• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox One Backwards Compatibility Thread: Everyone wants it, no one uses it

EmiPrime

So how big would you guys say is the chance that Microsoft will add the Sega exclusives for the original Xbox to the new compatibility program, i.e. Crazy Taxi 3, Panzer Dragoon Orta, Jet Set Radio Future, Outrun 2 and 2006, etc.?

I guess for some of them like Outrun there are licenses involved now that I think about it...hmm...

That said, if the games above do end up in the selection then that would likely push me over the edge to finally invest in an Xbox One of some kind. I missed most of these back in the day despite being a big Dreamcast era Sega fan so I'd be looking forward to finally try them. (Improved versions of Outrun 2 / 2006 alone justifies this compatibility program for me, honestly.)

Sega are pretty good with legacy stuff so Orta and Gunvalkyrie have a great chance. Outrun is dicey because they don't have the Ferrari license, JSRF has licensed music, so does Crazy Taxi 3.

The more I think about it the more I am resigned to keeping my OG Xbox around and hoping someone will come up with a HDMI mod (probably not possible and not enough people care about OG Xbox).

Yes, hour and fifteen minutes from now.

Will be live here: https://mixer.com/ChannelOne

Ta.

Raitaro

Crazy Taxi 3 would probably be impossible due to music licensing.

Sega are pretty good with legacy stuff so Orta and Gunvalkyrie have a great chance. Outrun is dicey because they don't have the Ferrari license, JSRF has licensed music, so does Crazy Taxi 3.

The more I think about it the more I am resigned to keeping my OG Xbox around and hoping someone will come up with a HDMI mod (probably not possible and not enough people care about OG Xbox).

Ta.

Sigh...sounds like I'll be out of luck for most of them then. I'll keep my fingers crossed for now but yeah, I'm definitely less excited about this announcement now. Damned licenses and having to renew them for old games!

rmatheso

I think of games like Kingdom Under Fire, does Microsoft even know their phone number anymore? Is it a Korean phone number?

Can someone post a summary later? I will not be able to watch.
I'm not expecting much of anything from whatever this is, but yes I can post notes

Edit: it is on a program called "Tips & Tricks" so I'm not expecting anything haha

Notes:
Phil decided to put Crimson Skies in show after they showed him it running side by side on all 3 consoles

Still plugging user voice (lol)

OG Xbox games user voice won't matter, MS is selecting them, waiting to release them in larger sets

They walked through how to access a back compact game.

Andddddddd that's it lol.

arhra

Some small details about how they'll be handling releases for OG BC: more curated and hand-selected, rather than 360 where they're casting as wide a net as possible prioritized by uservoice votes, and probably released in larger blocks, rather than dripping them out as they work like 360 games.

That was about it for new info though.

rmatheso

The waiting continues.
waiting.gif

I'm not expecting much of anything from whatever this is, but yes I can post notes

Edit: it is on a program called "Tips & Tricks" so I'm not expecting anything haha

Notes:
Phil decided to put Crimson Skies in show after they showed him it running side by side on all 3 consoles

Still plugging user voice (lol)

OG Xbox games user voice won't matter, MS is selecting them, waiting to release them in larger sets

They walked through how to access a back compact game.

Andddddddd that's it lol.

Thanks Banjo, always helpful!

That's bit of a letdown. Was hoping they would talk about inacessable DLC or something.

Bizzquik

OG BC: more curated and hand-selected, rather than 360 where they're casting as wide a net as possible prioritized by uservoice votes, and probably released in larger blocks, rather than dripping them out as they work like 360 games.

We know we're not going to get as many BC games as with 360, but I'm now concerned that the number of OG titles released may be closer to three dozen - rather than approaching triple digits.

And if the number is too small, I genuinely wonder if OG-BC will be as underwhelming as PS2-on-PS4, but without the enhancements given to games like the Grand Theft Auto Trilogy. (1080p, widescreen, trophies, etc)

rmatheso

I'm optimistic.... Even if there aren't many to start, more could be added over time. I'm talking years here.... This could go on for 5-6 years into next gen to get everything... I'm OK with that, if I can live that long...

