, Battlefield 3--another multi-disc game--launched without digital availability

Totally different publishers (MS vs EA). We have no idea whether EA is willing to invest in making it available or if there are legal or IP issues preventing it. It's not just a matter of technical capability. Even if it were, there are likely testing and certification costs involved for a third party like EA.

emulator hacks to make the internal resolution render at higher than the game's target, possibly even forcing the games to run at 1080p with, hopefully, a consistent framerate

Resolution bumps are possible but probably rare if it happens. If there were X360 games that used variable resolution you might see an increase there but for most games a resolution bump would probably require a actual port or remaster. Framerate increases on the other hand are very likely, as we've already seen examples of games that run better than their 360 versions. This will likely be more pronounced on Scorpio. Some games will still be capped because they were programmed that way and the increase in framerate would likely break animations and other things.

RoKKeR

Apparently Xbox Germany's FB page said BC2 is coming to the Vault? Haven't seen anything from EA's official channels but I hope that's true!

CrewShadow

"Let's play battlefield: BAD COMPANY 2 on the xbox one! Now backwards compatible and in the store or at ea access in the vault! Still a cool title, right?"

Thats what the Facebook page says. Makes me wonder how long it will actually take to get in the Vault.

Lucifon

Apparently Xbox Germany's FB page said BC2 is coming to the Vault? Haven't seen anything from EA's official channels but I hope that's true!
I literally just bought the game 15 mins before that was posted so spoke to MS support and amazingly they gave me a refund.

FyreWulff

An aside, but I'm curious to see if Microsoft will implement a Scorpio mode for 360 games when the console is released later this year. Like maybe emulator hacks to make the internal resolution render at higher than the game's target, possibly even forcing the games to run at 1080p with, hopefully, a consistent framerate.

I hope they can do that. It'd make upgrading to the Scorpio all the more worth it if they do, as a lot of 360 games could definitely benefit from a resolution bump.

This is guaranteed. The 360 stuff on the One S uses it's slightly more power to make 360 emulation a little bit better.

A higher resolution I wouldn't be so sure on, not because it'd be impossible persay, but because "internal resolution" isn't always 1:1 to the screen. But I would expect 30 or 60fps locked for sure.

Theorry

I am still salty i missed BC2 with GWG. Cant believe it. Probably had to do with that at that time you couldnt get the games directly from the Xbox itself. Still. I am salty i missed it, :p

Top Bottom