We know we're not going to get as many BC games as with 360, but I'm now concerned that the number of OG titles released may be closer to three dozen - rather than approaching triple digits.

And if the number is too small, I genuinely wonder if OG-BC will be as underwhelming as PS2-on-PS4, but without the enhancements given to games like the Grand Theft Auto Trilogy. (1080p, widescreen, trophies, etc)
As long as we get ninja gaiden black and panzer dragoon orta it won't be underwhelming at all. I wonder if Kotor is a possibility, I would love to play through that again some time.

Frankly speaking, I think so long as they get many the hard-to-find games running I'll be content.

Also Dead or Alive Xtreme Volleyball 1, because IMO it's the only good game in the spinoff series.

rmatheso

Both Kingdom Under Fires, NGB, X-Men Legends 1&2, Metal Arms, KOTOR, Republic Commando, Panzer Dragoon Orta, Total Overdose, Freedom Fighters, Hulk: Ultimate Destruction, MK: Shaolin Monks, Indigo Prophecy, Burnout 3 and Matrix: Path of Neo...and i'm good.

Another thing, most OG Xbox games look better at 4:3. If you select the widescreen mode (or run at a widescreen resolution on the 360, or OG) the game changes to 16:9 but the resolution is dropped. So games like Ninja Gaiden Black and Burnout 3 look pretty chunky in widescreen. I wonder if there will be a setting with the emulator so you can switch back and forth from 16:9 to 4:3 without changing Xbox One resolution. Some games support native 720p, it will be interesting to see how the emulator handles those titles.

giving away a Rare Replay physical copy(since MS gave us keys for it for watch E3 on Mixer) USA only.first 4 replies have a shot.USA only, wont be putting my address on the shipment. so if it doesn't arrive, much sorry. putting it here, Because all games are BC, and hopefully only Xbox fans see it.

You drunk?

YoshiMax

Come on, it's only been a month. And they just launched the Game Pass service that relies heavily on BC. Plus the OG Xbox BC announcement.

Partially meant in jest but the way they go about this and the lack of comms in particular can be quite poor. When they settled into a Tue/Thursday groove they set an expectation but if you're happy to go from that to monthly more power to you.

It's a pretty safe bet that Crackdown 1+2 will probably come to BC on or around Crackdown 3's release, right?

I seem to recall them doing that for some past BC releases.

i know e3 and shit but even prior to e3 they were barely dropping anything. is it becoming harder to get licenses or something.

They've probably gotten most of the lowest-hanging fruit. I imagine some things like Crackdown are being held back for strategic reasons, but a lot of what's left may be off-limits due to licensing issues, emulator performance problems, or publishers that are either uninterested in BC or are in bed with other console makers.

EmiPrime

They've probably gotten most of the lowest-hanging fruit. I imagine some things like Crackdown are being held back for strategic reasons, but a lot of what's left may be off-limits due to licensing issues, emulator performance problems, or publishers that are either uninterested in BC or are in bed with other console makers.

There's a ton left to go from publishers who are very keen on BC: Sega (and by extension Treasure), Taito, Bandai Namco, Ubisoft...

Lots of games that I can't imagine are harder to emulate than what we have already either.

Backlogger

Where is LEGO Star Wars 3? LEGO Batman 2? The former I believe was even announced or strongly rumored at one point...

I feel like there are a ton of games that seem like they should be BC at this point but aren't for whatever reason.

Would there be any liscensing issues with LA Noire or Max Payne 3? Hoping for those.

Fable Anniversary
Halo 3, ODST, CEA
Crackdown
MW 1 and 2 etc,

still on my list as well.

jmdajr

Where is LEGO Star Wars 3? LEGO Batman 2? The former I believe was even announced or strongly rumored at one point...

I feel like there are a ton of games that seem like they should be BC at this point but aren't for whatever reason.

I've been begging for this for awhile. lol.

Top Bottom